• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Titanfall |OT| Titan Online. Signal When Ready.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shade360

Neo Member
Speaking of hearing foot steps I never EVER hear enemies running around, so what's the point in the silent running perk? just to stop foot steps on top of an enemy titan?

In MW2 at least you could just about hear players if they were sprinting, in this game however everyone is moving like a ghost.

I hear them on my MS stereo headset, doesn't help me though.. lol

Bizazedo

That's not an excuse, really. If I can't hear a pilot climbing my Titan during chaotic situations, then that's the game's fault.

I dunno how to reply to this as I've never not heard someone jumping aboard my Titan, without a headset. I will say maybe my volume is too high on my TV?

Pegasus Actual

Gold Member
Ehh, in rodeo situations the balance of power is already skewed way in favor of the guy in the titan. If the titan puts its back to a wall and looks up and pops smoke, or shoots the wall with cluster missiles before backing up, the rodeo pilot gets stuck and can't dismount before dying. There's nothing the pilot can do in that situation besides getting off the titan as soon as it starts heading toward the wall. Yes this requires a specific choice of kit on the titan's part (smoke or cluster missiles) but the same is true of the pilot with the satchel trick.
I do the cluster missile backscratch on occasion, but it always deals pretty heavy damage to my armor. I really don't think it's that great of a deal. I'm not liking how easy it is to take out a titan pilot with a satchel charge. Sure it requires a sacrifice to make a class to do that, but it's still more rock-paper-scissors than anything.

Discobird

Speaking of hearing foot steps I never EVER hear enemies running around, so what's the point in the silent running perk? just to stop foot steps on top of an enemy titan?

In MW2 at least you could just about hear players if they were sprinting, in this game however everyone is moving like a ghost.

The reduced jetpack exhaust is a much bigger deal IMO. That blue flash really draws the eye, especially if the pilot is cloaking.

I dunno how to reply to this as I've never not heard someone jumping aboard my Titan, without a headset. I will say maybe my volume is too high on my TV?

Yeah the noise is very obvious once you start paying attention to it. It is easier to hear on my headphones than on my PC speakers, but that's the same with trying to pick out any other specific sound.

Jito

Banned
Anyone from Respawn commented on when the matchmaking updates are coming? Don't think I'll be playing again til I know I'm getting proper balanced teams and suitably matched teammates.

That's not an excuse, really. If I can't hear a pilot climbing my Titan during chaotic situations, then that's the game's fault.

It's insanely easy to hear people climbing on your Titan. Either you need to get your ears checked, pay more attention in fights or turn the volume up a tiny bit.

Just seems like a situation of people complaining about the game when they should be reflecting upon themselves. First instinct for many people is to blame everything but themselves.

SpacLock

Anyone from Respawn commented on when the matchmaking updates are coming? Don't think I'll be playing again til I know I'm getting proper balanced teams and suitably matched teammates.

It's insanely easy to hear people climbing on your Titan. Either you need to get your ears checked, pay more attention in fights or turn the volume up a tiny bit.

This.

The audio of someone climbing your titan will mask all other sound no matter how chaotic the battle is.

Struct09

I've never had a problem hearing someone rodeo my Titan. It sounds like someone jumping on the hood of your car, and it's audible even when everything else around you is exploding. They did a fantastic job with the audio in this game.

I hear them on my MS stereo headset, doesn't help me though.. lol

I can't seem to hear them nearly at all over my stereo headset (goes from hdmi to tv/pc to wireless headset) or from the tv itself, it's very quiet while everything else is super loud, I even turned the in-game music down.

SpacLock

I can't seem to hear them nearly at all over my stereo headset (goes from hdmi to tv/pc to wireless headset) or from the tv itself, it's very quiet while everything else is super loud, I even turned the in-game music down.

It's a very distinct sound that you're just missing. The way it's mixed into the game sound there is no way that it's inaudible at any time. Maybe you have your volume way too high to where it's distorting everything. I'd honestly say that you may need to have your ears checked!

Discobird

I do the cluster missile backscratch on occasion, but it always deals pretty heavy damage to my armor. I really don't think it's that great of a deal. I'm not liking how easy it is to take out a titan pilot with a satchel charge. Sure it requires a sacrifice to make a class to do that, but it's still more rock-paper-scissors than anything.

I really only do it when my smoke is on cooldown. It's pretty much always worth it in my book since the alternative, if smoke is not available, is to get out and risk a 50/50 fight or stay and hope a teammate is around and notices in time to kill the pilot.

I agree this should not be a game of hard counters (for either side) when it comes to rodeo combat.

I don't normally mind being put up against stacks, eh, one bad game and then find another lobby. For some reason though I keep getting stuck against the same guys even after backing out. I'm sure their #1 priority is getting people put into games.. but if you leave a lobby several times in row.. it should take into account that you might not want to be in that lobby.

Really drives home how bad the matchmaking is right now.

On another note..has matchmaking been bad for anyone else today? Feels like it takes forever to find a game.

Discobird

I don't normally mind being put up against stacks, eh, one bad game and then find another lobby. For some reason though I keep getting stuck against the same guys even after backing out. I'm sure their #1 priority is getting people put into games.. but if you leave a lobby several times in row.. it should take into account that you might not want to be in that lobby.

I think it tries to avoid putting you back in the same lobby unless there's nothing else available. I've only had that happen with the less popular game modes at off-hours (Pilot Hunter at 1AM Pacific...).

rjcc

usually when I hear them, I'm running too, and it suddenly sounds like my footsteps are going double time.

that means someone is behind me.

Re stats:

Personally, I found that focusing more on my winning percentage - ie, doing whatever it took to help the team win, regardless of what it meant for my stat line - actually helped me get better at the game, to the point where my individual stats are now rising up to the level of my win percentage.

My win percentage is 75% with 250 matches played, and that's with a combination of playing with a consistent group of friends (always a big help) as well as individually in the CTF, HardPoint and Attrition pots.

My K/D was a depressing 0.9 for the first week, but I basically put a conscious effort into putting it out of sight and out of mind while I focused on learning the maps, trying out all the weapons and abilities to find out what playstyle I was best at, and what equipment facilitated that playstyle best, and focusing on objectives or running support behind/beside other players, and basically learning through osmosis and observation.

Now my K/D has jumped to 1.5 and it's going up fast because my last-10-games K/D has been 6.0+ (with frequent peaks of 14.0, 16.0 even 20.0) for the last like, 40-50 games or so.

void666

Banned
Dear respawn. Fuck you for having the stupid one hit kill melee attack in your game.
Now i remember one of the reasns that led me to never play MW2 again. Unload a clip on someone's face while he just kicks and insta kill you. Happened twice in my last round.
Too bad you can't alt+f4 in this game.

rjcc

Dear respawn. Fuck you for having the stupid one hit kill melee attack in your game.
Now i remember one of the reasns that led me to never play MW2 again. Unload a clip on someone's face while he just kicks and insta kill you. Happened twice in my last round.

it's called a shotgun

It's basically an insta-kill AOE. You don't even have to aim it. If somebody gets within 5 feet of you, hit the button for an automatic win. I expect this shit on consoles, but in the PC version it's ridiculous.

I don't so much mind the fact that it's an instakill as the ridiculous range, the ridiculous hit-box for it, and the fact that you seem to be invincible once the animation kicks in.

For Gen 4 to 5, with the charge rifle critical hits, any advice anyone? I read rodeoing and shooting that spot works but haven't had a chance to try it yet.

I don't so much mind the fact that it's an instakill as the ridiculous range, the ridiculous hit-box for it, and the fact that you seem to be invincible once the animation kicks in.

The part about the kick that gets me is it is rarely in my favor, I kick and see blood fly and I get killed. Kill cam shows I missed. I unload my spitfire on a guy and I'm hearing the hits. He kicks and I lose, kill cam shows I'm shooting in every direction but his and landed nothing, he's 100%.

The part about the kick that gets me is it is rarely in my favor, I kick and see blood fly and I get killed. Kill cam shows I missed. I unload my spitfire on a guy and I'm hearing the hits. He kicks and I lose, kill cam shows I'm shooting in every direction but his and landed nothing, he's 100%.
lol I know the feeling man.. The last thing I want to see is a couple months down the line Respawn releasing patch notes that mention "bullets appear to be landing on player screen, but are not being registered," similar to BF4.

Just as in COD, the killcams are never trustworthy. I just skip them entirely, unless it's a sniper and I want to see exactly where the fucker is so I can hunt him down next respawn. :D

I think it tries to avoid putting you back in the same lobby unless there's nothing else available. I've only had that happen with the less popular game modes at off-hours (Pilot Hunter at 1AM Pacific...).

It might not be peak time but Hardpoint at 4 PM EST shouldn't force me back with the same lobby over and over.

Rolling solo against lobbies that have stuck together is getting old.

It's a shame since the core mechanics of this game are so fun..it's just that getting smashed on around every corner is not.

Re stats:

Personally, I found that focusing more on my winning percentage - ie, doing whatever it took to help the team win, regardless of what it meant for my stat line - actually helped me get better at the game, to the point where my individual stats are now rising up to the level of my win percentage.

My win percentage is 75% with 250 matches played, and that's with a combination of playing with a consistent group of friends (always a big help) as well as individually in the CTF, HardPoint and Attrition pots.

My K/D was a depressing 0.9 for the first week, but I basically put a conscious effort into putting it out of sight and out of mind while I focused on learning the maps, trying out all the weapons and abilities to find out what playstyle I was best at, and what equipment facilitated that playstyle best, and focusing on objectives or running support behind/beside other players, and basically learning through osmosis and observation.

Now my K/D has jumped to 1.5 and it's going up fast because my last-10-games K/D has been 6.0+ (with frequent peaks of 14.0, 16.0 even 20.0) for the last like, 40-50 games or so.

I have 171 games down and so I hope I can see some improvements like this soon. My lifetime K/D is still 0.9. At one point I was 0.6. My win percentage is just now reaching 45% after being as low as 28%. This is the first game of this type that I've put this much time into. I have some good games and then some really awful ones. I need to play with a group of people more often than I do but...dat family schedule.

The Cowboy

As other have said, they removed the incentive to defend points after you capture them. As such rather than have some players defend points when you capture them, its generally everyone going to a point then killing/capping, then running to the next and doing the same, then the next, then back to the start and around again. It feels like playing attrition now and as such, you may as well play that instead.

Its kinda the same with CTF, they removed the incentive to defend your flag area (reduced flag return points, flag carrier kill points and flag defence area points) making it not really worth defending it whiles your team goes for the enemy flag - you can stay at your flag, kill everyone who takes the flag and return it and you'll get less points than someone who captures 1 flag..

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Hardpoint is not even close to ruined and the point values for holding a few seconds were just ridiculous before, much as I enjoyed it.

Hardpoint is nothing like Attrition and I can't even begin to wrap my mind around that. You win by holding all the points for a long enough amount of time.

Really not getting it.

edit: oh this is about getting points for yourself regardless of winning? :/

HoodWinked

for hardpoint someone who played defense would always outscore someone playing offensive because on offense you'll always be more prone to getting shot running between points. Its not so much about punishing defensive play its to bring both play roles much closer to each other.

The Cowboy

Hardpoint is not even close to ruined and the point values for holding a few seconds were just ridiculous before, much as I enjoyed it. Hardpoint is nothing like Attrition and I can't even begin to wrap my mind around that. You win by holding all the points for a long enough amount of time. Really not getting it.

edit: oh this is about getting points for yourself regardless of winning? :/

No its not that, its that in a capture and defend mode (Domination/CTF) you can earn a lot less points despite the fact your helping your team out defending an area, whilst they now earn a lot more over you while attacking an area (and in CTF doing a lot less than you to)..

Players should be rewarded with points for themselves based on what they do whilst also helping the team, but with the current points changes defenders aren't being rewarded enough points based on what they do whilst also helping the team, they needed to balance it out, they just went to far and made it not worth while to defend now in both Hard point and CTF.

Take CTF and you saying "this its about getting points regardless of winning", you can spend a full game of CTF defending your flag, killing everyone who takes it and actually helping out your team a lot (even being the one who did the most for the team) and at the end of the match you can end up with the least points and bottom of the scoreboard - that isn't right.

Hardpoint is still fun. I'm sure gameplay will balance out a little more. Give it some time for players to adjust to the change. Maybe Respawn nerfed it too much. They'll look at the stats and adjust as necessary, don't worry about it too much. Be vocal with your team and that can help solve any point award differences....

TrueGrime

I'm thinking about not Gen-ing past Gen 2, GAF. Wondering if it is even worth the grind to do so. I'm just afraid that I might be missing out on goodies that might come in the future for people that have made it to Gen 10.

Jinoru

Banned
for hardpoint someone who played defense would always outscore someone playing offensive because on offense you'll always be more prone to getting shot running between points. Its not so much about punishing defensive play its to bring both play roles much closer to each other.

The other night the team I was on either just wasn't playing either way or something because I was MVP with the majority of my points in offense. probably around 2:1.

J-Rzez

Thanks for ruining Hardpoint/Domination, Respawn :(

Yep.

They catered to the rambo-mentality players, and trying to ensure the game is what it was meant to be played as in their vision; run, run, run, run, jump, jump, run, run, run, jump, run, jump, etc...

Such a shame. Now it's just another CoD-like hardpoint swap-fest.

I'm thinking about not Gen-ing past Gen 2, GAF. Wondering if it is even worth the grind to do so. I'm just afraid that I might be missing out on goodies that might come in the future for people that have made it to Gen 10.

Did they say they were even putting legitimate content in the game via the DLC? Or is it just moar-maps?

This is very true. I'm someone who defends positions once taken and the score I'd achieve would always surprise me. It's much more even now.

TrueGrime

I'll also say that there's a difference between someone farming a hardpoint for points and people that actually defend and rack up kills doing so. Haven't played the nerfed hardpoint yet but I will here in a few minutes.

Kid Ska

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Oh man. LTS with one titan left on each side, both doomed and laying into each other to get the other one to explode first. Luckily I had an Ogre with an extended mag XO-16 or that may have gone the other way.

The Cowboy

This is very true. I'm someone who defends positions once taken and the score I'd achieve would always surprise me. It's much more even now.
But it isn't much more even now as its swung to the other end of the scale, it used to be that defender could earn the most, now they earn the least by quite a margin. They did need to make changes to balance it out, they just went to far and made it unbalanced the other way around.

But it isn't much more even now, its swung to the other end of the scale. It used to be that defender could earn the most, now they earn the least by quite a margin. They did need to make changes to balance it out, they just went to far and made it unbalanced the other way around.

I'll pay more attention tonight but it felt more even on the matches I was on recently.

Yeah I had this problem (PC UK) turned out to be Wifi . I ran an lan cable and everything is now fine.Got a ping of nine.
My Origin id is Pjsprojects,on most evenings.

I am going to try this tomorrow; thanks for the tip. When I am on Origin again I'll add you as a friend as well if you don't mind!

I really think it should only do half damage and knock you back. Although fixing the issues you state might make it feel more balanced. I have been 'kicked' from a fair old distance before whilst shooting enough to give the player lead poisoning.

The iframe type thing going on with the animation is making this too powerful an option. I jokingly thought of remapping the button so my left mouse was melee and the side mouse button was shoot...

Just as in COD, the killcams are never trustworthy. I just skip them entirely, unless it's a sniper and I want to see exactly where the fucker is so I can hunt him down next respawn. :D

For my health and sanity I think I will follow your advice. I got shotgunned earlier and it seemed so far off from what I saw.

Also, someone kicked me and according to the kill cam I wasn't even shooting even though I had been.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
This.

The audio of someone climbing your titan will mask all other sound no matter how chaotic the battle is.

Yup. very rarely do I get caught off guard by a rodeo, unless i am in the middle of a battle ground with 3 or 4 other titans, do I neglect to notice. I'm always armed with electric smoke so they never have a chance :D

You can be good at both :p

k0XgzYW.jpg

Yup. very rarely do I get caught off guard by a rodeo, unless i am in the middle of a battle ground with 3 or 4 other titans, do I neglect to notice. I'm always armed with electric smoke so they never have a chance :D

I'll never get rid of my electric smoke. It's too useful for combating what I usually do.

Open up hatch. Start firing. Any motion by them to come out or if there are other enemy titans around, throw two satchels pop off blow up. Usually kill the pilot and severely damage the titan (if no shield) or get rid of shield.

cresto

As other have said, they removed the incentive to defend points after you capture them. As such rather than have some players defend points when you capture them, its generally everyone going to a point then killing/capping, then running to the next and doing the same, then the next, then back to the start and around again. It feels like playing attrition now and as such, you may as well play that instead.
This is what I feel like I have to do even before the update. Trying to play solo is impossible. You can't hold a flag because then you are down 2-1. Not sure what is the solution, but I appreciate having an objective over something like Attrition.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom