• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Titanfall |OT| Titan Online. Signal When Ready.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Cowboy

As a PC player, the shotgun is nowhere near overpowered.
I don't think it needs a damage reduction (it should tear you apart at close range with a direct hit like it currently does), I do think it needs a bit (just a bit) of a wider spread though as its a bit to good for mid range shooting.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
Tempted on double dipping on pc (collector's edition lol). I had a problem with the beta though where it explicitly told me i had an unsupported resolution even though that was not true, didn't see anyone else have the same issue. I wonder if this has been fixed.

red731

So you know how we imagine/d running man jumping over obstacles when sitting shotgun in some vehicle and looking outside?

Now looking at every roof of every building I am expecting a pilot and walls close to each other are like, inviting.

The Cowboy

Tempted on double dipping on pc (collector's edition lol). I had a problem with the beta though where it explicitly told me i had an unsupported resolution even though that was not true, didn't see anyone else have the same issue. I wonder if this has been fixed.
What was the res?.

Coconut

Banned
Halo 4 sold nearly 4 million in one week. Titanfall likely isn't doing that well considering the userbase of the Xbone is a little over 4 mil only. This game is not going to pull in Halo numbers.

PC sales is hard to gauge though.

Those numbers of players seems pretty believable really.

Dude I'm not saying it will sell like halo, chill out.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
So you know how we imagine/d running man jumping over obstacles when sitting shotgun in some vehicle and looking outside?

Now looking at every roof of every building I am expecting a pilot and walls close to each other are like, inviting.
Nice avatar. <3

Do you guys tend to change loadouts mid-match? I sort of decide "who I want to be" beforehand and then just stick with it to try and improve, even if I realize that something else would be better-suited to finishing out the round...

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
Time for a rest. It would probably do you some good to put the controller down or play something else. Due to me not following through with telling myself to take breaks I actually forced myself to take a day off by giving my controller to my neighbor and telling her not to give it back until the next day. No matter what. Extremes to fight the thirst.

What was the res?.

I've got a laptop monitor that supports up to 1080p. Just googled it and apparently there was a fix posted on nvidia's support.

Man, and gamestop has a coupon code. Even more tempted now.

malfcn

What is the maximum curve on the smart pistol? I swear I've seen it target and fire behind the user. And having a killing spree ended by some drunk pilot aiming the wrong direction is infuriating.

Woo-Fu

Banned
I think you're missing the entire point.

I think you're missing the entire point. I can see cloaked pilots without a smart pistol. The player-shaped blur is obvious. Stop camping. Stop crying about your cloak tent being obvious. You should be using stim anyhow. :)

You want to nerf something? Nerf the carbine, the best weapon at every range, the only weapon without any drawbacks.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
What is the maximum curve on the smart pistol? I swear I've seen it target and fire behind the user. And having a killing spree ended by some drunk pilot aiming the wrong direction is infuriating.

I think it's just "lockscan", so as long as it locks on and you pull the trigger it hits. Even if you round the corner and the thing is still red it'll hit you.

Tawpgun

I find the smart pistol annoying because you can't dodge it. I've been able to mess up an enemies aiming with some wall runs and jumps and shit to give me an edge. Can't do that against a smart pistol. I feel kinda cheapened out getting killed by something I can't try and dodge

Jarmel

Banned
The smart pistol is next to last in line when it comes to guns that need nerfs. People just need to man up and realize it doesn't matter what the other player was using, you were already dead.

Lol no, sometimes but definitely not always. Especially with Rnhanced Targeting, it allows the player to keep moving which is not only a defensive tactic but also an offensive one in this case. It's similar to stuff like the CAR and shotgun but has the advantage of being able to 'hit' the opponent without the opponent being aware.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
I find the smart pistol annoying because you can't dodge it. I've been able to mess up an enemies aiming with some wall runs and jumps and shit to give me an edge. Can't do that against a smart pistol. I feel kinda cheapened out getting killed by something I can't try and dodge

Yeah you can the second loses line of sight it loses lock on. No mod has more lenience in regards to this but it takes longer to lock.

Tawpgun

I might try and run a super fast smart pistol loadouts so I can wall run and gun better

Edit: ^^^ but that requires me to lose their line of sight instead of just making myself harder to hit like I can do with other guns

Tawpgun

It MIGHT help if you got a Ping warming you were being locked on

The smart pistol doesn't break the game by any means it's just super annoying IMO. It's not OP it's just cheap to get kills without aiming

Izuna

Banned
What about the challenges? I have around 210/900 challenges completed.

I love your username!

EDIT: Cloaking or not, Goosing is exactly the same, you need to be a little close with the Arc Cannon and then it's certain, but if you get hit during your charge and it shakes the screen it's SO annoying. Getting good at it though...

The Cowboy

When it comes to the main guns and adjustments (nerfs/buffs).
---
Carbine.
Simply adjust its recoil to give it a bit of a wider spread, this would make it a great close/mid range weapon and an OK long range weapon.

Smart Pistol.
Make it so it looses lock the instant a pilot is out of view, be this behind a wall or through smoke (though I'm not sure how hard the smoke part would be to code in).

Shotgun.
Adjust its spread to make it wider, this way it still tears up short range (as a shotty should) and it lowers its midrange a bit.

Hemlock.
Give it a slight damage increase, this makes it the opposite of the Carbine as it would be a great mid/long range weapon and an ok short range weapon.

LMG.
I think this is just fine as it is really, its not that great for short bursting (due to how it works) and is mainly for area denial on full sustained fire (and is the daddy to take out titans while doing rodeo).

G2A4/Rifle/DMR and AP Snipers.
In general I don't think there is much wrong with them as weapons, its more the maps that are the issue with these guns and as such they need a tweak for the maps.

As such (just an example here) you could give them "Active Sonar" scopes (again, this is an example off the top of my head). These would be the same as the scopes they have now (just with Active Sonar technology included) which would give the scopes the wallhack perk within the scoped area (just the small circle in the middle) every 5 or 10 seconds. At close range they be hit and miss (as they are now) but at long range they'd be king as within the small scoped area you would have pulses going out showing enemies that you can shoot at or call out to team mates.

SMGs.
I think these are generally OK, they are pretty good at close range and have a decent perk available for them to make them even better.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Lol no, sometimes but definitely not always. Especially with Rnhanced Targeting, it allows the player to keep moving which is not only a defensive tactic but also an offensive one in this case. It's similar to stuff like the CAR and shotgun but has the advantage of being able to 'hit' the opponent without the opponent being aware.

One clear shot of the shot gun is death that's exactly the same as smart pistol. Cloak also makes it useless. (too bad cloak is worthless aside from titans). Radar is also pretty much a counter. Which leaves you with stim in which you can use constantly rest the lock on

Also if they were aware of the player that long enough to get a lock then you really were dead. Seriously dead it means they didn't all lose sight of you which means for any half decent player you were dead it's was more of an issue during the beta and early on, but if your blaming the smart pistol you have bigger problems in this game.

Smart pistol has it's advantages in certain scenarios which is the point of the gun but it a straight fight it tends to be in the losing end.

No I''m not saying it isn't a fairly strong weapon strong enough to be in the class of only viable weapons which all need to be nerfed, But it isn't some OP weapon like some people are pretending.

I had a weird issue pop up a few times today. I got into a Titan, and my sound suddenly started crapping out, and the game got really laggy. When my Titan was destroyed it normalized.

Happened again this match, but this time while not in a Titan. Sound got very crappy, some things didn't make sounds, others sounded extremely crackling. Dunno what's causing this, I'm on PC.

Anyone have an idea?

I agree with just about everything The Cowboy said, except for the sonar vision on the rifles.

Also I'd probably slow down the shotgun's rate of fire, so you have to get that first shot right if they're facing you.

The Cowboy

I agree with just about everything The Cowboy said, except for the sonar vision on the rifles.

Also I'd probably slow down the shotgun's rate of fire, so you have to get that first shot right if they're facing you.
As said with the sonar scopes, its just an idea of how to make them more useful within the maps (to me, the map design makes them kinda not needed).. And remember, its only pulses every 5/10 seconds within the scoped area while Aiming down site (with my idea), as such your very vulnerable using them but it makes the gun better to use within the maps as they are now on ranged targets.

But I freely admit, with this done wrong it would be way overpowered - I was just thinking within the technology of the game universe in how a sniper would/could be improved.

I had a weird issue pop up a few times today. I got into a Titan, and my sound suddenly started crapping out, and the game got really laggy. When my Titan was destroyed it normalized.

Happened again this match, but this time while not in a Titan. Sound got very crappy, some things didn't make sounds, others sounded extremely crackling. Dunno what's causing this, I'm on PC.

Anyone have an idea?
I can't really help you with what causes it, but I had that issue as well. What's weirder is the game ran totally fine in the same scenarios for the first dozen hours, then the sound is crackling and fps drops into the 30s a ton--usually both at the same time. I bumped shadows down to medium and it seems to be okay (for now).

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
When it comes to the main guns and adjustments (nerfs/buffs).

I don't think the smart pistol fix would be hard to code in since your reticule already won't turn red when aiming at an enemy on the other side of smoke.

Honestly though, only think the balancing needs to be changed for the hemlock / carbine and snipers, there needs to be a clearer distinction between the two, otherwise carbine just comes out on top every time. Carbine needs less accuracy at range and hemlock needs more damage.

Snipers need to just be better, they need to work like a big pistol from hip fire and they need to have an actual benefit to scoping in, as it is using a sniper feels like a waste of time because matches are over too fast to make any functional use of camping.

Maybe in a coordinated team play something changes but for 90% of the games offering the longbow and kraber are not really better than anything else.

I would rather every weapon be broken in their own way than every weapon be "nerfed".

Jito

Banned
YQxN4vM.gif

Definitely in love with the Railgun now.

E92 M3

I would NOT nerf a single weapon. All nerfing does is lower the fun factor and change the dynamic of the game (which is nearly perfect now). If anything buff weapons, but don't nerf. When devs decide to go ahead and just nerf guns - it's the most frustrating thing in the world. A weapon has to be truly broken for it to be nerfed. If everyone was using the shotgun, then sure nerf it. As of now, it's a good close range weapon with some viability in medium to close range. Nothing special.

As I said earlier, Halo 3 had the worst weapon sandbox: BR, Sniper, Rockets - and maybe shotgun (but that was nearly useless too). Reach brought back weapon viability and for that it was a better game. Some weapons might need a slight buff in this game, but definitely not a nerf.

Nerfing weapons ruins the sandbox and I'll standby that. I'd be very disappointed if Respawn decided to nerf weapons because some people don't like the way they died. I've died to the shotgun; it's not fun, but doesn't need to be nerfed to the point of being useless unless you're an inch away from their face.

For once, it is nice to play a game were most of the weapons are useful in some form.

One more thing: I strongly believe that the folks asking for nerfs are doing it for selfish reasons. Because said weapon interferes with their playstyle. Crying for nerfs is an impulsive action, in my opinion. Yes, I also get frustrated sometimes, but that does not mean weapon X needs to be nerfed. For the betterment of this game, it should stay as it is. I'm in the camp that if everything is overpowered than everything is equal. Who likes using a weak gun? Who used the carbine competitively in Halo 3? Titanfall does not need useless guns - the selection is already very conservative.

If no one can tell, I'm very passionate about weapon sustainability in this game simply because I love Titanfall. This game brought back the fun I've been missing in multiplayer for so long. I don't want to see it tarnished. There have been numerous of times devs blindly listening to fan "outrage" about nerfs for the result to only be worse.

I'm done now lol.

Izuna

Banned
I have all of the awesome Rare Burn Cards. Spare Titans, Map Hack, Ghost Squad, Echo Vision etc. This Goosing Challenge has actually taught me how to do it properly, so it isn't a bad challenge after all. Anyone know what Gen 6 Challenges are?

The Cowboy

Definitely not the case. I have had plenty of instances where I have had a full lock but the third shot hits an obstacle.
This is correct, the issue with it though is when your chasing.

The way it is now.
Your chasing a pilot and your get your 3 locks just as they go around a corner, the lock remains for a very short period (despite them going out of view), and you go around the corner a split second later and fire = they are a dead pilot (despite managing to get out of your view for a short time).

The way it should be IMO is.
Your chasing a pilot and get your 3 locks just as they go around a corner, the lock drops instantly (because they can no longer be seen) and you go around the corner a split second later = you start locking again on the pilot.
-
So many times have I scored a kill when chasing someone with the 1st example, it just feels kinda off keeping a lock (no matter how short) when a pilot goes out of view.

However, this could be lag compensation as I have died quite a few times from other weapons despite getting out of view.

Sojgat

I would NOT nerf a single weapon. All nerfing does is lower the fun factor and change the dynamic of the game (which is nearly perfect now). If anything buff weapons, but don't nerf. When devs decide to go ahead and just nerf guns - it's the most frustrating thing in the world. A weapon has to be truly broken for it to be nerfed. If everyone was using the shotgun, then sure nerf it. As of now, it's a good close range weapon with some viability in medium to close range. Nothing special.

As I said earlier, Halo 3 had the worst weapon sandbox: BR, Sniper, Rockets - and maybe shotgun (but that was nearly useless too). Reach brought back weapon viability and for that it was a better game. Some weapons might need a slight buff in this game, but definitely not a nerf.

Nerfing weapons ruins the sandbox and I'll standby that. I'd be very disappointed if Respawn decided to nerf weapons because some people don't like the way they died. I've died to the shotgun; it's not fun, but doesn't need to be nerfed to the point of being useless unless you're an inch away from their face.

For once, it is nice to play a game were most of the weapons are useful in some form.

I agree with all of this.

Nothing in Titanfall has really bugged me like some of the cheap bullshit in other big shooters. There is an answer for just about any tactic at the moment. Then again, I really don't die much in this game. I think I've only been killed by the smart pistol once, and it was my own fault for just standing still. People are always too quick to call for weapons nerfs, often when there are obvious strategies for countering them that they've yet to work out. Maybe everyone should give the game more than a week, before they start demanding drastic balance changes.

What bores you about it? What gun/ability do you usually run with? (smart pistol and cloak would explain a lot quickly)

Not sure, honestly. I think it's a really good game - and I run with various loadouts. I think it's just the constant fast-pace and the small scale deathmatch vibe. It's fun, but my eyes glaze over before too long.

Redmoon

I have all of the awesome Rare Burn Cards. Spare Titans, Map Hack, Ghost Squad, Echo Vision etc. This Goosing Challenge has actually taught me how to do it properly, so it isn't a bad challenge after all. Anyone know what Gen 6 Challenges are?

According to what someone on the tail end of gen6 told me,
Spitfire LMG(500), Triple Threat(500), Mag Launcher(50), Brain Surgeon(50)
. Also, any tips for that goosing challenge?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom