• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Titanfall |OT| Titan Online. Signal When Ready.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some guys are just damn good!

Anyway, I'm growing to like this more. When I first started playing I felt I fell into the hype more than anything. I wasn't disappointed and still thought it was a good game, but I didn't feel like it was as good as my initial hype.

But playing some last night, I'm having more fun.

I still keep getting the same maps over and over again. Do I have to play different modes to experience the other maps? Like Bone Yard. I still have yet to play it!

2San

It's not thread-worthy, but famousmortimer said the Xbox 360 version will be sub-720p/30fps, as I've been predicting for months.
Sounds pretty thread worthy to me. Or does mortimer have a bad track record? Sub-720p was expected, 30fps is sad though.

Coconut

Banned
Having both versions I agree with him, there are differences but they are minimal. If so FOV is more of a big deal to me.

And yeah I really don't get this sudden fixation with resolution counting in the gaming community, like... There are games that look great at 720p and there are games that look like garbage at 1080p, any PC gamer knows this. There is more to visuals than P counting.

People need something to get worked up about since exclusives are rare and the services are nearly the same so here's something to nit pick and get upset about in resolution stuff.

antitrop

Sounds pretty thread worthy to me. Or does mortimer have a bad track record? Sub-720p was expected, 30fps is sad though.
Threads based on insider tweets are a red light, but I thought I may as well drop it here. Mortimer is the one who revealed the 360 version was being done by Bluepoint, so he's legit.

2San

Threads based on insider tweets are a red light, but I thought I may as well drop it here. Mortimer is the one who revealed the 360 version was being done by Bluepoint, so he's legit.
Oh all right, GAF etiquette gets confusing sometimes.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
It's not thread-worthy, but famousmortimer said the Xbox 360 version will be sub-720p/30fps, as I've been predicting for months.

Holy shit. Not surprised, but damn, that framerate.

I can't even count how many times I read that the 360 version was being held back because it looked too similar and performed just as well as the XB1 version. Which made just about no sense at all.

So 360 version will be like Crysis MP on consoles without the wall jumping + mechs?
There are games that look great at 720p and there are games that look like garbage at 1080p, any PC gamer knows this. There is more to visuals than P counting.
I use to think like that before I got a good pc. So I'll be honest, higher resolution makes a difference. So I disagree with that last statement.

I think I'm growing into the niche of being the 'anti-titan' guy, lol.

I'm still getting into the groove as far as pilot-on-pilot combat, but I lead pretty much every match in Titan kills. Scrambling up to higher ground and raining death down upon Titans while they're distracted by other Titans is always a laugh.

I'm enjoying the Titan on Titan combat a ton too. It actually kind of feels a bit closer to Halo, while the pilot-on-pilot obviously channels COD. The movement speed is a little bit reduced obviously, but it's the shield system and knowing when to pick a fight and when to retreat that gives it that ebb and flow a la Halo.

Plus, so many people play in a Titan like they do in COD (always forward, no retreat, no surrender), that I can go half a match in one Titan and rack up kills against them, because I keep recharging my shields and playing smart.

QUESTION: What does everybody think about the single-shot pilot rifle? I like the accuracy of it, but it feels kind of weak. Like it takes too many shots to put a guy down relative to the automatic weapons and they're rate of fire. I could be missing a ton, but I checked my accuracy with the weapon and it's not bad, 52%.

Holy shit. Not surprised, but damn, that framerate.

I can't even count how many times I read that the 360 version was being held back because it looked too similar and performed just as well as the XB1 version. Which made just about no sense at all.

Some people were far too hyperbolic with their praising of the unseen 360 version.

That being said, I have no doubt in my mind that Microsoft forced EA's hand in delaying the 360 release so they could con some of the general public into thinking Titanfall was an Xbox One exclusive. And even at sub-720p/30fps, most Average Joes probably would still consider the 360 and X1 versions to be similar enough to not justify dropping $500 on the new console.

Etnos

Banned
So 360 version will be like Crysis MP on consoles without the wall jumping + mechs?

I use to think like that before I got a good pc. So I'll be honest, higher resolution makes a difference. So I disagree with that last statement.

TF2 looks dated at 1080p with everything maxed out, While Crysis 3 looks amazing at 720p everything maxed out.

Then there is the dark science of AA which can make a great difference in sub native resolution.

If you talking about regular ass console ports like Tomb Raider, well yeah they look better at 1080p than at 720p, but is not a life changing experience by any means.

Coconut

Banned
I think I'm growing into the niche of being the 'anti-titan' guy, lol.

I'm still getting into the groove as far as pilot-on-pilot combat, but I lead pretty much every match in Titan kills. Scrambling up to higher ground and raining death down upon Titans while they're distracted by other Titans is always a laugh.

I'm enjoying the Titan on Titan combat a ton too. It actually kind of feels a bit closer to Halo, while the pilot-on-pilot obviously channels COD. The movement speed is a little bit reduced obviously, but it's the shield system and knowing when to pick a fight and when to retreat that gives it that ebb and flow a la Halo.

Plus, so many people play in a Titan like they do in COD (always forward, no retreat, no surrender), that I can go half a match in one Titan and rack up kills against them, because I keep recharging my shields and playing smart.

QUESTION: What does everybody think about the single-shot pilot rifle? I like the accuracy of it, but it feels kind of weak. Like it takes too many shots to put a guy down relative to the automatic weapons and they're rate of fire. I could be missing a ton, but I checked my accuracy with the weapon and it's not bad, 52%.

It's fine I recommend putting the time on it it to unlock a scope the iron sights are dreadful on that gun im comparison to the m14 that it's mimicking from other games.

TF2 looks dated at 1080p with everything maxed out, While Crysis 3 looks amazing at 720p everything maxed out.

Then there is the dark science of AA which can make a great difference in sub native resolution.

If you talking about regular ass console ports like Tomb Raider, well yeah they look better at 1080p than at 720p, but is not a life changing experience by any means.

These are dumb comparisons of two different games trying to do two very different art styles.

Absinthe

Oh boy, I can't wait for the GAF thread about this: http://www.ign.com/videos/2014/03/13/titanfall-xbox-one-vs-pc-graphics-comparison

CYGITSS.png

NhortYi.png

https://twitter.com/DanStapleton/status/444180741295861760

Proves how poor the textures are..

hmm so no one thinks cloaking is annoying an retarded huh? Hope its as weak as yo uguys say.. Still I cant imagine people not finding it annoying to be killed by some one you literally cant see.

Bessy67

hmm so no one thinks cloaking is annoying an retarded huh? Hope its as weak as yo uguys say.. Still I cant imagine people not finding it annoying to be killed by some one you literally cant see.

Cloaked pilots are still pretty visible to other pilots. Cloak is best used for avoiding enemy titans.

I first got the gun powered up from a burn card and I was like "best gun in the game!" Cause I was wrecking shop with it. When I unlocked it I switched to it immediately to find I could barely kill guys with it.

BraXzy

What weapons are people using most? In the beta I pretty much stuck with the carbine for the pilot but I didn't give the SMG much chance and then there are other new weapons thrown in.

antitrop

At close range you can still make out a cloaked target very easily. They're only completely invisible to Titans.

border

Some people were far too hyperbolic with their praising of the unseen 360 version.

I can't believe there were idiots speculating that the 360 version might actually have better framerate performance than the Xbox One version ("That's why they haven't shown it off yet!"). That's just how bad people seem to want to see the Xbox One version tank (or at the least be made irrelevant).

Of course that got a lot of people's hopes up. It should not at all be that shocking that a last-generation version of the game does not perform particularly well.

Bessy67

What weapons are people using most? In the beta I pretty much stuck with the carbine for the pilot but I didn't give the SMG much chance and then there are other new weapons thrown in.

R101 still seems to be people's weapon of choice. I've been enjoying shotgun and hemlock a lot, and I've heard good things about the CAR. I just got the starburst mod for the hemlock (5 round burst instead of 3) so I'll need to try that out.

jediyoshi

I just can't get used to anything other than the carbine. I might just to pick up the shotgun since it destroys in hardpoint, but everything else feels so scenario specific.

I wish they had pilot weapons that were as variedbas the titan weapons. I'd like pilot weapons that have like a lightning bolt thrower, crazy charge shot weapons and things like that.

BraXzy

Unless they changed the appearance from the beta I don't see a problem with it. It's pretty noticable unless they are against a light background.

Moofers

Dang, I really want this with an Xbone. I have a 360 I keep around just for Gears, but I'm a sucker for better graphics and I'd get Killer Instinct too.

Sucks that its $500. I guess I'll probably get the peasant version unless I can figure out a way to make a quick $500 without selling any vital organs.

antitrop

R101 still seems to be people's weapon of choice. I've been enjoying shotgun and hemlock a lot, and I've heard good things about the CAR. I just got the starburst mod for the hemlock (5 round burst instead of 3) so I'll need to try that out.

The CAR with the Counterweight Perk (or whatever it's called) + Run N Gun is what dreams are made of.

Nydius

Proves how poor the textures are..

Exactly. The difference between High, Very High, and Insane aren't much. Though watching the linked video, the differences are clear as day (at least to me). Plus, PC has several options to mitigate slow down and screen tearing.. can't quite same the same for XBO.

shandy706

Watch the video I posted on the previous page. It's obvious when a cloaked player is near you. :)

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Exactly. The difference between High, Very High, and Insane aren't much. Though watching the linked video, the differences are clear as day (at least to me). Plus, PC has several options to mitigate slow down and screen tearing.. can't quite same the same for XBO.

It's funny actually but it also shows some signs of seriously poor optimization. Even though the difference between med and high is visually negligible, it's still an average of 5fps difference for me.

Dang, I really want this with an Xbone. I have a 360 I keep around just for Gears, but I'm a sucker for better graphics and I'd get Killer Instinct too.

Sucks that its $500. I guess I'll probably get the peasant version unless I can figure out a way to make a quick $500 without selling any vital organs.

Well its $500 for the console and game...

Jarlaxle

Maybe that's why I seem to like Last Titan Standing so much.

I'm usually annoyed by cloaks, but they're not annoying here. They're mainly an anti-Titan ability since you're still pretty visible to pilots yet completely invisible to Titans.

Absinthe

Yeah.. The XBO version has some definite draw backs that I've noticed so far.. Luckily the game is a load of fun so it's easier to look past most of the graphical problems.

Bizazedo

How much more visible on the map are you if you don't use a suppressor?

Been using the cloak and silencer almost 100% of the time, cloak to close in on Titans in the laziest way possible, but thinking about trying Stim and other mods.

I just love using the cloak to move in on Titans, though, or when closing in from a distance.

Jarmel

Banned
You're not completely invisible to Titans but it's hard as fuck to see.

I want to strangle the developer who thought Gooser was a good idea. "Oh hey, let's make a requirement one where the person has to kill players who are 90% of the time invisible and moving in two directions horizontal and vertical. Let's make them do that 50 times ."

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
How much more visible on the map are you if you don't use a suppressor?

Been using the cloak and silencer almost 100% of the time, cloak to close in on Titans in the laziest way possible, but thinking about trying Stim and other mods.

I just love using the cloak to move in on Titans, though, or when closing in from a distance.

You show up as a red dot when you shoot without a suppressor.

Boogdud

I just can't find a main weapon I like. The carbine is ok, so is the CAR smg or whatever it's called. The shotgun is situational, the semi auto whatever rifle is just brutally bad with iron sights. There's just nothing that makes me say "aw yeah staying with this!". Every weapon I try (other than the carbine and the CAR) just seems like I'm punishing myself.

Also, 8/10 times I'm either mvp or in the top two, and then the other two matches I'll go bottom of the barrel and barely manage a kill. It's so strange (and frustrating when it doesn't go well).

Really? Then what's the point of the suppressor?

You don't show up at all with a suppressor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom