• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Titanfall |OT| Titan Online. Signal When Ready.

Status
Not open for further replies.

KePoW

Banned
Have you guys ever considered that Respawn intentionally does NOT want hardpoint to be a "hold" gameplay type of flow?

Maybe they want it to be more fast-paced and more action, and less camping.

Yes traditionally domination in other FPSes is about holding, but maybe Respawn does not want it like that in their game. If this is the case, I applaud them and agree. I hate fucking campers in any FPS, any mode, any place.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
If they want to improve team modes (right now I basically just play Attrition or LTS), they could just introduce team objectives that don't reward camping.

As I'm sure someone has already suggested, a VIP mode where each team gets one Titan per match and the rest of the pilots have to protect it would just eliminate the camping problem entirely and force people to work together.

Search and Destroy would be another, since it would also keep people moving.

Have you guys ever considered that Respawn intentionally does NOT want hardpoint to be a "hold" gameplay type of flow?

Yes traditionally domination in other FPSes is about holding, but maybe Respawn does not want it like that in their game. If this is the case, I applaud them and agree. I hate fucking campers in any FPS, any mode, any place.

That's clearly what they want. I assume they saw that Attrition matches were ending too quickly and the Hardpoint/CTF matches were taking too long, so they juiced the numbers accordingly.

J-Rzez

It's been awhile since I've played it so I don't remember everything, but anyone else think mixing a little Chromehounds in regards to the online system it had (persistent world map, factions fighting over territory, etc) would be pretty awesome for Titanfall 2? I think that kind of system would lend itself pretty well to this game.

Yes, I've stated it before numerous times now, but something along the lines of Chromehounds or even MAG would have done wonders for the game. Just like having more content overall. Oh, and competitive clan support. It's 20-fucking-14 after all.

antitrop

Yeah, but the problem now is that nobody defends the Hardpoints after capturing them and they go back to the enemy team almost immediately.

I think they over-nerfed. Pre-patch camping was rewarded too heavily and nobody would actually bother to attempt a Capture, but now post-patch, the little bit of necessary camping that is required in order to secure the HP is being completely abandoned and they're too vulnerable.

I think 50 points is that sweet spot.

Found a great hiding spot on Fracture when capturing B in Hardpoint.
I think Fracture is the most complex map, and probably the map that had the most development time put into it (which is why it was the primary map of the E3 demo). As far as little alcoves and shit go, Fracture has that topped. It may not be the best map, but I think it's the most fun to explore and run around in. It has "the most to see".

KePoW

Banned
Yeah, but the problem now is that nobody defends the Hardpoints after capturing them and they go back to the enemy team almost immediately.

I think they over-nerfed. Pre-patch camping was rewarded too heavily and nobody would actually bother to attempt a Capture, but now post-patch, the little bit of necessary camping that is required in order to secure the HP is being completely abandoned and they're too vulnerable.

IMO -- I still think 50 is a bit too much. But 40 could be good.

There have been some games where I've been lazy and still gotten a decent amount of defense points just running around one area.

(edit) Obviously nowhere near as many defense points as before, but I think we can all agree that was way too much. I mean around 600-700 points which I still consider a good amount, coming from my personal viewpoint that Hardpoint should mainly be about offense in Titanfall.

Izuna

Banned

I think Fracture is the most complex map, and probably the map that had the most development time put into it (which is why it was the primary map of the E3 demo). As far as little alcoves and shit go, Fracture has that topped. It may not be the best map, but I think it's the most fun to explore and run around in.

I still don't get it, who cares about the EXP? You get +25 for getting a killing spree and you get 1000 for killing like 25 Grunts etc.

They just don't want people to care about EXP at all.

I hate playing with a team that holds a single point, it's like people are mistaking the defense points as what makes you win the match...

antitrop

I still don't get it, who cares about the EXP? You get +25 for getting a killing spree and you get 1000 for killing like 25 Grunts etc.

They just don't want people to care about EXP at all.
But people do care about Exp and it affects their in-game behavior. I think after the nerf, people are far too willing to immediately abandon a Hardpoint after capturing, only to let it get re-capped shortly after. I see it happening far too often, now.

Sometimes it's strategically necessary to have someone sit at an important Hardpoint, but now there is no incentive to do so, unless you like seeing yourself at the bottom of the leaderboard.

Atone13

That's clearly what they want. I assume they saw that Attrition matches were ending too quickly and the Hardpoint/CTF matches were taking too long, so they juiced the numbers accordingly.

Having played a few rounds of Attrition just now I have to say the change feels really good. The matches were definitely longer than I'm used to, but not so long that blowout takes forever to end. Definitely think they hit at good spot on that change.

Not having played domination yet since the tweaks I really can't speak to those changes yet. Having played that mode far more than the others though has me thinking the change to defending might be a little too much. Like others are saying 50, to me, sounds more reasonable..but I'm not looking at the data they have collected so far. Give it a couple weeks and we'll see how it shakes out. They can just as easily bump it up a few notches.

Overall though I'm glad to see a round of tweaks, for better or for worse, so soon after launch. I'm having a blast with this game. Also a quick question for other PC users...are you seeing a lack of regenerated players in comparison to XBO? lol. Most games I join I might see a couple 2's or a 3. The highest I've come accross is a 5. I watch these videos from xbo players and there are soooo many high lvl regened players is got me wondering.

Having played a few rounds of Attrition just now I have to say the change feels really good. The matches were definitely longer than I'm used to, but not so long that blowout takes forever to end. Definitely think they hit at good spot on that change.

Not having played domination yet since the tweaks I really can't speak to those changes yet. Having played that mode far more than the others though has me thinking the change to defending might be a little too much. Like others are saying 50, to me, sounds more reasonable..but I'm not looking at the data they have collected so far. Give it a couple weeks and we'll see how it shakes out. They can just as easily bump it up a few notches.

Overall though I'm glad to see a round of tweaks, for better or for worse, so soon after launch. I'm having a blast with this game. Also a quick question for other PC users...are you seeing a lack of regenerated players in comparison to XBO? lol. Most games I join I might see a couple 2's or a 3. The highest I've come accross is a 5. I watch these videos from xbo players and there are soooo many high lvl regened players is got me wondering.

I'd wager it's because there are probably more users playing on Xbox.

b0bbyJ03

There is only one thing I detest in this game and that is when players camp on hard points with the charges. It's so cheap and the blast range is huge, other than that everything seems pretty balanced. Having a blast

antitrop

There is only one thing I detest in this game and that is when players camp on hard points with the charges. It's so cheap and the blast range is huge, other than that everything seems pretty balanced. Having a blast

I only did it to boost the Generation 3->4 requirements. I suck at Satchel Charges, it was the last Challenge I finished for that gen.

Otherwise, I also generally dislike that strategy. I feel naked without Arc Grenades, anyway.

Clydebink

Neo Member
I hope the new modes they announce are fresh innovations that leverage Titanfall's idiosyncracies. I fear that the vocal majority lacks the creativity to learn how to appreciate the unfamiliar.

Atone13

I'm most definitely guilty of "abusing" satchel charges. I've become quite good with them and one of my favorite burn cards is the unlimited satchels one. Though I do get many kills with them ( sometimes myself included) I will agree they seem to be a bit too strong. I get more double/triple kills with charges than with anything else. Also if a player gets the jump on me but doesn't kill me and I have to chance to run... dropping one at my feet and detonating a few seconds later will almost always kill my pursuer.

That said though I can definitely understand why people feel there too strong, I do most times too. Maybe the radius of the explosion needs tweaking I don't know. Even though a tweak to them would affect my play style I would completely understand if a change to them was in the pipeline. Just have to wait and see.

eek5

I could see that they want you to promote flow and flag rotation but as great as that idea is it never leads to wins. I'd say about 95% of the time that my team rotates flags with the enemy we end up losing. If you want to win you need to hold 2 for a long time or if you want a safer win you need to hold a triple cap for a bit to get them stuck on a spawn then go back to a 2 cap.

If you're going to try to rotate or trade flags and hope you end up with a 3 cap that basically means you're the one moving but you expect someone else on your team to hold so it's the same thing as holding.

So if they want you to trade/rotate then why doesn't that lead to wins? Wins should be based on total caps if that were the case but it isn't.

J-Rzez

No, you stop. Here's another:
iiMstNcuSkXWG.gif

here's the pings:
FaYcsq5.png

So saying it's a latency issue is crazy. I have been killed like that plenty of times. It's because of the lock-on and ridiculous range.

This is what I was complaining about now since beta. This jump kick is such a cheap garbage move. I was killed so many times by that stupid move in ridiculous situations like that or when on the ground even, off angle and so damn far away. In your case, if it were like mine, you probably weren't even on their screen when you see the kill cam.

This game makes me laugh though. For such limited amounts of weapons/abilities, it's amazing some of these made it through as broken as they are.

ChawlieTheFair

pip pip cheerio you slags!
Just got the game, played for a couple of hours. I really don't see a reason to use any other titan besides the tank one. It seems like most people will just sit there and duke out with you, and why wouldn't you want the extra health? Also, default scope for carbine is awful, I unlocked the other two and it made aiming much easier.

The Cowboy

Just got the game, played for a couple of hours. I really don't see a reason to use any other titan besides the tank one.
Because sometimes speed is better than armour (if used correctly), the Stryder is fantastic at getting around a map quickly (its insane when you activate the dash core) and is also very good at dodging attacks.

If used well you can use the Stryder in different ways, a good fast ranged attacker who can dodge incoming attacks (I like using the chain gun with accelerator or quad rockets with rapid fire), a good point helper as you can move around the map so quickly, and weirdly a very good close range nip in/out brawler (with big punch).

The only titan I find a bit useless in how I play is the atlas (the middle one), I prefer either going full speed with the Stryder or full tank with the Ogre - it is nice to have a midway option though.

b0bbyJ03

I'm most definitely guilty of "abusing" satchel charges. I've become quite good with them and one of my favorite burn cards is the unlimited satchels one. Though I do get many kills with them ( sometimes myself included) I will agree they seem to be a bit too strong. I get more double/triple kills with charges than with anything else. Also if a player gets the jump on me but doesn't kill me and I have to chance to run... dropping one at my feet and detonating a few seconds later will almost always kill my pursuer.

That said though I can definitely understand why people feel there too strong, I do most times too. Maybe the radius of the explosion needs tweaking I don't know. Even though a tweak to them would affect my play style I would completely understand if a change to them was in the pipeline. Just have to wait and see.

Well u can't blame the player for exploiting the best strategies but being on the other end sucks. I just play for fun and want to go in and out of a room without having to use the "if u can't beat them join them" mentality.good balance usually goes a long way but it's not a terrible problem in this game. I remember in BF3 everyone was using the USAS 12 with the frag rounds, now that was a problem

J-Rzez

Just got the game, played for a couple of hours. I really don't see a reason to use any other titan besides the tank one. It seems like most people will just sit there and duke out with you, and why wouldn't you want the extra health? Also, default scope for carbine is awful, I unlocked the other two and it made aiming much easier.

Because when you play against players who know that Titan mobility is just as vital as pilots, you're in trouble. Especially when someone's using an Atlas when their core ability is up and you get vaporized. Even having at least one extra dash to put some distance between you and a pilot trying to jump on is big for me at least when punching isn't an option. Or getting away from nuclear blasts.

im now a 360 owner again as of a few days ago, looking forward to this game coming out for it :)

assuming they didnt downgrade it too bad at least, the fact that nothing has been shown on it yet is a bit concerning

antitrop

Don't arc grenades set satchels off? I thought the idea was to throw an arc grenade in to clear it before capturing a point.
That's advanced tactics, though, dood. Very few people actually do that, but yes, it is the idea.

I figure most new players just throw all their grenades at the first thing they see after spawning and don't have any for that, though.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I would use Arc Grenades if I could throw one into a Titan while riding it.

Since I can't, I stick with satchel charges.

Nydius

There's a difference between defending and costing your team the game by sitting in a corner at C farming XP while B and A are the only points being contested.

The minute a point is left undefended, it's open season on that point. If the opposing team has points A and B and I'm the only person holding C (admittedly, I don't sit in one spot, for obvious killcam reasons), I'm still providing a very valuable service. By preventing the opponents from taking all 3 points, it keeps them from having highly accelerated point gain. Even if the team only has all three points for 15 seconds to half a minute, the point gain can end up being insurmountable.

It's not my fault if the other 5 members of my team are circle jerking or failing to take points A and B. I'm not going to leave a point completely undefended just to run back to it less than half a minute later when it's inevitably attacked.

increase reward for hardpoint hold, decrease additional reward for kills while holding, decrease kill xp in general. Problem solved.

This is the most sensible solution, IMO.

I think the weakness of the satchel is supposed to be its thrown range. But honestly, it is in a rough spot where you should be capable of throwing it through a window to clear a room on an upper floor but not able to use it like it is a grenade with a shorter fuse and bigger blast radius.

I wouldn't be opposed to having the blast radius reduced, or at least have the damage drop off much quicker since it seems to have a HUGE kill radius.

Clydebink

Neo Member
Another systemic solution for a team that just farms one hardpoint would be to have a potential xp gain that is divided by the quantity of people holding it. If one person is holding a point they get +75; if three people are holding it they get +25.

shone237

Unconfirmed Member
really wish you could issue commands to the grunts. They are so useless that they almost seem like an afterthought by Respawn. The most they can be used for is pilot baiting.

last night me and my friend were on a side of all gen 1's and 2's when the server filled the other team with gen 8's and 9's. I wanted to play them and see all the fancy tricks and gadgets they had but our whole team split and nobody would join. Matchmaking done by grunts confirmed.

shone237

Unconfirmed Member
So are the servers being weird, or is there literally nobody playing Pilot Hunter on PC?

I haven't been able to find a campaign game in a 4 days. When it does fill up, it's so unbalanced that everyone not regen' keeps leaving. It's like people are using the campaign to rank up off lower gen players/new players.

Is everyone who plays the mission Get Barker just stupid or something? I've played it 5 times in a row (going for campaign achievements) and lost every time while still having a K/D of at least 2. So frustrating.

TrueGrime

Sigh. Rant. Early on when the game came out I heavily shied away from playing pubs alone because time after time I seemed to be carrying my team, but we also seemed to win matches. I suppose because people were still learning the game. My usual friends have been absent as of late and I've been thirsty to play so I made my way back into pubs alone and can't believe the skill spread. 80% of the games have been like this for me with pubs. Even worse is that they will most usually throw me into a game that's already going on, with a horrible team, that's already losing. I don't mind losing gracefully and being challenged, but this is beyond ridiculous and saps any fun that I'm having.

This game isn't like CoD where a one person can carry an entire team to victory. If one or two people are bringing your team down it's going to make you lose. If you have five team members bringing you down, well you know. It's making want to wait until people I know get online to play (sometimes that's days). The game has been out for a good bit now. I can't believe there are still random teams that get put together like this.

My final game before I quit playing last night. I went to bed angry.

awful.jpg

Roflobear

Nah I love using the stryder with the triple threat and just speeding into a place, spraying it with grenades, and dashing out or away from danger

I would use Arc Grenades if I could throw one into a Titan while riding it.

Since I can't, I stick with satchel charges.

Yup, satchel charges are the shit

Dosia

Just played my first few rounds of attrition and I must say it is pretty lame how the teams dont switch. Played 3 games and we kept getting owned bc the other 6 players would have their titans together and there wasnt shit u could do.

JimiNutz

Banned

I played my first few Hardpoint games since the patch and agree that the flow of the games is soooo much better now. I was constantly running back and forth between hardpoint and the mode was a lot more fun.
More fast paces, frantic and intense.

This is getting to be my experience as well. It's to the point where I'm pretty consistently my team's top player, which is bad news because I'm not good enough to carry the people who go 0 and 10 all the time. :x

Same. It makes me not want to play until they add switching up teams between rounds. It's so hard to get balanced games, because a team that wins usually keeps on winning.

For people stuck on "Kill Titan with X" challenges, play Hardpoint. A lot of people leave an auto-titan in guard mode, and they are a lot easier to kill.

Nydius

Then why bother including two objective modes where defense plays a critical role in the first place? This would be like arguing that Epic Games didn't want people defending in CTF or Double Dom in Unreal Tournament because the game was fast paced. Another point to consider: Guard mode on Titans serves only one purpose - to camp an assigned spot. Why not eliminate that, as well, if they're trying to discourage so-called "camping" and change game pacing?

If they just want frantic, run around like headless chicken modes, then they should have just left defense-oriented types like CTF and Hardpoint Domination completely out and taken a couple more pages from arena shooters instead. No one camped points in UT's Onslaught mode (well, unless you had a couple of the more powerful vehicles, but I digress), but Onslaught mode is nothing like Hardpoint Domination which is modeled directly after style Battlefield made popular more than a decade ago.

Taking a node and running away just to watch it get taken 10 seconds later is not fun to me, especially when holding those nodes are the only way to win. If I'm being pushed to just run around and kill things and ignore the whole point of taking an objective, then I might as well stick to Attrition and Last Titan Standing.

Defense != Camping. I've been hearing this same failed logic ever since the days when I played BF42 and BF:Nam competitively.

Just played my first few rounds of attrition and I must say it is pretty lame how the teams dont switch. Played 3 games and we kept getting owned bc the other 6 players would have their titans together and there wasnt shit u could do.

It gets annoying pretty fast when your stuck with people who seem to have no idea what teamwork is, hopefully they'll fix it soon.

Nah I love using the stryder with the triple threat and just speeding into a place, spraying it with grenades, and dashing out or away from danger

I just started playing a couple of hours ago, and Stryder is my favorite as well. I'm terrible (this is the first console online multiplayer game that I've ever played), but I'm still having so much fun.

WJD

Still yet to use triple threat effectively. Don't understand the point in it at all aside from pumping nades through windows in CTF/HD.

TrueGrime

Still yet to use triple threat effectively. Don't understand the point in it at all aside from pumping nades through windows in CTF/HD.

Same. I'm a 40mm kind of guy. However I think its saving grace is that if you get close enough they stick to titans.

Zakalwe

Banned

It's good for bombarding choke points near hardpoints, or when Titans bunch up, or in enclosed areas...

But it's almost always outdone by the 40mm cannon, which has amazing range and accuracy and close quarters potential and fire rate....

eek5

The nades explode on impact of titans and spectres and shit. You can clear out AI pretty fast in modes like attrition especially if you have that radar on. For titans you can ADS to rotate the crosshairs to vertical and nail titans with all 3 nades per shot.

It does a lot of damage.

Then of course there is the CTF/HD stuff with holding points.

I still think the 40mm is more versatile. If you have good titan teammates the triple threat can become a really good support titan just lobbing shit over your teammates but alone it's kind of hit or miss.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom