• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Titanfall |OT| Titan Online. Signal When Ready.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like the game, but something feels lacking, missing. I can't put my finger on it, but it feels too easy to get burned out on.

I absolutely love the freerunning and double jump mechanics though.

I've heard this a few times now.

Thankfully i've found my experience to be completely the opposite. I've found my new FPS home. This game is just about perfection... i can't stop... must get back to Titanfall lol.

Were/are you by chance into COD? Ive seen a few of my COD friends go "meh" after a few hours in TF. They miss the more "competitive" aspects.

Milennia

It's really funny when two pilots try four or five times to kick each other while running and jumping in circles.

Its even better when you try to kick someone running for their titan... Only to lock onto them and lunge with your kick upside down, to miss when they actually get into the titan.

Blew my mind.

Spookie

I like the game, but something feels lacking, missing. I can't put my finger on it, but it feels too easy to get burned out on.

Low TTK meaning you can't exploit the free running properly? The crutch mechanics/buffs to help bad players get kills?

I can't help but wonder if they weren't chancing some mass market appeal what this would have been with balancing akin to UT2k3 or Q3A.

The wind up on the kick is so long... if you see the guy coming just strafe out of the way.

Watching a guy miss the first kick and then commit to kicking while you gun him down is awesome.

Low TTK on foot is balanced by the long Titan fights. That's where you're going to get some flavor of your Quake/UT duels.

Hammer24

Banned
Just saw this on Facebook. Almost choked on my coffee.

:D

My order has dispatched. I just got the email. Cannot wait for tomorrow !!

You should totally make a new thread, and smuggle "Digital Foundry" into the title, lol!
I´d take the time ´til GAF meltdown... ;-)

Milennia

The wind up on the kick is so long... if you see the guy coming just strafe out of the way.

Watching a guy miss the first kick and then commit to kicking while you gun him down is awesome.

Sometimes i just lock onto them and always get it when i go for it.
.. It also teleports me behind them and breaks their neck, even when i was clearly in front of my target.

Just had the closest game of Hardpoint yet. Gosh that was good.

ibroLJshSuf9N2.jpg

Low TTK meaning you can't exploit the free running properly? The crutch mechanics/buffs to help bad players get kills?

I can't help but wonder if they weren't chancing some mass market appeal what this would have been with balancing akin to UT2k3 or Q3A.

Have you played the game? Because from this post it sure doesn't sound like it.

People are exploiting the free running just fine, even with the current TTK.

Also, the "buffs" to help bad players are a minor footnote to a good player. Don't impact my enjoyment of the game one bit.

Sojgat

I've only been able to connect my Xbox One to Live sporadically over the last two days, and the Titanfall update has failed to install over 15 times.

105893-Godzilla-fuck-this-bridge-gif-A9u5.gif

Sometimes i just lock onto them and always get it when i go for it.
.. It also teleports me behind them and breaks their neck, even when i was clearly in front of my target.

Yeah there are definitely situations where you can't avoid it, especially on stairs and close corridors.

Jonboy

Well for me personally it's the lack of game modes. I love the game but I am finding myself getting bored way faster than I should.
Same here. It actually kind of surprised me. Given the reviews and impressions here, I was expecting something more. Can't really put my finger on it either.

I've heard this a few times now.

Thankfully i've found my experience to be completely the opposite. I've found my new FPS home. This game is just about perfection... i can't stop... must get back to Titanfall lol.

Were/are you by chance into COD? Ive seen a few of my COD friends go "meh" after a few hours in TF. They miss the more "competitive" aspects.
Maybe that's it? I love COD (and Battlefield). From all the videos and impressions of Titanfall, assumed I would enjoy it even more. So far, I'm just not feeling it.

Milennia

Yeah there are definitely situations where you can't avoid it, especially on stairs and close corridors.

Its crazy seeing it when it happens... My guy just flys around them like some sort of bad kung fu movie lol.
Ive had times where he goes in a complete circle and kicks for the kill.

So is Hardpoint the best for everyone else? Its the best for me now...

CTF would be the best if I had a team I was playing with, but CTF is the most frustrating with randoms.

CTF would be the best if I had a team I was playing with, but CTF is the most frustrating with randoms.

Yeah, Additionally I'm not a fan of Titans picking up and scoring flags in CTF. Should be the pilot doing it and then being able to get in a titan. Also I find more campers in CTF. Hardpoint has everyone moving constantly and is just so much more fun to play.

Yeah, hardpoint is my favorite. Just enough strategy to be interesting, and randoms generally get the idea. I love the back and forth battling, and this is coming from a guy who never likes Domination in a COD game. It's just so well executed in this game though, I can't get enough. Regular TDM in this game seems far less interesting.

It is unfortunate though when you get players who don't think very much, and jump in their Titan when it's not doing the team any good capping points. They're battling it out while pilots are capping flags left and right.

Yeah, hardpoint is fantastic. I tried CTF once, too, and couldn't really get into it. I've been playing solo mostly so CTF is tough to play.

Milennia

Yeah, hardpoint is my favorite. Just enough strategy to be interesting, and randoms generally get the idea. I love the back and forth battling, and this is coming from a guy who never likes Domination in a COD game. It's just so well executed in this game though, I can't get enough. Regular TDM in this game seems far less interesting.

It is unfortunate though when you get players who don't think very much, and jump in their Titan when it's not doing the team any good capping points. They're battling it out while pilots are capping flags left and right.

I jump out of my titan ever 3 seconds in dom lol.
When we have 3 cap i use it normally.
Works well.

Spookie

Have you played the game? Because from this post it sure doesn't sound like it.

People are exploiting the free running just fine, even with the current TTK.

Maybe you don't play on the PC? Laser guns combined with a mouse means most fights are over in a second and a half. I remember when arena shooters use to be pirouettes of death which lasted often much longer than the time it took to look at someone.

Kaibutsu

To kind of echo what others have been saying, something just feels off but I can't put my finger on what that is. Outside of the online "campaign", which might be the worst campaign mode I've ever played in a game, I've been enjoying the game a lot but something just.... I dunno. I beat the campaign and reached level 27 last night after about 6 or 7 hours of combined playtime. I see myself getting to level 50 and putting the game down to only play it occasionally in the future. For the record I've enjoyed every CoD, outside of Ghost, and Battlefield 3 & 4. On the plus side this is the first competitive fps that I've had a positive kill to death ratio

PhatSaqs

Banned

Yeah Hardpoint is all ive been playing. It's good for peeps like me that suck at aiming and are slower to react :).

What do people find to be the best anti-titan weapon? Is the long charge gun a viable weapon (the last anti titan unlock)

Archer is amazing. Only reason I stopped using it is because I completed its challenge. Charge gun is good too, I like it because it does about same damage as Archer without warning the Titan.

Spookie

Archer is amazing. Only reason I stopped using it is because I completed its challenge. Charge gun is good too, I like it because it does about same damage as Archer without warning the Titan.

I think the charge weapon drops the shields completely while the archer drops it to one block.

Bizazedo

The problem is that people are cloaked almost all the damn time. I've tried searching for pilots right after a nuke and I can't see them like at all. The cloak is too damn good.

So you have to hope they just normally eject and kill them midair, which almost never happens.

It's an issue of luck, and you need 50 of those kills.

I think one of the problems is that if you have a cloak, when you eject (or at least when I auto-eject), it AUTO CLOAKS them. You don't even have to think about it.

I think the charge weapon drops the shields completely while the archer drops it to one block.

Charge weapon doesn't drop the shields completely. I want to say Archer does slightly more damage, but it's probably just a Biz crack fantasy. They're probably equivalent.

Lunar15

I really enjoy Hardpoint on Boneyard. Ziplines are a lot of fun.

Also, satchels are ridiculously overpowered. I just use the active radar ability, see who's on a point, toss in a satchel and blow it up. Then I take the point and set up one or two satchels, leave, and use the radar again to see who's trying to take it.

Jarmel

Banned
I have to use the Arc Cannon for one of the gen requirements and I'm wondering does it suck as much ass as I think it does? I've been using it for a little bit and it seems like garbage.

I'm only level 7 and it's hilarious playing against people way higher level than you and still owning them. I still think there are a lot of people that don't have a good grasp of the game and the mechanics, especially movement.

I'm only level 7 and it's hilarious playing against people way higher level than you and still owning them. I still think there are a lot of people that don't have a good grasp of the game and the mechanics, especially movement.

True. My buddy has been playing since launch and still mostly runs to each objective instead of using parkour/wall running.

Yeah still lots of people running around on the ground like it's cod. Easy Pickens though I want to thank them for my 3.1 kd against pilots.

I completely underestimated the power of cloaking early on. Started using it more religiously when moving through open areas and before engaging any enemies and I've seen myself improve dramatically because of it. It might be easy to see a cloaked enemy when he's running on the ground, but it's a bit tougher if you're double jumping around and parkouring all over the place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom