• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Titanfall |OT| Titan Online. Signal When Ready.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Woo-Fu

Banned
that realy neatly tells how fucked the matchmaking is

Actually it probably has more to say about how many people joined the other team, looked at the stacked team and then left the room.

Matchmaking can't do anything about super-stacks.

I saw a 400 to 23 game of Hardpoint last night and our stack wasn't even that huge.

HelloMeow

Sure, but honestly, check the kicks range out yourself on some AI. It looks very long when these hit-detection issues happen, but the actual range isn't really that much. If this game were offline these gifs would be impossible. Respawn knows this and nerfing the kick will never happen. If you could see two people's Titanfall screens side-by-side in a fight like that you would see some horrible shit.

I know what it's range is and I'm saying it's too big. Especially combined with the lock-on.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Except rebalancing the teams before the match starts.

You can't rebalance teams without splitting up parties which is never ever going to happen. We're talking pre-mades vs. pubs.

The only way you fix that is by making another queue and segregating the pre-mades from the pubs. MWO did it. Titanfall will have to do it too. Sounds like mercenaries in CoD is the same deal.

Woo-Fu

Banned
It can still be done for those not in a party and there are several multiplayer games out there that match you against other pre-made parties.

And that isn't rebalancing. :)

What is interesting is there aren't even enough players on a Saturday night for me to find a match in certain modes, at least in a reasonable time frame. That will mess up any matchmaking system.

You can't rebalance teams without splitting up parties which is never ever going to happen. We're talking pre-mades vs. pubs.

The only way you fix that is by making another queue and segregating the pre-mades from the pubs. MWO did it. Titanfall will have to do it too. Sounds like mercenaries in CoD is the same deal.

They gotta do something because there are extremely few competitive matches going on right now. It's all either big wins or big losses.

Woo-Fu

Banned
They gotta do something because there are extremely few competitive matches going on right now. It's all either big wins or big losses.

I'm fairly comfortable assuming all sorts of stuff like this is in the pipeline. It just didn't make the release window. When private lobbies didn't even make it into the game you know they were either a) pressed for time, b) intentionally staging stuff like that for post-release content, or c) both.

All of that stuff has to show up before the backlash gets too big and I think it will. EA, Microsoft, and Respawn banking on this, after all.

jediyoshi

Balancing implies it has to take skill into account at all. The way it's been going, a simple scramble would be an infinitely more ideal situation, even while keeping parties together.

tauke

Anyone here sometimes get this animation bug where I'm trying to eject when in doom state but the enemy titan get to perform termination?

Not sure if lag problem but happens to me frequently after the latest patch.

Lima

Anyone here sometimes get this animation bug where I'm trying to eject when in doom state but the enemy titan get to perform termination?

Huh? You can't eject during the execution.

That is not a bug unless you meant something else.

tauke

I am thinking about picking this up next month, how is the game for new people coming in against high-level players?

I guess you just have to play along with them lol. Just remember that to level up faster, it is best to farm the AI grunts to help unlock the challenges.

Although I recommend playing the campaign first to unlock the Stryder and Ogre chassis which helps a lot in future match.

Huh? You can't eject during the execution.

That is not a bug unless you meant something else.

The problem is while I'm ejecting which the enemy titan is still far from me, somehow your animation of ejecting stays still instead of ejecting to the sky and suddenly I just got terminated (from the killcam view, they managed to dash and melee me). The ping for both of us that time is around 50ms so it can't be latency issue...

I am thinking about picking this up next month, how is the game for new people coming in against high-level players?

Just played for the first time tonight. Matching sucked because I got thrown on a team of noobs going up against level 50-60s. Also I couldn't tell who was a bot or a person. Still had a lot of fun. But we got creamed. I liked the boneyard map. So far I only have played attrition. Looking forward to playing more of this. What is the best way to learn and explore the maps?

Roflobear

Just played for the first time tonight. Matching sucked because I got thrown on a team of noobs going up against level 50-60s. Also I couldn't tell who was a bot or a person. Still had a lot of fun. But we got creamed. I liked the boneyard map. So far I only have played attrition. Looking forward to playing more of this. What is the best way to learn and explore the maps?

I think after a while you'll get good at differentiating between grunts and pilots, especially if they're female or jet packing or whatever

tauke

I recommend Hardpoint as it forces you to learn the quickest route from all 3 capture points. Also make sure to wallrun a lot as it is much faster than running on the ground.

The window (in terms of both time and distance) for getting the execution seems huge to me, yeah.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Is it female? Shoot it.
Is it jumping any direction other than straight up? Shoot it.
Is it running straight at you? Shoot it.
Is it running faster than you are? Shoot it.
Is it wallhanging? Shoot it.
Is it in a corner? Shoot it.
Is it using shotgun, smart pistol, or sniper rifle? Shoot it.
Is it on the back of a titan? Shoot it.
Is it by itself? Shoot it.
Is it using munitions? Shoot it.
Are you playing Attrition? Shoot it.

The minions have horrid AI and a very small set of actions, makes it pretty obvious who is and isn't a pilot once you have a few hours of experience.

Rockyrock

that realy neatly tells how fucked the matchmaking is

Its REALLY bad. So bad one of my friends has already quit and im on the verge of quitting because there is literally no challenge what so ever. Rattling off 98 straight wins like its nothing.

Amazing how devs can claim there's "skilled" based MM and keep a straight face these days.

Roflobear

Use Minion Detector. I've really never had a problem differentiating since the very start of the game.

I've actually never used that. It doesn't clutter up the map or anything?

Also just used the slammer on the spitfire LMG and oh man does that do work on a Titan you've rodeod. Pretty sure it was doomed from full health before a single clip was even close to being emptied

Roflobear

Also for any beginners getting stuck in levels 40-50, definitely complete challenges for lots of different weapons. It's a good way to get the grind over quicker at those levels

I.e. Get out of your comfort zone now and then

njean777

Weird that they nerfed the SP, I would say the kick and titan melee need to be fixed. Sometimes when I am literally in front of a titan and melee it doesn't hit at all. It is just frustrating.

Its REALLY bad. So bad one of my friends has already quit and im on the verge of quitting because there is literally no challenge what so ever. Rattling off 98 straight wins like its nothing.

Amazing how devs can claim there's "skilled" based MM and keep a straight face these days.

It is anything but skill based. I literally went 11-3 in one attrition mode while killing all the grunts/spectres I saw, the rest of my team however were all negative kd. I mean are you serious? I believe I scored over 100pts in that match and everybody else on my team was just beyond terrible. I mean why in the world would I be teamed up with people who play like that?

I usually do not care about KD in domination because it isn't about kills, but in attrition those kills matter. One you are feeding them points, and twois you are feeding them titans.

E92 M3

I'm scared about future changes (unless they take away gooser). Look what happened to defense points, and no even complained about that lol.

wrongway

Man, I am so unlucky with my teammates. Every time I play Pilot Hunter, I'm on the team with the guy who manages to go 0 and 10 every round. :<

E92 M3

After playing a few hours of Hardpoint today, I feel like the nerf would have been better at 50 points instead of 25.

Yes - no idea why they went to 25.

Yeah. Weird that they went that far.

History shows, for some reason, devs always go too far with this stuff.

Man, I am so unlucky with my teammates. Every time I play Pilot Hunter, I'm on the team with the guy who manages to go 0 and 10 every round. :<

Happens to me often as well. One of the reasons I stopped going in solo. Became too frustrating.

The Cowboy

Yeah. Weird that they went that far.
So many times in games do you see a nerf go way to far, instead of trying a smaller amount 1st to see what happens.

For some reason in some games the people who control the adjustments can't seem to try a subtle approach and try a slight change 1st, I'm never surprised when a game goes from 100% to 25% - instead of going from 100% to 75% 1st, then 50% 2nd and then 25% 3d to try and find the sweet spot.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
The wall + smoke trick is fine, but the cheap part is that you just clip into the wall and can't shoot anymore. I hope that they fix that, because I feel like there's no way to actually exit out of that situation in any way.

Also, the loading times are still completely broken for me. I guess I really shouldn't play anymore. lol

Argonomic

Actually, the match making is not considered to be working well and improving it is a top, ongoing priority.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom