• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Titanfall |OT| Titan Online. Signal When Ready.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't seen any huge problems with the netcode.

It just depends who you're playing with. I've seen it happen occasionally, where I'm clearly behind a wall and I suddenly drop dead, and when I see the other guy's killcam it's clear I was still exposed on his end. It only happens occasionally, probably has to do with where the other player is, or how good his or your connection is. Same with those insane melee kicks we've seen, or the smart pistol shit shots. Takes one moment for the connection to go a bit crazy and suddenly you're lying dead on the ground with no idea why. :lol

Overall though, I think the problems the game has are pretty minimal. You'll get an occasional hitch like that, but it's pretty much a flawless experience otherwise. The last game I played online was Halo 4, and I don't think I can ever go back to that game.

On an unrelated note, I've been noticing people are becoming better coördinated at killing rodeoing enemies. It's made it a bit more dangerous to climb on top of an enemy Titan, which is a good thing. Punching an enemy of a friendly Titan is a pretty badass feeling, someone here said Titans should have a bro-fist button afterwards, and I agree. :p

Tizzie

Neo Member
The smart pistol was probably introduced to entice the people who aren't good at aiming which I think is a pretty good idea, I actually have not been killed by a smart pistol since playing from day one.

Btw just got my Spitfire LMG, my favorite weapon so far. I've been getting high kills each game since I got it.

TrueGrime

Is it just me or does the net code seem generally awful?

There are just way too many instances of lunging melees and being killed around corners.

I don't know, maybe I just expected more from a multiplayer only game being made by industry veterans.

The only problem I've had with that is if I'm getting shot and I quickly move behind cover the game still thinks I'm still out of cover for those milliseconds. I then end up dying behind a wall. I swear, no FPS has been able to master that other than MW2.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
It's not really exclusive to the Smart Pistol, when I'm playing alone and I get picked off four times before I even get a chance to do something, I'm not having fun, and it's time for a break. I don't usually feel the need to quit, but I'd been having a lot of bad games today, so it really was the right moment to call it a day. :lol
don't get me wrong I get pissed if I die 4 times in a row too, hah

But, to go back to the Smart Pistol: it could happen with any other weapon just as much but I just feel the Smart Pistol cheapens the entire thing, because it's basically a bullshit death generator.
Okay if you're just saying it's a cheap weapon I get it. Titanfill hits me on the whole as a lot more balanced than a lot of FPS games that go for this kind of thing though.

don't get me wrong I get pissed if I die 4 times in a row too, hah

Okay if you're just saying it's a cheap weapon I get it. Titanfill hits me on the whole as a lot more balanced than a lot of FPS games that go for this kind of thing though.

Oh yeah, it is. Most weapons seem to have their roles, though they'll occasionally surprise you. I got one-shotted point-blank by a guy with the Rifle today, it was pretty amazing, and the way he stood around dazed for a split second told me he probably thought so too. :lol Just pow, right in the kisser.

I don't understand the people saying "I've hardly ever been killed by the Smart Pistol", though. I'm always on the move, hardly ever stand still, am nearly always up high, and yet I think that little thing is probably my biggest cause of death in the entire game. There's just so many people out there using it.

What wasn't happening before but is happening is now that since I'm using a silencer it takes a bit more to kill people. People are fucking throwing satchel charges like CoD C4 now. Been killed like that a few times.

I've seen some really impressive satchel kills, like a guy who managed to stick one right in front of my feet and detonate it. Sent me flying. :lol

The one weapon I've hardly ever seen in use is that three-shot-burst rifle (I forgot its name). I tried it a bit, and I don't really like it, either, the Carbine just feels superior.

TrueGrime

What wasn't happening before but is happening is now that since I'm using a silencer it takes a bit more to kill people. People are fucking throwing satchel charges like CoD C4 now. Been killed like that a few times.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
smart pistol pilots are free kills
Just imagine if it told you when it locked on. the bodies.

Actually a custom gametype where one player per round had the gun of their choice, all others had smart pistols and were on one team, but it told you when it locked on, would be fun as hell
okay yeah that has happened to me and it blows. much more frustrating than a smart pistol kill to me personally, but whatever.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
I kind of like it. As long as it is getting the hate maybe the shotgun is safe. ;)

Screw that, shot gun is a far worse offender. It actually makes me dislike hard points. Even if you know they're there there's only so many grenades you can throw and have catch them mostly unawares.

If your better off simply using the weapon in question then something is wrong.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Screw that, shot gun is far a worse offender. It actually makes me dislike hard points. Even if you know they're there there's only so many grenades you can throw and have catch them mostly unawares.

should be using satchel for that purpose on hardpoint probably.

Screw that, shot gun is a far worse offender. It actually makes me dislike hard points. Even if you know they're there there's only so many grenades you can throw and have catch them mostly unawares.

I'm a heavy camo user, so I usually can manage to get the drop on shotgun users in a Hardpoint. It's a bit OP, that's true: when they see you, even at mid-range, chances are you're gonna end up dead. That thing has an insane range.

I absolutely love the carbine. I get a high kill ratio with it even when it's silenced. Mostly because I use radar pulse and shoot before people see me coming.

CAR, Counterweight and Radar Pulse. God-tier.

TrueGrime

The one weapon I've hardly ever seen in use is that three-shot-burst rifle (I forgot its name). I tried it a bit, and I don't really like it, either, the Carbine just feels superior.

I absolutely love the carbine. I get a high kill ratio with it even when it's silenced. Mostly because I use radar pulse and shoot before people see me coming.

okay yeah that has happened to me and it blows. much more frustrating than a smart pistol kill to me personally, but whatever.

Shotguns in hardpoint when people are crouching in corners while invisible piss me off the most.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
I'm a heavy camo user, so I usually can manage to get the drop on shotgun users in a Hardpoint. It's a bit OP, that's true: when they see you, even at mid-range, chances are you're gonna end up dead. That thing has an insane range.

Yeah which you always find out the hard way.

It just depends who you're playing with. I've seen it happen occasionally, where I'm clearly behind a wall and I suddenly drop dead, and when I see the other guy's killcam it's clear I was still exposed on his end. It only happens occasionally, probably has to do with where the other player is, or how good his or your connection is. Same with those insane melee kicks we've seen, or the smart pistol shit shots. Takes one moment for the connection to go a bit crazy and suddenly you're lying dead on the ground with no idea why. :lol

Overall though, I think the problems the game has are pretty minimal. You'll get an occasional hitch like that, but it's pretty much a flawless experience otherwise. The last game I played online was Halo 4, and I don't think I can ever go back to that game.

On an unrelated note, I've been noticing people are becoming better coördinated at killing rodeoing enemies. It's made it a bit more dangerous to climb on top of an enemy Titan, which is a good thing. Punching an enemy of a friendly Titan is a pretty badass feeling, someone here said Titans should have a bro-fist button afterwards, and I agree. :p
The only huge problem I've seen with the netcode is people killing me with melee when I know they're too far away.

Principate

Saint Titanfall

CAR, Counterweight and Radar Pulse. God-tier.

Radar pulse in general outside of certain scenario's I think is the better perk simply having the enemy lose sight of you can turn the confrontation around if your on the losing end.

I've seen people use this in videos. Is it strictly a hip fire 'perk'?

Not a perk, it's a weapon upgrade. It allows you to accurately fire from the hip, yep. Couple it with run 'n gun kit and you're basically a whirlwind of bullets.

The only huge problem I've seen with the netcode is people killing me with melee when I know they're too far away.

That seems to happen a lot. Inversely, whenever I try it, they kill me before my melee connects.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Not a perk, it's a weapon upgrade. It allows you to accurately fire from the hip, yep. Couple it with run 'n gun kit and you're basically a whirlwind of bullets.

That seems to happen a lot. Inversely, whenever I try it, they kill me before my melee connects.

It always looks so silly too on my they're kick is no where near me, on there's it's perfectly lined up you couldn't find a cleaner hit.

mbmonk

When I don't run a supressor on a weapon I have been running the walk hack perk. I figure it helps offset the fact they see me on the minimap when I fire. What do other players use when they aren't using a supressed weapon? Just wondering.

I just started trying to use the Hemlock BF-R again today after a long break. I have found the 5 bullet burst modification to be fairly good. To be clear I agree the carbine is the best weapon in the game, so the 5 burst Hemlock isn't better than that gun.

That said the 5 burst seems to be an insta kill up close. At medium to far ranges I started aiming lower at the target so all 5 bullets have the best chance to connect and that has been successful so far. My test have been limited to just a couple of rounds. But the gun seems very viable at close & medium range at least. The weapon is growing on me.

Izuna

Banned
Personally, I find the Smart Pistol and the Jump Kick are the two things that do bring down the gameplay from exceptional to just great. I was hoping to get away from moronic one-hit-melee-kills like the COD knife, yet here they are in all their ridiculous glory, complete with the lunacy of being able to unload a full SMG clip into someone jump kicking you only for that person to escape unscathed.

If we had the ability to host our own servers, disabling smart pistol and jump kicking would be the first flags I'd set.

I mean seriously, people with Smart Pistol are very easy kills, it drastically limits where they can be and they can't defend a hardpoint either. It doesn't even work on cloak because it slows down the targeting and you any other gun will take out a cloaked person easily.

Jump Kick hate? Unless they enter a room at the door and you're there too it doesn't do much, I have seen some hit box issues but for the most part no one is going for the jump kick, it is needed if you need to reload or you have a sniper.

You can't unload any weapon clip in anyone and have them run away, unless you are missing all the time.

Lima

It always looks so silly too on my they're kick is no where near me, on there's it's perfectly lined up you couldn't find a cleaner hit.

To be fair the kick itself looks silly too.

Straight out of The Raid or something. I can't get my leg that high.

HelloMeow

I have been getting a lot of these. Both on titans and on pilots. Rounds that are a direct hit, but don't do anything.

iiaJcMJjiAKSX.gif

Principate

Saint Titanfall
To be fair the kick itself looks silly too.

Straight out of The Raid or something. I can't get my leg that high.
Your not a pilot that runs in a jet pack, they're super human. I mean one bad trajectory and bam your dead from hitting the wall.

When the fuck are they introducing matchmaking to this? It's probably already been beaten to death in here, but I'm getting sick of running into guys who have "prestiged" the game a couple times over and are just absolutely wiping the floor out of me and my team. And I'm a pretty good player. :/

eek5

I can assure you that mine is with a shotgun, and I am absolutely nowhere even remotely near the top of this game's skill distribution. It wouldn't save me every single time, but it would make smart pistol users a lot more like cannon fodder than anything competitive.

I'm assuming you missed it but my suggestion was for alert after the SECOND lock not the first one. You'd have to kill him before the third lock and trigger pull which probably has similar ttk to your shotgun if you include having to find out where he is which could be on your side, behind you, or above you.

Brites

Neo Member
I always sucked at FPS, since i barely play them.

But this game, with the pakour and the Smart Pistol make me able to play and do well. i love this

E92 M3

When the fuck are they introducing matchmaking to this? It's probably already been beaten to death in here, but I'm getting sick of running into guys who have "prestiged" the game a couple times over and are just absolutely wiping the floor out of me and my team. And I'm a pretty good player. :/

It's more do to the fact that these players are usually in a party. I think TItanfall should have a variety pack type playlist for players without a party. I'd love that for the times no one is online.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
I've been using the Stryder exclusively but I started using the Ogre today and found this set up to be effective (it amazes me how many players still fire at me even though I have a Vortex up).

Vortex is great always loved it but then moved onto smoke. When I regen it reminds me why I loved it. Nothing quite beats a well timed vortex, that or a rapid fire quad burst.

So satisfying to get right.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I feel naked without smoke. I like keeping Titan survivability up and typically pilots are a bigger threat to that. I've gotten good enough at dodging around to not need anything else, but all 3 options seem really solid.

I have been getting a lot of these. Both on titans and on pilots. Rounds that are a direct hit, but don't do anything.

iiaJcMJjiAKSX.gif

I notice this a lot with the 40mm when I fire at grunts/spectres. Not sure what's up with it.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I'm assuming you missed it but my suggestion was for alert after the SECOND lock not the first one. You'd have to kill him before the third lock and trigger pull which probably has similar ttk to your shotgun if you include having to find out where he is which could be on your side, behind you, or above you.
I saw it. I mean, okay, i'll take it. I don't think it really needs a nerf but I'd enjoy the benefit. He has to keep me on lock, too. So it's not just my having to find him, I can break the lock, then massacre him if successful.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I don't understand the people saying "I've hardly ever been killed by the Smart Pistol", though. I'm always on the move, hardly ever stand still, am nearly always up high, and yet I think that little thing is probably my biggest cause of death in the entire game. There's just so many people out there using it.
I'm definitely in the middle. I've been killed with it plenty but definitely not the number one. Probably either carbine, CAR, or... honestly maybe electric smoke. I like to rodeo :-[

edit: oops sorry. new page threw me

Personally, I find the Smart Pistol and the Jump Kick are the two things that do bring down the gameplay from exceptional to just great. I was hoping to get away from moronic one-hit-melee-kills like the COD knife, yet here they are in all their ridiculous glory, complete with the lunacy of being able to unload a full SMG clip into someone jump kicking you only for that person to escape unscathed.

If we had the ability to host our own servers, disabling smart pistol and jump kicking would be the first flags I'd set.

We're apparently approaching the game from entirely different vectors. I am ambivalent toward the smart pistol. When I get killed by someone wielding one, I get the same feeling as when I get killed by a grunt
fucking embarrassed to admit that's happened a time or two
. I feel like I screwed up to earn that death. It's really a moot point when I am going head to head with an opponent firing the smart pistol, they're going to die before I do most of the time.

When I read your comment on the jump kick, I thought we might be playing a different game. The jump kick is fucking awesome. It's cheesy and sometimes cheap, but always rewarding when you take someone out with the old Chuck Norris boot. I am glad it's in the game. Period.

The scrubbiest use of it I've seen are people who just try to cloak in a corner to defend a hardpoint, which is why you should always toss a grenade/arc/satchel/whatever in a room first.

Scrubbiest player reporting in. I defend the hardpoints that I capture. I've been known to satchel the doors and will blow you up the moment you step into my A, B or C. Sometimes I cloaked, sometimes I'm using radar pulse, but if I take a hardpoint, it's mine until you kill me.

Yes, but you don't seem to be responding very well to any of the points people have made that explain why your arguments don't make a lot of sense, such as:

- Plenty of other weapons in FPSs don't shoot a bullet in a straight line right where you are pointing. There are weapons that bounce, weapons that stick to a spot and blow up when someone passes by, melee attacks, weapons that fire homing projectiles after a lock on (like the smart pistol), weapons that create a damaging area around you (which requires no aiming at all!), etc. Your response to this seems to be that you just don't like that it is a one-hit kill, which is moving the goalposts from your original assertion that such a weapon makes it not even an FPS.

- Aim assist is a thing and it aims for you too. You responded to this by saying that you still have to aim yourself with aim assist, but this is true for the smart pistol as well. You have to keep the target within the reticle the entire time you are locking. That means you still have to aim with the smart pistol. It's a difference of degree, but if your assertion is that nothing should aim for you in order for the game to count as an FPS, degree is irrelevant. You are either aiming entirely on your own or not. Aim assist means you are not.

Now, if you're reducing the scope of your argument to just say that you don't like the balance of the smart pistol, that's fine, though I personally disagree (I could certainly see changing my mind down the line). But the stronger argument you were (at least initially) making in which you were claiming that it doesn't even count as an FPS weapon isn't a very good argument. You either have to reject the vast majority of FPSs as being true FPSs, or you have to accept that the smart pistol doesn't magically make the game not an FPS.

There is a significant difference between the smart pistol and all those other weapon types you've listed. The smart pistol aims itself and ensures hits. None of that other stuff does that, including proximity explosives.

And no, my response has never been solely because it is a 1hk. I placed that for emphasis. My original "assertion" is that it doesn't belong in a fps and that you aren't even really playing a fps when you use it. This had nothing to do with its ttk/stk or strength but it's functionality as a primary weapon. Balance is not an issue here.

Aim assist does not aim for you. I played fps on consoles for several years in the past and I know exactly how aim assist operates. But what is important, that you seem to be ignoring, is that you still need reflexes and tracking skills. Aim assist, in most games/modes, just assists in tracking. In some games it helps the reflex a bit more than others. Even in the most generous aim assist shooters, the difference from smart pistol is quite wide. It isn't just a difference in degree. Smart pistol eliminates tracking skills from the equation almost entirely. It is like saying you're tracking your opponent because he is on your screen. Tracking is following your opponent's movements, not just keeping him on screen.

And again, my argument is not that it is a balance issue, although it could be argued that the low skill floor of the weapon is so low it is quite unbalanced amongst newer players. The gun is balanced among higher skilled players because you can achieve shorter ttk with other weapons. I do have a problem that the weapon has such a low skill floor, but that is not what this has been about. It is about the fact that there is no tracking/aim reflex requirement for the weapon. This is something I assume is obvious about the weapon and thus when you're using it you're not really playing a fps. And guns in a fps, should have a tracking and/or aim reflex component. I think it is that simple. It is akin to using hacks in another fps. Someone using auto-aim cheat is not really playing a fps.

And finally, I never said the game is not a FPS. That is taking my position to an illogical extreme. While using the smart pistol you are basically not playing a FPS. You're hitting a button when they game tells you to to achieve kills. IMO, a weapon that has such a low skill ceiling, that is a non-situational, standard primary weapon, with the effectiveness it has does not belong in a fps. And again, when you're using a weapon that has auto-aim... you're definitely not playing a fps at that moment.

DarkJC

I can tell you really haven't actually used the smart pistol seriously to contend that all you need to do is "keep someone on screen". To argue that you need no tracking skills is laughable, especially in a game with people double jumping and wall running with shotguns.

edit: I would wager a lot of the time people are killed with the smart pistol is that they were finished off with some manual fire as well.

Oublieux

IMO, a weapon that has such a low skill ceiling, that is a non-situational, standard primary weapon, with the effectiveness it has does not belong in a fps.

I see where you're coming from, but the smart pistol does not have a low skill ceiling. It's a tool with weak damage and a slow 3 stage lock-on; it's not auto-aim as that implies it targets the player with every shot. Players have to compensate with increased wall running skills and stealth play. It's just a different tactic. Also, even with 3 stage lock-on, you aren't guaranteed a kill--plenty of times the bullets have been impeded by an obstacle.

Tawpgun

If you can beat the movement sections of the tutorial you can use a smart pistol.

The reason people don't like it is because it gives the user cheap kills.

It doesn't necessarily break the game. It isn't the most powerful weapon by any means. But its annoying when you do get killed by it because you know the person that killed you killed you with incredibly little effort.

At least when you are moving fast they have to track you with a small reticle of the carbine or whatever. With smart pistol they just need to be looking at your general direction within that massive aiming box.

Oublieux

It doesn't necessarily break the game. It isn't the most powerful weapon by any means. But its annoying when you do get killed by it because you know the person that killed you killed you with incredibly little effort.

Rolls eyes. Use the smart pistol more and see if this is true because it is most definitely not. Otherwise, everyone would be using the smart pistol if it was such "little effort."

Kid Ska

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Put a titan down in one of the intersections of rise. Just before mine fell, an enemy titan landed in the exact same spot. BOOM.

This game has so many opportunities for amazing moments.

It just depends who you're playing with. I've seen it happen occasionally, where I'm clearly behind a wall and I suddenly drop dead, and when I see the other guy's killcam it's clear I was still exposed on his end.

See this is the issue I have except even on the kill cam it shows me well out of view when I die. If it showed me in their line of sight then it would at least make sense but more often than not it doesn't. I don't know if it's an issue with the net code itself or if the people I'm playing against just have awful connections. It seems to happen often enough that I'm inclined to think the former.

Anyway, in terms of the lunging melee. This just happened to me a little bit ago. I definitely wasn't happy. I left the kill cam in even though it doesn't show all that much.

http://1drv.ms/NvKVUf

I definitely get killed a lot using the smart pistol. It's not easy as some think. I think it's well balanced. Locking onto a pilot can be quite hard

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
It's little effort if you have the drop on someone or if they suck. In either scenario, my shotty is even less effort because I don't have to wait, barely even any more aiming if I'm close. In an even, skilled-combatant duel scenario, it takes significant effort to use effectively.

Kalm

iiaJcMJjiAKSX.gif

Well, those aren't direct hits...

I noticed right away that the 40mm doesn't actually do splash damage to pilots -- in spite of the explosive animation. It's most likely a balance thing because it would be god-tier if it did.

Mechazawa

As a Smart Pistol user, here's a couple of things I want to add:

A) You still need to outmaneuver the enemy team if you want to do well with the Smart Pistol. All the lock ons in the the world aren't going to help you if you're not in range, out of sight and constantly moving. Cloak, suppressor, NeverStopRunning. That's how you do well with the Smart Pistol. That's why I rarely actually ever see a Smart Pistol user in the public pool that isn't garbage.

B) If you die by it, you are a terrible aim in a duel or you got hit at an angle you weren't looking at. I've gotten some fantastic scoreboards out of the Smart Pistol, and it's almost always because I kept getting the drop on enemies. I know this may sound shocking to guys like Mobius, but shooters are also about mobility and positioning, and the SP lives and dies by how often you can get the drop on an enemy and how rarely they can ever catch you in their line of sight.

C) It's straight trash in anything that isn't attrition. Anyone who actually wants to help their team needs to retire the Smart Pistol in CTF or Hardpoint.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom