• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Titanfall |OT| Titan Online. Signal When Ready.

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's wrong with the jump kick? I don't use it often, but it seems to be alright nothing to crazy. In terms of the shotgun, if the nerf it too much it'll be a useless weapon. It's already quite limited in terms of what that pilot can do with it. You guys watch, all of this complaining and it'll be nerfed so badly that it'll just become another weapon no one uses. I don't use it much anymore, but it's still nice to know there is a variety of weapons being utilized.

Secondly, I don't understand why the nerfed the SP in manual mode - it was initially weak.

I've said it a million times, how hard can it be to implement a system where games joined in progress doing count for wins/losses. IF we had that, no one would complain. Otherwise it's disingenuous to keep track of stats and the guys that play solo have to endure a JIP every other game.

If you dont see the problem with a KICK causing instant death then, well...errrr...;) To make matters worse, the way the jump kick works a player can often cover the length of a room almost instantly bc of how the animation works...which means that u can often unload half a clip into someone but they kill you instead. With a fucking kick. Yes, its a game. No I dont expect this to be a military simulator. But thats just beyond stupid that a kick is more deadly than several bullets.

The shotty is simply too powerful beyond point blank range. It needs to be slightly nerfed with a wider spread as the range to target increases. This is how shot guns work in real life. 5-10 feet away a shotgun will tear someone in half. But generally you cant kill someone with a real shotgun who is 30 feet away with one shot. Not gonna happen.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
But generally you cant kill someone with a real shotgun who is 30 feet away with one shot. Not gonna happen.
I can't do that with one shot in this game either, but I'm not using leadwall I guess...

Turned my Sensitivity up to Very High with the 360 pad... immediately doing much better :eek:

The Cowboy

If you dont see the problem with a KICK causing instant death then, well...errrr...;) To make matters worse, the way the jump kick works a player can often cover the length of a room almost instantly bc of how the animation works...which means that u can often unload half a clip into someone but they kill you instead.
This really, the range on the kick is just to much and the fact from that range it can 1 hit hill is just not right, its just silly that (for example) you can put a whole burst of the hemlock into a pilot, for them to leap across and kick you once to kill you.

The Cowboy

From a few pages ago:
... So nothing other than they're being worked on.
Neat, hopefully it won't take to long (much like performance fixes - on both platforms). I just had a match that was dam silly (I freely admit, one I quit out of due to this). It started at 5 v 3 (me in the 3), as soon as the game got going (hard point) 1 of the other team left making it 4 v 3, seconds later a new player joined making it 5 v 3, then around 15 seconds later another joined making it 6 v 3 - I gave It about a minute in the hope we would get 3 more player, nope - so I quit
-
Also as said earlier in the thread, as predicted the defence nerf is as bad as I thought it would be, defence points are really low now and bordering on complexly pointless to have in the game (they may as well remove defence from the scoreboard and have attacking only If they keep it like this).

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I really suck with Satchel Charges. Having a hard time boosting No-Hitter for Gen 3. =/

Feel naked without my Arc Grenades.

Stand on flag.

Satchel Charge every entrance.

Deadman's trigger.

Should work.

They really need to fix the tearing and frame drops before increasing the resolution. I personally think it's one or the other, not both. I played Ghosts (360) today and it made me appreciate just how pleasing to the eye and the feeling that a locked 60fps adds to the experience. That 1024x600 resolution on the other hand....

HelloMeow

I don't see any issue with it, just keep moving and it's hard to get hit.

ibnDvOn9Lmwwqj.gif

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
This game is full of these crazy ass moments that never end. Did the pilot that was on your titan die after you ejected??

Yeah, I am thinking that after he doomed me, he jumped off instead of flying with me on the eject. Still pretty funny.

Potential, but yeah, this game got frustrating real quick. Shotties, auto-aim death kicks and no server balancing. You would think these things would be easy to fix, so we'll see where they take it I guess....

Woo-Fu

Banned
Ran into a ping-exploiting team today, was kind of annoying. You'd shoot any of them 5-6 times, they'd take no damage, then you would die instantly with no sound of bullets or anything. All of them were 150+ ping.

What is it with modern games and netcode that makes you feel like you got robbed on a regular basis? Hundreds of hours with q2/q3 mods, cs, etc., none of this junk.

Izuna

Banned

Alright stop this. This is a latency issue, the kill cam is not showing what the player on the other screen saw, in his game the guy wasn't airborne and he kicked him, the server just killed the player because at least on his screen he got the kill first. I see this all the time when trying to run in front of a Titan when its reloading only for me to die by shots that never went near me, and this only happens when I play on US servers.

If you nerf the jump to not OHKO it will be useless, and if you make it's hitbox worse according to this gif then it would be very useless. Upload a clip of killing a grunt like that and then there's a reason, but that's not possible.

It's sad for me that Attrition has become the standard mode for this game, since I hate it. Just spent the last 10 mins trying to cue for a CTF/LTS game with no success. Might be time to put the game away since most of the Aussie servers are just dominated with Attrition games.

H1PSTER

Loving the SMG and the Stryder titan.

Nothing feels better then calling your Stryder and taking out an Ogre or two.

The electric fog is a god-send, they can't see/target you after you deploy it so you can either run away or shoot them through the fog.

The Cowboy

Stuff: (edited for space).
Its not just a latency issue (though bad latency makes it even worse), the jump kick has to much range and to much damage due to that range. Nerfing its damage would only make it useless if they simply nerfed the damage and nothing more, they need to change how it works if they keep the range as it is..
-
As suggested already, the kick needs to work as a lesser damage/knockback attack with its current range, then if you get in proper melee range you do a proper one hit kill melee attack - using the knife (it would be nice to kill with it).

Woo-Fu

Banned
I think the jumpkick should do just as much damage to a pilot as the regular punch does to a titan. Don't see any reason it should be a 1-hit KO when the equivalent Titan attack isn't.

The lock-on is required to cover up the aggressive latency compensation that is going on, otherwise it wouldn't even connect most of the time because neither of you are where you think you are in the eyes of the other player.

Alright stop this. This is a latency issue, the kill cam is not showing what the player on the other screen saw, in his game the guy wasn't airborne and he kicked him, the server just killed the player because at least on his screen he got the kill first. I see this all the time when trying to run in front of a Titan when its reloading only for me to die by shots that never went near me, and this only happens when I play on US servers.

If you nerf the jump to not OHKO it will be useless, and if you make it's hitbox worse according to this gif then it would be very useless. Upload a clip of killing a grunt like that and then there's a reason, but that's not possible.

I agree with you but at the same time, I'm okay with it.

I think it's fine if a melee attack from the front gets trumped by a firearm. Executions from the back are fine but panic knifing in CoD and jumpkicks in this game aren't fun for anyone. Regardless of balance, there's no design reason why a frontal melee attack should do anything to someone firing a gun at you. It's not fun to die to and it's not fun to use. So make it useless, nothing is lost.

Melee in the BF games works like this as far as I know. If you don't get an assasination then you generally get killed. I think this works better than "I happened to hit my melee button before you could kill me" which is what the jumpkick is. The thing has a huge hitbox and honestly I think it has some sort of homing capability as when I've used it I've noticed the camera tracking my target without input, but maybe thats just subconcious or something.

Is it imbalanced? Maybe not. But is it fun? I don't think so, on either the receiving or the kicking end. It just makes close quarters combat feel completely random, either their kick seems to go through me or I die to it instantly.

statham

I also killed myself twice today with my own hand grenade, maybe I killed some comrades too. I didn't know it could hurt yourself. or friendlies. I threw a grenade and ran into the room. :(

The shotgun and kick are fine the way they are. Everytime I have died by them is because I messed up.

I will say that the electric smoke does seem very strong. It might be that it has so much more uses to me than the particle shield and vortex.

Make the particle shield stronger or have it stay on your titan.

Make the vortex work like a homing weapon but the player can't evade it fully.

Also (not sure if it does this already I don't use it and I'm not at home to check) make the vortex work like the armor lock in halo reach. Once you press vortex your shield doesn't recharge and once you shot it back it takes away alot from the cooldown.

Izuna

Banned
Its not just a latency issue (though bad latency makes it even worse), the jump kick has to much range and to much damage due to that range. Nerfing its damage would only make it useless if they simply nerfed the damage and nothing more, they need to change how it works if they keep the range as it is..
-
As suggested already, the kick needs to work as a lesser damage/knockback attack with its current range, then if you get in proper melee range you do a proper one hit kill melee attack - using the knife (it would be nice to kill with it).

What? Do you know how rare it is to get a jump kick on someone? Most of the time you kick someone when you get a drop on them and you don't want to make noise (show up on the map), or if someone is hunting you down because you made noise and stupidly ran into you. Also as much as I don't like Snipers, it would be horrible if you had no way of killing anyone close range that wasn't a no scope. The range is also not as good as you make it out to be, it is mostly latency that causes it to feel elastic, but it really isn't, there are many times someone is a few steps in front of me and I kill them with a CAR before they can get close enough (CAR is kinda OP imo).

The only thing you could do to nerf it (nerfing damage is fucking stupid and I can't believe you are suggesting that) -- again, the only thing to nerf is the start-up time. You could make it take longer to come out which is the only nerf I would accept, but even then it wouldn't change what it's mostly useful for... killing silently.

The Cowboy

I think the jumpkick should do just as much damage to a pilot as the regular punch does to a titan. Don't see any reason it should be a 1-hit KO when the equivalent Titan attack isn't. .
This is what I think, It should work just like a titans punch: it does some damage and has a knockback to push your enemy away, they should make the jump kick work the same way. We can still have point blank OHK melee attack, but when at kicking range it should act like a titan punch,
-
izunadono - I very clearly stated that I think a close range attack should one hit kill (for your snipers etc), I just think with the kicks current range it should be adjusted in 1 of 2 ways,

Keep the range as is and adjust the damage and add a knockback.

Keep the damage and one hit kill and lover the range a bit.

Izuna

Banned
This is what I think, It should work just like a titans punch: it does some damage and has a knockback to push your enemy away, they should make the jump kick work the same way.

We can still have point blank OHK melee attack, but when at kicking range it should act like a titan punch,

I really don't understand this at all... Pushback? So basically you want it to be completely useless and do less damage than a side-arm whilst having horrible range?

EDIT Reply: I hope you understand that if the kick didn't OHKO it would be useless, no matter what. You're saying someone would use it at its current max range to knockback? You can shoot from the hit with an Autopistol at that range and kill about the same time it takes for a kick to become active, You want the kick to have no utility and only have assassinations instead. May as well not even have a jumpkick. This isn't Halo, Pilots die mere moments after being shot at.

The Cowboy

I really don't understand this at all... Pushback? So basically you want it to be completely useless and do less damage than a side-arm whilst having horrible range?
At kicking range you hit for lower damage and knock the enemy away from you - putting them off guard/disrupting them. At closer than kicking range you one hit melee attack.

I think I explained what I wanted quite clearly and I think my suggestion would make it far from useless.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
I really suck with Satchel Charges. Having a hard time boosting No-Hitter for Gen 3. =/

Yeah, I'm on the third phase of the challenge. Satchel Charges are okay to use, but they are situational and I'm not a fan of using them to get that challenge right away. The thing is that I want to try to get it before I hit 50 on Gen 3 so I won't waste potential experience. I probably won't complete all the challenges by then.

Also, on the plus side, I got the Pull Harder! achievement since I had to use the Plasma Railgun and I figured I may as well try to kill two birds with one stone. It was hard to get, so it felt very satisfying.

Why do you think a frontal melee attack needs to be good? Do you think it makes the game more fun? To me, something like this should be a last resort, to finish someone off at close range if your ammo is dry. I think the game would be more fun if the kick was useless. Balance doesnt matter much if the thing your balancing just makes the game less fun.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Side-arms are currently marginalized by the kick actually, so nerfing it would make more sense.

HelloMeow

Alright stop this. This is a latency issue, the kill cam is not showing what the player on the other screen saw, in his game the guy wasn't airborne and he kicked him, the server just killed the player because at least on his screen he got the kill first.

No, you stop. Here's another:
iiMstNcuSkXWG.gif

here's the pings:
FaYcsq5.png

So saying it's a latency issue is crazy. I have been killed like that plenty of times. It's because of the lock-on and ridiculous range.

Izuna

Banned
At kicking range you hit for lower damage and knock the enemy away from you - putting them off guard/disrupting them. At closer than kicking range you one hit melee attack.

I think I explained what I wanted quite clearly,

Oh I understand perfectly, and I'm saying it makes no sense. People die in this game in moments by every damn weapon, no one would use it to "disrupt" or knockback, it makes absolutely no sense. Would I be able to shot during knockback? Right so then you're dead because the kick has recovery time and I can kill you before you and start shooting again.

I don't like doing this but look at this video as an example how I currently use the kick 50% of the time http://1drv.ms/1joh9LQ -- I only kick in Angel City (few moments in). I only managed to kick someone because at the last second I reacted but my ammo was low. If he wasn't an idiot where would be no way I could get that close to him. If it would cause a knockback it would have been worse than switching to my sidearm but even then there would be no way to win the firefight. The kick gives you the ability to take out someone who didn't have the ability to aim down their sight on you into the final moments.

Also remember, with the CAR SMG, Shotgun, Wingman etc. You will never be killed by someone running at you, if that happens then your aim is terrible, and even then they would have killed you faster shooting from the hip.

iiMstNcuSkXWG.gif

here's the pings:
FaYcsq5.png

So saying it's a latency issue is crazy. I have been killed like that plenty of times. It's because of the lock-on and ridiculous range.

As I said, try to pull this off on a Grunt or actually try to pull this off on someone else. You only see clips like these on killcams or when someone attacks you because on his screen that's not where you are. The kick does not have that sort of range at all.

Respawn will fix this by sorting out how the server calculates the hit-detection, making it more accurate etc. Not by nerfing the range on the kick. The kick isn't the issue here, and it's not the only thing that causes something like this.

Lima

It's like the fucking lunge in COD with the knife. Shit like this shouldn't even be in the game.

The Cowboy

Oh I understand perfectly. - Rest edited out for space.
I think we'll just have to disagree with each other, I think the jump kick has to much range for its current damage. I would prefer it keep the damage and be shorter ranged (I would love a proper knife melee kill TBH - seems silly to carry a knife and instead kick people) or keep the range and lower the damage (with a knockback to make up for the lesser damage).

I'm glad your happy with it as it, I'm not - I find it pretty overpowered in its current setup and don't like using it due to it feeling pretty cheap.

Izuna

Banned
I think we'll just have to disagree with each other, I think the jump kick has to much range for its current damage. I would prefer it keep the damage and be shorter ranged or keep the range and lower the damage.

I'm glad your happy with it as it, I'm not - I find it pretty overpowered in its current setup.

Sure, but honestly, check the kicks range out yourself on some AI. It looks very long when these hit-detection issues happen, but the actual range isn't really that much. If this game were offline these gifs would be impossible. Respawn knows this and nerfing the kick will never happen. If you could see two people's Titanfall screens side-by-side in a fight like that you would see some horrible shit.

The Cowboy

Sure, but honestly, check the kicks range out yourself on some AI. It looks very long when these hit-detection issues happen, but the actual range isn't really that much..
I have, and I find it to long (I kick the AI a lot - they are easy to get close to after all), I just don't think we should be able to one hit kill from the distance its currently set to (Its not as bad as some make out, but for me its just a bit to much).

Fantasmo

why?! why does this game not have open mic chat? And why does origin not have private or group mic chat? and why do I have to go on Steam or another service to do group voice chat? Push to talk is my only option? And nothing with a controller? How does that make any sense in a fast paced game like this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom