• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Titanfall |OT| Titan Online. Signal When Ready.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roflobear

Just got to Gen 3. Hope the regen requirements won't be so bad!

Also to add onto the slammer attachment for the spitfire LMG, that thing can outright kill a Titan with full health with just one magazine. Pretty nuts, I think that might be my favorite weapon

EDIT: Damnit, I have to use the Plasma Railgun?

Cereal

Just want to take a moment to say fuck the Plasma Rail Gun. That thing is garbage. Never thought I'd finish that challenge. Maddening

Montresor

I'm so glad i finally got the "unlock all hardware" achievement. It took awhile stuck at level 50 trying to get the the required titan kills with each titan weapon. That allowed me to comfortably move over to generation 2. Now I pretty much have every achievement i plan on getting, minus wins for each mode and the 500 burn cards.

Instead of grinding for those wins Ill just let them "happen" as the dlc comes out. I hope the dlc doesn't have anything too ridiculous for achievements.

I have a problem. I love this game, the concept is awesome, the game play is decent but I completely suck at FPS games. If I kill one pilot it is a miracle. The other thing is in pub games there isn't any chatter (at least with me) so I have no idea where we are going half the time or what the plan is. The last CTF I played was so bad that the other team all had titans like 20 sec into the game they capture our flag and just held it near their base and just picked off our team. They could have run the numbers on us but only scored in the second round in the last 5 seconds.

Anyone willing to take on a pure scrub and show him the ropes?

I have a problem. I love this game, the concept is awesome, the game play is decent but I completely suck at FPS games. If I kill one pilot it is a miracle. The other thing is in pub games there isn't any chatter (at least with me) so I have no idea where we are going half the time or what the plan is. The last CTF I played was so bad that the other team all had titans like 20 sec into the game they capture our flag and just held it near their base and just picked off our team. They could have run the numbers on us but only scored in the second round in the last 5 seconds.

Anyone willing to take on a pure scrub and show him the ropes?

Tbf that's probably burn card related (i.e. they probably used a burn card that either reduced their Titan cooldown or outright gave them a Titan at the start of the game).

Tbf that's probably burn card related (i.e. they probably used a burn card that either reduced their Titan cooldown or outright gave them a Titan at the start of the game).

Oh yeah, I know it's burn card related but to see all of them titan'ed up before we hit the mid point was crazy. I never really stood a chance.

I played hardpoint for the first time last night since the changes and you really don't get much for defending a point. I spent a lot of the match working my a** off at point B on the training ground map without much reward.

I think that the points rewarded for defending should, perhaps, be linked to:

• Time spent there: the frequency of points rewarded increases the longer you are there
  • Pilots killed: a multiplier is attached to every pilot you kill whilst defending a point

I can understand how points could to be accrued without much happening (e.g. a point not being attacked) but it seems unfair if you stay and defend a point where there is a lot of enemy activity.

Edit: I also agree about the jump kick being nerfed. It is way too powerful in that you can unload bullets into a pilot, they kick you and death to you. I am not sure if it has been a latency issue in the instances where this has happened to me but it feels unfair. The kill cam also shows how far the foot can be from you when they do kill you.

The GAF member The Cowboy has said everything I agree with in this regard so I won't add any more!

This is the only kind of game I've been able to get into in recent days. Despite my best efforts, I never win a game because I always get matched with the worst teammates. It's becoming not fun.

04GONSA.png

ElRenoRaven

ROFLMAO. I just had my first person call me a hacker. HAHAHAHA.

Some moron was like why can't I lock onto your titan that last match hmmm? I thanked him for the compliment of calling me a hacker. He was like that wasn't a compliment you hacker fuck. I think they were pissed cause they'd just stand around and let me chaingun them. Then one kept trying to use the laser thing to take me out but I'd duck behind a building.

It was cool though. That was my best game ever so far. I doubt I could ever replicate how well I played in it.

bigace33

I like this game a lot even though I get slaughtered as far as kill death ratio. I still finish around 3rd to first on my team though. Play mostly hard point and work my tail off to capture the points more so than get kills. This mode brings back fond memories of UT2004 and onslaught mode. There is a lot of fun to be had with this game even if you are inexperienced. I'm satisfied with the $49.99 I paid for it.

This game needs a mode with rebalancing between rounds.

Nothing like being the highest ranked guy on the team (at only 13, I've only played a couple hours) against 6 people who are all gen 2+, up to one gen 5.

This game needs a mode with rebalancing between rounds.

Nothing like being the highest ranked guy on the team (at only 13, I've only played a couple hours) against 6 people who are all gen 2+, up to one gen 5.

Working as intended ;)
I agree though. Atm if I see what looks like an unbalanced lobby I just bail ASAP.

The Cowboy

Had a couple of great games last night (I switched back to the Carbine - I'll miss you Hemlock), its so much fun to top the score board with pilot kills and points (in hard point) while using a pad :D

And just unlocked the quad rockets single shot rapid fire mode (I'm unlocking all weapon mods on each weapon), man is that a beast and so much fun.

Working as intended ;)
I agree though. Atm if I see what looks like an unbalanced lobby I just bail ASAP.

I don't know why this is viewed as the norm in these type of games.

I get that rebalancing is hard. But even a pure randomizer will get it right some of the time, and at least half the time you'll be on the dominating side (unless you personally really are THAT bad).

And people who don't want to play that mode don't have to.

antitrop

The Plasma Railgun is extremely legit once you get the Instant Shot upgrade for it. Until then, it sucks. Once I unlocked that, I boosted through the Regen Challenge pretty easily.

ElRenoRaven

I don't know why this is viewed as the norm in these type of games.

I get that rebalancing is hard. But even a pure randomizer will get it right some of the time, and at least half the time you'll be on the dominating side (unless you personally really are THAT bad).

And people who don't want to play that mode don't have to.

Yup. Just something as simple as randomizing the teams would be welcome as hell.

The Cowboy

Anyone else think that some factory modes needs adjusting, so that it isn't always worth taking a mod over it?

For example the Carbine, there is no reason to have the factory mode once you unlock extended mag (or any weapon with an extended mag for that matter), you loose nothing and gain extra ammo. The Smart pistol is another example once you unlock enhanced targeting, there is no point in keeping factory mode over enhanced targeting as you have all of the benefits of factory mode along with a quicker lock time.

I would like it if the factory mode was worth taking over some of the unlocked mods (to have more choice), silencers for example are perfect right now as they reduce damage so you choose more damage (factory) over stealth (silencer), yet with the extended mag for its same everything (factory) over more ammo and the same everything (extended mag). Shouldn't every mod (not just some mods) have an advantage over the factory mode, but also come with a disadvantage over the factory mode to compensate?.
-
Like extended mag should perhaps lower accuracy a bit, so factory mode is more accurate - but extended mag is a touch (not much) less accurate but has more ammo?. And enhanced targeting should reduce hip fire accuracy a bit, so factory mode is more accurate with hip firing - but enhanced targeting locks on quicker and is less accurate hip firing.

Anyone else think that some factory modes needs adjusting, so that it isn't always worth taking a mod over it?

For example the Carbine, there is no reason to have the factory mode once you unlock extended mag (or any weapon with an extended mag for that matter), you loose nothing and gain extra ammo. The Smart pistol is another example once you unlock enhanced targeting, there is no point in keeping factory mode over enhanced targeting as you have all of the benefits of factory mode along with a quicker lock time.

I would like it if the factory mode was worth taking over some of the unlocked mods (to have more choice), silencers for example are perfect right now as they reduce damage so you choose more damage (factory) over stealth (silencer), yet with the extended mag for its same everything (factory) over more ammo and the same everything (extended mag). Shouldn't every mod (not just some mods) have an advantage over the factory mode, but also come with a disadvantage over the factory mode to compensate?.
-
Like extended mag should perhaps lower accuracy a bit, so factory mode is more accurate - but extended mag is a touch (not much) less accurate but has more ammo?. And enhanced targeting should reduce hip fire accuracy a bit, so factory mode is more accurate with hip firing - but enhanced targeting locks on quicker and is less accurate hip firing.

The enhanced targeting mode on the smart pistol does reduce the lock on window size. It says so in the description.

But extended mag reducing accuracy? Eh... sounds like a bad trade off and a poor result overall to have less accuracy. But slightly longer reload time sounds fair and makes sense since you are attaching a larger mag.

Wiseguy

Banned
Wow, after reading through all of the impressions I'm glad I returned this game.

I bought the game at launch and kept it shrink wrapped because my gut feeling was telling me I would probably get frustrated with it after a week. I know it's a fun game from playing the beta but I didn't want to ride the hype train to disappointment.

I'll probably pick it up later when they balance everything out.

Wow, after reading through all of the impressions I'm glad I returned this game.

I bought the game at launch and kept it shrink wrapped because my gut feeling was telling me I would probably get frustrated with it after a week. I know it's a fun game from playing the beta but I didn't want to ride the hype train to disappointment.

I'll probably pick it up later when they balance everything out.

The weapons, titan v. pilot stuff, everything from a gameplay perspective is pretty well balanced already.

Roflobear

The Plasma Railgun is extremely legit once you get the Instant Shot upgrade for it. Until then, it sucks. Once I unlocked that, I boosted through the Regen Challenge pretty easily.

Good to know. You get it after like 10 Titan kills right?

-

Nah because it gives you an incentive to do the challenges and unlock the attachments.

Wiseguy

Banned
The weapons, titan v. pilot stuff, everything from a gameplay perspective is pretty well balanced already.

Yes, I'm sure overall it's fine in many gameplay aspects but matchmaking seems to need some work and that can really make the experience frustrating. I don't want to get put on a team with beginning players against gen 3-4-5, etc... Also what's up with jumpkicks, the shotgun and bullet lag?

Fun game, flawed online.

And when it's an online only game... flawed is not fun to me.

The Cowboy

The enhanced targeting mode on the smart pistol does reduce the lock on window size. It says so in the description.

But extended mag reducing accuracy? Eh... sounds like a bad trade off and a poor result overall to have less accuracy. But slightly longer reload time sounds fair and makes sense since you are attaching a larger mag.
Ahh your right on the enhanced targeting (last time I read it was release so forgot about the last part of the description), so it does have a negative in taking it over factory mode - my bad.

As for increased reload time increase on extended mag instead of less accuracy, that actually sounds better and would kinda make sense.
Nah because it gives you an incentive to do the challenges and unlock the attachments.
You would still have the incentive, I'm suggesting that each mod has a positive effect and to compensate has a negative effect over factory mode (so all modes are worth choosing including factory mode). Most mods already do this (have a + and a -), but some mods don't (they only have a +) and its just a case of using factory mode until you get to it, as once you do there is no point in using factory mode anymore - extended mag is one of these mods, it has only a positive and no negative, so its a case of using factory mode until you unlock it, because it has all the stats of factory mode but with more bullets.

Take the Carbine for example, it has 3 modes - factory, suppressor and extended mag,

The Suppressor lowers damage over factory mode but the weapon makes it so you don't appear on the map and you make less noise, so you choose between more damage/noise (factory) and stealth (suppressor). The extended mag is the same as factory mode expect with more ammo in the clip, with this mode you don't choose anything (you get the factory mode base weapon but with more bullets) - so you only use factory until you unlock it, after that, there is no point in ever using factory mode.

Mrbob

After playing a few hours of Hardpoint today, I feel like the nerf would have been better at 50 points instead of 25.

Yeah, I don't get it. What's the point of hardpoint mode if you aren't properly rewarded for defending. The mode is capture and hold. Not capture and run away.

Hitting a titan's red weak spot with a fully charged Plasma Railgun shot will almost always doom it outright.

man just play a game where I was able to kill 5 pilot in the beginning of the match by just jumpkicking them.
Also hope they add some type of search and destroy mode.

This is the only kind of game I've been able to get into in recent days. Despite my best efforts, I never win a game because I always get matched with the worst teammates. It's becoming not fun.

Band of Brothers on this board. haha

If they had a "First overall, top 2 offense, top 2 defense, most kills, lowest deaths.... but team still loses it's hardpoint match by over 150" leaderboard, I can't imagine that the name "TheApatheticOne" would be out of the top 20. It does get frustrating when it seems like the only time you grab a point is when YOU grab a point, and same for defending.

All in all, I love the game, and can't imagine playing any other of the big FPS's right now. It has it's faults, needs some tweaks (like defending a hardpoint being boosted to +50, +75 was too high, but +25 is too low), but all in all..... it's still incredibly fun to play.

The Cowboy

Nah, they're not. I figured they would add some hackable Consoles in a patch.
Isn't that turret for whoever controls the point under it in Fracture? (when playing hardpoint). When I tried to hack it before I was wondering why the control panel was missing, then I noticed the turret is set to whoever controls the point in that area (at least I think it was).

Wow the burst mode on 40mm canon really is God-tier, especially if you zoom in and manage to get a hit with all three canons. Took down a Stryder without even reloading it.

antitrop

Isn't that turret for whoever controls the point under it in Fracture? (when playing hardpoint). When I tried to hack it before I was wondering why the control panel was missing, then I noticed the turret is set to whoever controls the point in that area.

Good catch, I never noticed that myself.

Hitting a titan's red weak spot with a fully charged Plasma Railgun shot will almost always doom it outright.

Great shot, kid! That was one in a million!

It's been awhile since I've played it so I don't remember everything, but anyone else think mixing a little Chromehounds in regards to the online system it had (persistent world map, factions fighting over territory, etc) would be pretty awesome for Titanfall 2? I think that kind of system would lend itself pretty well to this game.

Yes, I'm sure overall it's fine in many gameplay aspects but matchmaking seems to need some work and that can really make the experience frustrating. I don't want to get put on a team with beginning players against gen 3-4-5, etc... Also what's up with jumpkicks, the shotgun and bullet lag?

Fun game, flawed online.

And when it's an online only game... flawed is not fun to me.

What is wrong with the kicks and shotgun? They both seem to be fine to me. I play on PC though so I cannot comment on console. Unless you're within close proximity, the shotgun has a longer ttk than pretty much every other weapon in the game. If it takes 2-3 shots to kill someone with the shotgun, that other player had ample time to win out and pretty much every other gun would have killed them faster.

I'm not experiencing much bullet lag... none really. If people are it could be an unstable connection with packet loss. Even 1% packet loss is a lot.

The thing about guys who just sit in one spot... it is pretty easy to take them out with a nade or using practical corner checking etc. And on top of that you have that radar pulse/wall hack ability to find them ahead of time.

Roflobear

There's also something more annoying about being killed by a guy sitting in a corner with his reticle up than someone moving around and patrolling the point. Yea I know they're essentially accomplishing the same goal but I can't help but get annoyed by one and not the other

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom