• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Titanfall |OT| Titan Online. Signal When Ready.

Status
Not open for further replies.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Bear in mind the XP grind is quicker with each Gen. But yeah, that's kind of amazing. I've put about 16 hours into the game in five days and I feel dirty.
Yeah, but you have to complete more and more challenges to move on to the next generation.

I wonder who will be the first G10. That is pure madness.

Milennia

whats with B point and campers on ALL maps... just had a dude join my game who set up camp with a g2 rifle in the upper corner of B on boneyard.. he could see 4 entrances and was there the entire match.

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
Last Titan standing is pretty cot damn intense. The survivability of a Titan gives you some freedom, but the threat of no respawn keeps you from getting stupid. It's a fun mix.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
whats with B point and campers on ALL maps... just had a dude join my game who set up camp with a g2 rifle in the upper corner of B on boneyard.. he could see 4 entrances and was there the entire match.
It's why I find hardpoint to be bit of a bust, as a lot of maps seem to revert to the same old CoD tactics.

Milennia

It's why I find hardpoint to be bit of a bust, as a lot of maps seem to revert to the same old CoD tactics.

its just B point all all maps/// that specific point.
and now theres another one on C point colony

scratch that... TWO camping fucks.
guy goes 13 and 4.
other one decided not to sit in the corner anymore.
infuriating.

from where they were you could see every entrance to the objective.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
played a few minutes which somehow was interpreted by my clock as multiple hours before bed last night and now I'm out of town for the weekend. Withdrawal sets in fast.

Playing with gamepad on PC, I switched at the beginning of the session to Bumper Jumper Pilot, which puts jump on the LB (a la Mirror's Edge) as a pilot, but leaves your titan controls unchanged. I may try the Evolved set which also throws melee on B a la Halo, but the fundamental change is the jumping.

As expected, this tweak took an already great core control scheme to the next level, because you can jump, run and aim in analog without moving your thumbs. Of course I'm sacrificing accuracy over mouse, but the comfort while free running is more than worth it. The sense of freedom of movement and momentum is unparalleled in any multiplayer game I've ever played, including ones that outright let you fly. After a couple adjustment matches, I was pulling off stunts that put scripted sequences in most shooters to absolute shame.

Titanfall now represents my favorite control set in recent gaming history. It's just more confirmation of my long-held belief that if you get your controls right first, everything else is bullshit. There are plenty of valid criticisms and flaws here, but they all take a backseat to the sheer joy of the minute-to-minute experience of playing the game.

Will follow this franchise to whatever end.

9hrs in and at Level 42. Gonna get to GEN 1st by tomorrow and then taking a break lol. Gotta study for upcoming finals :(

I'm 10 hours and 32 : / I had a rough start. Finding some form now and am starting to get around 13k XP on average per round. Needs to be much higher though.

I think it's bullshit you don't do some serious damage to the Titans if you rodeo+satchel. That should definitely be weak spot + massive damage.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I think it's bullshit you don't do some serious damage to the Titans if you rodeo+satchel. That should definitely be weak spot + massive damage.

Yeah. Even three satchels wont take one down, but two clips from most any gun will?

As for campers, do satchel charges not blow through walls? That'd be handy

Anyone using a DS3 to play?

No, too scared I'll spend a fortune on the PSN store

Tokubetsu

I did this today and did full shields and around half health/little under half health damage on an atlas iirc. That's fine.

Getting on a titan is supery easy. Being able to flat out kill one with two satchel charges would break the balance.

Yeah. Even three satchels wont take one down, but two clips from most any gun will?

By which point they've dived out and started shooting you anyway. -_-
I did this today and did full shields and around half health/little under half health damage on an atlas iirc. That's fine.

Getting on a titan is supery easy. Being able to flat out kill one with two satchel charges would break the balance.

I guess it isn't too bad. It just feels that going for the rodeo atm is a futile exercise.

Pjsprojects

I'm on the fence. I WANT to like this game, I mean...

+Holy shit MECHS
+I like the sci fi aesthetic
+A lot of modes and content

But...

-Origin only
-Kind of looks like a CoD clone
-Ugmo hud

I'll keep my eyes on it and see what GAF says before I dive in.

Does it really matter it's Origin? Never had a problem with it,just a poor version of Steam.

Plays nothing like COD,much faster pace and multi level.

Graphics while poor are good enough due to the speed if the game.

Boogdud

I wish they would fix the physics of thrown weapons like grenades and charges. Every time I jump off a titan to throw a grenade at it and the general area the pilot pops out of they just go wildly everywhere I'm not aiming. Sadly, they usually end up going where I'm going to land and kill me (even if I'm falling backwards and throw them away from the direction I'm falling). It's like they throw at whatever direction your momentum is going regardless of where you are aiming.

Goodness gracious me this was fun.

ctffall1.jpg

TheLaw

Banned
I'm 10 hours and 32 : / I had a rough start. Finding some form now and am starting to get around 13k XP on average per round. Needs to be much higher though.

To be honest, I was getting slaughter in couple of game I played last night. Does anyone know how the matchmaking works in this?

To be honest, I was getting slaughter in couple of game I played last night. Does anyone know how the matchmaking works in this?
It doesn't, as far as I can tell. My games are a fairly random mix of player experience, with results ranging from complete blowouts to close-fought contests.

With me, it's more a matter of map knowledge. On the beta maps, I'm pretty much dominating, on the others, things can get a bit more tense.

Special C

I apologize to you all for Camping, but I need those EVA Shotgun kills for the Gen challenge. The only way for me to reliably get them is camping hardpoints and flags since I'm typically a Hemlock guy. I promise I'll quit once I get the kills :)

mrklaw

MrArseFace

I guess it isn't too bad. It just feels that going for the rodeo atm is a futile exercise.

If you empty a full clip from your primary, then switch to your sidearm, that doesn't take very long, and often does enough damage

I apologize to you all for Camping, but I need those EVA Shotgun kills for the Gen challenge. The only way for me to reliably get them is camping hardpoints and flags since I'm typically a Hemlock guy. I promise I'll quit once I get the kills :)

I don't think you should apologise for camping in hard point, I'd consider that good defense tactics. Most spots have multiple entry points so are hard to cover with one person, especially if attacked by a group.

Tokubetsu

Right now I kinda prioritize it. How badly do we need to drop the titan? Do I have support? Is a friend titan engaging it?

Just jumping on any and every enemy titan is a quick way to die. Unless of course you're just trying to harass and you're good with escapes. Dropping arc grenades after you jump off is effective.

TheLaw

Banned
It doesn't, as far as I can tell. My games are a fairly random mix of player experience, with results ranging from complete blowouts to close-fought contests.

Really? I thought its may be the K/D ratio or skill points. But I can't find skill points anywhere in my stats. But if its random then wtf? What happened to all the MS's smart matchmaking talk before launch lol

With me, it's more a matter of map knowledge. On the beta maps, I'm pretty much dominating, on the others, things can get a bit more tense.

OMG this. The Map knowledge is crucial in this game, specially in CTF game type. I have seen guys getting the flags and running to other side without touching the grounds, in pretty much every maps.

TitanFall has some similarities to CoD but I find the gameplay to be a lot more fun. There's a lot of major mechanics — Titans, wall-running/jumping — that makes it feel plent different.

Lol I'm terrible at this game for some reason. I don't know why because I was holding my own quite well in the beta, now I'm getting slaughtered most matches :(

I'm not a big fan of the looser sticks on the new pad either, that's not helping with my aim at all. Sometimes I empty an entire clip and hit nothing but air :)

It isn't the type of game that needs matchmaking but they definitely should have had some sort of "proving grounds" or something in there for everyone levels 1-10 or something.

It isn't the type of game that needs matchmaking but they definitely should have had some sort of "proving grounds" or something in there for everyone levels 1-10 or something.

I just feel if games are completely one sided it should have some kind of method of scrambling teams.

Only thing it 100% needs is something to even out the number of players on each teams. 3v6 etc shouldn't ever happen.

Sanjuro

had some really good matches with Viscera/Palmer/sanjuro and a couple of other GAF'ers. Definitely makes things like CTF more bearable. Strats like piggy backing on Titans and getting each others backs in real-time become viable with mics.

Yeah, was fun.

Having people you can communicate with to remove pesky boarding villains is crucial. I wish there was a more distinct animation/color scheme when a guy is shooting your brain.

The two scenarios? I get out, can't identify the jerk, figured he jumped off as well, but is still on top. The other, I jump off, he jumps off, we both have quick trigger fingers.

I prefer to have a friend scratch my back with a hacksaw.

SLX

Banned
I'm really going to spend 60 dollars on a multiplayer only game...

Anyway, will this run 60FPS constant at high settings with my GTX580 3GB?

Thats the debate I'm having right now. It seems fun but I dunno.
I've already plowed through more time than I would have on just about any singleplayer-only game, and I feel I've only scratched the surface of learning the maps, routes through them, etc.

A lot depends on how Respawn/EA handle updates and new content, but I haven't been this hooked on a shooter in years.

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
I'm really going to spend 60 dollars on a multiplayer only game...

Anyway, will this run 60FPS constant at high settings with my GTX580 3GB?

If the Mexican Origin work around hasn't been messed with by EA then you can get the game for $38, or the deluxe edition for $45. Google around, it's pretty easy and quick if you want a deal.

Dimorphic

I love the idea of the online campaign but I feel they've really missed an opportunity to make it great. Love the game to bits but this is disappointing.

Wow I really suck with the Hemlock. Feels like its rate of fire isn't quick enough, always losing a 1v1 gun fight that I would never lose with the AR or the SMG.

Man, Just beat both campaigns. It's a quick job but yeah, I was thorougly entertained the whole way through. Those cutscenes are crazy awesome.

Now I'm just hoping for an awesome night / fort level with a horde mode, Mowing down beasts. Maybe a small horde campaign even. Has there been any word on DLC? Hopefully there will be no bacon camo skins coming up.

Capture the flag is just such a shit playlist in this game.

It just seems one team is severely over powered when they launch Titans from the get go and for one of the map I played yesterday, you don't even have to get out of the Titan to grab a flag.

I did deploy two mines (maximum you can) and for some reason some guy came flying in and grabbed it and left through with a Titan. That just is so frustrating and if you can launch the game with a Titan, it pretty much is a guaranteed win.

Very unbalanced I think. Oh, and we were playing with a full team, so we knew what we are doing and yet it was frustrating.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom