• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Titanfall |OT| Titan Online. Signal When Ready.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zeliard

This isn't right, and this is also the same with Hardpoint. You can have a great game and do a lot for your team while defending points, and then get less points over players who did less to help the team.

It definitely isn't right, and the funny thing about that CTF pic is you'll notice the other team had a total of 0 flag captures, and the player with 7 flag defenses had all but two of those. That player basically shut the other team's capping offense down and was second-to-last on the scoreboard for his troubles.

I'm not sure I see a major problem there. It may sting the people who constantly just gun for kills in a team objective mode and end up 3rd or 4th on the scoreboard, but the player who sits at a defensive point with satchel charges at the ready - even the "base" point - is still helping their team. They are holding down one of three points in a mode where the objective is to hold down points, and the rest of the team has to gain control of one for a majority of the time to win the thing.
I think the point is to get people to actually move outside the base instead of being overly defensive. You can cover a Hardpoint from outside the base, cutting enemies off before the even reach your area. Maybe that's what they were going for.

You can still play defense, but I don't think they want players to hide.

molnizzle

And that doesn't jive with my experience. I've mostly played Hardpoint in both the beta and retail release, and plenty of players used to attack and try to defend the middle point in particular. I've rarely run into this phenomenon where most of the team just sits at the base point.

I've in fact posted a few times in the past about how I loved Hardpoint's player scoring system because it so emphasized playing the objective over getting mindless kills (something that a game like Tribes: Ascend didn't understand), and as pub matches with randoms go, I've seen a surprising amount of team-oriented play due to that.

If there was a problem with Hardpoint before it's that people would too often emphasize Titan vs Titan battles once those came out, rather than continuing to focus on the objectives.

H2yUar2.jpg

I love playing against those types of opponents though. Auto-Titan AI has surprisingly decent survivability. I almost never actually take control of my Titan during Hardpoint games.

I hardly ever remember them. I have a nasty habit of dying once or twice before getting into the match so using one at the start is a waste. Therefore I have to remember to press B instead of mashing on the space bar to respawn; I rarely remember at this stage.

I think the game was trying to tell me something the other night. Whenever I used my stim ability the screen would pulsate and show a faded deck of cards in the background to the point that it obscured my vision.

Over the course of the weekend the sheer number of players openly admitting in the chat window to chasing challenges during matches has increased massively; It is the bane of the game for me at this time. Level 50 and I am staying there.

I sometimes use them to just get rid of them to see what else I can get. I will say, I'd love to get more Ghost Squad cards (already have one).

Kalm

I'm not sure I see a major problem there. It may sting the people who constantly just gun for kills in a team objective mode and end up 3rd or 4th on the scoreboard, but the player who sits at a defensive point with satchel charges at the ready - even the "base" point - is still helping their team. They are holding down one of three points in a mode where the objective is to hold down points, and the rest of the team has to gain control of one for a majority of the time to win the thing.

The +75 tick had very little to do with actually "holding down" a point, though. The bulk of a good defensive player's points should come from defensive kills -- not some automated consolation prize.

Here's an example of a pre-patch game of Hardpoint involving myself and a teammate much like the one you've described. For levity's sake, I'm going to call him McSatchelbag:

- Match starts...
- I focus on Grunts to rush out my Titan while heading to B. ----- McSatchelbag walks ten feet to A and picks a corner. He's got this.
- My Titan is ready; B is ours. Heading back to A while team presses to C. ----- McSatchelbag is dead; A is lost. He respawns and heads back to A.
- I clear and retake A. McSatchelbag arrives and offers a fist-bump. I refuse. ----- McSatchelbag slinks to the corner once more.
- I patrol the open area between A and B, watching the HUD and defending each point as needed ----- McSatchelbag is on the roof of A, taking pot shots at Grunts.
- The rest of the match is a cycle of dead McSatchelbags and me returning to clear and recap his hardpoint. We win by a land-slide.

Final Score:

Me ------------------> 1750 OFF / 1200 DEF / 15 Kills / 0 Deaths
McSatchelbag ---> 75 OFF / 3200 DEF / 0 Kills / 15 Deaths

MVP = McSatchelbag.

Obviously, I've exaggerated this to extremes to highlight the problem but I've had dozens of matches that were nearly this ridiculous before the patch went through. If Respawn bumps up scoring for defensive pilot/titan kills next, it'll be perfect.

Gaz_RB

God damnit, why did no one tell me about the huge difference between playing with a wireless connection and using an ethernet cord?

Everything has stopped eternally jerking around. This game has been saved, I was about to quit.

The Cowboy

Obviously, I've exaggerated this to extremes to highlight the problem but I've had dozens of matches that were nearly this ridiculous before the patch went through. If Respawn bumps up scoring for defensive pilot/titan kills next, it'll be perfect.
This is a great way to explain the issue for people not playing the game and getting points for it, now it would be (due to the cut to 25 points from 75 points per 10 second tick) n a 5 minute match (I removed the deaths as he was good at hiding but still did nothing at all :D).

McPointCamper ---> 0 OFF / 1375 DEF / 0 Kills / 0 Deaths

The problem here is of course: not everyone was being McPointCamper, due to this change you can now have someone defend a point correctly (killing etc) and in the end get the same amount of defence points despite actually defending the point..
---
With the old points a player earned 75 points every 10 seconds whilst at a captured control point via HP perimeter defence points, then an additional 125 points every minute via HP hold points (this is the one I'm not sure on). So in a 5 minute match you have 2 players at a control point, 1 simply sitting in a point doing nothing and the other actually fighting to hold the point.

McPointCamper--> 0 OFF / 2875 DEF / 0 Kills / 0 Deaths.
MCPointDender--> 0 OFF / 2875 DEF / 15 Kills / 0 Deaths.

With the new scoring system players now get 25 points every 10 seconds whilst at a captured control point via HP perimeter defence points, then an additional 125 points every minute via HP hold points (again, not sure on this one). So in a 5 minute match you have 2 players at a control point, 1 simply sitting in a point doing nothing and the other actually fighting to hold the point.

McPointCamper--> 0 OFF / 1375 DEF / 0 Kills / 0 Deaths.
MCPointDender--> 0 OFF / 1375 DEF / 15 Kills / 0 Deaths.
-
If they added for the defence points kills suggestion at say 50 points per defence point kill (a kill within your teams captured control point area), then if would end up like this.

McPointCamper--> 0 OFF / 1375 DEF / 0 Kills / 0 Deaths.
MCPointDender--> 0 OFF / 2125 DEF / 15 Kills / 0 Deaths.
---
It is a tricky one though, but I said this before. Balance should not be made around players abusing the system, it should be made to balance the system for the players actually playing. Its not right to drop defence points because it was possible for players to do nothing and be rewarded - because doing this punishes players who do a lot and actually try to defend.

Maybe it works for some but that Plasma Railgun feels useless to me right now.

Satchels and SMG isn't too bad.. easy enough to get a couple satchel kills a game.

Gen 4 can't come soon enough.

IronRinn

Hit my first regen this weekend. Think I might be done for a while since I have both Infamous and Metal Gear sitting here. Still kind of want to play, though. Definitely some of the most fun I've had with this type of game.

Can you attach satchel charges to a Titan while you're rodeoing it? That's really cheap.

Also, shotgun definitely needs a nerf. I lost a mid-range combat scenario to a person with the shotgun.

I think these gen goals ruin the flow of the game sometimes, such as people running around with shotguns on the most open maps in the game, or people doing nothing but throwing grenades everywhere, I know it's a game of fun but challenges like that are straight up match-flowing changes.

The best thing to do would have been challenges you could do with any weapon like headshots or time spent in titan battles, at least that's stuff which will come naturally. Grunt farming is good in some modes but completely void of the mission in others like ctf and domination game types, but people will do so just to level up their generation rank.

The kick insta-kill should be more like the halo melee where it does a little over half HP, maybe some push back, we already have neck snapping assassinations from behind we really don't need insta kicks which in a way are faster to use then assassinations.

Can you attach satchel charges to a Titan while you're rodeoing it? That's really cheap.

Also, shotgun definitely needs a nerf. I lost a mid-range combat scenario to a person with the shotgun.

two satchels on a titan as you rodeo doesn't do that much damage, i guess you can shoot your clip, throw satchels then jump off but that's not going to finish a fresh titan at all.

Bizazedo

God damnit, why did no one tell me about the huge difference between playing with a wireless connection and using an ethernet cord?

Everything has stopped eternally jerking around. This game has been saved, I was about to quit.

What's funniest is you've now discovered one of the major reasons Live on 360 was better than PSN on PS3. A lot of the people were wired as opposed to wireless.

Tokubetsu

Anybody else finding themselves not using burn cards all that much? I tried 'em out a few times and haven't used any of them since.

Definitely prefer some over others, and I tend to save the rare op ones but I do use them. They can really give you an edge.

It doesn't do a lot of damage.

Would be nice if you could set the burn cards on a timer. Say I die 3 times within 3 min then a burn card is used. I never remember them either and get a ton of crappy ones that I just delete.

I like that you may never actually take advantage of a good burn card. It makes using the rare ones more risky.

two satchels on a titan as you rodeo doesn't do that much damage, i guess you can shoot your clip, throw satchels then jump off but that's not going to finish a fresh titan at all.

It doesn't do a lot of damage.
I'm not talking about damage to the Titan. If somebody rodeos me, throws a few satchels on, whether they be the explosive ones or the ones that disrupt your field of vision, when I get out I'm either hurt or blind. I really don't like it.

Lima

I'm not talking about damage to the Titan. If somebody rodeos me, throws a few satchels on, whether they be the explosive ones or the ones that disrupt your field of vision, when I get out I'm either hurt or blind. I really don't like it.

If he throws them on your back and detonates them at the right time when you exit your titan you are dead anyway.

Pjsprojects

This completely slipped my mind although I am not sure how as it made me [INSERT MANY WORDS HERE] angry.

Yesterday I was getting an awful lot of retrying server connections during my matches thus losing my player control for that time. I was on a very good streak in one attrition map and I am about to execute a player. The game freezes momentarily and bang I am dead.

Is this a common issue for others (PC and on European server) at the time or is it my archaic internet connection?

Yeah I had this problem (PC UK) turned out to be Wifi . I ran an lan cable and everything is now fine.Got a ping of nine.
My Origin id is Pjsprojects,on most evenings.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
So I finally played this tonight on my Xbone.

Do training looks and plays cool.

Go into a mission game and get my ass whooped. Game ends and my team are all single digit level players against a team of guys all in their high 20's....

Drop out, find another lobby...same story. Not a good way to encourage new players

Respawn is aware that the matchmaking needs serious work and I presume they are working on it. With that said, level and generation in this game is purely a time investment - it's not necessarily a good indicator of skill. I believe the intention of the matchmaking is to match up people with the same relative amount of skill, but obviously that isn't quite working as intended.

What Respawn should do is make it exactly like Halo's - keep parties together, but after every match completely change the match-ups (both team-wise and opponent-wise). That way matches are always different.

Yeah, I think that's kinda cheap.
What do you consider cheap about it? You have to keep an active eye on when the Pilot is going to eject and be precise with the detonation, otherwise you're just wasting those Satchels. Keeping on eye on when to detonate also takes your focus away from the action, thus decreasing your awareness and potential for more kills/contributing to the gametype. So if this is something you want to do, you'll probably end up hurting your team more than helping.

As for the Shotgun question I asked you about, it just seems like you died once by it and are now calling for a nerf lol.. so I guess if you care to explain then go ahead, otherwise I don't see how people can seriously think the Shotgun needs a nerf when its uses are limited, especially compared to the rifles where you can destroy at any range.

Saw my first aimbot out in the wild. He was robotically locked onto me while I was ejecting cloaked from my titan.

When I called him out on it, he said "the key is to use the Xbox controller on PC". He was obviously lying.

Lol I'm not saying he wasn't but I had a guy accuse me of aimbotting after I went like 10-0 a couple games. I was using a controller.

30IR

Banned
Anyone playing this on Eyefinity/Surround setups? How is the FoV?

And how well does it scale with SLI? Have read some mixed responses but want to hear it from someone who has actually experienced this game with multi-monitor and multi-GPU setups.

HoodWinked

satchel deaths probably the most annoying but if you ever used satchels its a pretty big investment since you lose grenades and when you switch to satchel you are also vunerable to being shot at.

throwing satchel will switch to the detonator so you lose half a second to switch to your gun. when i was doing the satchel charge challenge for regen it felt the furthest from being OP.

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
Anyone know Amazon's policy on pricematching? I preordered the titanfall bundle there and now they have it for $450

I thought it was for TVs only, but maybe that is pricematching a competitor's price and not their own. You can try calling them, their customer service is great.

Discobird

Yeah, I think that's kinda cheap.

Ehh, in rodeo situations the balance of power is already skewed way in favor of the guy in the titan. If the titan puts its back to a wall and looks up and pops smoke, or shoots the wall with cluster missiles before backing up, the rodeo pilot gets stuck and can't dismount before dying. There's nothing the pilot can do in that situation besides getting off the titan as soon as it starts heading toward the wall. Yes this requires a specific choice of kit on the titan's part (smoke or cluster missiles) but the same is true of the pilot with the satchel trick.

Tokubetsu

Ehh, in rodeo situations the balance of power is already skewed way in favor of the guy in the titan. If the titan puts its back to a wall and looks up and pops smoke, or shoots the wall with cluster missiles before backing up, the rodeo pilot gets stuck and can't dismount before dying. There's nothing the pilot can do in that situation besides getting off the titan as soon as it starts heading toward the wall. Yes this requires a specific choice of kit on the titan's part (smoke or cluster missiles) but the same is true of the pilot with the satchel trick.

Not to mention if he's anywhere near another a friendly titan they can shoot or punch him off without doing any friendly damage. The sound of someone climbing on your titan is also super obvious so you can intiate counter measures way fasterr than he can escape.

Not a lot of people do that, though, from what I've experienced. I've died more from satchel charges than from what you've mentioned. I don't like it because it doesn't give me a chance to react to the guy rodeoing me.

With the scenarios you mentioned, that's arguing to re-balance things so Titans can't do that, and I agree.
Not to mention if he's anywhere near another a friendly titan they can shoot or punch him off without doing any friendly damage. The sound of someone climbing on your titan is also super obvious so you can intiate counter measures way fasterr than he can escape.
If there's a lot of shit going on it's hard to hear a pilot climbing on your Titan.

HelloMeow

That's why you need to choose when to rodeo. It's not cheap, but it's not impossibly hard either.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Not a lot of people do that, though, from what I've experienced. I've died more from satchel charges than from what you've mentioned. I don't like it because it doesn't give me a chance to react to the guy rodeoing me.
Using cluster missles to take out pilots is a strategy that they give you in the loading screen - of course at the cost of having your Titan damaged.

The wall thing is a glitch because you are being clipped into the wall. I've had it happen to me and it sounds like it's starting to spread as a quick and dirty strategy.

J-Rzez

I'm playing this way more than CoD4 or MW2 when they were released.

I'll admit I played a lot of TitanFall thus far, but not nearly as much as those CoDs. As much shit as CoD gets, CoD4 especially had something magic to it that I would rush home to play, and sit and play until I couldn't stay awake. I haven't had experiences like that since SOCOM1/2.

Karl2177

The only time I rodeo anymore is when the enemy Titan is fighting an ally Titan. Then they have to accept the loss of the Titan to myself or my teammate depending on if they bailout or not.

Bessy67

If there's a lot of shit going on it's hard to hear a pilot climbing on your Titan.

Not if you have a headset. I had never heard a pilot climbing onto my titan before I got the rodeo warning until I got a headset and now it's completely obvious.

Speaking of hearing foot steps I never EVER hear enemies running around, so what's the point in the silent running perk? just to stop foot steps on top of an enemy titan?

In MW2 at least you could just about hear players if they were sprinting, in this game however everyone is moving like a ghost.

Special C

Speaking of hearing foot steps I never EVER hear enemies running around, so what's the point in the silent running perk? just to stop foot steps on top of an enemy titan?

In MW2 at least you could just about hear players if they were sprinting, in this game however everyone is moving like a ghost.

I can hear footsteps when using my Turtle Beaches but not over TV speakers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom