• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Titanfall |OT| Titan Online. Signal When Ready.

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhatSaqs

Banned
You guys think the current reviewer average of 85-86 is fair for this game? Did the hype coming into it make it disappointing that it's not a 90+ game?

I think it's about fair given what you're getting but it's not the next gaming phenomenon.
Between 8 and 9 is perfect. Anything below or higher looks weird IMO.

Is there any advantage to resetting and going gen 1 aside from "bragging rights"? I'm getting close (level 48 right now) and when I pick the game back up at the end of the week after I finish my boards I'll probably hit 50 before the weekend is over...

bragging rights and a move to directed enjoyment of the game? haha
it locks you into needing those specific challenges complete before you advance to the next gen.

Dead

well not really...yet
You guys think the current reviewer average of 85-86 is fair for this game? Did the hype coming into it make it disappointing that it's not a 90+ game?

I think it's about fair given what you're getting but it's not the next gaming phenomenon.
8.5 is about right.

A lot of my friends complain about the Generation challenges but I don't think I would be having as much fun as I am if the game didn't force me to change my usual loadouts. Right now I'm using the Strider Titan going for the execution challenge and damn is it fun! I'm gliding around the map like a fucking gazelle! Bursting in and out from behind building like some true guerrilla warfare shit.

If it wasn't for the way the Generations are setup I would have never tried the Strider and would have just stuck with the Ogre forever.

TrackZ

There's story in this game?

Seriously though, I'd rather have a horde mode as well. It's really kind of disappointing that they didn't put one in. I can't imagine it would be terrible difficult, at least certainly not on the level of creating a legit single-player campaign.

I'm holding out hope for a future horde mode against all the creatures where the IMC and Milita have to team up.

TrackZ

This article is very interesting. It's about how MSFT/Respawn have allowed cheaters and are simply waiting to do anything about it as they don't want to mess with their image and high sales early on.

I was thinking maybe they were waiting to see what cheats people did and how they went about doing them before cracking down. Gather the intelligence first then act.

Montresor

This game is absolutely amazing. It is so fast paced. I love how in a span of 60-120 seconds you can do the following:

Activate Stim and run like a mad man across the map
Chain two wall runs
Double jump to the next building
Pull out an anti-titan weapon and sneak pot shots while a 1v1 Titan battle is raging down below
Sneak away and get into a fire fight with a human pilot
Activate Stim again and rodeo on an enemy Titan
The enemy pilot exits his Titan. You jump off your Titan accordingly and kill the pilot
Right away that same pilot's auto Titan kills you
Respawn and call your Titan down

The game is tremendously intense. It is so fun to constantly Run Run Run!

What's great is no one ever seems to camp in this game. Because why would you? This is a game about speed, traversal, jet packs, wallrunning, just crazy parkour in general, and Titans! The only time I see someone camping is in Hardpoint Domination or Capture The Flag... and you're supposed to camp in those modes!

I think I played too much this weekend... I moved from Level 5 or so all the way to Level 42. I am going to comfortably hit level 50 before the end of the month and get that special challenge/achievement on XB1.

Has a solution to the server connection problems been announced yet? I'm specifically referring to the infinite spaceship loading screen, for lack of a better description. I'm not sure how common this problem is within the community, but at this stage, I've had the game since launch and have not been able to play a single game, let alone load the menu. This game is near unplayable for what seems to be many people.

Quoting for the new page and also to provide links to the server connection problems I am referring to.

This article outlines the details of the above. The ISPs claim Respawn/EA/Microsoft need to take responsibility and the problem lies on their end, but there is no acknowledgement on either side regardless of attempts to highlight the problems via twitter, forums, etc. I have absolutely zero issues playing XBONE titles online, except in the case of Titanfall, which I cannot even boot past the initial menu due to a failure to connect to a server, regardless of which server I select.

Munki

This game is absolutely amazing. It is so fast paced. I love how in a span of 60-120 seconds you can do the following:

Activate Stim and run like a mad man across the map
Chain two wall runs
Double jump to the next building
Pull out an anti-titan weapon and sneak pot shots while a 1v1 Titan battle is raging down below
Sneak away and get into a fire fight with a human pilot
Activate Stim again and rodeo on an enemy Titan
The enemy pilot exits his Titan. You jump off your Titan accordingly and kill the pilot
Right away that same pilot's auto Titan kills you
Respawn and call your Titan down

The game is tremendously intense. It is so fun to constantly Run Run Run!

What's great is no one ever seems to camp in this game. Because why would you? This is a game about speed, traversal, jet packs, wallrunning, just crazy parkour in general, and Titans! The only time I see someone camping is in Hardpoint Domination or Capture The Flag... and you're supposed to camp in those modes!

I think I played too much this weekend... I moved from Level 5 or so all the way to Level 42. I am going to comfortably hit level 50 before the end of the month and get that special challenge/achievement on XB1.

Yup, the most fun I've had with a game online since the original gears.

wrongway

I think Electric Smoke is slowly starting to become more important for titan longevity. Starting to run into other people who are too quick on the dismount to shoot off handily, and even a few others who use satchel charges. :x

Montresor

Quoting for the new page and also to provide links to the server connection problems I am referring to.

This article outlines the details of the above. The ISPs claim Respawn/EA/Microsoft need to take responsibility and the problem lies on their end, but there is no acknowledgement on either side regardless of attempts to highlight the problems via twitter, forums, etc. I have absolutely zero issues playing XBONE titles online, except in the case of Titanfall, which I cannot even boot past the initial menu due to a failure to connect to a server, regardless of which server I select.

=( This sucks. I hope this gets resolved. Have you tried getting a refund?

Archpath1

loving this game its great, multiplayer is fun and that's really what i was hoping for.
I've gotten minimal BS so that's always a good thing. maps are great, and weapons are good, would like a few more on the crazy tech scale ( district 9 style) but its a fair standard selection. modes are good - typical stuff, just would of liked some playfulness with playlists like in the Halo series.
competition is there, but i think FUN is the selling point, just add modes that are just good fun, like a Juggernaut titan, perhaps a Free-For-All, maybe a Oddball variant would work really well chasing the guy around the map.
but having a good time overall and welcome incoming updates.

I'm saying great- not good; and for some people, "only if it's great" isn't implied. Good would be enough. There's also a risk of "deeply awful" (I'm sorry, but the "narrative" of this game is not worthy of any particular praise or commentary) and the likelihood of "adequate." That's my point, because you wouldn't know how good it was until the hours were already spent crafting it.

Put another way, imagine there's a list of 10 things you want included most. Where "singleplayer campaign" is on that list- if it is at all- isn't the same for everybody. My original response was to that being the "obvious one" thing we needed to include for future iterations.

Yeah I think it comes down to whether or not the team they have in house already has the requisite talent to pull off a truly great SP campaign or if they'd have to bring in new talent and what would the total expenditure in man hours be to make it an amazing story and SP experience. Done right it would properly flesh out the universe they want to create, provide a deeper emotional connection and context, and give much greater purpose to the players actions way beyond the very simplistic level of "the next kill" we are at right now. I agree the narrative is very bare bones as it is, but I do think the basic setup gives it a lot of potential. This is one game in which for me at least the grand visual design of the maps sparks my imagination and has me wishing a greater story would be told. If its just a "COD in space" thing though, then yeah I'd say bag it...I'd rather my imagination continues to think of something greater as the context rather than be presented with something thats a retread of past efforts. The one reason I have faith they *could* do it right is Respawn are mostly the same people who did MW1's SP campaign, right? Which I think most agree is to this day the best of the bunch.

About to reach Gen 5 and my KD went down to 2.0... Sniper is so bad why would anyone use it?

Lol Gen 5? Damn, I havent hit Gen 1 yet.... :) Will this weekend. Agree the sniper rifle sucks...its too slow to bring up the scope and most maps are small enough that a carbine with the HCOG can make accurate hits from 80% of locations/distances in most firefights.

Milennia

About to reach Gen 5 and my KD went down to 2.0... Sniper is so bad why would anyone use it?

i didn't have nearly as much trouble as i thought i would with it tbh.
i just used the 4.5 scope and played attrition from the high ground.

killed a minion every time i saw one to contribute.

HITMARKERS FOR DAYS though.
i would have preferred the kraber.

I think Electric Smoke is slowly starting to become more important for titan longevity. Starting to run into other people who are too quick on the dismount to shoot off handily, and even a few others who use satchel charges. :x
Time to teach them about fake disembarks. Stop, crouch, wait, then dodge away.

Izuna

Banned
i didn't have nearly as much trouble as i thought i would with it tbh.
i just used the 4.5 scope and played attrition from the high ground.

killed a minion every time i saw one to contribute.

HITMARKERS FOR DAYS though.
i would have preferred the kraber.

Regardless it's a handicap, anything other than AOG scope and I just can't kill anyone. I feel like I did when playing CoD. I just don't understand the idea of staying in one place sniping, surely after the first kill cam your place is compromised. If you get in lose range with anyone can barely no scope.

Montresor

Time to teach them about fake disembarks. Stop, crouch, wait, then dodge away.

This is why I love this game. First, we surprised them by exiting our Titan when they were rodeo'd on and killing them. Then, they caught on to that strategy and jumped off our Titan's shoulder, killing us. Now we fake crouch when someone is rodeo'd on, they jump off, and we dash away to safety. Pretty soon, they'll be anticipating the fake crouch and staying on.

=p

=( This sucks. I hope this gets resolved. Have you tried getting a refund?

I called the retailer I purchased it from and they're more than happy to refund. I'm just torn between waiting it out and seeing what is done or going in for the refund while I can. I can always buy it later when it *is* working. I was just looking forward to this game so much. It's part and parcel of the reason why I bought the Xbone in the first place. If it doesn't even work, it's kind of a slap to the face.

Oublieux

One of my favorite loadouts:

Primary: Smart pistol with enhanced targeting
Secondary: Auto pistol
Tactical Ability: Active radar pulse
Ordnance: Arc grenades
Tier 1 Kit: Run n' gun
Tier 2 Kit: Warpfall transmitter

This let's me get on the drop on opponents easily... and being able to shoot while sprinting is a great boon for finishing off the opponent if I can't obtain all the lock stages of the smart pistol.

One of my favorite loadouts:

Primary: Smart pistol with enhanced targeting
Secondary: Auto pistol
Tactical Ability: Active radar pulse
Ordnance: Arc grenades
Tier 1 Kit: Run n' gun
Tier 2 Kit: Warpfall transmitter
Troll loadout? Everything here is designed to harsh someone's buzz. Wallhacking, autoaiming, vision-destroying troll loadout with the ability to drop Titans on other people's Titans just thrown in there for kicks. I salute you.

Oublieux

Troll loadout? Everything here is designed to harsh someone's buzz.

Naw man. Viable loadout. I've racked 20+ pilot kills and a few Titan kills in several matches. Granted, that's not an extremely common occurrence. I like this loadout because it switches up my play style. I equally use a carbine or shotgun loadout, but this particular setup requires me to nab the opponent while they're unaware of me. I consider it more of a stealth/defensive build. It's game over 95% of the time if I get caught.

The Age (one of Australia's biggest newspapers) has posted an interesting article in response to the Titanfall server issues here in Australia, arguing the 'drawbacks of online-only gaming are shown by Titanfall failure'. What are the chances that Respawn/EA/Microsoft respond now and take a more pro-active approach to fixing these problems? Whether they're responsible or not, I'd love to see them reach out to the Australian ISPs and work to a solution.

Izuna

Banned
Okay let's try this again, anyone want to play?
Perfect Izuna

Using CAR for the next 7 missions so it's win win win for my team.

EDIT: Lol at 15 Pilot Kills, all of them were cloaked. Stop using cloak and crouching people.

Izuna

Banned
That DSP review makes no sense. Okay, you hate the Campaign, but to say it makes the game worse? Only 4 modes, what?

You get ONE point per AI kill and they punish people staying in one place... it's not 6v6 because of the AI, and the AI being easy is the point of it, they are supposed to be HUMAN like and the pilots are the elite soldiers. Ugh. Oh my god.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
I have exactly no clue what's going on. I don't know how the radar works (I keep getting killed when there's no one around me on radar then someone is suddenly right on me and I die). I don't know where I'm getting hit from half the time. I don't know who my teammates are half the time unless they get super close to me, and even then they're name pops up in blue seemingly super late sometimes. I have no idea how much damage Titan weapons do, but they seem incredibly useless. There seems to be some sort of robot looking thing that it wants me to kill or hack in order to gain achievements but I don't know what those things are or how to find them or how to hack them. I don't get the whole thing where you try to leave on a ship after you lost the battle and how that helps you in any way or what that does.

I don't know why the game didn't even attempt to explain to me what's going on but I don't know what's going on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom