• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Titanfall |OT| Titan Online. Signal When Ready.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gaz_RB

So last night it finally hit me... If I want to be competitive in titanfall pc I need to use a kb/mouse.. I been using the wired 360 controller..this sucks.. I really havent used kb/mouse since early tf2 days... it just seems like I have to re-learn or "recalibrate" my fps skills... ADS seems awkward to me with a mouse and using the shift key to sprint has my pinky in an awkward position...

But seeing these kill cams with dudes tracking me like crazy while I'm jumping from wall to wall tells me the controller won't cut it.. Damn you consoles and your comfortable input devices

I've got a 4.7 K/D with a controller. You can be competitive without switching! Stay strong!

Though getting good with a KB/M is not a bad thing if you own a PC.

What scopes/attachments do you guys use for your rifles? I usually stick with the lowest magnification.
The hemlock is not terrible I use it all the time but the problem is the carbine is better in just about all situations. Maybe they could nerf the range of the carbine a bit and give the hemlock a higher fire rate you can't burst it all that fast.

I have put like 4 or 5 bursts into a guy at long range only for him to hose me down with the carbine and win the gun fight. The hemlock is really good if you can consistently hit headshots so it feels rewarding to use.
Ahh, yeah with the Carbine I stopped using as much since it was the first weapon unlocked, so I didn't know it has such crazy accuracy from longer distances. I tend to try the weapons that go unused by most people to see if I can break the image of "this weapon is drastically better than this other."

Etnos

Banned
OK, Gen Challenges are the first real downer about this game for me. I'm having absolute no fun playing with the plasma rail gun, I just don't like it.. the satchel charges also feel like a grind.

I understand the logic behind this progression, but actually forcing me to play with stuff I don't enjoy is sucking the fun out of this game. It may work for some people, not doing it for me.

I would rather get stuck at gen 5 or whatever but keep actually enjoying the game than pursuit the 10th gen, it is a shame really this "punish to progress" systems do suck.

f0nz0

I've got a 4.7 K/D with a controller. You can be competitive without switching! Stay strong!

Though getting good with a KB/M is not a bad thing if you own a PC.

What setting do you have your controller sensitivity on? I switched it to high.. have not tried very high yet..

Here is that weapon chart I saw

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...lRclFMdkNlWU84aDBobFJYelE&usp=drive_web#gid=0

But here is just a cutout
weapon_comparison.png

This shows the hemlock has higher damage per shot even at long range. I guess the real benefit it has over carbine is the ROF and the headshot bonus.

The math on the hemlock's headshot is 105 per shot. So 2hk is the minimum stk for hemlock.

The math on the carbine is 70 per headshot, so 3hk is the minimum stk for the carbine from full hp (200 according to the chart).

The carbine has full auto + slightly larger mag (6-10 shots depending on extended or not) over the hemlock.

I actually think that headshot difference is something of note as well as the faster ROF.

edit:
Also note, 1 burst kill is possible with a single headshot. The upwards recoil should pretty much guarantee that if you aim around the upper chest.

I was incorrect about it having longer range before damage drop off, but still does higher damage even at longer ranges. Mid range is where it should excell over the carbine completely. In my experience with FPS this is generally where a burst rifle is best.

Nori Chan

I am currently 2nd Generation level 31 but I have not been able to play as much as I wanted too.

But my last final is tomorrow and then spring break :)

OK, Gen Challenges are the real first downer about this game for me. I'm having absolute no fun playing with the plasma rail gun, I just don't like it.. the satchel charges also feel like a grind.

I understand the logic behind this progression, but actually forcing me to play with stuff I don't enjoy is sucking the fun out of this game. It may work for some people, not doing it for me.

I would rather get stuck at gen 5 or whatever but keep actually enjoying the game than pursuit the 10th gen, it is a shame really this "punish to progress" systems do suck.

Charge the rail gun and get the last shot on titans and you get the kill. It's kind of a scummy thing to do but it's not hard.The rail gun is basically a Titan sniper sit back and charge it and take people out it does huge amounts of damage. Satchel charges are tons of fun toss them into hard points. I like to rodeo a Titan toss both satchel charges on the brain wait for dude to come out of his Titan and boom.

So last night it finally hit me... If I want to be competitive in titanfall pc I need to use a kb/mouse.. I been using the wired 360 controller..this sucks.. I really havent used kb/mouse since early tf2 days... it just seems like I have to re-learn or "recalibrate" my fps skills... ADS seems awkward to me with a mouse and using the shift key to sprint has my pinky in an awkward position...

But seeing these kill cams with dudes tracking me like crazy while I'm jumping from wall to wall tells me the controller won't cut it.. Damn you consoles and your comfortable input devices

I have a 1.4 K/D for pilots and a MUCH higher K/D for everything else and I've been using a controller. I'd say stick with it until you get better. I also have years of COD experience which really helps with how speedy this game is.

Gaz_RB

What setting do you have your controller sensitivity on? I switched it to high.. have not tried very high yet..

I've got it on Insane haha. Been using a controller with the highest sensitivity since Halo: CE. Rocked that shit in COD 4 to great results as well.

It may help that I'm using and am more comfortable with a DS4, though.

Etnos

Banned
Charge the rail gun and get the last shot on titans and you get the kill. It's kind of a scummy thing to do but it's not hard.The rail gun is basically a Titan sniper sit back and charge it and take people out it does huge amounts of damage. Satchel charges are tons of fun toss them into hard points. I like to rodeo a Titan toss both satchel charges on the brain wait for dude to come out of his Titan and boom.

yeah that is what I'm doing... camping hard points with satchel charges and sniping dudes with the rail gun in LTS but... is no fun.

Satchel charges make you "stay" camping... which is literary the Anti Titanfall experience...

And the plasma rail gun makes me feel I'm making my team lose because... well I'm just leaching kills and I'm useless in the offensive.

As I said is not that I can't do the challenges, is more like the challenges make you do un-fun stuff which is such a non videogame thing to do.

JB1981

Jump on the back of it. If they release smoke jump off and run out of it. Once the smoke starts to dissipate jump back on. If the titan kneels down and you hear the cockpit open jump off, and aim dead ahead. You will see a pilot turning around to shoot you, shoot them first and then jump back on.

Ok will try. Peeps are getting good at jumping out of the cockpit and killing me.

I'm really starting to dislike that titan electric smoke field. Makes rodeoing them very hard to do, and annoying to die against.

Basically, whenever the titan stops moving you can generally expect 1 of 3 things happens.

1. they are getting out of the titan, which should be apparent since the titan kneels down or something

2. they are using electric smoke, which doesn't hurt you immediately as it takes a few seconds before the electricity goes off damaging you

3. they are trying to psyche you out, which actually works quite often in my experience.

So if 1 or 2 happens, just hop off. If they get out you can shoot them. The titan won't attack immediately because of disembark mode. You can generally kill them if you are fast enough jumping off. Or you can hide for a moment til they climb back in.

If they do climb back in, just jump on again and get some shots in. This tactic is almost impossible to deal with if you do it well.

If it is electricity, jump off and clear the smoke. Return after smoke dissipates. It happens pretty fast. Then be prepared for them to disembark because this will probably happen if the smoke fails to kill you.

It is a bit more complicated dealing with experienced titan pilots, but you generally do have the upper hand. Especially since you can throw satchels and explosives at the area they disembark into very easily. Once dead the titan doesn't even try to counter rodeo.

yeah that is what I'm doing... camping hard points with satchel charges and sniping dudes with the rail gun in LTS but... is no fun.

Satchel charges make you "stay" camping... which is literary the Anti Titanfall experience...

And the plasma rail gun makes me feel I'm making my team lose because... well I'm just leaching kills and I'm useless in the offensive.

As I said is not that I can't do the challenges, is more like the challenges make you do un-fun stuff which is such a non videogame thing to do.

Satchel charges do piss me off. Their range is insanely too big and they do really promote camping, especially in Hardpoint.

Gaz_RB

Basically, whenever the titan stops moving you can generally expect 1 of 3 things happens.

1. they are getting out of the titan, which should be apparent since the titan kneels down or something

2. they are using electric smoke, which doesn't hurt you immediately as it takes a few seconds before the electricity goes off damaging you

3. they are trying to psyche you out, which actually works quite often in my experience.

So if 1 or 2 happens, just hop off. If they get out you can shoot them. The titan won't attack immediately because of disembark mode. You can generally kill them if you are fast enough jumping off. Or you can hide for a moment til they climb back in.

If they do climb back in, just jump on again and get some shots in. This tactic is almost impossible to deal with if you do it well.

If it is electricity, jump off and clear the smoke. Return after smoke dissipates. It happens pretty fast. Then be prepared for them to disembark because this will probably happen if the smoke fails to kill you.

It is a bit more complicated dealing with experienced titan pilots, but you generally do have the upper hand. Especially since you can throw satchels and explosives at the area they disembark into very easily. Once dead the titan doesn't even try to counter rodeo.

Option 4. They manually eject before they're doomed and try to shoot you in the air. That's my new go to strat if I have a low health titan and I'm getting boarded.

Don't worry about the challenges then and play the game simply for your enjoyment :]

Karl2177

Option 4. They manually eject before they're doomed and try to shoot you in the air. That's my new go to strat if I have a low health titan and I'm getting boarded.

Option 5: They fire a cluster missile at the wall and back into it. It damages the Titan, but it kills the Rodeo'er. It also works because the animation for the Cluster missile isn't nice to Pilots and sometimes the audio for it doesn't start.

Tracking moving people, even along the ground, is the hardest thing for me and I'm using kb/m. I don't want to be that guy but is there really an appreciable difference between mice that would make this easier?

Etnos

Banned
Hardpoint promotes camping :p It's about holding points.

There is camping to camping thou.. I played a lot of Hardpoint Gen 1 and Gen 2 and truly enjoy it, because I was still traversing/parkouring the Hard point area.

Now with the satchel challenge literary, you need to hide and watch your charge till someone steps in it, which is as I said the Anti-Titanfall experience, no fun.

Funny you should say that, I had to stop playing last night night due to the RSI I've developed from Titanfall. The game is that good I can play for hours and hours without realising. Anyone recommend autorun? I'm thinking it might be the way forward.

I found the same thing. I have lanky hands, and having my pinky constantly on shift is a pain. You should definitely switch to Sprint always on -- there are no drawbacks whatsoever.

I've noticed that some players seem to be able to fire the shotgun faster than I can, and in the kill cam I'm not noticing anything that they are doing specifically. Is there a technique out there that people are using to fire that thing faster?

Longbow is easier out of the 3, but yeah, they are almost worthless for this game. It sucks... I honestly think the Hemlock should at least be more accurate when not zoomed.

My opinion:

Hemlock, G24A and both snipers all need moderate buffs.

All other pilot weapons are fine as is.

Titan Quad Rocket, Plasma Rail & Arc Cannon need slight buffs.

All other Titan weapons are fine as is.

IronRinn

I've noticed that some players seem to be able to fire the shotgun faster than I can, and in the kill cam I'm not noticing anything that they are doing specifically. Is there a technique out there that people are using to fire that thing faster?

Might be using the amped version?

Blu10

There is camping to camping thou.. I played a lot of Hardpoint Gen 1 and Gen 2 and truly enjoy it, because I was still traversing/parkouring the Hard point area.

Now with the satchel challenge literary, you need to hide and watch your charge till someone steps in it, which is as I said the Anti-Titanfall experience, no fun.

Just throw them around the hard point and when you see them getting taken blow them up.

Sean

Banned

If you have Dead Man's trigger kit equipped you can just run into a hardpoint / enemy base and toss them and die, and they'll blow up.

Rom1944

is there a bug with the smart gun that makes grenades autolock some guy locked me with the gun but wasted me with the grenades (i saw it on the killcam) Oo.

is there a bug with the smart gun that makes grenades autolock some guy locked me with the gun but wasted me with the grenades (i saw it on the killcam) Oo.

Not a bug, it's an intended feature. There is a little blurb about it on the loading screens. it warns you not to blow yourself up. :)

yeah I may end up doing that, because I do enjoy the game a lot. It doesn't excuse broken progression system thou.
I dislike most progression systems honestly, and I would love for in-game ranks to return instead of chasing a virtual carrot.

Modern Warfare ruined the first person shooter genre for me (<3 Halo/arena shooters/CS), but at least I'm liking Titanfall because it's not as grounded as CoD.

In what ways do you show up on the enemies radar? Shooting w/o suppressor obviously....

Throwing ordinance?

Having an enemy pilot see you? Shoot at you?

Can grunts spot you?

Label

The Amiga Brotherhood

I get shed loads of kills by dropping them on points and going to the next point and blowing the charges once I notice the original point being capped.

I keep searching for an answer to this and have yet to find it. Is there any way to tell how many people are playing online at a given time? I know there are no leaderboards, but my curiosity is piqued.

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
Is there somewhere I can check the IP addresses of the servers? I want to ping some.

Or will these be hidden? Or can I find out some way?

Edit: Seen the location of the servers on Reddit. Western Europe is based in Dublin, Ireland.

Camping isn't really a particularly good strategy anyway. Any good player will check corners and stuff and/or use the radar pulse thingie to find people camping around the flag or particular areas.

Also, satchels are really good on the move. Don't need to wait til people walk over it since the explosive area is huge and you can explode it faster than a nade or before it even hits the ground. When I am running the flag I typically throw one at my feet and explode it 3-5 seconds later, especially when I know someone is hitting me from behind. It is pretty clutch.

GloveSlap

I get shed loads of kills by dropping them on points and going to the next point and blowing the charges once I notice the original point being capped.

Lol, I do that too. There are a bunch of ways to get Satchel kills on Hardpoint. I use satchels on every mode though. They are so good and they bring back memories of using remote mines in Goldeneye.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom