• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Titanfall |OT| Titan Online. Signal When Ready.

Status
Not open for further replies.

HoodWinked

That's what that shit was. This junk is seriously impeding my career as a Titan hunter! Is there a cue if you're the pilot in this scenario or is it basically and insta kill if they have it charged?

it takes maybe a second for the smoke to activate, you'll see the smoke cloud then the electricity activates, it does damage over time but pilots have low health so they can sit in it for about a second.

usually you'll only have enough time to break off the titan's hatch if a titan pilot notices you're rodeoing. once the smoke clears you jump back on with the hatch already exposed you can inflict damage immediately.

one thing to note is that your pistol does way more damage than your primary weapon and reloads faster so its actually better to use the sidearm when rodeoing.

antigoon

I'm having a ton of fun with the game but the more I play it the more I realize how thin-featured it really is. The simple addition of custom games and features from, like, Halo 2 forward would be a start.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
It takes a bit for it to actually electrocute you, so you can jump off as soon as you see the smoke and probably be okay. Unless you're in a confined spot.
No kidding, cool. I must have been low on health to begin with when they activated it, seemed like a one-shot. Thanks!
Oh yeah, definitely. Opening with an Arc grenade is an important part of the process.

I really don't like the Archer at all. Cyclone Shield hard counters it and it also lets the Titan know about where you are shooting from. I do need to try the Mag Launcher since I just got that last night. I've only used the amped version of it so far.
Do you mean Vortex Shield or is there another? And I switched to Arc grenades at the end of my session last night and I can already tell I'm all about them. But I was wondering, what's the effect of getting hit with one actually like for the person in the Titan? I'm wondering if I've experienced it in mine before.
it takes maybe a second for the smoke to activate, you'll see the smoke cloud then the electricity activates, it does damage over time but pilots have low health so they can sit in it for about a second.

usually you'll only have enough time to break off the titan's hatch if a titan pilot notices you're rodeoing. once the smoke clears you jump back on with the hatch already exposed you can inflict damage immediately.
Brilliant, thanks. I didn't get that there was a window, I thought the titan activated the smoke and zap. If I can survive the initial cloud and get back on, hooboy.
one thing to note is that your pistol does way more damage than your primary weapon and reloads faster so its actually better to use the sidearm when rodeoing.
Absolutely, everybody should notice this immediately. My shotgun is essentially useless firing point blank into a titan, but the Hammond at least tears them apart. From a realism standpoint this makes borderline zero sense, but it's brilliant for balance.

def sim

Smoke and cluster pretty much guarantees almost no boarding will be successful. The spitfire equipped with a slammer can still be a pain, though.

HoodWinked

Anyone got the best SMG setup?

HCOG + Silencer, and the more you use the smg the more you'll be rewarded with burn cards. so use the burn cards whenever (they wont be silenced but will do way more damage) then use the regular loadout any other times. Silencer wont actually seem like its helping but it will reduce the amount of times you get shot from behind.

also power cell for faster cloak or stim. i prefer stim since i like to move around but cloak is also strong due to synergy with silencer.

ultron87

Do you mean Vortex Shield or is there another? And I switched to Arc grenades at the end of my session last night and I can already tell I'm all about them. But I was wondering, what's the effect of getting it with one actually like for the person in the Titan? I'm wondering if I've experienced it in mine before.

Yeah, Vortex Shield is what I meant. When you get the lock on warning catching the missile is pretty easy. So since most people use the shield still it seems like that hurts the Archer's efficacy a lot.

Getting hit by an Arc grenade in a Titan takes out most of your shields and causes your screen to get all distorted for a few seconds. So it opens the Titan up to a nice volley from the Sidewinder that'll do a ton of damage if you hit the weak spots.

Someone mentioned this earlier in the thread but playing CTF really reminds me of playing multiplayer in the original Halo for some reason.

tauke

Do you mean Vortex Shield or is there another? And I switched to Arc grenades at the end of my session last night and I can already tell I'm all about them. But I was wondering, what's the effect of getting hit with one actually like for the person in the Titan? I'm wondering if I've experienced it in mine before.

The effect of arc grenade to a pilot in a Titan is glitchy pixelated screen (can't see properly except for a super compressed blocky JPEG artifacts look) and worst your Titan shield is being sapped off from the arc grenade itself.

I hate when the enemies properly coordinate this arc grenade ambush and they slowly send in another of their Titan to take you out quickly which is why I have Nuclear Ejection for all my Titan loadout. Need to reduce their health or take them out together when your Titan is doomed.

Timu

WTF is up with the G2A4 Rifle?

It's so unreliable, you know something is wrong when a person doesn't die after 5 shots at point blank range with it. Lulz, I went from 3.4 to 2.8 K/D ratio once I used that gun.XD

ezekial45

Banned
Has anyone else been experiencing weird lag spikes on the PC? For a few games now, my ping when from 30-40 and jumped to 200-300+. It's like clockwork. I don't know whats up.

Has this been happening to anyone else?

Timu

Did some Lagoon matches today and it performs really bad on X1, heck it's one of the worst maps in terms of performance.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Yeah, Vortex Shield is what I meant. When you get the lock on warning catching the missile is pretty easy. So since most people use the shield still it seems like that hurts the Archer's efficacy a lot.

Getting hit by an Arc grenade in a Titan takes out most of your shields and causes your screen to get all distorted for a few seconds. So it opens the Titan up to a nice volley from the Sidewinder that'll do a ton of damage if you hit the weak spots.

Even without the Vortex, the archer moves pretty slow and a dodge will make it completely miss. I've definitely started souring on it more compared to the beta, I can't get much done with it now.

And the amped archer, holy hell is that thing slow. Mag launcher is my favorite.

tauke

Has anyone else been experiencing weird lag spikes on the PC? For a few games now, my ping when from 30-40 and jumped to 200-300+. It's like clockwork. I don't know whats up.

Has this been happening to anyone else?

Happens to me occasionally but I blame my country internet first before EA lol. I hate it when you shoot/melee somebody but it doesn't register and you get killed instead (and seeing the killcam view pretty much confirmed I'm doing retarded stuff during the lagfest from their POV). :(

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Regarding anti-titan weapons, is the sidewinder ever not the right option? Love this weapon.

I've actually taken a strong liking to the mag launcher.

I scale up roof tops and just dump the nades on them. It tears through their shields so fast, the charge rifle is the only one I am a bit iffy on.

I kinda like it but I wish it didn't auto fire when it hit max charge.

Boston

I'm having a pretty good time playing so far, but there are a few things I hope they change in the future. Too many bots and not enough real players is my biggest problem with this game so far. I really hope they add a larger player count in the future. 6v6 just isn't cutting it for me.

HoodWinked

all of the anti titan weapons are good archer isnt going to work well against other good titan pilots but if they're occupied in a titan vs titan fight its really good at stealing the kill shot and also it partially pierces shields im pretty sure since i've seen it kill full shielded titans.

i actually dislike the sidewinder the most it just doesnt seem like it does enough damage.

mag launcher arcs so its really good if you've got the high ground titans cant even retaliate and because of the magnet property you dont even have to aim it very well.

the charge laser despite leaving the laser trail is very difficult to notice in a titan. you can abuse the charge property by tapping shoot to keep it 75% charged until you get a target lined up in your crosshair.

Someone mentioned this earlier in the thread but playing CTF really reminds me of playing multiplayer in the original Halo for some reason.

I havent played retail, but this is what Ive been feeling from the start. Everything sounds like it makes sense for CTF. From map design to movement. So glad to hear about the Halo comparisons.

I don't know if it's that the RC101 is just too good or that the other long range guns are just too poor for fast paced play. The Hemlok is OK if you're really accurate with the burst, but the G2A4 semi-auto rifle fires too slow to be effective and the Spitfire LMG takes too long in order to ramp up to full accuracy. By the time you're accurate enough to do anything with the Spitfire, either you're dead or the target has moved away.

I don't know if they'll ever be able to do anything about that without providing some maps specifically tailored for longer range weapons. Right now, every single map is more conducive to run-and-gun close quarter fighting.

I think it's too good as with ADS and on full auto, the thing is insanely accurate even if you are moving. It kind of defeats the purpose of the slower firing weapons as it has high rof, accurate, and good range. There should be trade offs.

Really to me it should be a matter of basically tweaking/nerfing/buffing the weapon balance. The 101 especially should have more spread on it's shots when you full auto. It has decent spread when you hipfire, but ADS the thing is super accurate.

antigoon

I havent played retail, but this is what Ive been feeling from the start. Everything sounds like it makes sense for CTF. From map design to movement. So glad to hear about the Halo comparisons.

It definitely does. I get the same rush doing crazy flag runs as I did on Blood Gulch, rolling in with a full Warthog and trying to pull off something ridiculous.

Timu

Do you guys even use your burn cards? I dont think I even get close to filling them to the limit. I use them every game because I just keep getting them...and what else am I gonna do with them? Discard them? Thats just silly.
I do, helps a lot.

Etnos

Banned
I'm trying to unlock Militia and IMC Elite Pilot Achievement, is there a way to know what battles do I need to win?

I have played the campaign like 3 times with friends, no idea what battles I still need to won.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I like the smart pistol because it highlights stuff for me.

My eyesight is not great at handling these kinds of fast paced FPSs.

Timu

I've played it multiple times and never had performance problems on it.
Screen tearing is bad on it too.
ibwCQTfMd3nnup.png

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Really? Because all it does well is kill grunts, it's rather abysmal for pilot killing.

If you ask me the main benefit of the smart pistol is that the auto locks work really well as an active alert it just points at threats on screen.

It does that and it promotes corner camping.

I'm getting worse the more I play. KDR has fallen to .6.

You're probably getting harder matches since MM is skill based.

Really? Because all it does well is kill grunts, it's rather abysmal for pilot killing.

If you ask me the main benefit of the smart pistol is that the auto locks work really well as an active alert it just points at threats on screen.

I get killed by jumping smart pistol users about 75% of the time. It's ridiculously frustrating. Only thing that really makes me bummed out about the game.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
The smart pistol can be good for covering a hardpoint while wallhanging, but most maps you can instead just satchel charge and blow the shit out of the room to stop that.

Point B on Corporate though, is hilarious with it. I've had really good success wall running to the opposite side of the waterfall by the point, and just clinging there and having open season. Nobody seems to ever look up here.

Timu

I get killed by jumping smart pistol users about 75% of the time. It's ridiculously frustrating. Only thing that really makes me bummed out about the game.
Only like 1 person killed me with that gun so far.o_O I'm surprised to see it be one of the least used guns in my experience.

Superflat

If you're one of those people who play hardpoint and don't do the objective then you're what's wrong with America. I hate you.

I'm nowhere near a decent marksman but I often rank in the top two because I actually prioritize capturing/defending points. Then I look at the lower ranked and it's some dudes who racked up pilot kills but couldn't care less about the actual game mode >:l

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom