• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Titanfall |OT| Titan Online. Signal When Ready.

Status
Not open for further replies.
God damnit.

I finally completed the Unlock it All achievement....but at what cost? It's gonna take another 30-40 matches to get my K/D up to what it was before. To hell with snipers and Quad Rockets.

That being said, I finally get to regenerate and use weapons I'm good at again.

Lol, oh man. Saw a smart pistol guy running for me, so I ducked inside the nearest building and dropped a satchel charge in the doorway. A couple seconds later, it blows up and I get a kill. Goober blindly fired at it when his gun locked on to it.

This game.

4l7boMS.gif

Smart Pistol noob. :p Someone tried that one me so instead I move until the satchel was out of the way but he was still visible standing holding the detonator in a corner.

Izuna

Banned
Hmm, any tips for killing with dropping a Titan? I got 0 in a few games. Looks like the 100 wins = ~110 games and it still feels like it will take a while.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Hmm, any tips for killing with dropping a Titan? I got 0 in a few games. Looks like the 100 wins = ~110 games and it still feels like it will take a while.

Try to rodeo when you have a titanfall available, if they dismount aim at the ground and call yours in since the titan kneels down. If they jump back in the animation takes too long for them to get out of the way.

Only somewhat consistent thing I can think of.

Izuna

Banned
Try to rodeo when you have a titanfall available, if they dismount aim at the ground and call yours in since the titan kneels down. If they jump back in the animation takes too long for them to get out of the way.

Only somewhat consistent thing I can think of.

That assumes I can get about 2 per game if I try really hard. Better than nothing I suppose. I will use the quick drop trait but that means I can't find the minions. Ah oh well, it's time off of Titanfall until I get my shit together. Other than that I am also nearly finished with the rest of Gen 8 challenges, not looking forward to Gen 9 though, Smart Pistol, Sniper, BMR...

Kalm

I really wish that the devs and press hadn't hammered the "New to FPS? Farm Grunts!" thing into the masses before launch. There are way too many people playing Attrition that just skirt the perimeter and mop up AI. That's it. That's all they do. It's bad advice.

I can appreciate that these people are trying to help the team but a new player on an AI-focused run will only net about 20-30 AP in Attrition -- the same score an average player might get from a late-night, drunk, "wtf was I doing last round?" game of normal, balanced play.

Killing AI as you come across them is great but they just aren't worth enough to warrant actively seeking them out as a primary strategy for a whole match. A better approach might be to just stick with your teammates. One could argue that the easiest Pilot kills come during/directly after said Pilot has just engaged/killed one of your team members so hanging back in support has merit. An insane number of people still instinctively reload after a kill and even if they don't, they're distracted and likely low on health.

Focus on getting in a Titan as soon as possible and play conservatively. Seek out enemy pilots, run from fights you can't win and stay close to friendly Titans. Strength in numbers is real and two or more Titans in a group can stay up for a really long time, even with zero communication/coordination. Attrition games are usually won/lost based on Titan kills late in the match and, unless there's large skill disparity involved, the team with more Titans grouped together usually wins the day. This is a problem when you have one or two of your teammates constantly off on their own, killing Grunts and having their Titans destroyed far too early and often.

I really don't like telling people how to enjoy the game; if killing AI is your jam, go nuts. I'm just saying that it's not as beneficial to the team as we were led to believe and likely causes natural skill-level progression to stagnate anyway.

TL;DR ~ The only way to get good is to be terrible for a while so leave the poor Grunts alone and join us in the meat-grinder.

Disclaimer:
This post (rant?) has been brought to you via 2+ hours of trying in vain to find (and win) one last, very specific Campaign Attrition match for the achievement. :'(

I really wish that the devs and press hadn't hammered the "New to FPS? Farm Grunts!" thing into the masses before launch. There are way too many people playing Attrition that just skirt the perimeter and mop up AI. That's it. That's all they do. It's bad advice.

I can appreciate that these people are trying to help the team but a new player on an AI-focused run will only net about 20-30 AP in Attrition -- the same score an average player might get from a late-night, drunk, "wtf was I doing last round?" game of normal, balanced play.

Killing AI as you come across them is great but they just aren't worth enough to warrant actively seeking them out as a primary strategy for a whole match. A better approach might be to just stick with your teammates. One could argue that the easiest Pilot kills come during/directly after said Pilot has just engaged/killed one of your team members so hanging back in support has merit. An insane number of people still instinctively reload after a kill and even if they don't, they're distracted and likely low on health.

Focus on getting in a Titan as soon as possible and play conservatively. Seek out enemy pilots, run from fights you can't win and stay close to friendly Titans. Strength in numbers is real and two or more Titans in a group can stay up for a really long time, even with zero communication/coordination. Attrition games are usually won/lost based on Titan kills late in the match and, unless there's large skill disparity involved, the team with more Titans grouped together usually wins the day. This is a problem when you have one or two of your teammates constantly off on their own, killing Grunts and having their Titans destroyed far too early and often.

I really don't like telling people how to enjoy the game; if killing AI is your jam, go nuts. I'm just saying that it's not as beneficial to the team as we were led to believe and likely causes natural skill-level progression to stagnate anyway.

TL;DR ~ The only way to get good is to be terrible for a while so leave the poor Grunts alone and join us in the meat-grinder.

Disclaimer:
This post (rant?) has been brought to you via 2+ hours of trying in vain to find (and win) one last, very specific Campaign Attrition match for the achievement. :'(

I dunno man I've seen people top the leaderboard via farming grunts. It can work if you can position yourself well and always be in the vicinity of them.

Izuna

Banned

Disclaimer:

Invite me, I'll help you out.

Kalm

I dunno man I've seen people top the leaderboard via farming grunts. It can work if you can position yourself well and always be in the vicinity of them.

Yea, I've seen that as well but it's not really the same.

The people hitting 40-50 minion kills and 90+ AP are chaining grunt kills with something like the SP in order to get Titans out as soon as possible. They usually have a pile of Titan/Pilot kills and a 10.0 k/d to go along with it. The high minion count just comes naturally with that play-style.

I think I've only seen one person break 70 AP without a Pilot or Titan kill and that was a .jpg in this thread. Haven't seen anything even close to that while actually playing.

Invite me, I'll help you out.

I appreciate it, mate. I'm done for the night though -- playing Lego Marvel to mellow out :p.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
Yes I am loving the dmr I haven't put it down since I unlocked it. I haven't unlocked the charge rifle yet. What exactly is a critical hit is it only on pilots for that 4th gen challenge?

It means critical hits on titans, since it's an anti titan weapon. When enemy titans expose their red parts on their back, that's what they want you to shoot. Proven to be a little difficult for me.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
The early levels go through so quickly. I'm having a problem with too many Burn Cards though. I wish the deck was just larger, or you could select which ones to throw out before you unlock a pack that tosses out all your rares on the left side of the deck.

Izuna

Banned
Don't forget, you can only shoot the Critical Parts once the shield is down, two Arc Grenades will do the trick. You can do it even if the Titan is already doom, so Auto Titans you can get like 7 hits with an Amped Charge Rifle.

Tabasco

I've been wanting to pick this game up on PC because I think the concept is really cool.

How many hours so far have you guys played this?

Is there some sort of perk that let's you spawn a Titan as soon as the match starts? I've noticed some people spawn Titans here and there where it doesn't seem possible to have been able to get enough kills in such a short amount of time.

I've been wanting to pick this game up on PC because I think the concept is really cool.

Too many.

Is there some sort of perk that let's you spawn a Titan as soon as the match starts? I've noticed some people spawn Titans here and there where it doesn't seem possible to have been able to get enough kills in such a short amount of time.

There are rare burn cards which give you instant stryder / atlas / ogre calls when you use them.

HelloMeow

There are burn cards to call in an Ogre, Atlas or Stryder.

Too late :(

daviyoung

Banned

4 hours, which is the full campaign and a few matches for me. The concept is cool, and when full battles kick off the spectacle is quite sonething.

Warpfall transmitter, it's a perk that was built for this.

Basically makes the titan appear faster at the point you aim at, makes a good bomb.

Izuna

Banned
Warpfall transmitter, it's a perk that was built for this.

Basically makes the titan appear faster at the point you aim at, makes a good bomb.

I do roughly 2 per game by dropping on top of Titans in Pilot Hunter. People tend to abandon them much faster here and I need the 50 Wins for this mode anyway. Looks like I will get Gen 9 before doing College work...

Izuna

Banned
Average game of Pilot Hunter is 13 minutes, assuming I win all of them it will take 17 hours for me to reach Gen 9. Okay then, fuck that.

Man, I wish this game existed while I was in school. We used to have a dorm on our floor that would have someone/anyone playing whatever COD was relevant 24/7. Couldn't get down with that sickness ...but this; my grades would have suffered.

But on the other hand, grateful for the Key & Mouse and the PC now.

The Cowboy

Apparently there is an unlimited burn card glitch. It lets you use any burn card indefinitely. I hope Respawn sees this.
That needs to be patched fast, some burn cards are very powerful and being able to use 3 of them in every match would be crazy.

Hopefully they drop a titan on this glitch ASAP.

Is there much point in going generationed or however you want to put it?

My play time on the game has been severely limited this week due to a messed up HDD and I have crawled to level 48 but cannot be bothered with the challenges.

Is there anything else to be gained other than an icon?

georly

Hey, I dont play titanfall, but my lootcrate came with a code for a free titanfall strategy guide (digital). Does anyone want the code?

Is there much point in going generationed or however you want to put it?

My play time on the game has been severely limited this week due to a messed up HDD and I have crawled to level 48 but cannot be bothered with the challenges.

Is there anything else to be gained other than an icon?

It doesn't sound like something you would want to do. All you get is an icon and an experience bonus to level up slightly faster the next time around.

Kid Ska

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Is there a button you have to press to wall cling? Or is it just holding the direction towards a wall.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom