• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Titanfall |OT| Titan Online. Signal When Ready.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oublieux

I also mentioned this before, but a smart pistol loadout usually robs you a lot of other perks that other primary weapon users rely on. I roll with active radar pulse to get the drop on enemy players but lose cloak and stim--that's a significant disadvantage; I'm slow and can't hide in the open so I have to rely on map sense and movement. I use Run n' Gun as my Tier 1 as well so that even I don't get a full lock kill, I can sprint shoot with my secondary pistol, but of course that robs me of enhanced parkour, explosive pack, etc.

HelloMeow

Well, those aren't direct hits...

I noticed right away that the 40mm doesn't actually do splash damage to pilots -- in spite of the explosive animation. It's most likely a balance thing because it would be god-tier if it did.

The first shot was a direct hit.

The 40mm does do splash damage to pilots. Quite a bit actually. You don't know what you're talking about.

YRJD0xA.gif

The Cowboy

C) It's straight trash in anything that isn't attrition. Anyone who actually wants to help their team needs to retire the Smart Pistol in CTF or Hardpoint.
I can't agree with this, the SP is great in both of those modes if you use it well, Its a great wallhanging while cloaked defence weapon (on a HP or flag guarding), and if your good at getting around the maps its a great chaser/ambush weapon.

Kalm

As a Smart Pistol user, here's a couple of things I want to add:

C) It's straight trash in anything that isn't attrition. Anyone who actually wants to help their team needs to retire the Smart Pistol in CTF or Hardpoint.

Not really.

I start every match type with a Smart-Pistol/Satchel/Run-n-Gun setup and farm grunts like mad to get my Titan out long before anyone else.

It only takes about a minute and then I can switch to a more traditional primary weapon depending on the map.

Having a Chaingun/E-Smoke/Cluster-Missile equipped Titan rip through a map full of enemy Pilots is both ridiculously fun and beneficial to the team in objective-based maps.

The first shot was a direct hit.

The 40mm does do splash damage to pilots. Quite a bit actually. You don't know what you're talking about.

YRJD0xA.gif

Yea sorry, mate. I didn't have the benefit of seeing it slowed down.

I played with the 40mm for all of 2nd gen and it was basically impossible to kill a pilot without lining him up perfectly with a red reticle before pulling the trigger. My experience was exactly like your original GIF.

Does anyone else frequently find themselves being put into in progress, almost over games whenever they jump into variety pack? I guess maybe the game expects you to stay in a lobby but, as plenty have said, no team scramble means if you have a shit team you're stuck. Maybe I'm just biased because the last three times I clicked variety I was put in an in progress match. One of those was mere seconds from the epilogue. Not really sure why those get factored into stats. . .

Anyways. I did have a blast playing tonight. Ogre Titan has been great, and I finally got rid of Auto Eject on all my Titans because you just can't not have the Big Fist ability when you play like me. Rolling the Spitfire and extra Satchel Charges to take down Titans. Although, I'll be honest, the Spitfire does enough damage, and I suck with Satchel Charges, so I might switch them out.

Mechazawa

I can't agree with this, the SP is great in both of those modes, its a great wallhanging while cloaked defence weapon, and if your good at getting around the maps its a great chaser/ambush weapon.

I don't know, you don't have any leeway to fuck up in Hardpoint. If you don't get the lock on fast enough while defending a Hardpoint, you'll die. If you don't kill someone as soon as you enter a Hardpoint area, you'll die. I can wallhang with a shotgun and it doesn't leave me vulnerable if I miss a couple of shots or start getting shot at. Maybe I need to mess around more with it, but in a scenario where you have to stay stationary or enter an area where enemies are expecting you to come in, I don't see how it's not an all around worse weapon than an SMG or Shotgun.

CTF just seems crazy risky. You can't run the flag with a Smart Pistol since you need to kill anything in your way as fast as possible and chasing flag carriers down with a Smart Pistol is a bad proposition if you fail to get in range with a lock on when you otherwise could have killed the carrier with a weapon that has more range.

E92 M3

Does anyone else frequently find themselves being put into in progress, almost over games whenever they jump into variety pack? I guess maybe the game expects you to stay in a lobby but, as plenty have said, no team scramble means if you have a shit team you're stuck. Maybe I'm just biased because the last three times I clicked variety I was put in an in progress match. One of those was mere seconds from the epilogue. Not really sure why those get factored into stats. . .

Anyways. I did have a blast playing tonight. Ogre Titan has been great, and I finally got rid of Auto Eject on all my Titans because you just can't not have the Big Fist ability when you play like me. Rolling the Spitfire and extra Satchel Charges to take down Titans. Although, I'll be honest, the Spitfire does enough damage, and I suck with Satchel Charges, so I might switch them out.

It's still unfortunate that developers haven't implemented a system where games joined in progress don't count for win or loss. Otherwise, how is it fair to track wins and losses to only be placed in games that are practically over? I've had it happen to me before, and it's also why I'm so hesitant to play alone these days.

It's still unfortunate that developers haven't implemented a system where games joined in progress don't count for win or loss. Otherwise, how is it fair to track wins and losses to only be placed in games that are practically over? I've had it happen to me before, and it's also why I'm so hesitant to play alone these days.

It really should be a no-brainer. Or have it so that you have to be in a match for a certain percentage of the play time for it to count.

I'm not obsessed with my stats or anything but sheesh, Titanfall makes them a few clicks away from the game lobby. It's hard not to be bothered by a string of losses dead-weighting your beautiful point graph to the ground just because you joined a game as the drop ship takes off. By far the worst is when I just don't catch that the match is over and i gobble up some rare Burn Card. Instant regret.

E92 M3

It really should be a no-brainer. Or have it so that you have to be in a match for a certain percentage of the play time for it to count.

I'm not obsessed with my stats or anything but sheesh, Titanfall makes them a few clicks away from the game lobby. It's hard not to be bothered by a string of losses dead-weighting your beautiful point graph to the ground just because you joined a game as the drop ship takes off. By far the worst is when I just don't catch that the match is over and i gobble up some rare Burn Card. Instant regret.

I hope they are reading here and think about putting in a system to fix this. It is a no-brainer, but I also think it's something completely overlooked for some reason. A very small issue to most.

In terms of burn cards, I have a personal rule to only use the rare ones in fresh games lol.

HelloMeow

Not really.
Yea sorry, mate. I didn't have the benefit of seeing it slowed down.

I played with the 40mm for all of 2nd gen and it was basically impossible to kill a pilot without lining him up perfectly with a red reticle before pulling the trigger. My experience was exactly like your original GIF.

I thought it was pretty obvious, but fair enough. A direct hit is always an insta kill. Most of the time you want to shoot near their feet and use the splash damage. It shouldn't take more than 2 shots. 3 if they're jumping.

Just had my first laggy game of Next-Gen. Ya know, I shouldn't get consider me being part of next-gen until I get my first very laggy game.

People we jumping from here to there everywhere.

Kalm

I thought it was pretty obvious, but fair enough. A direct hit is always an insta kill. Most of the time you want to shoot near their feet and use the splash damage. It shouldn't take more than 2 shots. 3 if they're jumping.

Thanks, I'll try that.

I ended up switching to the Chaingun for this gen as it's dead-easy to kill pilots and actually does okay on Titans with extended mags and critical hits.

It'll be nice to go back to the 40mm because it's much more satisfying to get kills with.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
When I read your comment on the jump kick, I thought we might be playing a different game. The jump kick is fucking awesome. It's cheesy and sometimes cheap, but always rewarding when you take someone out with the old Chuck Norris boot. I am glad it's in the game. Period.

Scrubbiest player reporting in. I defend the hardpoints that I capture. I've been known to satchel the doors and will blow you up the moment you step into my A, B or C. Sometimes I cloaked, sometimes I'm using radar pulse, but if I take a hardpoint, it's mine until you kill me.

These two points highlight exactly how I feel when playing, never afraid to put a boot in and if I take a Hardpoint, god damn.. I'm defending it till death!

Montresor

When I play at my apartment, every 45-60 seconds, while playing a match, my screen will say "Attempting reconnect to server". It won't kick me out of the match. I will be unable to move and the screen will go dim and "Attempting to reconnect to server" appears on the screen for a few seconds.

It's really annoying. I played all weekend at my brother's place and never ran into this issue.

I have Teksavvy internet in downtown Toronto with 28Mbps download...

Is anyone else getting this kind of error?

E92 M3

What were the developers thinking forcing you to get titan kills with the plasma railgun before you can regenerate your rank?

I'd rather do that than kill 50 ejecting pilots. Only have 2 so far ;(. A lot of my friends are getting ahead too. I want that gen 7 rank so badly. The icon is awesome. Though, won't lie, gen 5 looks pretty cool too.

Ya know, if I'm on a team that loses a match, but I get to the drop ship and escape, it makes me feel better about the game. It makes the player feel accomplished without cheapening the victory for the other team. I'd like to see more MPs implement this type of thing.

E92 M3

Ya know, if I'm on a team that loses a match, but I get to the drop ship and escape, it makes me feel better about the game. It makes the player feel accomplished without cheapening the victory for the other team. I'd like to see more MPs implement this type of thing.

Yes, escaping means losing with honor and dignity lol.

wrongway

Anyone else having problems with abnormally high pings in this tonight? I normally have around 50 on US West, but tonight it's 150-200. Can't win any serious fights like this... I put 20 SMG rounds on target, die, and I don't even fire in the kill-cam. ><

edit: lol. I reset my modem and router, and reloaded Titanfall. The game auto-selected US South Central for me with a ping of 100. Get in game... 300 ping. o_O

The inability to customize mech appearance is inexcusable. The longer I play Titanfall the more I regret paying full price.

The inevitable DLC mechs are going to be stupid too.

Tawpgun

Rolls eyes. Use the smart pistol more and see if this is true because it is most definitely not. Otherwise, everyone would be using the smart pistol if it was such "little effort."

Rolls eyes

People don't use the smart pistol because it isn't very versatile and won't help a decent-good player more than the carbine will.

I went over this in my post. The smart pistol won't make anyone top of the leaderboard. Its not OP, its not game breaking.

It's Annoying

When I get killed by someone with a carbine or whatever, I know they had better aim/reaction time than me in a 1 on 1, or had good enough aim to follow my movements since I am almost always moving around. I never get frustrated when someone does this.

With a smart pistol, someone looked at me while I was unaware and killed me with very little effort involved.

There have been numerous times where someone has started shooting me from behind with the carbine but I've managed to turn around and take them out because my free running was making me a harder target to hit.

With the smart pistol I just die in one auto aimed burst, no time to react. Even the shotgun requires more finesse and more close quarters for a one hit kill.

I just find it a frustrating weapon to get killed by. It just feels cheap. A good game should have guns that are fun to shoot and fun to be shot at by.

Karl2177

Agreed. It would be nice if I got more than 200 XP though.

A good game should have guns that are fun to shoot and fun to be shot at by.

I love that quote and I was going to make a similar post, but you covered it well.

He was probably just adding to your point!

Yeah it was bad before I upgraded drivers then it was good.

It is going to stay bad for me til I get my replacement GPU. Not a good time to have to replace my GPU but at least it was still under warranty.

Both the beta maps ran excellent on the other gpu, even though I was already having issues at the time.

So for Gen 2 I only need to get 75 Pilot kills with the shotty overall or does it go beyond that?

To go from generation 2 to 3 you need:

EVA-8 Shotgun: 200 Enemy Kills
EVA-8 Shotgun: 75 Pilot Kills
Titan 40mm Cannon: 200 Enemy Kills
Titan 40mm Cannon: 50 Titan Kills

You can check your current status in the challenges menu. At the bottom is says regeneration requirements or something to that effect.

The Flash

Banned
To go from generation 2 to 3 you need:

EVA-8 Shotgun: 200 Enemy Kills
EVA-8 Shotgun: 75 Pilot Kills
Titan 40mm Cannon: 200 Enemy Kills
Titan 40mm Cannon: 50 Titan Kills

You can check your current status in the challenges menu. At the bottom is says regeneration requirements or something to that effect.

Okay good. For some reason I thought that 75 Kills was just Tier 1 and then I'd have to repeat it but with more kills. The Titanfall wiki made it sound like I had to get 500 kills. How horrifying would that be?

Oublieux

There have been numerous times where someone has started shooting me from behind with the carbine but I've managed to turn around and take them out because my free running was making me a harder target to hit.

That free running should just as easily be able to take you out of the smart pistol's lock-on, in my opinion. I consider myself a good smart pistol user, but I have easily been outclassed by carbine users even when chasing them as they are moving effectively all the time. If I'm able to lock-on and kill, the enemy has 100% of the time been following a relatively linear path or is not utilizing parkour enough to enable me doing that.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Plasma Cannon titan kills are going to be rough in LTS with all these wonderful teammates I keep getting matched up with.

Rest of gen 3 seems fine. I like the smg and satchel kills are super easy.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
That free running should just as easily be able to take you out of the smart pistol's lock-on, in my opinion. I consider myself a good smart pistol user, but I have easily been outclassed by carbine users even when chasing them as they are moving effectively all the time. If I'm able to lock-on and kill, the enemy has 100% of the time been following a relatively linear path or is not utilizing parkour enough to enable me doing that.
Had a couple terrible matches using the G2A4 and I thought I'd try out some "easy mode" with the Smart Pistol and enhanced targeting. If you're playing against halfway decent people it's automatic kills in situations that would have been kills anyway, and an outright handicap otherwise. Did notably worse than I do with my shotgun. It is fun to try and use well, but it is nowhere close to an easy out.

Rolls eyes
It's Annoying

Gimmick weapons designed for casual FPS players that at best net them 3-4 kills a game aren't nearly as annoying to me as the two (three, if you're being charitable to the CAR) pilot primaries that make everything else in the game non-viable.

Lunar15

Had a couple terrible matches using the G2A4 and I thought I'd try out some "easy mode" with the Smart Pistol and enhanced targeting. If you're playing against halfway decent people it's automatic kills in situations that would have been kills anyway, and an outright handicap otherwise. Did notably worse than I do with my shotgun. It is fun to try and use well, but it is nowhere close to an easy out.

Honestly, shotgun is the cheaper weapon. It's just so damn good.

Kalm

Plasma Cannon titan kills are going to be rough in LTS with all these wonderful teammates I keep getting matched up with.

Rest of gen 3 seems fine. I like the smg and satchel kills are super easy.

Yup, it's taking me forever -- even with Instant Shot.

The best tactic seems to be sticking with a group, keeping it charged, and ninja'ing the kill once a Titan is almost doomed.

It makes me feel dirty though... :\

wrongway

Is the lag atrocious tonight or is it just me?

Something's weird with the servers tonight. I've been checking the game off and on for the last couple hours and I have pings 3-6 times what's normal. I just hopped back on again a few minutes ago, and the game started out with *everyone* having a triple-digit ping, but less than a minute in it settled back down to almost normal. Got to play at 80ms compared to my usual ~50ms.

Kyzon

YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
I have seen the light!

I've been watching DBZ on Hulu + and I just found out I can keep watching DBZ and play Titanfall at the same time.

Xbox, snap Hulu +

Just thought I'd share that.
Now on to these challenges.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom