• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Titanfall |OT| Titan Online. Signal When Ready.

Status
Not open for further replies.

b0bbyJ03

I feel like this is one of the first games that I feel like playing with a controller on PC isn't a handicap.

Like in Battlefield 4 I play on my PS4 because I don't like Mouse and Keyboard, and if I try to plug in my controller for that game on PC, I get wrecked.

This game... I'm doing really well with just a controller.

yes, this is kind of what i was asking about in my last post. I was kind of intimidated being a console only player and just having built my first PC. I heard horror stories about trying to use a pad on PC games but I'm in first place half the time. still trying to learn KB/M tho just cause id rather play the proper way if im going to join the PC community.

solarus

Is the server down? My PC version can't get past the main menu :/
EDIT: To give more info, it just says searching for data center in the lower right and the ping for all of them is -1

Gaz_RB

yes, this is kind of what i was asking about in my last post. I was kind of intimidated being a console only player and just having built my first PC. I heard horror stories about trying to use a pad on PC games but I'm in first place half the time. still trying to learn KB/M tho just cause id rather play the proper way if im going to join the PC community.

The thing with this game is that there is so much more at play than just the need for pinpoint accuracy. I think it's good to get decent with k/m if you're going to have a PC, but you can still have fun with a controller( especially for single player), and even be really competitive if you're really good with a controller.

alterno69

Banned
Ok, hype got the best of me.
2V2LCEy.png

It's gonna be a long wait.

How will it run with my specs?
Intel Core i7 @3.5ghz
8GB RAM
1gb Gforce GTX 560ti
Win7 64bits

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Ok, hype got the best of me.

It's gonna be a long wait.

How will it run with my specs?
Intel Core i7 @3.5ghz
8GB RAM
1gb Gforce GTX 560ti
Win7 64bits
The 560 will be holding you back a little, I think you'll wanna try turning shadows down first and foremost if I remember correctly.

Titans the new warthogs in ctf?
Grab flag, jump on, escape before getting blown up

Here's a fun strategy:

Run with a Pre-charged Core Ability burn card and something that accelerates Titan spawn like Pull Rank.

Burn toward a Titan, make a Hail Mary run at the flag when you're basically at Titanfall, burn the pre-charge but save it until you grab the flag.

Easily dash to victory while your entire team defends for an easy cap.

Sojgat

I suck bad at this game. I guess I do alright as a pilot but I cannot do anything as a Titan. I just call mine in and let it go auto because piloting a titan is a waste of time for me. I cannot kill any other titan 1 on 1 it seems. Playing as a pilot is just so much more fun. Any tips? What chassis, weapon, tactics, etc.?

Also I think I'm going to try the switch from m/kb to controller. My skills have eroded over the years apparently, and I'm going to give the auto aim a shot.

If you're going to mainly use your Titan in guard or follow mode make sure it has a Vortex shield equpped, as it will actually use it. Stick close to your Titan as it can run good interference for you, but the AI is no match for human players. Also, you're probably better off playing objective modes, it's just a walking target in Attrition.

Gaz_RB

Learning how to properly and effectively pilot your Titan is one of the most important parts of this game. If you can't use your Titan, your team is basically operating at 5/6 capacity.

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
I suck bad at this game. I guess I do alright as a pilot but I cannot do anything as a Titan. I just call mine in and let it go auto because piloting a titan is a waste of time for me. I cannot kill any other titan 1 on 1 it seems. Playing as a pilot is just so much more fun. Any tips? What chassis, weapon, tactics, etc.?

Also I think I'm going to try the switch from m/kb to controller. My skills have eroded over the years apparently, and I'm going to give the auto aim a shot.

Stryder + Quad Rockets is the only way I roll now. Use your dashes A LOT in combat, as this is the advantage of a Stryder. Electric smoke can be used for smokescreens and confusion, on top of getting a Pilot of your back.

Principate

Saint Titanfall

Stryder rapid fire quad, regenerating shield , cluster grenade and smoke. Keep mobile if you get into too much trouble smoke and disengage.

Aim cluster grenade at Titans feet or point blank if you can't miss, move and dodge and unload your clip.

Burst down titans like they were paper.

Damn, was that a random card you got or did you unlock it at a level?

Comes in packs and challenges. I combine with radar and tactical recharge reduce and your pretty much a one on one king.

Izuna

Banned
Woo hoo, one more match then it's just Sniper until LV37. Damn my KD never went higher than 2.0 with the pistol though, it is a serious handicap. But now I know how to manuveur around enemy fire.

Also I can't spell that word above, autocorrect isn't helping haha.

Playingmantis

Neo Member

Use a stryder and the chain gun to go after pilots instead of of other titans head on. A good percentage of people drop their titans as soon as they get it. Just wait until after this wave goes by and be the only titan on the map. Or back up a team mates titan. after a bit it will just "click" and you will be a badass at it.

If you're going to mainly use your Titan in guard or follow mode make sure it has a Vortex shield equpped, as it will actually use it. Stick close to your Titan as it can run good interference for you, but the AI is no match for human players. Also, you're probably better off playing objective modes, it's just a walking target in Attrition.

I'm level 48 and all I've played is Classic/Attrition. Havent even touched other modes yet. Lol My k/d ratio vs players has gone from a pretty pathetic .5 over my first several dozen matches to what I assume is a pretty decent 3.0 over my last 10 games. Something just clicked for me around level 40 or so and I started to gradually improve. I think my k/d on grunts/spectres is something like 12 or so, but dont really pay attention to it since the AI is such a joke and I dont set out to "farm", I much prefer to improve against human players. I've seen people get 30 or so AI kills in a match and die 10 - 12 times probably bc they dont pay attention to human players while trying to farm. Lol I feel more of a sense of accomplishment from having, say, 6 player kills and zero deaths. To each their own, i suppose. :)

There are so many flaws in this game but its crazy addictive/fun. The AI on the Titans does seem to be quite a bit better than the brain-dead canon fodder AI, but ur right auto-Titans are pretty much target practice for human Titans in attrition. I occasionally let my titan occupy/cause diatractions so I can operate alone a little in tracking/eliminating...but most of the time I stay in my Titan and get kills until I have to eject. :)

Woo hoo, one more match then it's just Sniper until LV37. Damn my KD never went higher than 2.0 with the pistol though, it is a serious handicap. But now I know how to manuveur around enemy fire.

Also I can't spell that word above, autocorrect isn't helping haha.

The smart pistol is good for canon fodder farming and decent for pure stealth but sucks in head to head PvP.

Afro

Fun game, but horrible from a competitive standpoint. The game rewards camping and punishes map movement (in Hardpoint). If I sit in a building guarding a cap point for the entire match, we will win 99% of the time. The second I leave the base to have fun it's almost instantly capped by the enemy.

My team's w/l is something like 78-2 just guarding cap points.

Gears 3 KOTH requires constant movement and the better team always wins. In Titan you can sit in a corner w/ camo racking up defense points while eating cheetos.

Hari Seldon

Use a stryder and the chain gun to go after pilots instead of of other titans head on. A good percentage of people drop their titans as soon as they get it. Just wait until after this wave goes by and be the only titan on the map. Or back up a team mates titan. after a bit it will just "click" and you will be a badass at it.

Alright thanks. I will try the advice that you and others have posted.

Izuna

Banned
The smart pistol is good for canon fodder farming and decent for pure stealth but sucks in head to head PvP.

Autopistol, not Smart Pistol. I've actually never used the Smart Pistol yet, I figured in the beta not to even try it since I never gotten killed by it on killcam... I am too busy stimming about.

cresto

Fun game, but horrible from a competitive standpoint. The game rewards camping and punishes map movement (in Hardpoint). If I sit in a building guarding a cap point for the entire match, we will win 99% of the time. The second I leave the base to have fun it's almost instantly capped by the enemy.

Gears 3 KOTH requires constant movement and the better team always wins. In Titan you can sit in a corner w/ camo racking up defense points while eating cheetos.

How awesome would a titan only KOTH? Everyone spawns in with a titan and you just duke it out trying to hold points on the map

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity

Once again this tactic gets eaten up/nullified by pilots using the radar pulse ability.

b0bbyJ03

The thing with this game is that there is so much more at play than just the need for pinpoint accuracy. I think it's good to get decent with k/m if you're going to have a PC, but you can still have fun with a controller( especially for single player), and even be really competitive if you're really good with a controller.

totally agree. I'm actually enjoying the KB/M but i have trouble reaching some of the buttons without looking. like i can never press 3 to pull out my anti titan weapon without looking down. kinda sucks. maybe i need to map my buttons better

either way, im glad to know im not the only person playing with a DS4. felt like a noob doing it. I know its a big no no on GAF

Gaz_RB

totally agree. I'm actually enjoying the KB/M but i have trouble reaching some of the buttons without looking. like i can never press 3 to pull out my anti titan weapon without looking down. kinda sucks. maybe i need to map my buttons better

either way, im glad to know im not the only person playing with a DS4. felt like a noob doing it. I know its a big no no on GAF

I feel the same way. I find myself looking at the keyboard way too often. With the controller I just forget it's in my hands and just focus on the game.

BraXzy

This game could really do with a king of the hill mode.

No weapon 'tag' would also be pretty fun imo.

Autopistol, not Smart Pistol. I've actually never used the Smart Pistol yet, I figured in the beta not to even try it since I never gotten killed by it on killcam... I am too busy stimming about.

Ah I see. :) Assumed you meant the Smart Pistol. As an aside, I find myself annoyed when someone new to the game uses a smart pistol to get a rare kill on me now that I've started to improve...but when I step back and think about it the devs may have actually done a good thing to ease noobs into the game. I relied on the smart pistol for at least the first 30-40 matches of attrition to rack of farm kills and advance...and as I gradually got better at understanding the flow of the game and got more familiar with maps I switched to the carbine and didnt look back. Overall, so far my experience with the game has been great and it seems to be very well balanced on attrition (havent tried another mode yet tho).

just built a pc to play this game.. im new to PC altogether so just wondering, what does everyone use to communicate? does the game have built in software? origin? or do you use other software? also, I was using a set of Astros A40s and i know i can use those with a PC. can i run chat through the USB connection the way i do on my PS4? and last, are a lot of people using game pads on PC Titanfall? i find that i do very well with the DS4 but im trying not to use it so that i can play the proper way on PC but sometimes it hurts my hands to use the KB/M since im not used to it. I've been using both.

Origin/Titanfall does have a built in voice chat system, but it's kind of crappy and I found that PUG's don't use it that often, if they do, you'll find yourself wanting to mute them for being annoying. If you are gaming with your friends though, people usually use a third party voice chat client like vent, team speak, mumble, and about a dozen others that do about the same thing. I'm unfamiliar with how the A40's run on the PS4(do they plug in to the controller or just a USB port?) but you should be able to plug into a standard USB port and be good to go. I hear Titanfall is decent with the gamepads, but obviously a skilled player with keyboard and mouse can be more accurate.

Once again this tactic gets eaten up/nullified by pilots using the radar pulse ability.

Yeah, I think as the core user base gets more skilled these types of tactics become less consistently fool-proof. They will work on 90% of the noobs, which is nearly everbody right now, but as time goes on more skilled players will know how to overcome this defense tactic and force an adjustment.

Not to sound cocky, but my W/L says differently. It's just boring gameplay compared to Gears KOTH IMO.

Well that means most of the guys using radar pulse against you so far are probably not as skilled as you at the gunplay aspect. A really skilled player using radar pulse should be effective at getting you to move and adjust.

Well that means most of the guys using radar pulse against you so far are probably not as skilled as you at the gunplay aspect. A really skilled player using radar pulse should be effective at getting you to move and adjust.

Or just use a satchel charge. Campers don't stand a chance.

solarus

Ok I'll ask one more time in the hope that someone knows. Does anyone know how to solve the problem where the game will not connect to the servers and you cannot get past the main menu? It just keeps searching for a server and the ping is -1 for everything. Game was working just fine yesterday, I verified the game files on origin and that did nothing either. PC version by the way.

Pjsprojects

Ok I'll ask one more time in the hope that someone knows. Does anyone know how to solve the problem where the game will not connect to the servers and you cannot get past the main menu? It just keeps searching for a server and the ping is -1 for everything. Game was working just fine yesterday, I verified the game files on origin and that did nothing either. PC version by the way.

I had this happen once on Friday but pulling out of Origin and reboot the PC solved the problem,however as from my last post I'm still having lots of server problems(UK). Are you running WiFi or hard wired?

Or just use a satchel charge. Campers don't stand a chance.

Yep, that too.

Reminds me of a dude who killed me in one of my last matches...I think it was my only death that match and it was really impressive (I've slowly gotten to the point where I understand the game well enough to limit my deaths, usually to 4 or less in attrition matches, sometimes zero deaths if I carefully manage my aggressiveness). I was chasing this guy and we were jump jetting all over the map for maybe 30 seconds (which is an eternity for a single gun-fight in titanfall). I nearly killed him with a couple shots with my silenced carbine and then he jumps up thru a tunnel opening. I made a small "mistake" in pausing for a split second to decide if I wanted to chase him up or go under and come up underneath/in front of him. When I paused he bounded off the wall, doubled-back, spun in mid-air and detonated a satchel charge he had dropped on the ground behind himself when he jumped thru the opening above me. Lol The replay of his kill on me was awesome. I was impressed enough to ask for a friend request and now we play on the same team together. :)

Even tho I've gradually gotten better and love being able to dish it out, moments like these are just as fun bc you can always learn something new or just be amazed by player creativity.

Izuna

Banned
I don't mind the Charge Rifle requirements. I got like 5 in my first game and I doomed a few Titans. I managed only 18/50 Sniper kills before raging at how I can't use that weapon. Using AOG to make it a bit easier but still, I never camp and in Attrition I need to run around to get those Grunt/Spector kills.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Ah I see. :) Assumed you meant the Smart Pistol. As an aside, I find myself annoyed when someone new to the game uses a smart pistol to get a rare kill on me now that I've started to improve...but when I step back and think about it the devs may have actually done a good thing to ease noobs into the game. I relied on the smart pistol for at least the first 30-40 matches of attrition to rack of farm kills and advance...and as I gradually got better at understanding the flow of the game and got more familiar with maps I switched to the carbine and didnt look back. Overall, so far my experience with the game has been great and it seems to be very well balanced on attrition (havent tried another mode yet tho).
Honestly, it's intentionally included to rule out "good aim" as a necessity to get a few kills and have a good time. And in that regard it's kind of an awesome weapon to be quite honest. it reminds me of the gun in the Fifth Element except it doesn't explode.

At higher levels of competition it would be easily outclassed with skill. And the fact that good players might ooooocaaaaasionally get killed by a n00b with one can get my implied array of dealwithit.gifs

I don't mind the Charge Rifle requirements. I got like 5 in my first game and I doomed a few Titans. I managed only 18/50 Sniper kills before raging at how I can't use that weapon. Using AOG to make it a bit easier but still, I never camp and in Attrition I need to run around to get those Grunt/Spector kills.

I suck with the sniper rifle, got my ass handed to me during a match I attempted to use an amped sniper rifle burn card. EDIT: Relying on just a side-arm for head to head PvP is a bad idea unless its amped or you can consistently get the drop on people. So, you'd need to be uber skilled with a single shot to be effective at close range with the sniper rifle. It looks like some people like this combo tho, so apparently it can be done...or those people are primarily campers? I might attempt to skill up with it at some point, but for now I found an approach that works really well for me so its hard to want to break away from that. Attrition is so fun overall I havent bothered with other modes yet, but am looking forward to it.

BraXzy

Should we pool our thoughts on post-launch content/patches that we feel need to be added/improved and put it all in one place and submit it to Respawn so they have a community worth of stuff in a list?

Something similar to how one was done for the Xbox One at launch. Obviously it wouldn't be the be all end all but just suggestions all in one place.

Should we pool our thoughts on post-launch content/patches that we feel need to be added/improved and put it all in one place and submit it to Respawn so they have a community worth of stuff in a list?

Something similar to how one was done for the Xbox One at launch. Obviously it wouldn't be the be all end all but just suggestions all in one place.

SP campaign is the obvious one. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom