• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Titanfall |OT| Titan Online. Signal When Ready.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've grown to really like Pilot Hunter. At first I thought it was a garbage mode, but with some of the bigger maps like Training Ground it can get quite intense.

The cadence of roaming and big titan battles is a lot of fun.

I used to do great every game of hard point by defending the Titan accessible hard point and securing our base. But now the hard points flip flop so often I don't even care to play the objective. All I see now is people securing a hard point and running off. There is no reward for staying inside your own area.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
defenders aren't being rewarded enough points based on what they do whilst also helping the team, they needed to balance it out, they just went to far and made it not worth while to defend now in both Hard point and CTF.
I can appreciate the "they went too far" and a call to adjust the points to somewhere in between I guess. In my view I could never consider it "not worthwhile" because it helps you win.

Take CTF and you saying "this its about getting points regardless of winning", you can spend a full game of CTF defending your flag, killing everyone who takes it and actually helping out your team a lot (even being the one who did the most for the team) and at the end of the match you can end up with the least points and bottom of the scoreboard - that isn't right.
Maybe a better summary of my position would be, especially in CTF, I'd rather be bottom of the scoreboard on the winning team than top of the scoreboard on the losing team. I know many do not share this view.

Kalm

They catered to the rambo-mentality players, and trying to ensure the game is what it was meant to be played as in their vision; run, run, run, run, jump, jump, run, run, run, jump, run, jump, etc...

Such a shame. Now it's just another CoD-like hardpoint swap-fest.

Anyone that actually changed their playstyle based on the nerf is a complete moron and likely weren't helping much anyway.

The post-patch matches I've played have been business as usual; the only exception being super low defense scores across the board. Some people still defend, most people still run from hardpoint to hardpoint.

Doubling the points given for "Hardpoint Defense" (i.e. defensive kills) from +75 to +150 would be nice though.

I know this is probably impractical and probably has holes, but what I'd like to see for Hardpoint defense is that the number of points you get is based on enemy proximity.

Nobody remotely gets close, and you get 25. Actually kill pilots and you get 75(+pilot bonus you already get). Values in between depending on how close pilots actually get.

I think this would encourage actual defense, but not encourage someone hanging out in a never-threatened hardpoint in a game where the rest of the team is so dominating that the defense is pointless.

I totally fess up to doing that because I wanted the XP. 75 for doing nothing was clearly too much.

Tokubetsu

Finally finished the railgun challenge. Never going to touch that gun a gain. Amazing how much fun you can have with this game when you're not trying to get challenges done.

You can be good at both :p

k0XgzYW.jpg

Well *you* can be good at both. But seriously, one thing I have yet to really grasp is how the points you have earned there relate to the actual score for the team.

Well *you* can be good at both. But seriously, one thing I have yet to really grasp is how the points you have earned there relate to the actual score for the team.

I don't believe there is any correlation. The attack/defend scores are not calculated into points earned for your team. It is merely an measure by which to show who contributed well and who did less so.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.

Are you referring to the scoring up to 400? You get a point for each second your team holds a hardpoint.

To be honest, I don't really notice a different in points you earn, why does it matter? After getting to gen 5, it feels like I get too much exp (fuck gooser).

They do not. Team points are accrued by holding the Hardpoints, that's all.

They don't. Don't worry about it.

I don't believe there is any correlation. The attack/defend scores are not calculated into points earned for your team. It is merely an measure by which to show who contributed well and who did less so.

Are you referring to the scoring up to 400? You get a point for each second your team holds a hardpoint.

To be honest, I don't really notice a different in points you earn, why does it matter? After getting to gen 5, it feels like I get too much exp (fuck gooser).

I'm looking at it like Attrition where you see actual points put on the board by you for the team. The scoring for each individual is this massive number that's difficult to correlate with the team score. Does it matter, probably not but I just don't understand how scoring (for the team) is done on hard point where the other modes are pretty obvious.

Lima

I'm looking at it like Attrition where you see actual points put on the board by you for the team. The scoring for each individual is this massive number that's difficult to correlate with the team score. Does it matter, probably not but I just don't understand how scoring (for the team) is done on hard point where the other modes are pretty obvious.

Dude he just told you.

Your team gets 1 point a second for each point they hold. So up to 3 points per second. Think Call of Duty domination.

Jinoru

Banned

Points go up on the team counter at some rate per second based on how many points are in the teams control, as far as I can see.

In Battlefield you don't see how fast the tickets go down. There is zero relation to personal exp score and team score.

The Cowboy

I just don't understand how scoring (for the team) is done on hard point where the other modes are pretty obvious.
You earn offense/defence points like this in Harpoint - in case people don't know.

*750 offense points for helping take over a hard point.
*10 offense points for kills near an enemy hard point.
*125 defense points for holding a hardpoint for a certain amount of time (I think its 1 minute).
*25 defense points every 10 seconds for defending a hardpoint area (used to be 75).
* 0 defense points for kills near a friendly hard point.

In Hardpoint they should have another category like "personal" that displays your kill/spree points etc that aren't related to offense/defense.

Kalm

You earn offense/defence points like this in Harpoint - in case people don't know.

*125 defence points for holding a hardpoint for a certain amount of time (I think its 1 minute).
*25 defence points every 10 seconds for defending a hardpoint area (used to be 75).
* 0 defence points for kills near a friendly hard point.

No. You're getting your numbers from the wildly incorrect Titanfall wiki.

Atone13

I'm thinking about not Gen-ing past Gen 2, GAF. Wondering if it is even worth the grind to do so. I'm just afraid that I might be missing out on goodies that might come in the future for people that have made it to Gen 10.

I don't know about missing out on goodies but for me personally I regen only because I'd prefer to see some progress, than none at all during level cap. It's gotta be a mental thing...I'd rather see the xp bar filling up than not... that said though having just hit gen 4 some of the challenges are getting to me.

You see I'm of two minds when it comes to some of the challenges. I like that they make me use weapons I don't usually equip, but also using said weapons at the beginning means I'll lose most 1v1 duels. Currently I've got to use the dmr sniper and the auto pistol to go from 4 to 5 among some others. I feel like I'm getting a little better each round with them, but having my ass handed to me by shotties and full auto main weapons some games usually leads me to stop playing.

I don't even want to think about the gooser challenge yet... 4 generations and I havnt gotten a single gooser kill yet. Now I obviously might get em when I'm actively trying to do it...but I'm still not thrilled about having to.

Dude he just told you.

Your team gets 1 point a second for each point they hold. So up to 3 points per second. Think Call of Duty domination.

Points go up on the team counter at some rate per second based on how many points are in the teams control, as far as I can see.

In Battlefield you don't see how fast the tickets go down. There is zero relation to personal exp score and team score.

*125 defense points for holding a hardpoint for a certain amount of time (I think its 1 minute).
*25 defense points every 10 seconds for defending a hardpoint area (used to be 75).
* 0 defense points for kills near a friendly hard point.

In Hardpoint they should have another category like "personal" that displays your kill/spree points etc that aren't related to offense/defense.

Those are the points awarded to you as the player, I was interested in how points are given to the team until someone hits 400 points or the timer runs out. It seems to me that if it's simply a tick per hard point held per second then capturing and defending a pair of hard points is all you really need to do.

Like the other poster said, it is just like domination/king of the hill stand type matches where you get points for each hardpoint you hold and the team that wins hits 400 first (or I guess the highest points when time runs out).

Those points there are just personal tallies of how well you've done, like I said.

It is pretty obvious.

Lima

Those are the points awarded to you as the player, I was interested in how points are given to the team until someone hits 400 points or the timer runs out. It seems to me that if it's simply a tick per hard point held per second then capturing and defending a pair of hard points is all you really need to do.

Alright I'll try to make this clear once more.

Your team gets 1 point each second they hold a hardpoint. Since there are 3 hardpoints a team can get up to 3 points a second.

This goes towards the 400 point limit. You got this?

Kalm

Is that incorrect?, ohh - do we know the actual points then?.

I have no idea how accurate these are as they're just the numbers I've noticed while playing:

Hardpoint Capture - 150
Hardpoint Capture Assist - 75
Hardpoint Neutralize - 50
Hardpoint Neutralize Assist - 25

Hardpoint Assault - 75 (25 for AI) <---- Clear an enemy hardpoint's capture area.
Hardpoint Defense - 75 (25 for AI) <---- Clear a friendly hardpoint's capture area.
^^^ Even if you kill multiple pilots and/or AI, these only seem to count once. I think you get the points once the hardpoint stops being "Contested".

Hardpoint Siege - ??
Hardpoint Perimeter Defense - ??
^^^ I think I've seen 5, 10 and 25 points here. I believe you get them for kills within a hardpoint's general area but outside the smaller capture zone. Personally, I've only ever noticed it while killing AI but it might apply to pilot kills as well.

Hardpoint Hold - 25 <---- Auto every 10 seconds while in friendly hardpoint's general area.

If your win ratio is around 50% then I'd say the matchmaking is working as intended. That said the skill gap is way too big between the best and worst person in a match.

Maybe, but with match making normally comes some kind of team balancing so I wouldn't really put it down to match making. I could easily increase my win rate if I just quit every game until I got put on a team that was doing the dominating rather than being dominated but I won't do that. The game just seems to have 0 way of balancing out a team. I can't remember the last game that was even remotely close.

I have a lower K/D (it's at 1.6 right now) and I've won 60%+ of my games. :D

Keep up the good work! I don't know why I mentioned K/D really since I play about 95% hardpoint where K/D doesn't get you anywhere. Guess I just threw it in their as some kind of evidence I don't just feed the enemy team whilst still scoring quite highly from objectives.

I think forgetting about stats is the best way to go; not easy if you are that way inclined, I know. In the past five days-or-so I have been getting too mixed up in all that business and it is putting pressure on my TF gaming time.

The same happened when I was heavily involved in Hawken back last year. If my team lost and I'd put in a good shift it annoyed me intensely and if I wasn't placing in the top 2 I would be p*ssed about my performance.

I am not going to be angry at other players so long as they try their best; my anger is aimed at the complete lack of balancing in terms of player numbers and player experience/rank. I do get annoyed on objective-based games where the rest of the team do not appear to have been partaking in the objective, however.

This sums up how I feel a lot better then what I could put into words. Though I have never really seen rank as an indication of skill. I am only Gen 2 easily out performing Gen 5+ people on my own and the enemy teams. Same goes for Battlefield, I don't get a lot of time to play so I am always way under the average person in levels but often come out top 3. But their is plenty of stats they could use to form some kind of balancing.

Maybe the matchmaking system is trying to use you to balance a team of bad players. ;)
I suppose any balancing system will end up penalizing good players by teaming them up with "bad" ones.

I will believe there is a balancing system when every game isn't one sided. But thanks for trying to make me feel better. I've slept now and today I pick up my 780TI so you can be sure I will be playing again tonight!

I play solo all the time which probably doesn't help.

will27

Finally finished the railgun challenge. Never going to touch that gun a gain. Amazing how much fun you can have with this game when you're not trying to get challenges done.

I could not agree more. I spent yesterday getting destroyed playing Last Titan Standing with the rail gun trying to unlock the Insta Shot upgrade. The projectile speed is painfully slow. It feels like firing an arrow.

so i just bought titanfall which is my first experience with origin. waited 2 hours for origin to download it which is reasonable for 50gb but now its installing it, wtf is that all about? steam doesnt install game plus i found out u cant take a screenshot.

seriously how did ea not get voted worst company again?

Tokubetsu

I could not agree more. I spent yesterday getting destroyed playing Last Titan Standing with the rail gun trying to unlock the Insta Shot upgrade. The projectile speed is painfully slow. It feels like firing an arrow.

What was really hurting me, was the ammo count. I used the instant charge mod so I only had 5 shots per clip. If I was lucky I'd get those 5 hits only to have someone swoop in the for the kill. I got into the habbit of just reloading after 2 or so shots. Titan-Assist city.

S0cc3rpunk

Unconfirmed Member
hey guys! is this any good to run titanfall on medium or max settings

•Intel Core i7-4700MQ processor (up to 3.4GHz, 6MB Cache)
•8GB memory (DDR3L, 1600MHz)
•1GB NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M graphics

Am_I_Evil

maybe someone can explain this....watching a game on twtich...see an open spot and try to jump in (friends on xbox live) and it tells me its full...i can see for a fact that there is an open spot on the friend's team...what gives? (xbox one)

Lima

Finished the editing of the Militia and IMC campaigns. Roughly 30 minutes worth of story each including the talking in the lobby and the intro video.
For what it's worth the Militia story is not the worst thing I ever heard. Militia campaign in 35 minutes and IMC campaign in 30 minutes if anybody is interested.

Might watch. Didn't gave a shit about the chatter pre match and in the match itself you know I was kinda busy shooting dudes.

Fantasmo

I don't normally mind being put up against stacks, eh, one bad game and then find another lobby. For some reason though I keep getting stuck against the same guys even after backing out. I'm sure their #1 priority is getting people put into games.. but if you leave a lobby several times in row.. it should take into account that you might not want to be in that lobby.

Really drives home how bad the matchmaking is right now.

On another note..has matchmaking been bad for anyone else today? Feels like it takes forever to find a game.

This is not so much a problem for consoles as it is a big problem for PC games with a low player count and many modes. I rarely ran into the problem on the CoD games on console, but on PC there simply aren't enough people playing. I share your frustration by the way. Pilot Hunter, Capture the Flag, and Last Titan Standing really drive this point home.

Fantasmo

Too bad, Origin isn't bad other than not having mega sales like Steam. I mean, it's no Uplay.

Origin's needs voice chat. I mean, it's hard enough finding good teammates. Then adding them on Steam also to get into a group chat before a match is more than most are willing to do. Which reminds me again that Titanfall needs open mic chat (muting is not difficult).

Delt31

is it just me or is the game more stable? I just switched to windows 8 but it just seems to run smoother in some of the levels that had issues like lagoon.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
The loading times are still murdering me. Please Respawn peeps, please fix this. :(

Might watch. Didn't gave a shit about the chatter pre match and in the match itself you know I was kinda busy shooting dudes.
Well, the thing is that you're also too busy to pay attention to the events taking place. Like, I had no idea in the first map that there were actually starships being blown up overhead even though they kept talking about it throughout the mission.

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
Origin's needs voice chat. I mean, it's hard enough finding good teammates. Then adding them on Steam also to get into a group chat before a match is more than most are willing to do. Which reminds me again that Titanfall needs open mic chat (muting is not difficult).

I am new to PC and don't do much party chats, but even if I did I wouldn't let that keep me from buying the game.

potam

Banned
Even though it's only been in the wild for a couple of weeks now, do you guys see this game having legs like CoD?

And is there any way to check what the active online numbers are for XB1 compared to PC? I'm tempted to jump on all the Titanfall bundle deals, but I'd rather get it for PC if the population is healthy.

Roflobear

I gotta say, the Plasma Railgun regen requirement has really sapped the fun out of playing as a titan. Not sure why I put myself through this for some new tag when I could be having lots more fun switching to something else =\

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom