• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Titanfall |OT| Titan Online. Signal When Ready.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Milennia

I ran into the problem many do yesterday.

I would capture and hold a point (usually B) completely by myself. All the other 5 people on my team had to do was hold ONE other point, and they couldn't freaking do it. Drove me nuts...ended up finding another server/lobby.

yeah, you can hold B on most maps on your own (except training ground, because yeah, maybe even colony as well) i have found as well.

(Fracture B cap is such a massive example of how well you can hold an objective on your own, i do it every single time)

Izuna

Banned
Funny thing is that I got both of those back in the day haha. I feel for my team because I am a beast with the 40mm but I can't use it

JimiNutz

Banned
camping is 100% a thing in titan fall.
corner campers for days in objective game modes, all of them.
people staring down a hallway all game, its all here.

Sure, some people camp but in such a fast paced game I doubt these people are doing particularly well.
I know that people camp the hard points but that's a legitimate tactic since you get points for holding the objective. People camping hallways in attrition are surely not going to score highly. As a pilot I aim to rarely run through a hallway anyway. Maybe I'm just lucky but I rarely seem to be hit by campers and have never been hit by a sniper.

At the very least these two aspects of FPS games seem to be reduced (at least in my experience anyway).

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Only standing brazenly in an open doorway to an objective is considered to be defending. Positioning be damned.

Milennia

Sure, some people camp but in such a fast paced game I doubt these people are doing particularly well.
I know that people camp the hard points but that's a legitimate tactic since you get points for holding the objective. People camping hallways in attrition are surely not going to score highly. As a pilot I aim to rarely run through a hallway anyway. Maybe I'm just lucky but I rarely seem to be hit by campers and have never been hit by a sniper.

At the very least these two aspects of FPS games seem to be reduced (at least in my experience anyway).

i responded to you saying camping wasn't a thing in the game, not that they do well or not.
in every single one of my games they do terribly.
especially the ones that head to the same corner after dying to someone who expects it.

shandy706

Slightly off subject, but I remember people directing others in this thread (and other TF threads) on how to do a VPN "easily" into a site. I want to take advantage of a sale, but it's Europe only I think.

Can someone point me to a tutorial or easy setup?

Sometimes I get stomped, and then sometimes I go full beast mode:

2014-03-17_12-37-23.jpg

That win felt awesome, wish I had recorded that session. This game has such wild ups and downs. Super frustrating and super rewarding in a single match.

def sim

this is what consider it to be as well yes.
blatantly there for kills and not to PTFO, looking for kills on those who are trying to play the mode.
in a game where others can't see your k/d unless you tell them exactly what it is yourself, it confuses me that this exists in this game to an extent.
realistically thinking however, they are coming form other games where they do the same thing i would imagine, so its a routine.

edit: oh, you said WOULDNT be camping, skimmed right over that.. never mind.

Yeah, sure. When I'm playing with friends I'm not going to complain if one or two decide to guard a hardpoint while the rest move on to the next. It's a team based game and they chose their role. It still helps.

I don't know if they are standing the entire time or moving from one corner to the next. Whatever works, it really doesn't matter. Going back to the throwing thing in fighting games, if my opponent can't tech throws, I'll keep using throws in mix ups. Similarly, if standing still or hanging in the corner helps them succeed in guarding a point, then more power to them.

It's the ones who defend it who do it really.

We could have just had a conversation about this, but sure, go for the ad hominem.

Alx

So, after playing quite a lot, the conclusion is that I'm having a lot of fun, but also completely suck. I may be halfway decent at capturing points, but not at shooting things (except for grunts, thanks for them). So here are a few questions from a noob who skipped the whole "call of duty" generation :
- when facing an opponent 1 vs 1, I'm always the one getting killed. I sometimes get the feeling that I shoot him several times, but his kill cam seems to show I get down very quickly. Is he just aiming better ? Is it my weapon ? Does crouching help ?
- I'm almost as terrible with "kick battles", is there a way to target a kick at an opponent instead of dancing around him ? And how do you jump kick ?
- Sometimes the kill cam shows me the opponent noticing me from veeeery far away and shooting me at once. How the heck is he spotting me as 3 pixels in the middle of the ongoing chaos ? Are people that good ?
- how should I start playing as a team ? I find it quite easy to support my partners when they're in a titan (mostly shooting at the other titan, or throwing grenades... oops sorry for messing your shield buddy), but as pilots everybody is just running/jumping too fast to follow.

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
Why is it that the PC version shows the ping on the leadboards yet on the XB1 version just 1-4 bars? I like to know an accurate reading of my ping not some bar.

So, after playing quite a lot, the conclusion is that I'm having a lot of fun, but also completely suck. I may be halfway decent at capturing points, but not at shooting things (except for grunts, thanks for them). So here are a few questions from a noob who skipped the whole "call of duty" generation :
- when facing an opponent 1 vs 1, I'm always the one getting killed. I sometimes get the feeling that I shoot him several times, but his kill cam seems to show I get down very quickly. Is he just aiming better ? Is it my weapon ? Does crouching help ?
- I'm almost as terrible with "kick battles", is there a way to target a kick at an opponent instead of dancing around him ? And how do you jump kick ?
- Sometimes the kill cam shows me the opponent noticing me from veeeery far away and shooting me at once. How the heck is he spotting me as 3 pixels in the middle of the ongoing chaos ? Are people that good ?
- how should I start playing as a team ? I find it quite easy to support my partners when they're in a titan (mostly shooting at the other titan, or throwing grenades... oops sorry for messing your shield buddy), but as pilots everybody is just running/jumping too fast to follow.

All kicks are jump kicks.

satchel charges, mines, radar ability in CTF are going to make that mode much more difficult once the initial veneer settles on the game. I'll be interested to see the evolution of that gamemode in the coming months.

So the game (PC) doesn't recognize my microphone. Well, it does, at least when I plug it in before the game launches, but it'll only show the voice indicator, and people still won't be able to hear me. Anyone know how to fix this?

def sim

Why is it that the PC version shows the ping on the leadboards yet on the XB1 version just 1-4 bars? I like to know an accurate reading of my ping not some bar.

My assumption is they thought the general console audience wouldn't know what ping is.

JimiNutz

Banned
i responded to you saying camping wasn't a thing in the game, not that they do well or not.
in every single one of my games they do terribly.
especially the ones that head to the same corner after dying to someone who expects it.

Sorry dude, didn't mean to start a shit storm about camping. Just pleased that, at the very least, it doesn't seem to be quite as big of an issue in Titanfall as it is in some other FPSs.

Last few pages of this thread has made me realise that I should probably start using the satchel charges. I'm still using the arc grenade things!

I was in the exact same boat and over time you just get better but I still lose more often than I win in close quarters combat. As for people noticing you from far away, I'm going to say it's mostly due to their skill. I have a hard time noticing people as well. I'm on PC and in my last session I finally bumped up the FOV from 70 to 90 and that seems to have made a HUGE difference. It seemed like I noticed far more people than ever before.

Milennia

Sorry dude, didn't mean to start a shit storm about camping. Just pleased that, at the very least, it doesn't seem to be quite as big of an issue in Titanfall as it is in some other FPSs.

Last few pages of this thread has made me realise that I should probably start using the satchel charges. I'm still using the arc grenade things!

its not an issue, i didn't either, wasn't my intention lol.
this game gives me more way of dealing with them than my other FPS games do, which I'm happy about.

BondFancy

I cannot stand the plasma railgun it's a complete crapshoot trying to kill another pilot when your screen starts shaking from getting hit by a sidewinder...

I'd assume your ping would be roughly the same as whatever it told you on the main menu when you connected to the server. Do you really need to know your exact latency within 10 milliseconds?

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
You are avoiding the actual problem. I'm fine with you rigging the damn thing, but also standing in the corner watching every entrance? That is camping.
You may have trouble staying in the same room as the flag, but some people are doing it extremely well.

I wouldn't consider guarding the flag camping.

Is letting the opposing team get all 6 of their Titans out and not doing anything to stop them a new thing now that people like doing? The past couple days I've lost track of how many matches where they have all of their Titans grouped together and 1 might get destroyed and if you go anywhere near them you have 5 or 6 Titans shooting at you at once.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Yeah that's really not camping. It's Capture the flag ensuring the other team can't steal your flag is half the game.

Hard points a bit different since you can kill people at the same hard point and not really help your team.

Haines

Banned
Camping doesn't work that well. You just let the other team get titans fast and take map control. Also like a billion ways to kill campers.

Most of the time they're that good. Sometimes, they have a little software help. I could link you to a youtube or two, but I don't want to give anyone here any ideas, even though I'm sure no GAFer would stoop so low.

Milennia

Most of the time they're that good. Sometimes, they have a little software help. I could link you to a youtube or two, but I don't want to give anyone here any ideas, even though I'm sure no GAFer would stoop so low.

i guess this is what respawn meant when they saw some cheaters?

Jito

Banned
Bare in mind I'm talking about Hardpoint not CTF when scoffing at these defense claims. Hardpoint is just as much about attacking all the time more so than defending due to the speed you can move around the map. I personally think that you're going to be a better asset to your team moving constantly around the map capping points then clearing out contested ones, sitting in a corner is not helpful to your team as that's one less player on the field. Hardpoints change hands so often and quickly that it just isn't worthwhile camping. And finally it's extremely cheap and skilless pointing a gun at a door whilst hiding in a corner.

This game for me is about high speed shootouts and crazy jumps, just grinds my gears seeing a load of you enjoying and patting each other on the back for sitting in a corner in this game. Completely baffles me, but whatever floats your boat I guess.

Alx

I was afraid it was a skill issue. :p Certainly not a hack anyway, since I'm playing on console.

Finally managing to get my Titan to land on an opponent Titan is such a satisfying feeling

Yeah, definitely. :) I've also tried twice to crush the evacuation ship with it, with no success yet. It always fall next to it, it's not easy to aim at the right spot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom