• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Titanfall |OT| Titan Online. Signal When Ready.

Status
Not open for further replies.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Beaten ;)

3DEOn6C.png

How bad are the players you are playing for you to put up numbers like that.

Zeliard

Rodeoing is so obnoxious! If I pop smoke the second the warning comes up... They can still get me to almost half life and jump off safely before the smoke can kill them.

Are you playing with headphones? You can hear them clambering on your hull very clearly for a few seconds before they can actually start to hurt you. I just pop my smoke the instant I hear the sound and they're almost always dead before they can do any real damage. Something else I do after popping the smoke is kneel down and look towards the ground, since that also makes them think I got out of my titan.

Given how early it still is in the game's lifespan, smoke is almost guaranteed to get you a pilot kill. There have been very, very few times I haven't gotten a kill when using it, even against Gen# players. I also haven't been hit with a Titanfall during those times, which would be a good counter to the smoke tactic.

Speaking of headphones, I unlocked the Stealth Kit which I rather love. Footsteps are EXTREMELY loud in this game, and jet trails are also quite noticeable, so I find it quite effective to use that perk. There have been countless times where I've heard an enemy's footsteps before ever seeing them, and it's both gotten me kills and saved my life on many occasions.

xkramz

Seems like they designed it to take 80-100 hours to get to Gen 10, which seems low to me. I've put more hours than that into a lot of games, including singleplayer ones like XCOM or Football Manager. It'd be weird for the metagame to end so "early" into the game's lifespan for so many.
You're forgetting the challenges that u have to complete to reach the next gen. Some are obnoxious to get.

Is anyone else getting insane lag/low connection (1 bar) with the XBOX version? This is ridiculous, I'm hardwired with a solid connection in every other game.

It's a stutter fest most of the time.

def sim

Using the steam overlay so a buddy can send me a message saying I have an invite on origin is kinda silly.

I hope triple buffering gets put back in soon so I wouldn't have to do this.

Using the steam overlay so a buddy can send me a message saying I have an invite on origin is kinda silly.

I hope triple buffering gets put back in soon so I wouldn't have to do this.
I forced triple buffering through the Nvidia control panel. I was pretty surprised it wasn't an option in-game, tbh. I can't get the steam overlay to work though. :/

I am absolutely loving this game. I think it has the potential to mature into a long term game. For the first shot at the game, titanfall is really good.

And right now I am playing it on such low graphical settings. Way below normal because I am using an old GPU (9600gt, slightly overclocked) since my gtx 560 is being replaced (thankfully still under warranty). I am playing it on the lowest resolution possible with every setting low or off. And I still love it.

CTF is currently, imo, the best mode in the game. It really utilizes EVERYTHING titanfall has to offer. Wall running to gain momentum, using heavy titans to defend the flag, using warpfall to call in a titan to speed away with the flag, using stim to chain some crazy wallruns at ridiculous speed. I even like the automated turrets and the back and forth of hacking them to gain slight advantages in fights.

Everything is great except one thing: smart pistol. I don't even think it is that good, but if you're just a so-so average player I think the smart pistol is probably going to achieve you better results. I think the lock on zone is too big, for the most part. And every other gun has to ADS to achieve high accuracy so basically it is hard to maneuver around to break a lock on while they can just jump around and have the game played for them basically. When you use the smart pistol, I feel like you aren't even playing a FPS. /rant

Aside from that, its great. I even like the gunplay despite usually liking more deep gunplay with tighter hipfire spread.

outsida

The hit detection in this game is going to make me break something. I've unloaded clips into people center mass only to watch the kill cam after I die to see I've done no damage. I'm showing 20 ms to the data center, have a 50 down 10 up connect and it just seems off for some reason.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
i havent even tried ctf yet. dunno why, its general one of the more fun objective modes in these sort of games and i culd see where this would be stellar

The hit detection in this game is going to make me break something. I've unloaded clips into people center mass only to watch the kill cam after I die to see I've done no damage. I'm showing 20 ms to the data center, have a 50 down 10 up connect and it just seems off for some reason.

Sometimes you connect to servers that is not your nearest data center. You could also be dead before you even shoot, just a part of lag in games tbh (or at least as the server sees it).

I wish people would learn to play the modes instead of just killing people. ;/
I've had quite a few hardpoint matches where either he whole team is following me, or off killing mooks or whatever, leaving me as the only guy playing the objective. It's super annoying. When I get a team that knows better it's, well... much better. :)

Woo-Fu

Banned
Lack of private rooms/solo queue is going to kill this game deader than a door nail. Hopefully all of that gets patched in quickly. Been trying to get into a non-stacked Hardpoint match for 30m now. No luck. Every room is a stack on one-side or the game puts me into a match on a team that is already losing by 100+ points.

Kind of disappointing to see them make exactly the same mistakes MWO made.

outsida

Sometimes you connect to servers that is not your nearest data center. You could also be dead before you even shoot, just a part of lag in games tbh (or at least as the server sees it).

I've been playing online FPS games for a very long time I've never had these kind of problems. Unless I'm being routed to another country it doesn't resemble the lag I've experienced before. On my end I'm shooting at an enemy at point A but in the kill cam the person is already a bit ahead of that and is shooting me from point B. On my end I'm hitting them square in the mid section but in actuality I've done little to no damage. Out of the games I'm currently playing this is the only game that I have this problem in. BF4 (XB1) is fine, Plants vs Zombies is fine and Loadout on the PC is fine.

CTF is currently, imo, the best mode in the game. It really utilizes EVERYTHING titanfall has to offer. Wall running to gain momentum, using heavy titans to defend the flag, using warpfall to call in a titan to speed away with the flag, using stim to chain some crazy wallruns at ridiculous speed. I even like the automated turrets and the back and forth of hacking them to gain slight advantages in fights.

Everything is great except one thing: smart pistol. I don't even think it is that good, but if you're just a so-so average player I think the smart pistol is probably going to achieve you better results. I think the lock on zone is too big, for the most part. And every other gun has to ADS to achieve high accuracy so basically it is hard to maneuver around to break a lock on while they can just jump around and have the game played for them basically. When you use the smart pistol, I feel like you aren't even playing a FPS. /rant

Aside from that, its great. I even like the gunplay despite usually liking more deep gunplay with tighter hipfire spread.

I totally agree on CTF. Most of the maps are very clearly built around it with multiple clear parkour routes between flags. Rise is my favorite of course. Using the ziplines you end up so high up nobody can really touch you. But even with so much mobility, maintaining Titan advantage is really important aswell, since a Stryder with their core charged is almost a guaranteed cap if they get the flag with any amount of health remaining. Plus Titans are great a defense especially when using the Chaingun, which shreds pilots.

It's such a good mode that I kinda hope they focus on it in the next game, a la Tribes. I'm sure it won't happen of course as it wouldn't surprise me if most players just spam Attrition even though it's by far the least interesting mode.

As for the Smart Pistol, I agree that in theory it's a problem weapon but in practice, the actual gun isn't very good. People only beat me with Smart Pistol if I don't see them for several seconds, which killcam proves. If they're in my field of view they mostly end up just trying to ADS it in which case it's just a sidearm, and probably the worst one in the game considering how good the Auto Pistol and Wingman are.

Like I said, if you think about it in an academic way, it's easy to get on a soapbox and talk about how it's a cheap weapon that doesn't belong in a shooter but ultimately the gun isn't good at all. This is all being said having only played on PC, though. It's probably better on consoles.

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
I've also had some hit detection issues, full connection and ping to server is roughly 15-20.

With the campaign I lost a few matches so want to replay them for the achievements. Is it possible to find which levels I lost on?

All in all I'm doing pretty well, usually averaging more kills than deaths (with the odd exception). Still though, I feel like I'm dying a bit too much, because people get the drop on me. Maybe it's because I'm not used to the new maps yet, but anyone got any pointers on how I can stay alive just a big longer?

Zeliard

I wish people would learn to play the modes instead of just killing people. ;/

This is the problem with a game that shows K/D ratios. It becomes about people dick-waving and gunning for kills at the expense of helping their team win the objective.

Tribes: Ascend had the right idea here.

i7-2600k @ 4.4GHz, GTX 590, 16GB RAM. Starting to get a bit dated, but Titanfall shouldn't be the first game to bring my rig to its knees.

I have the 2600k @4.4ghz as well, 16GB of RAM, but I have a 780Ti instead. I'm pretty much a sold 60fps with max settings except a few odd spots here and then.

Been playing the campaigns, the game plays really really well. Loving the environments, adds a lot to the whole thing.

So far, 10 games in, every one a loss. Not great planners, the IMC.

Lunzio

Oh man. I don't consider myself toooo crappy but I'm Rank 49 and was put on a team with sub-20s vs. all gen 3s... I've never had so little fun :(

Game is ridiculously fun, but it pisses me off more than any game I play, and I play Dota. Every time I drop the flag or die right before I can cap it, I yell at the screen. When there are campers I curse pervasively. I have no idea why it pisses me off so much compared to something like Dark Souls or Dota. But good lord, is it fun.

Game is ridiculously fun, but it pisses me off more than any game I play, and I play Dota. Every time I drop the flag or die right before I can cap it, I yell at the screen. When there are campers I curse pervasively. I have no idea why it pisses me off so much compared to something like Dark Souls and Dota. but holy hell is it fun.

I'm the same way when it comes to multiplayer games. :p

Kydd BlaZe

Really interested in seeing how the sales for this game were. A lot of my friends picked it up over the weekend, and the buzz surrounding this game seems pretty strong so far.

Really interested in seeing how the sales for this game were. A lot of my friends picked it up over the weekend, and the buzz surrounding this game seems pretty strong so far.
For some reason I doubt it sold incredibly well, but I could be very wrong about that. The game totally deserves it despite its flaws.

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
Man it's bullshit destroying some of these Titans. The Stryder is the weakest right?

I had such a hard time going up against someone with it as an Ogre and I lost even with Damage Core activated and using so many rockets on it. I ejected then hammered so many hits with the Mag Launcher and still couldn't take him down.

Serick

Married Member
Man it's bullshit destroying some of these Titans. The Stryder is the weakest right?

I had such a hard time going up against someone with it as an Ogre and I lost even with Damage Core activated and using so many rockets on it. I ejected then hammered so many hits with the Mag Launcher and still couldn't take him down.

A little confused here...

Stryder has the weakest armor but the most agile with 3 charges of dash.
Ogre has the strongest armor but the least agile with 1 charge of dash.
Atlas is in the middle and has 2 charges of dash.

Stryder = Dash Core
Ogre = Shield Core
Atlas = Damage Core

It sounds like you were fighting a Stryder as an Atlas and couldn't kill him if I understand that right. Keep in mind a LOT of the Titan weapons have considerable travel time and a good Stryder pilot will evade a lot of your shots.

jhawk6

I've also had some hit detection issues, full connection and ping to server is roughly 15-20.

With the campaign I lost a few matches so want to replay them for the achievements. Is it possible to find which levels I lost on?

Nope, it doesn't track which missions you need and what's worse is if you need any militia wins good luck. I need to win the first two Militia missions and the only way I know to get on the militia team is using the quick play option because selecting the mission will always put u on IMC. Chances are slim for me to get the first or second mission and land on the militia side with a decent enough team to actually win.

I've almost resigned to just wait for a patch that allows you to choose which side or at least randomize which side you end up on when you select a specific mission.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Credit it to good general design and some expert flag placement. CTF was added to the game after the maps were gameplay complete. Same with LTS.

One of my favorite things about the game is how well the maps work for each mode. Serious props, as it couldn't have been easy to have all of these routes, have it work with 6 on 6 titan fights, etc.

BraXzy

I'm more interested to see how it fairs on X360. There isn't a large enough install base on the Xbox One to take anything from the sales imo.

T.O.P

Banned
Longest session so far, my day went like 5 hours DkS2 and 6 hours of Titanfall

i feel like i'm gonna die soon lol

Anyway, had some awesome matches of Capture the Flag, Boneyard is fun as fuck especially in this mode, between the cables and all the other ways to move around is absolutely sick

Gonna stay on this for a bit, Attrition and LTS were the only one i've ever focused on

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom