• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Titanfall |OT| Titan Online. Signal When Ready.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
I normally pay extremely close attention to all NPC dialogue, narrative and storytelling... and I can't remember jack about that story.

Still love the game, just would like for them to do some actual cut scenes if they insist on making all the story in the TF universe multiplayer, in-game narrative doesn't work in hectic games like this.

Pegasus Actual

Gold Member
I finished both campaigns and am still none the wiser. Wasn't paying attention I guess.
So MacAllen was IMC back in the day, he wanted out 15 years ago or whatever, Graves let him take the ship, he went off and made that colony in levle 2, which stayed kind of neutral. IMC while hunting for Militia spots the colony and goes war crimes. Seems like that is more of a Blisk and Spygalss thing. Also in the first mission Graves is lamenting destruction of civvie ships. Anyway MacAllen after losing his colony goes all in with the Militia, goes to the wreck of the ship Graves gave him to get some intel, hunts down the IMC flagship, hunts down intel to take down the repulsor towers that are keeping some base that protects Demeter... Then they assault Demeter to take out the gateway to the core worlds. During that battle MacAllen sacrifices himself to take out Demeter, appeals to Graves some more... when Spyglass calls off the rescue of IMC pilots at Demeter to not waste ships, I think that's the last straw. And he pulls a MacAllen, steals the ship, and starts hitting IMC production, which is the final mission. Blisk doesn't give a shit that the IMC is pretty much all evil robots at this point because he's the bad guy from District 9 and Elysium.

I finished both campaigns and am still none the wiser. Wasn't paying attention I guess.

Do we even need spoiler tags for this game?

Graves has already been listening to MacAllen. Then when MacAllen sets the place to detonate, and Graves orders evac ships down to get his pilots out, Spyglass overrules him, condemning everyone on the surface to die. Next mission, Graves has defected. His main rethoric during that mission is that Blisk is "working for machines, who don't care who lives and who dies".

That moment when you call your titan. Goose bumps every time.

They really fucking nailed that. That sound it makes when it enters the atmosphere and is about to crash down. God damn....

Anyways this game is just immensely addicting. I really am getting flashbacks to COD4 and even better unreal tournament 2k4

Mondy

Banned
This is another one of those games where unless you're playing with a coordinated team that you're regularly communicating with, don't bother. The timing of Titan deployment is crucial to the game and can sway a match one way or the other. If you just call them haphazardly and whenever you want, instead of all at the same time tactically, you're gonna get rolled.

Label

The Amiga Brotherhood
Is there a way to tell which campaign matches you have won or not? The icons all the look the same to me!

So I'm not the best player at this game, but I'm ok. I have just above a 1:1 KD ratio, but this is assuming I use the carbine, or a smg. With the shotgun I consistently go 2:1, 3:1 sometimes 4:1. The weapon is ridiculously OP. I should probably stop using it.
Yeah, my overall K/D against pilots is 1.5 (but climbing). Last 10 games usually hovers around 2.5... until I equip the shotgun and it jumps to 4.0+.

shuri

Banned
... Uhhh is there a problem with population? I'm level 23 but I'm getting matched non-stop against gen2-3-4 people most of the time. Or they are in the 40+ ranges ...

Izuna

Banned
... Uhhh is there a problem with population? I'm level 23 but I'm getting matched non-stop against gen2-3-4 people most of the time. Or they are in the 40+ ranges ...

Has nothing to do with level or gen, it's skill based. There are some horrible Gen2 people, and average LV40s.

LkyqfRR.jpg

So this just happened. Look at the guy in first place on the blue team.

Izuna

Banned
is match making really skill based? Seems pretty random to me.

I think it tries its best to put each team with a good player and fill the rest. I ALWAYS get teamed up with complete imbeciles whereas the other team has some 90 Attrition Point scorer and it's like a 1v1 at that point. But I tested this by jumping in a new profile and after a couple games the opponents ended up being the same. I can't say for sure, but I think the game separates beginners and people who know what they are doing in just two groups.

Izuna

Banned
LkyqfRR.jpg

Ah bloody Stealth Edit...

Nothing wrong with this, he most likely tossed well placed grenades and got a bunch of assists but no actual kills, whereas he got 4 Titan kills with 5 deaths.

After playing a lot of Attrition (90% of the time) I use grenades and when I get in my Titan I run over all of the minions, but toal minion kills per team sort of averages out, it's a good way to find out where the pilots are.

Ah bloody Stealth Edit...

Nothing wrong with this, he most likely tossed well placed grenades and got a bunch of assists but no actual kills, whereas he got 4 Titan kills with 5 deaths.

After playing a lot of Attrition (90% of the time) I use grenades and when I get in my Titan I run over all of the minions, but toal minion kills per team sort of averages out, it's a good way to find out where the pilots are.

I still mix up the Pilots and Grunts sometimes, especially when they're running around alone. You'll see two lone figures running, start shooting, and the one you're not shooting turns out to be a Pilot. :lol

And no, nothing wrong with it, just seems odd that killing brainless bots ends up rewarding more points than killing Pilots. 4 Titans is impressive though.

SpacLock

is match making really skill based? Seems pretty random to me.

That's what I've been wondering. I'm not trying to toot my own horn here, but I'm usually ahead of the curve when it comes to new games so I start off better than most people I play before they catch up and I notice some serious competition. I usually end up getting my ass kicked by people CoD games, but not in games like Halo and Gears.

I'm sitting at a 94% winning percentage with a 3.8 k/d against Pilots. And I've played 23 hours worth sitting at a Gen 3.

I'm not sure why, but I still feel like it's putting me up against crappy people constantly. I'm mostly playing gen 2's and 3's with an occasional 4 too, so these people are at least experienced.

Tokubetsu

3 more levels 'til gen 3 but since none of my buddies are one it means I gotta eat losses and hurt my win ratio even if I'm always coming out on top.

BradC00

generation =/= skill guys. i've been matched against gen8 guys who i worked over, and gen1 guys who worked me over. all it is is an indicator of time put into the game.

Izuna

Banned
I still mix up the Pilots and Grunts sometimes, especially when they're running around alone. You'll see two lone figures running, start shooting, and the one you're not shooting turns out to be a Pilot. :lol

And no, nothing wrong with it, just seems odd that killing brainless bots ends up rewarding more points than killing Pilots. 4 Titans is impressive though.

7 Pilot Kills = 4 x 7 = 28
2 Titan Kills = 2 x 5 = 10

--

4 Titan Kills = 4 x 5 = 20

Difference is 18 points, so he pretty much got 18 minion kills ahead of you, not as bad as it seems. Not entirely accurate though as the game doesn't count the final Attrition Points.

This is also why I cringe when I see people playing Attrition wrong and 2 pilots risk their lives to kill a single Titan, why would you do that? It's only worth 5 Attrition Points (assuming they don't take me out with the Titan) and they are worth 8. Just stay indoors and wait until you both have your own Titans...

The Cowboy

Goddammit, that jump kick can get on my nerves. This guy just jump kicked me from across a room and I still fucking died.
It really does seem to have a crazy range, some people may not want weapon nerfs - but the jump kick is something that really needs to be adjusted as its just silly how it is now.

At range (just outside of kicking range and at kicking range) the melee should jump kick foward, and it hits it should knockback and do minor damage (so you could still boot someone of a ledge/cliff for fun :D) - only if you get point blank and melee should it score a kill, with the KNIFE! when facing someone (if done from behind keep it as the neck snap we have now).

TTUVAPOR

Banned
I'm amazed to see people talking about wanting more weapons and titans in future DLC...

Tweak the weapon set that's already in the game, we don't need a bajillion weapons added to the game...having more doesn't equal a better gameplay experience, it would just add more unbalanced bullshit, same goes for adding more Titans.

Less is more, in my opinion.

The Cowboy

Agreed, I don't think it would serve the game well adding more titan/weapon types - in free patches we should get some (not a lot) more modes (and hopefully a lot of MP features like clans etc) and in the DLC more maps (and maybe skins - see below).

The only thing I would generally think would be OK for weapons and titans is perhaps 1 or 2 extra skins for each to pick from, just to change them up a bit in how they look.

Goddammit, that jump kick can get on my nerves. This guy just jump kicked me from across a room and I still fucking died.

Hit detection on melee on foot and on titans is all kinds of bullshit

I'm amazed to see people talking about wanting more weapons and titans in future DLC...

Tweak the weapon set that's already in the game, we don't need a bajillion weapons added to the game...having more doesn't equal a better gameplay experience, it would just add more unbalanced bullshit, same goes for adding more Titans.

Less is more, in my opinion.

We don't need a gazillion weapons, but more options would be nice. BF4 for example has too many weapons, lot of redundancy. While with Titanfall you have like one viable rifle really. In most shooters you have at least 2 or 3 viable weapons in each category and each has it's own strengths and weaknesses or suit different playstyles. As it is now, there is pretty much only 4 viable weapons in the game and each is best in it's weapon type.

Titans I think have decent weapon variety and you see lot of mixing of that, but infantry weapon selection is lacking. The weapons in the game would need balancing though, as the 101 carbine for example is just too damn good. If they did some in game balance on the weapons, they could potentially make the useless weapons become more usable as right now. Focus should be on making the other in game weapons viable, but you never see anyone using more than half of the guns in this game.

shandy706

LkyqfRR.jpg

A moment of silence for the nearly 200 AI that died in that battle.

What makes it worse is that you clearly hit him/her with a string of bullets, and in return they managed to single kicked you to death.

Actually, watching it frame by frame...only like the first bullet hit the target, the other shots were well behind the other player. Must have kicked the heck out of that wall...lol.

I like the number of weapons as is. Levels would be nice, but there are already plenty - it's taken me days of playing and i'm still not sure if i've played them all. My vote still goes for performance patches. Just keep optimizing this game, that would be the best option.

TTUVAPOR

Banned
Hit detection on melee on foot and on titans is all kinds of bullshit

We don't need a gazillion weapons, but more options would be nice. BF4 for example has too many weapons, lot of redundancy. While with Titanfall you have like one viable rifle really. In most shooters you have at least 2 or 3 viable weapons in each category and each has it's own strengths and weaknesses or suit different playstyles. As it is now, there is pretty much only 4 viable weapons in the game and each is best in it's weapon type.

Titans I think have decent weapon variety and you see lot of mixing of that, but infantry weapon selection is lacking. The weapons in the game would need balancing though, as the 101 carbine for example is just too damn good. If they did some in game balance on the weapons, they could potentially make the useless weapons become more usable as right now. Focus should be on making the other in game weapons viable, but you never see anyone using more than half of the guns in this game.

I agree with you on your TF points. I would say the weakest weapon in TF that could use a tweaking would be the semi-auto rifle, perhaps make the damage of it more to give it that upper hand in distance fights. Kinda like the old COD2 weapons, the garand was a great semi-auto rifle, but in upclose fighs, the thompson smg would kill it.

I'd just rather Respawn tweak what they already have because what they already have is really, really good.

I've been trying to use the SMG quite a bit lately, but I'm just not big on CQB fighting unless it's domination, then you have to be in CQB due to taking a hardpoint.

I love that they didn't put hold your breath sniping in this game, it's clearly not needed.

TTUVAPOR

Banned
LkyqfRR.jpg

When I play attrition, I always farm the AI. It's stupid not to if you're playing to win the game. They're easy points that will help your team.

I prefer pilot hunter though, matches last longer, and you can't farm AI, you have to kill pilots to earn points for your team.

Wasn't feeling it today. Had a few good matches, and then just went to shit. Went negative in K/D terms for the first time since I started playing, I realized it was a good moment to call it a day. :p

tauke

Finally after 2 days of losing streak, I'm on a winning streak.... by having a really underlevel opponent team.

Just owned them with no mercy while I feel bad yet so good. :(

Also after unlocking the shotgun accuracy upgrade, damn it is crazy effective even at mid range. Now I know why I get owned so bad by shotties.

Haven't played a ton of this but man it is so entertaining. I'd love to read the full thread to now but that would be crazy so I'll ask here - is it just me or is it super easy to finish top of your team in Hardpoint just by hanging out near an objective and getting those Hardpoint Hold points? (Not to mention the kills from people just running in willy-nilly.) I never finish top of my team in anything but last night it was three, four games in a row.

Also loving the shotgun so much
like every shotgun
. I dunno though, I think the high-capacity drum is better than the other upgrades. It's the only thing that doesn't have a downside, at least.

Just got the Wingman and I am shockkking with it. So hard to hit people, let alone kill them - and then I finally hit a guy twice or three times at close range last night with no kill. :( . Sniping grunts with it is fun, though.

Zakalwe

Banned
This is another one of those games where unless you're playing with a coordinated team that you're regularly communicating with, don't bother. The timing of Titan deployment is crucial to the game and can sway a match one way or the other. If you just call them haphazardly and whenever you want, instead of all at the same time tactically, you're gonna get rolled.

This isn't true in the slightest.

When I'm playing alone, the vast majority of my games are silent with 0 communication. Most people don't use voice or text chat at all.

And we still win games. Often.

Really enjoying the game, Hardpoint is my favourite mode its just a shame when you've got a crap team and they don't understand the point of capturing the hard points and therefore you lose because of it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom