• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Titanfall |OT| Titan Online. Signal When Ready.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Halo 2 did it right imo.
Halo 2 did everything right lol...

But seriously... a true skill based, rising and falling skill rank is awesome. I really wish games would go back to this and leave the stupid levels and prestige stuff behind.

In H2 you always knew what you were getting into going up against rank 40-50s... an ass whoopin.

Bungie's matchmaking system was great too!

molnizzle

I've been playing nothing but campaign this whole time and I'm really liking it. I definitely remember the characters and I think the setting is really cool. I'm hoping they expand on it more in TF2 rather than opt for a traditional campaign. This "multiplayer campaign" thing could be really cool with a bit more content and polish.

Just finished the IMC campaign. Definitely time that could have been better spent on making another mode or two. Now to do the Militia campaign and then jump into some CTF.

Anyone else have issues with the cursor occasionally going across to second monitor resulting in clicking to desktop even though the game is running in full screen mode?

Just finished the IMC campaign. Definitely time that could have been better spent on making another mode or two. Now to do the Militia campaign and then jump into some CTF.

Anyone else have issues with the cursor occasionally going across to second monitor resulting in clicking to desktop even though the game is running in full screen mode?

Only happens when I have UI up.

Guerrilla

Halo 2 did everything right lol...

But seriously... a true skill based, rising and falling skill rank is awesome. I really wish games would go back to this and leave the stupid levels and prestige stuff behind.

In H2 you always knew what you were getting into going up against rank 40-50s... an ass whoopin.

Bungie's matchmaking system was great too!

I miss the true skill system, It made so much sense. And rising a rank was really feeling like an achievement, and was enough incentive to keep me playing. When I reach lvl50 in titanfall there isn't much incentive left, is there?

The inclusion of the campaign mode, in its current state, is straight up baffling. It's just multiplayer with audio logs. I can't say i hate it, because the gameplay is just the same as multiplayer, but any sense of narrative is total shit.

I just don't get it.

Bizazedo

Map knowledge is everything. It's like a different game playing on Angel City or even Fracture versus all of the others due to it. I simply eviscerate people. Although I'm rapidly falling in love with Colony.

That and it's like these guys went back to the psychologists. The pop up +'s for what you do in the game, these compliment the player and get them hooked. Add in the speed and freedom of the parkour and then RARE BURN CARDS like Adrenal Glands? Makes it even worse.

It feels like I'm on drugs when using Adrenal Glands on Angel City and just dropping fools.

I miss the true skill system, It made so much sense. And rising a rank was really feeling like an achievement, and was enough incentive to keep me playing. When I reach lvl50 in titanfall there isn't much incentive left, is there?

Exactly! You'd see it dip a few levels after some bad games then play youre next several determined to do better! Nowadays in all these shooters it's simple time-in-game = rank which is no where near as satisfying.

The inclusion of the campaign mode, in its current state, is straight up baffling. It's just multiplayer with audio logs. I can't say i hate it, because the gameplay is just the same as multiplayer, but any sense of narrative is total shit.

I just don't get it.

At least it's obvious why they never showed a damn thing or ever talked about the campaign pre-release. Just a bulletpoint to check off.

True enough, thank god it advances even if you lose. Makes the narrative pointless but it reduces my suffering.

I ran into the glorious design choice of having to play missions I had already played when the matchmaking couldn't find any opposing faction groups playing the mission I was currently on. More than once. In fact, about 3 times. I ended up playing some missions more than 4 times total just on one faction. Fucking incredibly stupid.

BUT I LOVE THIS GAME.

stitch512

Banned
The challenges to progress through generations is a good idea however I do not see too many issues with most of those challenges. Honestly I can see myself being stuck on that 'get 50 eject pilot kills'...Thats going to take a bloody long times considering I am yet to get one. You will need some skill to get to Gen10.

Guerrilla

Exactly! You'd see it dip a few levels after some bad games then play youre next several determined to do better! Nowadays in all these shooters it's simple time-in-game = rank which is no where near as satisfying.

and in addition to that you were playing games against people that were actually close to you in skill level, which created awesomely close matches. It's always better to just lose than to win by a mile, much more exciting that way.

Why isn't every game today doing this again? I mean, the more I think about it, it did not have any downsides, or am I missing something?
If you don't want to pass on the unlockable shit, best way would be to have the true skill rank as your main ranking system and like military ranks for the perk stuff.

BDP

Neo Member
I've got a weird glitch. On any of my pilot loadouts. When I change my anti titan weapon. No matter what I change it to. It defaults in game to the standard rocket launcher. Im about to uninstall the game and reload.

At least it's obvious why they never showed a damn thing or ever talked about the campaign pre-release. Just a bulletpoint to check off.

I ran into the glorious design choice of having to play missions I had already played when the matchmaking couldn't find any opposing faction groups playing the mission I was currently on. More than once. In fact, about 3 times. I ended up playing some missions more than 4 times total just on one faction. Fucking incredibly stupid.

BUT I LOVE THIS GAME.

Oh jesus it almost did that to me too. Thankfully i noticed before the timer got to 0, i backed out of the lobby. Thanks but no thanks.

Multiplayer is very fun. I'm slapping suppressors on all my weapons and having a ball. Smg is currently my fav, with the broken-as-shit but fun-as-hell shotgun coming in second

The pilot weapon aspect is the most disappointing thing I've seen in this game. There are 3 weapons that are viable as far as I can tell, the First AR, the Shotgun and the Smart Pistol.
The sniper is absolutely useless, the single shot rife sucks against fast moving pilots ( On PC without autoaim ) and the burst rifle is useless compared to to AR in killtime between bursts. What a joke for a 60$ to have 3 weapons that are viable vs the rest which fill very small useless niches. Good game though, K/D is nearly 2 against pilots and my Titan skills are pretty good.

I dunno. I personally feel like every weapon has its place and each one has unique aspects to it. I've found the CAR and the LMG to be completely viable, and I see other people having success with just about every weapon. One of the things that's always frustrating about CoD is that sometimes there are like eight assault rifles, and only one or two are actually used in competitive play. I wouldn't want Titanfall to just add more weapons to check off some bullet points.

aravuus

I would LOVE a proper true skill system alongside the traditional CoD XP rank system. First determines your actual skill level and matches you with people of the same level, latter works like the ranks work right now in TF.

Winning is fun, sure, I just won the last three games of hardpoint with almost two hundred points, but it being too easy gets boring quick.

Attrition is kind of lame. I hope a more obscure game mode eventually makes its way in that really capitalizes on the unique aspects of this game. The stuff in the game at the moment is a little bit too traditional.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
The unique campaign mission intros were kind of cool.

That would have been the best way to handle campaign multiplayer - unique intros and endings for each match. Also, unique objectives for context wouldn't hurt either. The audio chatter in between games and during the lobby (mission briefing) shouldn't be there though - too hard to keep track of the dialogue and understand it.

I dunno. I personally feel like every weapon has its place and each one has unique aspects to it. I've found the CAR and the LMG to be completely viable, and I see other people having success with just about every weapon. One of the things that's always frustrating about CoD is that sometimes there are like eight assault rifles, and only one or two are actually used in competitive play. I wouldn't want Titanfall to just add more weapons to check off some bullet points.

I feel the same way. I'm currently killing with the first smg unlock, it's more than serviceable. Better a few, balanced guns than a ton of pointless ones.

aravuus

Attrition is kind of lame. I hope a more obscure game mode eventually makes its way in that really capitalizes on the unique aspects of this game. The stuff in the game at the moment is a little bit too traditional.

Definitely, needs more game modes. Maybe the Halo games have spoiled me, but there's SO much potential for all kinds of weird modes that it makes me genuinely sad the only worthwhile ones are the traditional CTF and Domination.

I would LOVE a proper true skill system alongside the traditional CoD XP rank system. First determines your actual skill level and matches you with people of the same level, latter works like the ranks work right now in TF.

Winning is fun, sure, I just won the last three games of hardpoint with almost two hundred points, but it being too easy gets boring quick.

I think thats what TF is doing now, right? Didn't one of the respawn group say they have a behind the scenes skill based matchmaking system? Campaign, as someone said... doesn't use it most likely.

And +1 on the game modes. Why did Halo have the BEST modes and barely anyone copied them?! VIP, Oddball, King of the hill, fucking Juggernaut! God, how badass would juggernaut be in TF... have one TF on the map at a time...free for all... super crazy health and shields and everyone gunning to destroy him to then become the next Juggernaut! This game is built for this lol

The Flash

Banned
I am loving this game so damn much.
TfBqbuU.png

Voltage, yuck. Nice avatar though.

Why isn't every game today doing this again? I mean, the more I think about it, it did not have any downsides, or am I missing something?

It encouraged a lot of stand-byers on high levels, boosters, cheaters, dudes who would spend all daycheating to get level 50s and sell them on eBay

it was fun when it worked, but it was far from perfect

Milennia

I have to rip myself from this game everyday.
Like fucking damn.

Im only sleeping and taking breaks for my health and so i can stay focused for my next session.

Definitely, needs more game modes. Maybe the Halo games have spoiled me, but there's SO much potential for all kinds of weird modes that it makes me genuinely sad the only worthwhile ones are the traditional CTF and Domination.
Eh, the only issue with that is you end up dividing the userbase so much that there are not a lot of people playing each mode, especially the lesser modes. If the userbase is Halo-sized it's fine, but it can be an issue for less popular games.

Spookie

Eh, the only issue with that is you end up dividing the userbase so much that there are not a lot of people playing each mode, especially the lesser modes. If the userbase is Halo-sized it's fine, but it can be an issue for less popular games.

Bundle similar game modes together then. Job done.

AEREC

The Campaign is completely lol

You will not remember a single Character or the cliche miltary jargon that comes out of their Mouths. You forget the conflicts as youre hearing about them

Ya...I can appreciate what they were trying to do, but it doesn't seem to work. There's no reason for me to care about anything they are saying before the mission starts.

aravuus

I think thats what TF is doing now, right? Didn't one of the respawn group say they have a behind the scenes skill based matchmaking system? Campaign, as someone said... doesn't use it most likely.

And +1 on the game modes. Why did Halo have the BEST modes and barely anyone copied them?! VIP, Oddball, King of the hill, fucking Juggernaut! God, how badass would juggernaut be in TF... have one TF on the map at a time...free for all... super crazy health and shields and everyone gunning to destroy him to then become the next Juggernaut! This game is built for this lol

If they are, it isn't working very well right now lol. I did have one hardpoint end 399-400 and some have been 3xx-400, but most are just unfair for the other team.

Also damn, now I want to play Halo lmao. Make that Halo 3 pc happen already!

Very true, but I believe TF will be quite nicely populated for a long time. Just add the modes slowly, one or two at a time and see what happens.

Bundle similar game modes together then. Job done.

This also works

Ya...I can appreciate what they were trying to do, but it doesn't seem to work. There's no reason for me to care about anything they are saying before the mission starts.

I seriously trying to remember what happened in the campaign, I can't recall it was such nonsense background noise during my fights. I would have loved a real campaign in this.

Jarmel

Banned
Is it not easier to kill an airborne pilot with the arc cannon? I remember that from the initial gameplay video.

The problem is that people are cloaked almost all the damn time. I've tried searching for pilots right after a nuke and I can't see them like at all. The cloak is too damn good.

So you have to hope they just normally eject and kill them midair, which almost never happens.

It's an issue of luck, and you need 50 of those kills.

U2NUMB

I have to rip myself from this game everyday.
Like fucking damn.

Im only sleeping and taking breaks for my health and so i can stay focused for my next session.

Yep about 5 of my friends and I are having to actually be grown ups and go to bed at good times because we KNOW that if we do not stop at some point we would pull all nighters. And because we are no longer young we have to think about jobs and so forth.

It has been since COD4 or even Halo 2 since this group of friends have had this feeling. Good to have a game that puts a smile on our faces again.

RazorUK

Pilot, your Titan is ready, prepare for Titanbombs
I was having a look at some of the files and there are several settings that the devs are able to use for the playlists. Hopefully they'll allow us to adjust them with the Private Game feature.
Here are some:

Titan Availability: Default, Always, Once, Never
Spawn As Titan: Default, Always, Once, Never
Allow NPCs: Default, None, Grunts Only, Spectres Only
AI Lethality: Default, High, Very High
Minimap State: Default, Hidden

wwm0nkey

Just went 21-0. Spawned with an Ogre and didn't lose it until the VERY end of the round, the resulting nuke blast took out an enemy titan and just barley took out the rest of the ship. All enemies were dead at the end lol

Slowly getting the hang of this game. I still suck at Titan vs Titan but far out this game is fun. Much prefer Hardpoint to Attrition. Only been playing Campaign so far, look forward to trying CTF tomorrow night.

molnizzle

That would have been the best way to handle campaign multiplayer - unique intros and endings for each match. Also, unique objectives for context wouldn't hurt either. The audio chatter in between games and during the lobby (mission briefing) shouldn't be there though - too hard to keep track of the dialogue and understand it.

Maybe the first time, but after the second playthrough as the opposing faction I think it really starts to shine. Even better on subsequent playthroughs. I'm trying to get the achievements, so I've probably played through the campaign 2-3 times on each side now. It's not bad once you do it a few times and actually understand what's going on, heh.

The first time through was definitely rough though.

Milennia

I was having a look at some of the files and there are several settings that the devs are able to use for the matches. Hopefully they'll allow us to adjust them with the Private Game feature.
Here are some:

Titan Availability: Default, Always, Once, Never
Spawn As Titan: Default, Always, Once, Never
Allow NPCs: Default, None, Grunts Only, Spectres Only
AI Lethality: Default, High, Very High
Minimap State: Default, Hidden
Oh god.
AI lethality option lol.
Im imagining aimbot grunts.

Strider

Slowly getting the hang of this game. I still suck at Titan vs Titan but far out this game is fun. Much prefer Hardpoint to Attrition. Only been playing Campaign so far, look forward to trying CTF tomorrow night.

Me too. So now I just avoid Titan v Titan fights and kill minions and any pilot stupid enough to take me on. It's honestly amazing how many people try to take on a Titan without a Titan of their own.

Guerrilla

It encouraged a lot of stand-byers on high levels, boosters, cheaters, dudes who would spend all daycheating to get level 50s and sell them on eBay

it was fun when it worked, but it was far from perfect

Don't spoil my nostalgia, it was flawless I say! ;)

But seriously, yeah it had cheaters/stand-byers, but if my memory serves me right, it got better with time, and it wasn't happening THAT often later on. But my memory could also suck and betray me as it has done countless times in the past ;)

Beefy

The campaign sounds so bad. Can I just leave the game running and fail every mission to progress anyways? May play Dark Souls 2 if I can just let Titanfall just play itself out.

I seem to be bad at defense when in a Titan. In 1v1 Titan, I can take out the enemy butb im left with a sliver of health or in a doomed state. Multiple titans or a pilot and titan and forget about it.

jiggles

Banned
My biggest issue right now is that grunts and pilots look too alike. I've been killed a bunch of times as I'm rushing around by looking right at a pilot, seeing him, but not noticing him, because he's stood with a bunch of grunts. It's not such an issue if I'm gunning down every grunt I see to speed up my Titan, but if I'm doing anything else and therefore want to ignore the grunts, it's a little too difficult to identify threats from the flies.

The giveaway for me is more often how the pilots move than how they look, which isn't ideal if they're not jumping about or I'm sprinting and checking the map and ammo counters all at the same time.

Jonboy

Starting to wonder if something is wrong with me...

Bought an Xbone with the launch of this and I'm...not having fun...at all. I'll definitely give it more time, but I'm honestly shocked by my initial reaction. It's surprising given that I'm a huge fan of the COD games. Gonna sound like fanboyism, but I've just felt bored with the whole thing. Kinda like, "oh...that's it?"

Not trying to hate. I'm legit baffled. Thought this would be a game I instantly clicked with and wanted to play for months on end. I blame the hype :-(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom