• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Titanfall |OT| Titan Online. Signal When Ready.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really don't think the game looks ugly.

It really doesn't.

I'll grant 'ugliness' is all subjective but it's well below what I'd expect from a AAA game, be it a cross-gen or a next-gen game. Put it that way.

It visually isn't in the same stratosphere as Battlefield 4, it has significantly less complex physics and less players effecting those physics at any given time, and it runs worse to boot.

Stainless

So I Rodeo this Titan..and, no electric smoke, so I stay on him and keep blasting. As soon as the Titan leans forward to let the pilot out, I jump off and cloak. Pilot immediately starts shooting at the top of his own Titan, lol. I come up behind him and snap his freaking neck. Then I jump back up and finish the Titan. I felt really cool.

If you do that it should be compared to other source engine games.

Source engine has nothing to do with the games lackluster textures and such. CoD Ghosts was full of more impressive visuals than TF to me. Player characters in TF also are very poorly animated.

The game doesn't look awful, but it also doesn't look great considering the engine and how well it's run other games that have all pushed it. And even with beastly machines, the games performance feels subpar

Mrbob

Has Respawn said anything about altering current game modes? Seeing a Titan pick up a flag on the ground is super annoying. :/

How are people Gen 3 already?

It's crazy. I Played a domination hardpoint match earlier today where two people were Gen 3, and they were both in the 40s. Almost gen 4. o_O

Coconut

Banned
Source engine has nothing to do with the games lackluster textures and such. CoD Ghosts was full of more impressive visuals than TF to me. Player characters in TF also are very poorly animated.

The game doesn't look awful, but it also doesn't look great considering the engine and how well it's run other games that have all pushed it. And even with beastly machines, the games performance feels subpar

What does ghosts have to do with tf?

Argonomic

So I'm on Xbox One and can hear game chat through my TV but my headset isn't picking anything up. I can mute my mic and turn the volume up and down (at max I do hear the beep) but my microphone isn't picking up any sound and I can only talk to a buddy in party chat through Kinect.

Any ideas, fellas?

Chat is not working consistently. It is being looked into.

I've wondered this as well. You can get through levels pretty fast but that still must take a ton of playing time.

Took me a little over 10 hours to get to Gen 2. Currently at level 33 of Gen 2 after 12 or 13 hours of total playtime. Quickest way to level up is to do the challenges. Once you have completed the tier 5 challenges for any particular weapon, switch to another weapon and hit those challenges. You will get tons of XP. That's how I consistently keep getting almost 10,000 XP per match.

And don't forget, when you regenerate, you get the bonus XP permanently for regening so I'm not surprised to see people reaching Gen 3 already.

Mrbob

You don't need this game on your SSD. I have it installed on my mechanical drive and its fine. You are loading whole levels before playing so you have to wait on the slowest person anyway.

So now that this game has been out in the wild for a few days, what's the general consensus on the PC version?

Game is fun, performance is OK.

Has Respawn said anything about altering current game modes? Seeing a Titan pick up a flag on the ground is super annoying. :/

It's crazy. I Played a domination hardpoint match earlier today where two people were Gen 3, and they were both in the 40s. Almost gen 4. o_O

I've been tweeting at them about more game modes. Havent heard anything.

Abelian75

Neo Member
If you do that it should be compared to other source engine games.

Oh come now, this is silly. You can compare it to anything you want. He's not talking about the proficiency of the developers in getting the most out of the source engine, he's just talking about how pretty he thinks the game looks.

For the record I think it looks pretty good and it runs quite well on my machine.

aravuus

Yes. There is true skill matchmaking happening in the background according to Respawn.

pre_1394810516__capturerespawn.jpg

It's clearly broken then. I keep getting into curbstomp battles where everyone is around rank 30 - you know, they have played enough for the skill system to actually match them with people of their skill level.

"Fine" isn't good enough for this game. It should look amazing.

I usually agree. Next gen, hyped up game and all that, it really should look better.

But I have to admit, I'm having so much fun I just don't care. I mean damn, I'm playing on low on PC, with lower resolution than native and I just don't give a fuck

Manbig

Thanks to everyone that responded above. I was mostly worried about the performance side of it and a few people are mentioning some minor issues. Are there any specifics other than it running poorly on certain video cards? I'm running a GTX 770 with 4 gigs of memory right now.

Mrbob

I've been tweeting at them about more game modes. Havent heard anything.

Yeah it would be nice for some game variants as TitanFall is bare bones in terms of options. I think Titans ruin CTF mode and the mode would be more fun with pilots only. Or allow us to tweak the number of Titans on the map to two or one and not allow them to pick up flags.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Got my first eject and then air kill another ejecting pilot today. Feels good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UTrGprBWNo&list=UUs66Qz8atOp-PTS3eJMoLmQ
Well damn that's awesome. I need to get better at this.
"Fine" isn't good enough for this game. It should look amazing.
I... guess? I would be happy to play it at lesser visual fidelity than my system allowed if necessary for the ability to play it at all (as one imagines those playing on consoles must make peace with rapidly). A graphical showcase is not what one should seek this game out for.
I usually agree. Next gen, hyped up game and all that, it really should look better.

But I have to admit, I'm having so much fun I just don't care. I mean damn, I'm playing on low on PC, with lower resolution than native and I just don't give a fuck
Word

bee

haha there's a railgun! you can absolutely destroy pilots and titans with it lol, oh man killing people who don't dodge like in quake is really easy :p i dont even get in my titan, amped charge is good enough

A friend just told me that jump-jetting makes you appear on the radar. Is this true?

Also, I JUST learned that those annoying heavy turrets that gun me down on dominatio have hackable control panels somewhere that can bring them to my side. Wish I had known that.

So I lost a spare Stryder, Ogre and Atlas refurb card out of my deck. No idea what happened. Does it automatically discard from your deck if you get a pack or something?

Coconut

Banned
Oh come now, this is silly. You can compare it to anything you want. He's not talking about the proficiency of the developers in getting the most out of the source engine, he's just talking about how pretty he thinks the game looks.

For the record I think it looks pretty good and it runs quite well on my machine.

If that's what they mean then they should be clear about that instead just saying "I think this game is ugly. It's not my fault that the person I'm responding to is a lazy communicator.

aravuus

So, it's not broken?

When the last three Hardpoint games I played ended 100-400, yes it is. It's matching people with fairly similar rank but highly different skill levels together in my experience. All the time. I played a game today where I, one other team mate and one enemy were absolutely dominating. The 4 team mates I had and 5 enemies we were up against got like two kills each, and died all the time.

If it was working, I'd imagine most games would end 350-400.

Milennia

Yes. There is true skill matchmaking happening in the background according to Respawn.

pre_1394810516__capturerespawn.jpg

This is some crap.
I get matched with brand new level ones who have played for 2 hours.
Even the people I'm matched with that are my own generation get rolled half the time.
Either it doesn't work or its not there, because I'm positive that I'm matched with random people, the games are way too inconsistent and don't add up in the slightest.

Maybe its there, just really really awful.

I will however, add that i have made an observation.
Whenever i head into matchmaking as a pre made.. We are usually matched up against other various sizes of premades.

Mesoian

what. thank you.

They don't seem to do a whole hell of a lot though. They peck at shields but not enough to make me ever think about risking going into their zone of influence.

Is anyone else getting stuck under lips of window sills? I got stuck under the lip of a windowsill like 6 times last night. Super frustrating, especially during CTF when your Parkour just halts and you get shot in the back.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
They don't seem to do a whole hell of a lot though. They peck at shields but not enough to make me ever think about risking going into their zone of influence.
Well they kill me. Can't you cloak past them to get up to the panel and hack?
Is anyone else getting stuck under lips of window sills? I got stuck under the lip of a windowsill like 6 times last night. Super frustrating, especially during CTF when your Parkour just halts and you get shot in the back.
I tested the shit out of the parkour throughout my session last night and never encounted anything like this- it was like butter. I even tried playing an entire match without wallrunning just to see what I could get up to with double jumping and climbing alone, and that involved lots of windowsills. I wish I could figure out what was happening to you.
It happens often enough that I wish it was a little more forgiving.
Really? Damn. I need to try and replicate this...

aravuus

I'm getting stuck in a lot of stuff, really frustrating. Worst have been small rocks and tiny bushes.

Mrbob

Here is a Steam/Origin question. Is there a way to get both overlays to work with TitanFall? If I start TitanFall from Steam, it seems that the Steam overlay overwrites the Origin overlay and it is the only one I have access to. Which can be annoying when I want to join a friends game as I need to alt tab out of the game to get to the Origin front end. Yet if I don't start the game in Steam, I won't get a notification of any messages from Steam. Would like to see if anyone has figured out how to make both work.

Snicky

Thanks to everyone that responded above. I was mostly worried about the performance side of it and a few people are mentioning some minor issues. Are there any specifics other than it running poorly on certain video cards? I'm running a GTX 770 with 4 gigs of memory right now.

I run an EVGA GTX770 4gb FTW at 1080p, high settings insane textures at 1080p 60 fps

good news! this will be mine this weekend. just wish i had more space on my tiny SSD. this game is massive.

SSD is useless as you have to wait for other ppl to load their games before the match begins. It'll only spare you from the opening load of the game. I dont recommend blowing 50 gigs just for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom