• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Titanfall |OT| Titan Online. Signal When Ready.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Cowboy

I just have this feeling that I really like the Arc Cannon even though I don't totally get it yet. What chassis are you in? I might equip it on a secondary load out even if it's not right for my speed demon standard.
I use the Ogre with the Arc Cannon, due to its range and charge up time for big shots I find having the extra armour to be good with it, I tried it on a Stryder and well, it kinda sucks with it IMO. Generally I have it setup for a mid to mid/long range fights as it has a range of around 50m (I think),

I use the following with it (to last as long as possible under fire).

Orge with Arc Cannon.
Electric smoke or Particle wall (still haven't decided which I like best).
Cluster missiles (to match the Arc cannons ability to hit other targets with the main shot)
Regen booster (to get shields back when you go behind cover to charge the Arc cannon).
Survivor (so you can stay in the fight longer).

Its my preferred way of using the weapon and I'm sure others will prefer different perks etc, but I really like this setup.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
This is not what I am arguing.
Sure it is. Based on your clarification I don't think I've misunderstood you at all. You think that requiring good aim should be a requisite of any gun in an FPS, because that's what FPSs are like. Your attempt to reframe what tetsuo said as equivalent to calling SWTOR a third-person shooter just confirms it for me.

From my frame of reference, the key differentiator is control. I interpreted what he said ("it's in first-person and you shoot it") as a glib simplification of what should be obvious to anyone who has played a variety of genres of games. SWTOR might superficially resemble a third-person shooter to the eye, but playing it (in a mechanical sense) will rapidly assure you it is nothing of the sort. No weapon could be added to SWTOR that would make it a third-person shooter.

But Titanfall is an FPS. The Smart Pistol is a weapon in it just like any other. You find it unacceptable that one of its properties is that it eliminates the need to have skilled aim as a condition for scoring a kill. But from my point of view that is merely part of its design vision, and it doesn't belong any more or less in the genre because of it.

Montresor

When I play at my apartment, every 45-60 seconds, while playing a match, my screen will say "Attempting reconnect to server". It won't kick me out of the match. I will be unable to move and the screen will go dim and "Attempting to reconnect to server" appears on the screen for a few seconds.

It's really annoying. I played all weekend at my brother's place and never ran into this issue.

I have Teksavvy internet in downtown Toronto with 28Mbps download...

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I use the Ogre with the Arc Cannon, due to its range and charge up time for big shots I find having the extra armour to be good with it, I tried it on a Stryder and well, it kinda sucks with it IMO. Generally I have it setup for a mid to mid/long range fights as it has a range of around 50m (I think),

I use the following with it (to last as long as possible under fire).

Orge with Arc Cannon.
Electric smoke or Particle wall (still haven't decided which I like best).
Cluster missiles (to match the Arc cannons ability to hit other targets with the main shot)
Regen booster (to get shields back when you go behind cover to charge the Arc cannon).
Survivor (so you can stay in the fight longer).

Its my preferred way of using the weapon and I'm sure others will prefer different perks etc, but I really like this setup.
Thx, gonna try this or as close as I can get with my unlocks. It'll be a nice counterpart to my preferred style of "wait was there a giant robot here I thought there was a giant robot here oh there it is no wait it's gone again oh look at that I've exploded."

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
This is a silly argument that ignores the huge differences between the lock on options on the titan and the smart pistol. The fact that the lock on options can be dodged and is limited in availability is just one reason.

I don't think your argument is a genuine argument because it ignores basic principles of FPS. Just having a first person view and a gun doesn't make something a fps. That is like arguing SWTOR is a third person shooter because you're in third person and shooting a gun. Please don't ignore fundamentals of a genre when you're making an argument about what does and doesn't fall within the genre.

By your definition, this guy is playing a third person shooter. He has a gun, it is in third person view, and he is shooting things.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=la_q8aE4H7Q#t=710

--

I don't see how anyone can be okay with this weapon being in the game. It is a weapon that literally does all of the work for you outside of you generally looking in their direction. It is far from the titan lock on options which are situational cooldown attacks, which are 100% fine due to their limited usage and specialized nature of needing a titan to use in the first place. The slaved warheads only target other titans and do not have the capacity to 1hk a titan (will kill pilots if they happen to get in the way). And the multi-target rockets are also fairly limited in usage. Both can be dodged since they are not hitscan (not sure how easy the multi-missile attack can be dodged) or blocked with vortex.

The only reason I can see someone being okay with it is because it can be out skilled (by being okay, I mean just accepting it is there and not actually wanting it to be there). Even when you're killed with it in the back, where other weapons would kill you just as easily, the weapon is still removing instances where you would miss just based on spread % chance alone. And your % hit chance is not affected by jumping or wall running.

When you remove the skill portion from the game in such a big way by having a primary weapon that performs consistently well, you remove a HUGE aspect of mastering a fps. Because consistency is that big a deal in mastering a fps.

All good games are easy to learn and hard to master. Right now, the smart pistol makes it easy to master a weapon.

You are trying way too hard. The TOR argument is just lol worthy. What other requirement is needed for the gun besides it being balanced? That is has to attribute to a players mastery of a FPS? Stop it.

The gun belongs in the game because Respawn designed it to work, and quite well, in the game.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
The smart pistol is fine because it opens a new avenue of play style, I wish more weapons had been designed to feel as unique as the smart pistol does.

For example, the smart pistol allows you to put all your strategy and skill on movement and positioning even if you're not very accurate.

Though honestly, I wish that this game didn't have ADS and instead worked more like the CAR with counter weight.

Smart pistol, I used it once and just didn't care for it. Been killed by it a few times. Doesn't bother me at all and if other people are having fun with it then...isn't that the point of the game?

Lunar15

Arguing that the smart pistol shouldn't be in the game because it locks on is like arguing that grenades shouldn't be in the game because they do splash damage. Like any other weapon, it has a range and you have to line it up right. Heck, grenades are even more broken, theoretically speaking.

The smart pistol isn't even that great. If you're getting killed by the smart pistol, you aren't moving around enough.

You are trying way too hard. The TOR argument is just lol worthy. What other requirement is needed for the gun besides it being balanced? That is has to attribute to a players mastery of a FPS? Stop it.

The gun belongs in the game because Respawn designed it to work, and quite well, in the game.

What? I put forth a very real and SIMPLE argument and your response is to call it lol worthy?

There are many other requirements for the gun besides being balanced, which is questionable at best.

And yes, the skill floor/ceiling is a big part of it. You're just being argumentative (with non-genuine arguments) and yet dismissive of solid arguments put forth.

Claiming I am trying way too hard is just the trashiest troll move you could have responded with, without being slapped.

So you're not playing an FPS when you play on console, or if you use controller in Titanfall on PC? OK.

You're going to have to elaborate on this point, unless you're talking about the aim ASSIST in which case I understand what you are trying to say. Aim assist from controllers and the auto-aim of the smart pistol are entirely different creatures.

eek5

That would make the weapon next to useless. At the ranges at which the Smart Pistol is useful, it wouldn't be THAT hard to notice the lockon, spin around, find the guy, paste him, and be on your way. The Smart pistol is literally designed for stealth attacks.

Yeah if you can find him, kill him and your aim/ttk is faster than his third lock and trigger pull....

The time between the 2nd and third lock is pretty fast. I'd bet that most of the time by the time you realized it was notifying you of a lock you'd be dead.

My problem with this is that it would become a very different type of weapon. Respawn actually commented on it in this thread. With that limitation, I think it would actually be borderline useless unless otherwise buffed, and then we're getting into "nerf this buff that" territory to fix something that really isn't that broken if you take a step back and consider its role.

The only problem I could see with a notification on 2/3 locks is notifying someone you're in the area with a accidental double lock.

The smart pistol isn't even that great. If you're getting killed by the smart pistol, you aren't moving around enough.

The lock-on for player killing is not great, you're right, but the actual attempted lock is HUGE because it notifies SP user that someone is in their reticle immediately. I stay very competitive with SP and I rarely ever use triple lock for players just because I can enter a room and immediately identify targets.

Sojgat

Arguing that the smart pistol shouldn't be in the game because it locks on is like arguing that grenades shouldn't be in the game because they do splash damage. Like any other weapon, it has a range and you have to line it up right. Heck, grenades are even more broken, theoretically speaking.

This is the truth.

Woo-Fu

Banned
You're going to have to elaborate on this point, unless you're talking about the aim ASSIST in which case I understand what you are trying to say. Aim assist from controllers and the auto-aim of the smart pistol are entirely different creatures.

They're both "aiming for you". Your words, your logic, not mine.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
This is a silly argument that ignores the huge differences between the lock on options on the titan and the smart pistol. The fact that the lock on options can be dodged and is limited in availability is just one reason.

I don't think your argument is a genuine argument because it ignores basic principles of FPS. Just having a first person view and a gun doesn't make something a fps. That is like arguing SWTOR is a third person shooter because you're in third person and shooting a gun. Please don't ignore fundamentals of a genre when you're making an argument about what does and doesn't fall within the genre.

By your definition, this guy is playing a third person shooter. He has a gun, it is in third person view, and he is shooting things.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=la_q8aE4H7Q#t=710

--

I don't see how anyone can be okay with this weapon being in the game. It is a weapon that literally does all of the work for you outside of you generally looking in their direction. It is far from the titan lock on options which are situational cooldown attacks, which are 100% fine due to their limited usage and specialized nature of needing a titan to use in the first place. The slaved warheads only target other titans and do not have the capacity to 1hk a titan (will kill pilots if they happen to get in the way). And the multi-target rockets are also fairly limited in usage. Both can be dodged since they are not hitscan (not sure how easy the multi-missile attack can be dodged) or blocked with vortex.

The only reason I can see someone being okay with it is because it can be out skilled (by being okay, I mean just accepting it is there and not actually wanting it to be there). Even when you're killed with it in the back, where other weapons would kill you just as easily, the weapon is still removing instances where you would miss just based on spread % chance alone. And your % hit chance is not affected by jumping or wall running.

When you remove the skill portion from the game in such a big way by having a primary weapon that performs consistently well, you remove a HUGE aspect of mastering a fps. Because consistency is that big a deal in mastering a fps.

All good games are easy to learn and hard to master. Right now, the smart pistol makes it easy to master a weapon.

The smart pistol is not hit scan lol, not sure where you remotely got that idea. If it hits you when it shouldn't it's because of lag generally.

I find the smart pistol great fun to play. Can help catch flag carriers, pilots on titans, can even lock to mines and such. Even titan missiles!

You'll never win if a pilot spots you out of your range but it is an amazing feeling when your opponent goes almost stationary with ADS and you bounce on 3 walls as it locks on and take him out.

f0nz0

Anyone else having a hard time getting familiar with the maps? Don't know what it is.. maybe because this is the 1st fps I'm playing on small screen (15" laptop screen).. but i haven't been able to orient myself well with these maps..
Maybe because game play is so fast that I don't have time to look around and find points on reference. . I'm goin to try playing on a bigger screen to see if that helps

They're both "aiming for you". Your words, your logic, not mine.

You're ignoring the fact that aim assist doesn't aim for you. It helps your tracking ability, doesn't replace it. It doesn't guarantee you a kill at the click of a button... I don't even see why this needs to be explained. You've played the game, right? You know there is a world's difference.

The smart pistol is not hit scan lol, not sure where you remotely got that idea. If it hits you when it shouldn't it's because of lag generally.

It doesn't even matter if it is hitscan or not since the bullet projectile speed and accuracy ensure that it is pretty much the same thing.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
What? I put forth a very real and SIMPLE argument and your response is to call it lol worthy?

Comparing the smart pistol to TAB targeting TOR is laughable, yes. That game does not control, play like or mechanically resemble any third person shooter ever.

There are many other requirements for the gun besides being balanced, which is questionable at best.

Like what?

And yes, the skill floor/ceiling is a big part of it.

Why?

You're just being argumentative (with non-genuine arguments) and yet dismissive of solid arguments put forth.

My arguments are plenty genuine. You are the one comparing a FPS to an MMO. At least use an actual shooter that has auto-target like Max Payne 3. I guess none of the weapons in that game belong in a shooter, either?

Claiming I am trying way too hard is just the trashiest troll move you could have responded with, without being slapped.

I guess?

All I see from you is "I don't like it therefore it doesn't belong here is an MMO to prove it"

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Yeah if you can find him, kill him and your aim/ttk is faster than his third lock and trigger pull....
I can assure you that mine is with a shotgun, and I am absolutely nowhere even remotely near the top of this game's skill distribution. It wouldn't save me every single time, but it would make smart pistol users a lot more like cannon fodder than anything competitive.

The way it is right now, at my skill level, if someone killed me with the smart pistol they had the drop on me, and a luxurious amount of time to look at me before I knew where they were. In this time frame I could have been killed by any other gun, and if I do at some point spot them they have little to no chance despite having the drop on me.

Honestly it's pretty well-designed in its current form.
You're ignoring the fact that aim assist doesn't aim for you. It helps your tracking ability, doesn't replace it. It doesn't guarantee you a kill at the click of a button... I don't even see why this needs to be explained. You've played the game, right? You know there is a world's difference.
I don't think it's necessarily an appropriate comparison, but the smart pistol doesn't "guarantee you a kill at the click of a button" either. The lock can be broken, and the bullets can hit stuff.
It doesn't even matter if it is hitscan or not since the bullet projectile speed and accuracy ensure that it is pretty much the same thing.
I can't even follow this. There's an enormous difference. I'm not sure I would even be on your side of this argument if it was hitscan, or "lockscan" or whatever, but it is not.
Anyone else having a hard time getting familiar with the maps? Don't know what it is.. maybe because this is the 1st fps I'm playing on small screen (15" laptop screen).. but i haven't been able to orient myself well with these maps..
Maybe because game play is so fast that I don't have time to look around and find points on reference. . I'm goin to try playing on a bigger screen to see if that helps
Actually, yeah, this is an issue for me. I'm not comfortable with ANY of them yet and I haven't even seen them all. Kind of wish there was a way to just hop in to an empty one and run around a bit...

Just going to go ahead and disagree. What does or doesn't belong in an FPS shouldn't be defined merely by "what has been included in FPSs until now." Furthermore this isn't the first weapon in any FPS that locks on to people. -_-

I just think it's a stupid gun and counter intuitive for the FPS genre. But if people have fun with it, whatever. I don't really care, it's not OP and doesn't bother me one bit how people enjoy playing the game they bought.

All I see from you is "I don't like it therefore it doesn't belong here is an MMO to prove it"

You're just being dismissive. Every sentence is just a cheap way to dismiss my argument, but even worse they are not accurate in context.

SWTOR was an example used to show that your argument of "it is first person and you shoot" being false. Now you're essentially saying I used it in a different context and saying I am wrong with that example.

Minimizing my position to "I don't like it" is not accurate and just a cop out because you don't have a legitimate response. I've put forth several reasons why a gun with auto-aim that can 1hk doesn't belong in a competitive fps.

I can have a great game, and the next game I get killed by smart pistol users four times in a row. Makes me so angry I just pre-emptively quit to menu, I don't have the willpower to endure bullshit in online shooters anymore.

I will say that one guy who killed me with the Smart Pistol today actually impressed me. I was behind him, and start shooting. He's cloaked, and I'm tired, but in theory I should've killed him. He, however, takes advantage of me not shooting completely on target, jumps up the wall next to him, bounces on the other wall into the air, all the while waiting for his smart pistol to lock and give me an extra breathing hole. That was a great kill. It's the ones where they aren't even looking at you and the weapon just automatically homes in on me while I'm wallrunning, even when cloaked, that piss me off. And there's too many of those.

nbraun80

So I hit 25 and got a burn card pack but I think I only had 1 or 2 slots open so I think I got nothing from the pack? If so that pretty lame. I'm constantly trying to use 2 or 3 cards a game just to keep up with keeping it not full. The capacity really needs to be higher than 29 or whatever it is.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
You're just being dismissive. Every sentence is just a cheap way to dismiss my argument, but even worse they are not accurate in context.

SWTOR was an example used to show that your argument of "it is first person and you shoot" being false. Now you're essentially saying I used it in a different context and saying I am wrong with that example.

Minimizing my position to "I don't like it" is not accurate and just a cop out because you don't have a legitimate response. I've put forth several reasons why a gun with auto-aim that can 1hk doesn't belong in a competitive fps.

Did you not read the responses in the quote?

Lima

So I hit 25 and got a burn card pack but I think I only had 1 or 2 slots open so I think I got nothing from the pack? If so that pretty lame. I'm constantly trying to use 2 or 3 cards a game just to keep up with keeping it not full. The capacity really needs to be higher than 29 or whatever it is.

Just discard down to 16 before a match. So many useless cards are in there. I agree that they should bump the limit though.

DocGaf

Neo Member

At least it didn't delete your bottom cards. I haven't been really using my titan cards so those are always on the bottom, and always get automatically discarded whenever I overlook tossing other cards out before a match. I'd much rather just have it not give me other cards. +1 on having a higher burn card limit though.

Abelian75

Neo Member

Yes, but you don't seem to be responding very well to any of the points people have made that explain why your arguments don't make a lot of sense, such as:

- Plenty of other weapons in FPSs don't shoot a bullet in a straight line right where you are pointing. There are weapons that bounce, weapons that stick to a spot and blow up when someone passes by, melee attacks, weapons that fire homing projectiles after a lock on (like the smart pistol), weapons that create a damaging area around you (which requires no aiming at all!), etc. Your response to this seems to be that you just don't like that it is a one-hit kill, which is moving the goalposts from your original assertion that such a weapon makes it not even an FPS.

- Aim assist is a thing and it aims for you too. You responded to this by saying that you still have to aim yourself with aim assist, but this is true for the smart pistol as well. You have to keep the target within the reticle the entire time you are locking. That means you still have to aim with the smart pistol. It's a difference of degree, but if your assertion is that nothing should aim for you in order for the game to count as an FPS, degree is irrelevant. You are either aiming entirely on your own or not. Aim assist means you are not.

Now, if you're reducing the scope of your argument to just say that you don't like the balance of the smart pistol, that's fine, though I personally disagree (I could certainly see changing my mind down the line). But the stronger argument you were (at least initially) making in which you were claiming that it doesn't even count as an FPS weapon isn't a very good argument. You either have to reject the vast majority of FPSs as being true FPSs, or you have to accept that the smart pistol doesn't magically make the game not an FPS.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I just think it's a stupid gun and counter intuitive for the FPS genre. But if people have fun with it, whatever. I don't really care, it's not OP and doesn't bother me one bit how people enjoy playing the game they bought.
That's a reasonable position.
I can have a great game, and the next game I get killed by smart pistol users four times in a row. Makes me so angry I just pre-emptively quit to menu, I don't have the willpower to endure bullshit in online shooters anymore.
This feels a bit odd, I guess. I don't really reflect on it when I get killed by the CAR four times in a row, or by other shotgun users 4 times in a row, or meleed four times in a row, though I'd wager all of these things have happened. But in the case of it being that one weapon you ascribe it to the weapon itself...

It probably is a good idea for you to just take a break if you find things of that nature are getting to you. And if there's a layer here which isn't being voiced that entails that the smart pistol makes the game too viable for casuals and that drags the game down then I'll move my position from "not a big deal" to actively championing its inclusion. That's the kind of shit I don't have the willpower to endure in online gaming anymore.

At least it didn't delete your bottom cards. I haven't been really using my titan cards so those are always on the bottom, and always get automatically discarded whenever I overlook tossing other cards out before a match. I'd much rather just have it not give me other cards. +1 on having a higher burn card limit though.

R.I.P free Ogre card

nbraun80

yeah that does suck. I just thought that since it was a 'pack' that it might be in mu inventory and can open it when I want. Ha

That's a reasonable position.

This feels a bit odd, I guess. I don't really reflect on it when I get killed by the CAR four times in a row, or by other shotgun users 4 times in a row, or meleed four times in a row, though I'd wager all of these things have happened. But in the case of it being that one weapon you ascribe it to the weapon itself...

It probably is a good idea for you to just take a break if you find things of that nature are getting to you. And if there's a layer here which isn't being voiced that entails that the smart pistol makes the game too viable for casuals and that drags the game down then I'll move my position from "not a big deal" to actively championing its inclusion. That's the kind of shit I don't have the willpower to endure in online gaming anymore.

Well, that's exactly what I do, take a break. I don't play all that much anyway, and if you're not having fun, it's not worth it.

It's not really exclusive to the Smart Pistol, when I'm playing alone and I get picked off four times before I even get a chance to do something, I'm not having fun, and it's time for a break. I don't usually feel the need to quit, but I'd been having a lot of bad games today, so it really was the right moment to call it a day. :lol

But, to go back to the Smart Pistol: it could happen with any other weapon just as much but I just feel the Smart Pistol cheapens the entire thing, because it's basically a bullshit death generator. As I said, it can be used skillfully, and I've seen people who've really impressed me in the way they handle it. But the ratio of bullshit deaths I've seen happen with it (even when I used the weapon myself) is a lot higher with the Smart Pistol than it is with any other weapon in the game. I remember one kill I made with the Amped Smart Pistol, where I just had to apologize to the guy, because I just felt so dirty. He was jumping over me and my gun still somehow found its mark, without me having to aim up. And with a weapon like that, it just happens a lot.

I think a lot of it has to do with the netcode. Same with the issues with the melee.

Is it just me or does the net code seem generally awful?

There are just way too many instances of lunging melees and being killed around corners.

I don't know, maybe I just expected more from a multiplayer only game being made by industry veterans.

Honest question: are the Campaign maps on their own separate servers/shards or are you just playing a Classic match with a lot of needless chatter laid over it clientside?

Nydius

Smart Pistol hate... could it stop please?

Personally, I find the Smart Pistol and the Jump Kick are the two things that do bring down the gameplay from exceptional to just great. I was hoping to get away from moronic one-hit-melee-kills like the COD knife, yet here they are in all their ridiculous glory, complete with the lunacy of being able to unload a full SMG clip into someone jump kicking you only for that person to escape unscathed.

If we had the ability to host our own servers, disabling smart pistol and jump kicking would be the first flags I'd set.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Smart Pistol is solid for grunt farming in attrition, but I really don't see it as a big deal otherwise. It's hardly even an easy mode weapon as you get so easily outgunned by other players, actual skillful use of it requires constant movement to confuse people, which means you're still actively aiming and keeping people within the reticle.

The scrubbiest use of it I've seen are people who just try to cloak in a corner to defend a hardpoint, which is why you should always toss a grenade/arc/satchel/whatever in a room first.

rjcc

agreed. or you're running around in the wide open. either way, you should not be in position long enough for that thing to lock on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom