• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Titanfall |OT| Titan Online. Signal When Ready.

Status
Not open for further replies.
The pilot weapon aspect is the most disappointing thing I've seen in this game. There are 3 weapons that are viable as far as I can tell, the First AR, the Shotgun and the Smart Pistol.
The sniper is absolutely useless, the single shot rife sucks against fast moving pilots ( On PC without autoaim ) and the burst rifle is useless compared to to AR in killtime between bursts. What a joke for a 60$ to have 3 weapons that are viable vs the rest which fill very small useless niches. Good game though, K/D is nearly 2 against pilots and my Titan skills are pretty good.

I really enjoy the Sniper with a 4.5zoom scope. I'm definitely doing better with it than I was with just the Carbine. Only played about 4 hours in total so far, I imagine the better the opponents get the less effective sniping will be however on some maps early you can rack up a lot of minion kills fast and provide good cover for teammates.

Once I've jumped on a Titan how do I perform thee execute? Is it just melee? I'm either missing the on screen notification or it's bugged when change melee to something other then the default button because nothing seems to happen.

Hammer24

Banned
Once I've jumped on a Titan how do I perform thee execute? Is it just melee? I'm either missing the on screen notification or it's bugged when change melee to something other then the default button because nothing seems to happen.

There is no notification.
Look slightly left, and watch the sideport open. Start shooting at it, there´ll be sparks flying when you hit it right. Keep shooting til it explodes... ;-)

Milennia

You just shoot at the wires of the opening after the pilot rips off the top.

Melee. It performs an execution when the energy is low enough of the titan you are fighting with.

aravuus

Yea, the higher Gen people definitely have to have some skill. This isn't like COD.

Feels like luck more than skill. Some of the requirements are ridiculous, and I personally think this system is just dumb. I want to keep filling bars until I'm bored of the game, I don't want to be forced to play in some stupid specific way just to get that one challenge. It's not like the shitty matchmaking is going to be putting people together by rank anyway.

Whatever, I'll probably be bored by the time I hit rank 50 of gen 2 anyway. If not, the gen 2 requirements I'll probably get by playing like I normally do.

Just finished Militia campaign and... am I the only one who has no idea what was going on there? Spoilered just in case someone cares about this stuff:
Militia apparently saved some guy, who became their new commandeer, and then he sacrifised himself in that big battle on Demetor, and then... I have no idea what Militia did in the end.
Gonna play through the second one just to unlock that third Titan and I'll never look back.

Oh, and there was one moment when they were speaking about some shit happening over the comms, and while I was trying to look at the sky and see their precious scripted scenes, someone killed me, of course. Also, it doesn't matter at all if you win or lose in campaign matches, right? Story stays the same? I was thinking they could've maybe done something with it - if you win in one match, then opponents must do something different in the next, but hey, why bother, when people probably won't care, right? So, if that's the case - why even bother with this campaign stuff Respawn?

tauke

Just finished Militia campaign and... am I the only one who has no idea what was going on there? Spoilered just in case someone cares about this stuff:
Militia apparently saved some guy, who became their new commandeer, and then he sacrifised himself in that big battle on Demetor, and then... I have no idea what Militia did in the end.
Gonna play through the second one just to unlock that third Titan and I'll never look back.

Oh, and there was one moment when they were speaking about some shit happening over the comms, and while I was trying to look at the sky and see their precious scripted scenes, someone killed me, of course. Also, it doesn't matter at all if you win or lose in campaign matches, right? Story stays the same? I was thinking they could've maybe done something with it - if you win in one match, then opponents must do something different in the next, but hey, why bother, when people probably won't care, right? So, if that's the case - why even bother with this campaign stuff Respawn?

I find the campaign to be tacked on. I finish both sides and it seems the story doesn't change regardless of who's winning or lose.

Also yeah I died many times just because I was focusing on the scripted events stuff haha.

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
Had some games last night. The IQ of the game looks much cleaner than the beta but man getting some screen tearing. Didn't notice any frame drops either.

First time on the news maps is funny because I have no idea where to go so I follow the grunts on my team which leads to loads of grunts on the oppositions which I mowed down for some early points.

I tried out Ogre and Stryder Titans but not really feeling it. Still enjoy the Atlas. Maybe this will change when I unlock the customize mode for them.

What level can I customize classes and Titans?

I've been using the shotgun almost exclusively and I'm of the impression it's too powerful. It is a decent mid range monster of a weapon, especially if you can double jump and shoot at at the same time. I'll keep using it until it gets nerfed.
Had some games last night. The IQ of the game looks much cleaner than the beta but man getting some screen tearing. Didn't notice any frame drops either.

First time on the news maps is funny because I have no idea where to go so I follow the grunts on my team which leads to loads of grunts on the oppositions which I mowed down for some early points.

I tried out Ogre and Stryder Titans but not really feeling it. Still enjoy the Atlas. Maybe this will change when I unlock the customize mode for them.

What level can I customize classes and Titans?

The Atlas is my preferred Titan. It is a great combination of speed and armor. I'd say with the 40 and smart play, it's the absolute best weapon in the game. More often than not, once I'm in that Titan, I'm not gonna die.

My thoughts in general are that the game can feel a bit overwhelming at times--lots of stimuli, and different pace/feel than any other shooter out there. Also lots of maps and lots of locations within the maps to learn and understand.

CTF can be great where you get two teams of people trying to win, or it can be a massive fail where 1-2 people on each team are actually playing the game and the others are just waltzing around trying to get kills.

Definitely fun, but I'm not enjoying it as much as I expected to... yet.

Milennia

why? Your rank just means you play it a lot. Not that you're any good.

Playing a lot means your game knowledge would be greater than someone who plays less.
For instance, I'm quite sure i would know more about the game than a brand new level 5.

In FPS where map knowledge and awareness is king, playing a lot goes a long way.
Halo 2 did it right imo.
Or they can just implement a league system, which will not happen.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
Hyped on the Aussie servers going live tomorrow - say goodbye to 220ms to the nearest server, say hello to a svelte 50ms fools!

It seems Christmas really has come early for us downunder.

iJudged

Banned
Last night, I killed a Titan.

This game is really amazing, haven't had so much fun playing a game in a long time, with or without friends.

Forkball

Is there like an Origin ID spreadsheet? I have one Origin friend. Feel free to add me at ForkballK, I normally play around this timeish.

Playing a lot means your game knowledge would be greater than someone who plays less.
For instance, I'm quite sure i would know more about the game than a brand new level 5.

In FPS where map knowledge and awareness is king, playing a lot goes a long way.
Halo 2 did it right imo.
Or they can just implement a league system, which will not happen.
TRUESKILLtm

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
After replaying more of the campaign, I am actually really impressed, all of the little in map details, skybox events, etc really immerse you in the game.

Sure it's not the best story, but that's not its purpose.

The Campaign is completely lol

You will not remember a single Character or the cliche miltary jargon that comes out of their Mouths. You forget the conflicts as youre hearing about them

You will not remember a single Character or the cliche miltary jargon that comes out of their Mouths. You forget the conflicts as youre hearing about them

I also found the campaign to be incredibly restricting for some reason. Regular multiplayer is a lot less...confined, if that makes any sense. I guess it's because there's no story context giving undue pressure.

Got killed by a grunt. Feels fucking bad man.

I also shed a tear every time I miss my evac.

I almost had something this bad happen. Saw a Specter and I was like, "Yeah, I'm gonna drop kick this fool." and before I could it dropped kicked me :(

Really enjoying the Stryder. Triple dash all day. Origin says I've played the game for 6 hours today. Not fucking clue how, each match feels so short. Waaiiit... I played 20 of them lol

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals

It's actually grown a little less on me since release. It's fun but the more I play it, the more it becomes more ordinary once the inertia of a new game wears off. I need to unlock some more stuff though.

Timan

Developer
Is there a way to pick what side you play on for Campaign? I have to win 3 militia missions since we lost.

But I can not figure out how to replay them, or even check to see if those are the ones that need to be won on.

monome

So what is the purpose of a story then?

crafting reasons for general mayhem and awesomeness...
It also brings background to MP environments.
You're a pilot. Fighting with a Titan. On the Frontier. Because War. Between Order vs Freedom.

Is there a way to pick what side you play on for Campaign? I have to win 3 militia missions since we lost.

But I can not figure out how to replay them, or even check to see if those are the ones that need to be won on.

Finish a campaign once. then you access Episodes' choice. You won't play IMC until you're done with militia. The rinse/repeat until you get to be militia/imc on episodes you haven't won yet.

Friction

I'm finally with you guys <3

1896809_10203294647790910_1651764316_n.jpg

Best of both worlds!

I'm surprised you'd want to play it again. :p

Sadly, I believe the faction you're placed in is random by design. Your best bet is to join a friend's lobby if they're placed in the faction you're interested in playing as.

I'm surprised you'd want to play it again. :p
The only motivation is unlocking the other Titan classes, I'd say. Still, that is a good enough motivation to go through the campaign two times. I could perhaps live without the Ogre, but I needs my Stryder!

Win or lose you've completed the mission. No need to replay it. I just finished militia (having lost like 6 missions) and it automatically switched me to IMC

KJ869

Its clear this game does not make any teambalancing during the match but has anyone noticed any automatic teamswitching/balancing between rounds, except when people leave? I have only noticed it once when teams were 3/6.

The only motivation is unlocking the other Titan classes, I'd say. Still, that is a good enough motivation to go through the campaign two times. I could perhaps live without the Ogre, but I needs my Stryder!

My experience with campaign mp was bad enough that a new titan class isn't enough for me play through it again.

My experience with campaign mp was bad enough that a new titan class isn't enough for me play through it again.
I feel you, it's pretty dull and repetitive. I wish they had spiced the game modes up a bit more, I can only take so many Attrition games in a row before I get bored. Still, you can power through it in a couple hours provided no-one leaves and the servers don't have a hiccup or anything.

You'd be missing out on the Ogre, which is pretty convenient for Last Titan Standing and to defend in CTF, but yeah, I can personally do just fine with the Atlas and Stryder unlocked.

I hated the campaign too and I can't figure out why.

I mean, it's mostly just Attrition matches. Yet it sucks.

It's like the story unfolding around you is really distracting, yet you don't pay enough attention to it to know what's going on. Also, my team lost like every round and yet the story progresses all the same, which just makes it feel even more pointless.

I don't think they do skill-based matchmaking for the campaign stuff. That's a problem. It's also a problem that eventually no one is going to be playing the campaign and new players will find it impossible to unlock the remaining Titan classes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom