• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Titanfall |OT| Titan Online. Signal When Ready.

Status
Not open for further replies.

def sim

The Atlas animation for its titan fatality (?) is disappointing. The throw is weak and tends to bug out if you're near any sort of geometry.

L.O.R.D

question about people who bought the PC version
i am thinking to buy it from the Mexican store by changing the IP
is it legal ?
is there any problem with the game bought that way ?
i don't live in the us or eu

will27

What is everybody's favorite Titan weapons? I still feel like the chain-gun with the accelerator is the best, but I am interested in other weapon combinations. For instance, is the railgun instant shot upgrade any good?

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
What is everybody's favorite Titan weapons? I still feel like the chain-gun with the accelerator is the best, but I am interested in other weapon combinations. For instance, is the railgun instant shot upgrade any good?

Love the chain gun with accelerator.

antitrop

Rapid Fire Quad Rockets and then XO-16 w/ Accelerator.

Izuna

Banned
40mm hitting those weak points takes out an Orge in mere seconds, and plus a well places Cluster Missile makes them dash predictively (also is great if they have a Vortex Shield).

Gotta work for four hours and might play to Gen 7 tonight. I seriously need to reach Gen 10 ASAP and focus on my studies, shit.

Haint

The Xbone player base already starting to dry up in this? Last few days I'm not getting into many full 6v6 games, most are usually 4v4, 5v5, or some variation there of.

Nydius

Today's gonna be one of those days, I see...

Just got yelled at - all caps, repeated chat spam - about "camping" in Hardpoint Domination. Apparently, in this person's mind, defending points should only be done when you have all three points. Until then everyone should run around like idiots and leave points completely undefended. Hilariously, he accused me of never attacking points and yet I had the most Attack score and the most Defend score on our team.

I might have been a bit harsh on the poor guy afterward, calmly telling him to feel free to apply for West Point as I'm certain the U.S. Army could use his tactical genius.

tkalamba

I like the rail gun with instant shot, it packs quite a punch.

Can't wait to unlock this to try it as well as the Triple Threat. I am kind of intrigued by the Arc Cannon though, but I guess it might be wrong for my Stryder.

By the time I unlocked this I wasn't actually riding in the titan that often, but I realised I could use the guard mode to watch over doors for me when I was defending a hard point, and that's when my titan started getting way more kills. Pretty sure the titan is considerably better with that gun than me.

Today's gonna be one of those days, I see...

Just got yelled at - all caps, repeated chat spam - about "camping" in Hardpoint Domination. Apparently, in this person's mind, defending points should only be done when you have all three points. Until then everyone should run around like idiots and leave points completely undefended. Hilariously, he accused me of never attacking points and yet I had the most Attack score and the most Defend score on our team.

I might have been a bit harsh on the poor guy afterward, calmly telling him to feel free to apply for West Point as I'm certain the U.S. Army could use his tactical genius.

In one of my games last night: [TEAM] where are your titans noobs

He finished bottom of the team, and I top. It was a sweet moment.

VASPER

Banned

For me it comes down to my strategy, i like the rocket launcher when I'm using the Stryder and the 40mm or triple threat when I'm using the Atlus. Chain gun is one of the best weapons too.

cresto

I enjoyed Dead Rising 3, but Titanfall has justified my Xbox purchase. I skipped the last three COD games so this style game feels fresh again... and so addicting. Going to add some of you to my follow list tonight :)
Where is there a list of xbo players?

tariniel

I've had game for less than a week but I already see a trend shift in the weapons most people use. When I first got it, like I had read on forums, most people were using the carbine, and I really didn't have a problem with it. The last several days though, the majority of people in games I play are using shotguns.

I think that the shotgun is significantly less fun to play against when you get one shot killed, compared to the carbine. Has anyone else noticed a similar shift, or am I just running into shotgun happy lobbies?

The Cowboy

What is everybody's favorite Titan weapons?
Whilst not a super 1 v 1 close range weapon my fav is easily the Arc Cannon, I'm partial to a lightning weapon and this is pretty great at mid/longish range sniping (on pilots and titans alike), group harassing (due to its arcs hitting other nearby targets) and taking down in flight rockets.

E92 M3

I've had game for less than a week but I already see a trend shift in the weapons most people use. When I first got it, like I had read on forums, most people were using the carbine, and I really didn't have a problem with it. The last several days though, the majority of people in games I play are using shotguns.

I think that the shotgun is significantly less fun to play against when you get one shot killed, compared to the carbine. Has anyone else noticed a similar shift, or am I just running into shotgun happy lobbies?

People probably doing challenges.

Karl2177

One of the generation requirements is the Shotgun challenges. Having said that the Shotgun is really easy to get kills with.

Personally I think the carbine and other long-range pilot weapons defeat the point of the game a little, whereas the shotgun embraces the high speed and risks and so on. I agree it's no fun to be one-shotted, but in a game as frantic as this it's also pretty lame to be picked off by some guy hiding behind a chimney on the roof above. The carbine seems pretty strong to me at any range, but I don't find it fun.

Tokubetsu

To get to gen 3 regeneration you have to get something like 75 pilot kills with the shotgun. That might be a big part of it.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Ejecting after your Titan blows up only to land on another Titan and rodeo it is an amazing feeling.
I'm getting really good at this. The momentum-shifting jump on the way down is crucial.
By the time I unlocked this I wasn't actually riding in the titan that often
Sorry, which one did you mean, the Rapid Fire Quad?
Whilst not a super 1 v 1 close range weapon my fav is easily the Arc Cannon, I'm partial to a lightning weapon and this is pretty great at mid/longish range sniping (on pilots and titans alike), group harassing (due to its arcs hitting other nearby targets) and taking down in flight rockets.
I just have this feeling that I really like the Arc Cannon even though I don't totally get it yet. What chassis are you in? I might equip it on a secondary load out even if it's not right for my speed demon standard.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
It's just a bit of a perspective thing I imagine. I'm all about shotguns in any game that offers a decent one. That "not so fun" feeling you experience is probably quite similar to how I feel when getting mowed down from god knows where by a carbine 50 feet away. While I'm watching the killcam and I'm like "oh come on he was there?!" you're probably thinking that's exactly where you wanna play. When I get one-shot killed by a shotgun the feeling is a lot more like "that'll be you next time."

Anyway as others have stated you're probably running into the challenge progression that encourages shotgun use. I think with skill the carbine is a plainly better weapon, I just never really find assault rifles all that fun.

I'm getting really good at this. The momentum-shifting jump on the way down is crucial.

Sorry, which one did you mean, the Rapid Fire Quad?

My bad, I meant the Arc Cannon. I haven't spawned in my Titan once since I got it, and hardly ever get in, but the titan seems to do better with it than with other weapons up to now.

Honestly, I think they should of made the shotty a pump shotty to help level it out. Basically, it's fire rate breaks it. For some reason, I've been avoiding it, trying to unlock everything else.

Honestly, I think they should of made the shotty a pump shotty to help level it out. Basically, it's fire rate breaks it. For some reason, I've been avoiding it, trying to unlock everything else.

If they did that they would probably increase the damage to compensate. I think at the very least the high-capacity drum should lower the fire rate slightly. It's too good of an upgrade otherwise. Too easy to spam.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
It feels like there is a lunge to it. And woohoo, gen 4! I am doing a midday stream if anyone wants to watch, just trying to get the campaign missions achievement.

Just kidding, something went wrong while streaming, completely locked up the game.

Yeah, there is a big lunge with it. I don't like it much but I play Styder and that thing gets me in more trouble beyond all else, kept lunging into damn cluster missiles.

E92 M3

Yes, it's not fun to be killed by the shotgun, but it's completely fine as a weapon. As I've said earlier, nerfing it will not make the game better, only worse. Why is that I am barely killed by it? CQC encounters are punished by the shotty. Perfectly logical.

The smart pistol is fine. I consider myself pretty darn good at that weapon and got demolished last night by two very good players.

Who cares if the weapon is balanced. It is the dumbest weapon in any fps ever made. Hyperbole aside, the weapon doesn't belong in a fps. I didn't say anything about it being balanced or not. You aren't even playing a FPS when your gun aims for you.

Who cares if the weapon is balanced. It is the dumbest weapon in any fps ever made. Hyperbole aside, the weapon doesn't belong in a fps. I didn't say anything about it being balanced or not. You aren't even playing a FPS when your gun aims for you.

you know what, I kind of agree with you here. And I don't give two flying bananas about the smart pistol.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane

you know what, I kind of agree with you here. And I don't give two flying bananas about the smart pistol.
Just going to go ahead and disagree. What does or doesn't belong in an FPS shouldn't be defined merely by "what has been included in FPSs until now." Furthermore this isn't the first weapon in any FPS that locks on to people. -_-

Reverend

Neo Member
Just going to go ahead and disagree. What does or doesn't belong in an FPS shouldn't be defined merely by "what has been included in FPSs until now." Furthermore this isn't the first weapon in any FPS that locks on to people. -_-

Yep. If you get caught by a smart pistol user, they outplayed you, either by setup or situational awareness. This isn't for 'newbies'. It's just a new twist.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity

You use it in first person and you shoot with it. How does it not belong in a first person shooter? Do the lock on Titan missiles not belong in a FPS, either?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Yep. If you get caught by a smart pistol user, they outplayed you, either by setup or situational awareness. This isn't for 'newbies'. It's just a new twist.
It can be helpful for newbies in that it eliminates "good aim" as a necessity to score a single kill. It certainly does not compensate for skill nor is it a particularly superb option in the hands of a skilled player. It also doesn't outright suck.

Frankly, it's a fine addition to this game. It gives people who might not even get the chance to enjoy themselves the capability to at least kill people in full-on "got the jump on you" scenarios, fits the universe nicely, it's cool (seriously did no one else think of the Fifth Element gun? just me?), and it doesn't break gameplay.
You use it in first person and you shoot with it. How does it not belong in a first person shooter? Do the lock on Titan missiles not belong in a FPS, either?
bingo bango bongo
SP should notify the victim that they're being locked on to after the second lock and then they could react IMO
My problem with this is that it would become a very different type of weapon. Respawn actually commented on it in this thread. With that limitation, I think it would actually be borderline useless unless otherwise buffed, and then we're getting into "nerf this buff that" territory to fix something that really isn't that broken if you take a step back and consider its role.

Reverend

Neo Member
SP should notify the victim that they're being locked on to after the second lock and then they could react IMO

That would make the weapon next to useless. At the ranges at which the Smart Pistol is useful, it wouldn't be THAT hard to notice the lockon, spin around, find the guy, paste him, and be on your way. The Smart pistol is literally designed for stealth attacks.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I've been killed with it in scenarios in which I could have been easily killed by any other gun- someone saw me and had plenty of time without my having any clue where they were. In situations where it's a fair firefight- or ones in which I have even the slightest chance to react and address the threat- it's patently weak.

Prologue

I had a dream about TitanFall yesterday. Was in the Titan. Don't even have the system, nor the game. Haven't been to this thread in a week.

MS is calling me home.

This is a silly argument that ignores the huge differences between the lock on options on the titan and the smart pistol. The fact that the lock on options can be dodged and is limited in availability is just one reason.

I don't think your argument is a genuine argument because it ignores basic principles of FPS. Just having a first person view and a gun doesn't make something a fps. That is like arguing SWTOR is a third person shooter because you're in third person and shooting a gun. Please don't ignore fundamentals of a genre when you're making an argument about what does and doesn't fall within the genre.

By your definition, this guy is playing a third person shooter. He has a gun, it is in third person view, and he is shooting things.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=la_q8aE4H7Q#t=710

What does or doesn't belong in an FPS shouldn't be defined merely by "what has been included in FPSs until now."

This is not what I am arguing.

--

I don't see how anyone can be okay with this weapon being in the game. It is a weapon that literally does all of the work for you outside of you generally looking in their direction. It is far from the titan lock on options which are situational cooldown attacks, which are 100% fine due to their limited usage and specialized nature of needing a titan to use in the first place. The slaved warheads only target other titans and do not have the capacity to 1hk a titan (will kill pilots if they happen to get in the way). And the multi-target rockets are also fairly limited in usage. Both can be dodged since they are not hitscan (not sure how easy the multi-missile attack can be dodged) or blocked with vortex.

The only reason I can see someone being okay with it is because it can be out skilled (by being okay, I mean just accepting it is there and not actually wanting it to be there). Even when you're killed with it in the back, where other weapons would kill you just as easily, the weapon is still removing instances where you would miss just based on spread % chance alone. And your % hit chance is not affected by jumping or wall running.

When you remove the skill portion from the game in such a big way by having a primary weapon that performs consistently well, you remove a HUGE aspect of mastering a fps. Because consistency is that big a deal in mastering a fps.

All good games are easy to learn and hard to master. Right now, the smart pistol makes it easy to master a weapon.

Random thought: it would be cool if Respawn made Titanfall game in a faux-WWII setting. Basically an alternate WWII with Titans. Would definitely be something different.

Have only been killed by the Smart Pistol a few times, and similarly have not had much luck with it against other pilots. Seems much more suited to taking out a fire team of minions in attrition.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom