• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Titanfall |OT| Titan Online. Signal When Ready.

Status
Not open for further replies.
We got it to work by setting everything to low and medium and changing the sound emitter seeings. not sure what the issue was.
Gonna try that now, thanks for the info. Beta worked fine with most of the details on High, tutorial in the full game too, I wonder what the hell is going on under the hood there :/

So I know there are plans for more maps (at least I think there are)... any word on more titans, extra classes and guns ... (anything like that???)

J

JoJo UK

Unconfirmed Member
Wait as long as you want, but both your points are wrong.
Regarding a) The "trick" does work with MS credit. Switch your account to US, and it´ll change the credit to US dollars. I´d never give my CC info into a console either, but both credits and PayPal work like a charm.
Regarding b) MS themselves pointed out the possibility, and encouraged to do so. No wonder, it cuts out the (retail) middleman. I highly doubt they go back on it, wouldn´t make any sense for them.
What, really?

I'm sure I have read that MS spacebucks don't convert or something, not that I have tried it.

And yeah, they probably wouldn't console ban people for such things I was being a bit hyperbolic on that count. Still I will err on the side of caution for the sake of a couple more days.
My MS credit didn't carry over, I am based in the UK and about about £8.50 or something in my UK MS account, when I switch regions to US to buy stuff (which I did for PvZ / Titanfall) my credit balance is $0.
But you can only convert them once, so choose wisely... ;-)
This however is news to me, I was never given any sort of option to convert, were can you do this, on the console or via the website?

No. It marks your progress and when you come back to it, matchmaking initially tries to find people on the same chapter. Full disclosure though: If there aren't enough people to fill up (which should be unlikely now, I'd think), the game will expand the search to "previous chapters". That may result in knocking you back a chapter or two, but nothing major.

Any idea of what happens if it can't find players on those either?

Due to various real-life related reasons I won't be picking this up for a couple months and am wondering what will happen when there are way less people running the campaign.

BuriedStPatrick

Neo Member
PC Version.

Dislikes:
  1. Story was a wasted effort that could have gone elsewhere. The IMC and militia are basically the same, and the story doesn't branch off in any way depending on who wins the battle. They'll always say that they're even, even if you completely slaughter them/get slaughtered. The battles are just Attrition and Hard Point set into context with a few events that don't change the gameplay at all. Furthermore the in-screen characters don't appear if you're watching a killcam, and you probably won't notice what's going on because you're focused on WINNING THE GAME. The story could have been told in a more indirect way I feel through the Burn Cards and other pieces of lore around the maps, instead of shoving exposition down our throats about characters we can barely relate to. And please don't tell me all those audio files taking up space on my harddrive was from the story, I could do without, thank you.
  2. Textures are still the same as in the beta. They're not terrible, just not very good.
  3. Vsync is still messed up. Turning off vsync locks me to 60FPS, which makes no sense at all. Turning ON vsync does THE COMPLETE OPPOSITE OF WHAT VSYNC IS SUPPOSED TO DO. Terrible tearing, framestutters, completely unplayable, but here it weirdly enough unlocks my framerate. What the hell is going on? And this is on 2 GTX 670s with SLI enabled.
  4. Game has no right to take up that much space. The actual content of the game does not anywhere near justify the 50GB install. Titanfall, you don't have the sound Battlefield has, so I think you can compress those files A BIT more, since us humans (the ones who are going to play your game) won't notice.

1. Fast combat is awesome. Parkouring is one of the most satisfying movement systems in FPS since the bunny hop.
  2. Dying in the titan is not the end of the game, hell it can even be a strategy when equipping the nuke reactor meltdown perk.
  3. Burn cards bring some variety to each map, though you do get a lot of those amped versions of guns that are not at all interesting, and in some scenarios can seem cheap.
  4. Low level entry barrier for new players. I've been playing FPS since the late 90's and I remember how hard it was to get into Counter Strike, the game EVERYONE played. In Titanfall it will always be easy to get kills, because you can always just kill grunts, spectres and captains since they can't hit the broad side of a barn.
  5. Paves the way for more fast paced shooters in the AAA market? I can only hope so. Until now we've only seen flashes of brilliance from indie studios trying to capture that classic Quake, Painkiller, and Unreal Tournament feel. Although Titanfall definitely requires a lot less skill, it might spark a need for fast arena shooters again with AAA quality.
  6. It is a game before anything else. Even though I nagged about how badly the story is put together, I'm really glad that we're not forced to go through another corridor shooter campaign in the veins of CoD or BF. Everything feels balanced, mostly because the game constantly rewards you even if you're doing terribly by supplying AI cannon fodder for you to shoot at at all times. It is a game where you jump around and you shoot guys and it's fun.

Ecto311

Anyone else play like 20 rounds and only win one? Granted I'm not awesome but every team I am on is down like 80 to 250 at the end. In the beta I would at least win like 50% of the games. My connection is like 60ms so I don't think that's it.

gossi

Anyone else play like 20 rounds and only win one? Granted I'm not awesome but every team I am on is down like 80 to 250 at the end. In the beta I would at least win like 50% of the games. My connection is like 60ms so I don't think that's it.

Are you doing those 20 rounds in a row? If you have a terrible team, you will loose every time.

Hammer24

Banned
My MS credit didn't carry over, I am based in the UK and about about £8.50 or something in my UK MS account, when I switch regions to US to buy stuff (which I did for PvZ / Titanfall) my credit balance is $0.This however is news to me, I was never given any sort of option to convert, were can you do this, on the console or via the website?

xbox.com -> my account -> payment and billing -> change region
That's when I got asked if I want to convert them. If you do so, don´t forget to add your paypal when there. (delete it beforehand, if its tied to your billing options right now)

We got it to work by setting everything to low and medium and changing the sound emitter seeings. not sure what the issue was.
That did it. Although maps that I tried (Boneyard and Lagoon) stutter like crazy. Gonna drop texture quality to medium (it worked on high with other details set on medium), but, as I said, it stuttered like crazy and wasn't playable; Boneyard was even fine until I got into my Titan, then everything went to hell). Also totally forgot to drop down couple of audio settings too, gonna try that now. Thanks again!

Vee_One

Finally got in. Connected to SE Asia data centre - reports 86ms Ping. In game actual is ~450. Hopefully this gets sorted soon, previously I was sitting on ~90 which was fine

Played through the campaign and seriously have no idea what was going on half the time. I'm busy playing the game, I don't know what half these assholes are talking about. It's like a soap opera is playing out in the background while I'm trying to kick ass. This campaign was such a waste of time. Usually at end of the campaign mission I was like, "wtf happened"

Rnr1224

So I finally unlocked the stryder for my customs titans but the nuclear ejection kit doesn't seem to be working. I usually have ejected during the doomed state but sometimes not. Or is the eject talking about when you shoot out of the titan into the air? If so, how do you do that?

Jito

Banned

Quit out if your team gets stomped that badly, I doubt they're going to magically learn how to play by the next match.

KPJZKC

So I finally unlocked the stryder for my customs titans but the nuclear ejection kit doesn't seem to be working. I usually have ejected during the doomed state but sometimes not. Or is the eject talking about when you shoot out of the titan into the air? If so, how do you do that?

Nuclear ejection isn't automatic ejection, that's a different (Tier 2) kit - to eject you have to hit e a lot when doomed (I think you can also do it by holding down X? Not sure!)

Camp Lo

Banned
Played the tutorial and first two missions of IMC campaign. Very quick first impressions.

Game is extremely fast paced and chaotic, being an ex Q3:Arena player I absolutely love this. Parkour is extremely fun, think I spent more time trying to run around walls then actually checking out the Titan. Lost both matches but I don't care, it was still fun even though they were extremely one sided. I now understand all the complains in this department, lack of any kind of balancing is terrible.

I am also getting pretty shitty performance. Dipping from 60-40ish all the time.

i7 4930k
SLI GTX570

Is it possible to switch to militia campaign or do I need to finish IMC first?

Gotta finish one to play the other and I heard with multiple GPUs they were patching a fix for the problems really soon

def sim

Played through the campaign and seriously have no idea what was going on half the time. I'm busy playing the game, I don't know what half these assholes are talking about. It's like a soap opera is playing out in the background while I'm trying to kick ass. This campaign was such a waste of time. Usually at end of the campaign mission I was like, "wtf happened"

Yeah, it was super hard to pay attention while all the zaniness is going on. All I gathered was that the robot became admiral. That's pretty cool.

Layd Dly

Finally got to sink a couple hours into it last night. Played up to level 12, and through all of the Militia campaign and 3 or so matches into the IMC campaign. Although I had the shittiest teams possible. We were almost always down 2 people and the other team would be way higher ranked. Needless to say I've won 2 matches out of the 12 or so matches I've played :-/

And just like the Beta I much prefer Hardpoint over Attrition.

Same thing happened to me. I was stuck with a team of scrubs during the campaign, and I think we lost every single match of it. Regardless, I still did fairly well and had fun.

Finally got to sink a couple hours into it last night. Played up to level 12, and through all of the Militia campaign and 3 or so matches into the IMC campaign. Although I had the shittiest teams possible. We were almost always down 2 people and the other team would be way higher ranked. Needless to say I've won 2 matches out of the 12 or so matches I've played :-/

Ha, same exact thing here.

aravuus

Quick stuff after 4 matches here and a couple of hours in the beta:

Holy screen tearing god DAMN. At least it seems enabling the v-sync from nVidia control panel works, thank god for that, cause the in-game v-sync setting is borked to hell and back.

Other than that, getting surprisingly good performance on GTX 560, lots better than in the beta. Medium texture res and rest on medium-high, 60 fps most of the time with dips to around 40 when a lot of shit is going on, it's been very manageable so far. The game is still very unoptimized though.

But at least it's a lot of fun! Glad I have something else to do at nights than just get drunk and party now, should save me some money.

Rnr1224

Nuclear ejection isn't automatic ejection, that's a different (Tier 2) kit - to eject you have to hit e a lot when doomed (I think you can also do it by holding down X? Not sure!)

OK! I didn't try hitting e multiple times. And yeah I knew the auto eject was another kit. Thanks I'll try soon!

besada

Banned
Played for a good chunk yesterday. Finished the Militia campaign and got half way through the IMC campaign. Also played a few games of Hardpoint in regular multiplayer.

I'm still loving it. I've been using the minion detector, which is fun, as it highlights all the grunts and spectres on the mini-map, making it easy to rack up Attrition points and cut down your Titan build time.

Been mostly rolling with the suppressed shotty, which is ridiculously good for those interior battles. Not as good for range, but that's okay, since if I'm outside I'm hauling ass up the sides of buildings, no trying to shoot guys.

Still love the sense of speed for each round. You hit the ground running and never stop, unless it's to get into your Titan. As I expected, you rarely see single titans on their own. Everyone teams up and you often run into two or three Titans holding a strategic choke point or manhandling a hard point.

I'm enjoying the burn cards, too. Especially the amped shotty and the amped mag-grenade launcher. I'm also a big fan of prosthetic legs.

The level with the flying monsters is great. I managed to put some rounds into one, but got headshot by a sniper before I could see if they were killable. anyone killed a flying monster on that level?

njean777

Played for a good chunk yesterday. Finished the Militia campaign and got half way through the IMC campaign. Also played a few games of Hardpoint in regular multiplayer.

I'm still loving it. I've been using the minion detector, which is fun, as it highlights all the grunts and spectres on the mini-map, making it easy to rack up Attrition points and cut down your Titan build time.

Been mostly rolling with the suppressed shotty, which is ridiculously good for those interior battles. Not as good for range, but that's okay, since if I'm outside I'm hauling ass up the sides of buildings, no trying to shoot guys.

Still love the sense of speed for each round. You hit the ground running and never stop, unless it's to get into your Titan. As I expected, you rarely see single titans on their own. Everyone teams up and you often run into two or three Titans holding a strategic choke point or manhandling a hard point.

I'm enjoying the burn cards, too. Especially the amped shotty and the amped mag-grenade launcher. I'm also a big fan of prosthetic legs.

The level with the flying monsters is great. I managed to put some rounds into one, but got headshot by a sniper before I could see if they were killable. anyone killed a flying monster on that level?

Yeah I killed one with a quad rocket from a Titan. They give you 100pts.

The Militia campaign mission where
there are like 1,000 spectres being constantly built and attacking you
really fucked me up. Think I went like 1 and 14 because every time I would spawn, I would be confronted by 3 spectres and then a player would pop in and kill me.

I also felt very stupid putting that in spoiler tags given how terrible the campaign is.

Tawpgun

Level 16 right now.

Only complaint so far is the lack of distinction between pilot and grunt. There have been numerous times ive turned the corner and seen 2 enemies, one of them being a clear pilot who was jumping/sprinting, the other one was facing more toward me and shooting kinda slowly, so I assumed it was a grunt and targetted the further pilot first.

Nope, first guy was just a pilot lining up his shot.... He proceeded to wreck me.

THEaaron

Game is tons of fun but it's just another good and solid mp experience for me. For being so hyped this game has much to simple mechanics and stuff.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I'm enjoying it. It was rough getting to know another shooter's tutorial, considering I'm not new at this and it was an episodic tutorial as well. But after a few matches my consensus is, that T-Fall is actually not that bad. Of course I was out of my seat with the "awww sh*t" moments, but then I had a few typical MP thoughts go through my head. So it's a give and take.

I could of learned those controls in 4 minutes, but hey it's trying to bring a breath of fresh air to the FPS MP scene.

Nori Chan

Played 9 campaign matches last night and won 8 of them and I was MVP 8 times off to a great start for myself. Only downhill from here.

natertots

Is anyone having issues with their ping? I have pretty good internet and i don't have any issues with any other game. Titanfall is the only game where I get a high ping, it's usually around 300-500. I'm kind of a pc noob but I am guess there isn't much I can do to fix this. Any tips or advice would be appreciated.

Layd Dly

Same thing happened to me. I was stuck with a team of scrubs during the campaign, and I think we lost every single match of it. Regardless, I still did fairly well and had fun.

Ha, same exact thing here.

It at least made me look good on the leaderboards by collecting MVP's and Top 3's the whole time.

Bizazedo

Level 16 right now.

Only complaint so far is the lack of distinction between pilot and grunt. There have been numerous times ive turned the corner and seen 2 enemies, one of them being a clear pilot who was jumping/sprinting, the other one was facing more toward me and shooting kinda slowly, so I assumed it was a grunt and targetted the further pilot first.

Nope, first guy was just a pilot lining up his shot.... He proceeded to wreck me.

You get used to it and learn to distinguish as you play more. My first two games I was borderline raging as I couldn't tell the difference.

Now, I look back and think "Man, Biz, you're dumb, it's so obvious."

Yes, I talk to myself in 3rd person with my handle.

Ended level 29 or 31 last night after the binge, still feels great. I adore Angel City, but it might be due to familiarity from Beta. I'm glad Fracture was in Beta so I could learn it. Some of the newer maps, like Airbase, I have no idea where to go yet and my performances reflect that.

Everyone really seems to like the Ogre! Good for me, outmaneuver them in the Atlas while still being heavy enough to quash a Stryder. Ogres and Stryders, very popular though.

I will say the Stryder is amazing, though. Anyone play War for Cybertron / Fall of Cybertron? The shield from that game is in this one, the one way shield your Titans can fire from. Love it.

People saying this is an evolution or a new way of thinking for FPS? I dunno, I have to disagree. To me it feels like more of a throwback. Back to the late 90s and Quake and UT. Just with CoD shooting and quicker deaths.

And I am immensely happy about that (although we could live a weeeeee bit longer imo).

gossi

Is anyone having issues with their ping? I have pretty good internet and i don't have any issues with any other game. Titanfall is the only game where I get a high ping, it's usually around 300-500. I'm kind of a pc noob but I am guess there isn't much I can do to fix this. Any tips or advice would be appreciated.

Where abouts are you in the world?

So this game is the real deal. A total fucking blast. My only complaint is the campaign. I mean, how can you possibly pay attention to the story while staying competitive?

I can't wait to play more. Stupid work and stupid sleep keep me from the game!

So finally got to play a bit, game is definitely very fun. Like others distinguishing pilot from grunt was annoying, but you can tell from the movements of a human pilot for the most part.

Also, the controls are dam smooth.

Coconut

Banned
People saying this is an evolution or a new way of thinking for FPS? I dunno, I have to disagree. To me it feels like more of a throwback. Back to the late 90s and Quake and UT. Just with CoD shooting and quicker deaths.

And I am immensely happy about that (although we could live a weeeeee bit longer imo).

I agree with the Q3A and UT comparisons but the size of the maps and the addition of vehicles (titans) makes it feel like Battlefield. So in a sense it's all the best things from CoD, Quake 3, and Battlefield, kind of making it an evolution.

ObiDin

Got my Titanfall X1 bundle last night, hooked it up around 9pm and started updating/downloading. Went to bed at midnight as it was still downloading. Got up and played through training and one Last Titan Standing match before work. Got destroyed, only had 1 titan kill and 5 assists and lost the match. But now I'm sitting at work with a project that is due today and all I can think about is going home for more Titanfall.

PhatSaqs

Banned
I agree with the Q3A and UT comparisons but the size of the maps and the addition of vehicles (titans) make it feel like battlefield. so in a sense it's all the best things from CoD, Quake 3, and Battlefield, kind of making it an evolution.
I agree with this. It's a great mix.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom