• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Titanfall |OT| Titan Online. Signal When Ready.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tauke

To be honest, Hardpoint matches lately plays really offensive and hardly anyone stay back to defend a point.

Also getting used to the Carbine for long range combat. The ADS mode is pretty powerful.

Izuna

Banned
Skill balancing on this game is way too extreme at the moment. Went 20-2 on Pilot Hunter and we lost by nearly 18 points, no one on the other team had more than 10 kills. Come on man.

Why play Titanfall when you can play 'Satchel Charge, the Game'? I currently enjoy laying traps at recently dropped Titans and splashing pilots as they rush in for embarking (this didn't work too well before the patch but is deadly now.)

So I finally played this tonight on my Xbone.

Do training looks and plays cool.

Go into a mission game and get my ass whooped. Game ends and my team are all single digit level players against a team of guys all in their high 20's....

Drop out, find another lobby...same story. Not a good way to encourage new players

The driving game Blur had a beginners' lobby so anyone under level 10-or-something could play there and nobody over that rank could.

I think that should be applied in all online games so you can at least find your footing with the gameplay, controls and maps.

I find it very useful when a Pilot rodeo's your titan deploy the electric smoke and wait for them to jump off. Then dash backwards a couple of times and half the time you will walk over them.

Yes, yes, yes
, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes

It has worked a treat for me.

As the game ages - and (certain) people play more - the matchmaking is just getting worse and worse. And I understand wanting to play with your little group of friends, but in a 6v6 game it makes things all the more unbalanced.

Went from the game's best mode to glorified Attrition, all due to one amazingly poorly-conceived balance change.

Yeah, I just play Attrition now. At least then i don't get ticked off when no one is paying attention to the objectives. I wish the game didn't encouraged such selfish play with the stupid challenges.

Went from the game's best mode to glorified Attrition, all due to one amazingly poorly-conceived balance change.

Did Respawn give any reasoning as to why they have changed hardpoint so early on in the game's life?

Receiving very little reward for defending a point from the near-constant attack of the opposition team is a tad frustrating to say the least.

Yeah, I just play Attrition now. At least then i don't get ticked off when no one is paying attention to the objectives. I wish the game didn't encouraged such selfish play with the stupid challenges.

So many yeses to this.

Just finished a game of CTF on Corporate (I think that's the name). Used the shotgun+wall-hack ability and went 20-3 with one flag capture. I managed to not die until my team scored four flag captures, which I thought would end the game because there's no way the enemy team can win then.

That shotgun, dude.

lol
iCdHWJQ.jpg

The Cowboy

Did Respawn give any reasoning as to why they have changed hardpoint so early on in the game's life?
Yes, someone from Respawn posted earlier in the thread about it (I think I was one of the only people to respond to it), part of it was due to the fact that people could abuse the system and not play the game at all and still get a lot of defence points, so it seems like it was adjusted to stop people who weren't playing the game properly (people doing nothing at all and just sitting around) - but they didn't really seem to take into account (IMO) that it would also greatly affect people who did play the game properly (people actually defending an objective).

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=105504521&postcount=14268
The issue with 75pt hold was that it rewarded you for not playing the mode. To be #1 on the scoreboard you just needed to run to the least contested friendly hard point and hang out there, preferably hiding in a corner with satchels and DMT armed. If you died you just needed to get back to a base and start hiding again.

You could literally surf the web on another machine while you looked for movement out of the corner of your eye, and consistently get 3k+ defend points.

Whether or not 25pts is the final resting point depends on how it plays out. It's more effective to iterate in the wild than it is locally.
But yeah, this change has kinda ruined Hard point, its just another version of attrition now as everyone seems to scramble from one point to another and no one defends anything. CTF isn't much better, 1 flag capture gets a lot more points than returns and flag defence now (I posted a pic on this earlier - a person with 11 pilot kills and 7 flag returns scored less than a player with 7 pilot kills and 1 flag capture).

venne

I'd enjoy hardpoint more if you needed to hack the terminal to capture it or be actively hacking it to score points. Just being in a room feels lazy.

I like the hacking mechanic and how vulnerable it makes you feel. I wish they utilized it for more things in the game.

This game is making me far too angry at the moment, I think I am going to take a break. That or I just need to forget my stats exist but I don't think I can do that.

I don't have exceptional stats but they are pretty good.

102 games played
Times MVP 27
Times TOP 3 72
1.7 K/D
And the one that is really pissing me off, 46% win ratio. Seriously, Top 3 pretty much 70% of my games and my win ratio is that low? So sick of losing because the rest of the team can't play.

Izuna

Banned
In order to get the Rodeo challenge, I can't rodeo kill auto-titans, correct?

Yes you can, please do. Also, don't exit a game until it ends otherwise you may lose your counter.

Another thing, you seem to be able to kill a Titan after it is doomed and get rewarded for it also, at least I noticed that happening when I was dropping my Titan on doomed ones.

2San

This game is making me far too angry at the moment, I think I am going to take a break. That or I just need to forget my stats exist but I don't think I can do that.

102 games played
Times MVP 27
Times TOP 3 72
1.7 K/D
And the one that is really pissing me off, 46% win ratio. Seriously, Top 3 pretty much 70% of my games and my win ratio is that low? So sick of losing because the rest of the team can't play.
If your win ratio is around 50% then I'd say the matchmaking is working as intended. That said the skill gap is way too big between the best and worst person in a match.

102 games played
Times MVP 27
Times TOP 3 72
1.7 K/D
I have a lower K/D (it's at 1.6 right now) and I've won 60%+ of my games. :D

Woo-Fu

Banned
If your win ratio is around 50% then I'd say the matchmaking is working as intended. That said the skill gap is way too big between the best and worst person in a match.

I don't think win rate means much of anything without details on how often you were in a pre-made and/or how many times you faced other pre-mades. The stack is what wins the most matches in my experience.

There are some streamers with win rates over 95% because they always play in a full pre-made.

102 games played
Times MVP 27
Times TOP 3 72
1.7 K/D

I think forgetting about stats is the best way to go; not easy if you are that way inclined, I know. In the past five days-or-so I have been getting too mixed up in all that business and it is putting pressure on my TF gaming time.

The same happened when I was heavily involved in Hawken back last year. If my team lost and I'd put in a good shift it annoyed me intensely and if I wasn't placing in the top 2 I would be p*ssed about my performance.

I am not going to be angry at other players so long as they try their best; my anger is aimed at the complete lack of balancing in terms of player numbers and player experience/rank. I do get annoyed on objective-based games where the rest of the team do not appear to have been partaking in the objective, however.

Edit:

Thanks for the link The Cowboy.

The issue with 75pt hold was that it rewarded you for not playing the mode. To be #1 on the scoreboard you just needed to run to the least contested friendly hard point and hang out there, preferably hiding in a corner with satchels and DMT armed. If you died you just needed to get back to a base and start hiding again.

You could literally surf the web on another machine while you looked for movement out of the corner of your eye, and consistently get 3k+ defend points.

Whether or not 25pts is the final resting point depends on how it plays out. It's more effective to iterate in the wild than it is locally.

I can understand the thinking in regards to a player camping out, not doing much and getting handsomely rewarded but I do think that defending a point should be rewarded if you are putting a lot of work in to hold it. Otherwise the game turns into a case of players running around like blue ass flies to each point and not defending which in my mind just turns it into a free-for-all.

Maybe it could be linked to how many players you kill when the point is contested? I know you get points for the kill but perhaps each kill could speed up a timer of the +25 points that are awarded.

Izuna

Banned
That's strange. I just killed 2 auto-titans and it didn't count.

Are you sure you got the final hit? I know for a fact that doing it on Auto-Titans works, most of the time there were some Gen 5s leaving their Titans to try and Goose from a building and I would hunt them down and Rodeo their Titans for free. That's how I got like 15 of my kills...

My suggestion would be to keep firing until the Titan dies fully...

2San

I don't think win rate means much of anything without details on how often you were in a pre-made and/or how many times you faced other pre-mades. The stack is what wins the most matches in my experience.

There are some streamers with win rates over 95% because they always play in a full pre-made.
This is the case for every single MP game out there.

Alx

(...)

So sick of losing because the rest of the team can't play.

Maybe the matchmaking system is trying to use you to balance a team of bad players. ;)
I suppose any balancing system will end up penalizing good players by teaming them up with "bad" ones.

2San

Maybe the matchmaking system is trying to use you to balance a team of bad players. ;)
I suppose any balancing system will end up penalizing good players by teaming them up with "bad" ones.
This is exactly what the game does. I have noticed that in parties where I am the best player (which is not always the case), the wins basically boils down to if I am good on that particular map.

molnizzle

Ah fuck, when did they nerf hard point holds? As a shitty player that was the only decent way I could get XP!

God damn you MGSV and Infamous...

Zeliard

I'm not sure I see a major problem there. It may sting the people who constantly just gun for kills in a team objective mode and end up 3rd or 4th on the scoreboard, but the player who sits at a defensive point with satchel charges at the ready - even the "base" point - is still helping their team. They are holding down one of three points in a mode where the objective is to hold down points, and the rest of the team has to gain control of one for a majority of the time to win the thing.

If you want to remove a player from that point, you kill them and then defend it, so that when that player "goes back to base" they die again and again as you helpfully tally up points for your team.

What's happening now in my experience is significantly more emphasis placed on offense than defense, with many players capturing points and then running off to get kills or capturing other points. It leaves those points unguarded so that the other team comes in and captures them, then they leave them, and repeat. It's silly.

The general idea in these modes is to do what's best for your team, so a few team-minded players still defend despite the big nerf in points. But the fact is many if not most players do care about their position on the scoreboard, so while they may have previously been pushed towards defending partly for self-serving reasons, the act of defending a point (or a flag) is still something that aids the team.

And this game frankly does a lot to promote selfish play through Top 3 and MVP records, K/D ratios, and prestige challenges. The latter are particularly damaging to any team-focused play, when you have a bunch of gen players on your team using unfamiliar loadouts and going for arbitrary challenges just to go up in gen rank.

Woo-Fu

Banned

Some MP games have separate queues though so that solo-queue players don't get molested.
Other MP games aren't as affected by their version of platoons or squads because they're a relatively small segment of a much larger team.

Your only options in Titanfall are to leave any match with a stack or enter the stack arms race with your own stack.

2San

I'm not sure I see a major problem there. It may sting the people who constantly just gun for kills in a team objective mode and end up 3rd or 4th on the scoreboard, but the player who sits at a defensive point with satchel charges at the ready - even the "base" point - is still helping their team. They are holding down one of three points in a mode where the objective is to hold down points, and the rest of the team has to gain control of one for a majority of the time to win the thing.
This doesn't jive with my experience. People are sitting around base and defending their one point and putting no effort in capping other points. So they have a bucketload of points, but they keep losing. The game was heavily skewed to defense. You do need offensive caps to win matches.
Some MP games have separate queues though so that solo-queue players don't get molested.
Other MP games aren't as affected by their version of platoons or squads because they're a relatively small segment of a much larger team.

Your only options in Titanfall are to leave any match with a stack or enter the stack arms race with your own stack.
My experience with that is that it fragments the player base to much. I guess it could with Titanfall though, since I am assuming it sold pretty well.

If solo players have a win ratio around 50%, it's works well enough. They really aren't getting dominated by pre-mades all the time.

Anybody else finding themselves not using burn cards all that much? I tried 'em out a few times and haven't used any of them since.

I hardly ever remember them. I have a nasty habit of dying once or twice before getting into the match so using one at the start is a waste. Therefore I have to remember to press B instead of mashing on the space bar to respawn; I rarely remember at this stage.

I think the game was trying to tell me something the other night. Whenever I used my stim ability the screen would pulsate and show a faded deck of cards in the background to the point that it obscured my vision.

And this game frankly does a lot to promote selfish play through Top 3 and MVP records, K/D ratios, and prestige challenges. The latter are particularly damaging to any team-focused play, when you have a bunch of gen players on your team using unfamiliar loadouts and going for arbitrary challenges just to go up in gen rank.

Over the course of the weekend the sheer number of players openly admitting in the chat window to chasing challenges during matches has increased massively; It is the bane of the game for me at this time. Level 50 and I am staying there.

E92 M3

I hover between 79-80%. I know for a fact that if I played with people all the time it'd be a lot higher.

This game needs a variety pack mercenary mode where no one is in a party. Be a great way for guys like me to play without getting frustrated when encountering a party of 4-6.

Most of the regen challenges come naturally, but some do require a major playstyle shift. Thankfully, these challenges aren't achievements otherwise the game would be a shitfest. Respawn/IW were always good with MP achievements; it was one of my worries for this game and thankfully they didn't put in anything crazy.

Unfortunately I find this to be the case as well. Tried a couple of Hardpoint games post change and haven't really gone back. Only modes left that I actually enjoy are CTF and LTS, and for the life of me I can never find a game, of either mode, on the Aussie servers.

Woo-Fu

Banned
This doesn't jive with my experience. People are sitting around base and defending their one point and putting no effort in capping other points. So they have a bucketload of points, but they keep losing. The game was heavily skewed to defense. You do need offense caps to win matches.

Wasn't my experience at all playing Hardpoint and that is all I play and I'm Gen4/50 so I've played a few rounds.

What we did was this: Take points, leave satchels at those points, move to next point. Once we have two points have 2-3 people focus on holding those points while the other half of the team works as interceptors in between those two points and the last point. We typically didn't take the 3rd point because doing so made it harder to predict where the enemy would come from/attack.

Now the people stuck defending weren't having as much fun as the interceptors usually but this was offset by them getting nice exp rewards for defending. They don't get that reward anymore so now if people want to play to win they can expect to get less exp than if they ignored the objectives and just pretended it was a round of Pilot Hunter.

We played capture and hold which is what Hardpoint should be about. Respawn's change has turned it into catch and release. I'm sure they'll tweak it to a happy medium at some point in the future, particularly if the Hardpoint population numbers don't recover.

Zeliard

This doesn't jive with my experience. People are sitting around base and defending their one point and putting no effort in capping other points. So they have a bucketload of points, but they keep losing. The game was heavily skewed to defense. You do need offense caps to win matches.

And that doesn't jive with my experience. I've mostly played Hardpoint in both the beta and retail release, and plenty of players used to attack and try to defend the middle point in particular. I've rarely run into this phenomenon where most of the team just sits at the base point.

I've in fact posted a few times in the past about how I loved Hardpoint's player scoring system because it so emphasized playing the objective over getting mindless kills (something that a game like Tribes: Ascend didn't understand), and as pub matches with randoms go, I've seen a surprising amount of team-oriented play due to that.

If there was a problem with Hardpoint before it's that people would too often emphasize Titan vs Titan battles once those came out, rather than continuing to focus on the objectives.

E92 M3

Wasn't my experience at all playing Hardpoint and that is all I play and I'm Gen4/50 so I've played a few rounds.

What we did was this: Take points, leave satchels at those points, move to next point. Once we have two points have 2-3 people focus on holding those points while the other half of the team works as interceptors in between those two points and the last point. We typically didn't take the 3rd point because doing so made it harder to predict where the enemy would come from/attack.

Now the people stuck defending weren't having as much fun as the interceptors usually but this was offset by them getting nice exp rewards for defending. They don't get that reward anymore so now if people want to play to win they can expect to get less exp than if they ignored the objectives and just pretended it was a round of Pilot Hunter.

We played capture and hold which is what Hardpoint should be about. Respawn's change has turned it into catch and release. I'm sure they'll tweak it to a happy medium at some point in the future, particularly if the Hardpoint population numbers don't recover.

I haven't played the new hardpoint yet, but it was one of my favorite modes. All of this worries me. I never found an issue with the point distribution. The gametype welcomed all skill levels. People that weren't as confident in their maneuverability, could defend while still getting some nice points and the ones assaulting could also contribute in their own way.

Look at Training Grounds: many times I will be the sole defender in a Titan busting my ass to make sure no one takes it. Seems like now, I won't be rewarded for holding that point so securely. Maybe they should have went to +50 instead of the huge jump to +25.

I haven't played the new hardpoint yet, but it was one of my favorite modes. All of this worries me. I never found an issue with the point distribution. The gametype welcomed all skill levels. People that weren't as confident in their maneuverability, could defend while still getting some nice points and the ones assaulting could also contribute in their own way.

Look at Training Grounds: many times I will be the sole defender in a Titan busting my ass to make sure no one takes it. Seems like now, I won't be rewarded for holding that point so securely. Maybe they should have went to +50 instead of the huge jump to +25.

In my experience I haven't noticed a huge change in the way people play. Maybe less people defending hardpoints...not sure.

Respawn needs to set the points to 50 for defending a hardpoint. Seems to me that'll be a most balanced solution.

E92 M3

This video is from a friend of mine, not sure if it is a common glitch or not, but it is funny as hell.

Super Saiyan Titan.

That's awesome!

tXMtv9o.gif

In my experience I haven't noticed a huge change in the way people play. Maybe less people defending hardpoints...not sure.

Respawn needs to set the points to 50 for defending a hardpoint. Seems to me that'll be a most balanced solution.

Yes, 50 for sure. They'll probably change it - no reason not to.

The Cowboy

This doesn't jive with my experience. People are sitting around base and defending their one point and putting no effort in capping other points. So they have a bucketload of points, but they keep losing. The game was heavily skewed to defense. You do need offensive caps to win matches.
This is true, however with the recent points changes its now heavily skewed to get people to play offense instead of even trying defence (as defence now earns so little). They need to find a balance so its worth doing both offense and defence - and the recent changes went way beyond it.
-
Here's this CTF pic again (I posted it earlier), look at the highlighted player who very clearly was playing defence (and playing it well based on all the stats on returns and pilot/titan kills etc). Look at his/her position on the score board over the people above him/her and compare their stats - this player very clearly did more for the team over at least 2 people above him/her (I'd even argue 3) YET they scored lower than them.
This isn't right, and this is also the same with Hardpoint. You can have a great game and do a lot for your team while defending points, and then get less points over players who did less to help the team.

2San

And that doesn't jive with my experience. I've mostly played Hardpoint in both the beta and retail release, and plenty of players used to attack and try to defend the middle point in particular. I've rarely run into this phenomenon where most of the team just sits at the base point.

I've in fact posted a few times in the past about how I loved Hardpoint's player scoring system because it so emphasized playing the objective over getting mindless kills (something that a game like Tribes: Ascend didn't understand), and as pub matches with randoms go, I've seen a surprising amount of team-oriented play due to that.

If there was a problem with Hardpoint before it's that people would too often emphasize Titan vs Titan battles once those came out, rather than continuing to focus on the objectives.

Don't get me wrong, most people don't play the objective at all in my experience. However that are more people defending then capping points in my experience (based on the scoreboard). Rather than nerfing defending, maybe offensive capping should give more points. There is a balance somewhere it wasn't there before imo and it isn't here now either though.

This is true, however with the recent points changes its now heavily skewed to get people to play offense instead of even trying defence (As defence now earns so little). They need to find a balance so its worth doing both offense and defence - and the recent changes went way beyond it.
-
Here's this CTF pic again (I posted it earlier), look at the highlighted player who very clearly was playing defence (and playing it well based on all the stats on returns and pilot/titan kills etc). Look at his/her position on the score board over the people above him/her and compare their stats to his - this player very clearly did more for the team over at least 2 people above him/her (I'd even argue 3 above) YET scored lower than them.
This isn't right, and this is also the same with Hardpoint. You can have a great game and do a lot for your team while defending, and then get less points over players who did less to help the team.
I agree with you. I was only talking about Hardpoint btw.

Ecto311

Would be nice if you could set the burn cards on a timer. Say I die 3 times within 3 min then a burn card is used. I never remember them either and get a ton of crappy ones that I just delete.

This completely slipped my mind although I am not sure how as it made me [INSERT MANY WORDS HERE] angry.

Yesterday I was getting an awful lot of retrying server connections during my matches thus losing my player control for that time. I was on a very good streak in one attrition map and I am about to execute a player. The game freezes momentarily and bang I am dead.

Is this a common issue for others (PC and on European server) at the time or is it my archaic internet connection?

The Cowboy

This completely slipped my mind although I am not sure how as it made me [INSERT MANY WORDS HERE] angry.

Yesterday I was getting an awful lot of retrying server connections during my matches thus losing my player control for that time. I was on a very good streak in one attrition map and I am about to execute a player. The game freezes momentarily and bang I am dead.

Is this a common issue for others (PC and on European server) at the time or is it my archaic internet connection?
I think it could be the servers (thought I haven't had it as bad as you), since the recent server update I am taking a lot longer to get into matches (and even simply connecting to the data centres) and am seeing a lot of "waiting for server" messages.

Before the server update I never had any issues with load times or server messages, now I have issues every time I play.
I agree with you. I was only talking about Hardpoint btw.
No probs, I was just bringing up CTF as it to received a load of point reductions (more than Hardpoint) for defending and I spotted that pic that showed how bad it was.

char0n

Just got this for PC on my birthday and played some over the weekend and boy was I really surprised how good this plays. It's like they found a near perfect balance between arena-style and modern(warfare)-style shooters, and the parkour aspects actually "feel" good too, especially the wall running (which in the last training zone for it felt like quake strafe-jumping though vastly easier to pull off). I actually wish there were more indoor arenas to play with corridors (maybe there are? only played a few matches, reasons below) so I could go nuts with it. The gun handling feels right too and the netcode is great, as is the map spawning/layouts as I really was able to play tactically and do well rather than the usual thrown-into-a-bulllet+grenade-blender that turned me off to lots of modern shooters. I also appreciate that the starting equipment feels strong and balanced rather than "decent but with a noticeable limitation that will be fixed around level 30". Titans also are very well done, as they do handle well and have different mechanics from standard play (dash instead of jump, halo style shield/health mix, very different handling weapons) so they do add real variety.

Technically it's very solid too. It wasn't one of the better looking games I've played recently but it does look good and performed far better than most recent PC games I've tried on my slowly-aging PC, and on max settings too. The art style though is up my alley and well realized so I really am happy with how it looks. The only issues I have is it really is making me feel my lack of SSD, as load times are pretty darn long, and I think it might be to blame for another issue I had, which is actually getting into matches. I'm still not a fan of how the matchmaking works, as it takes around 30 seconds (and sometimes much longer) just to get into a populated enough lobby to start the game countdown, another minute and a half to get the game started, then (for me and my 1TB 7200rpm drive I'm running off of) about another full minute to load and get in game. On top of that about half of the matches I got into I lost the connection to the server at the point of actually getting into the game (I'm guessing the server timed me out waiting for me to load/I loose sync on the giant "hiccup" that always happens at the start of game rendering). I only tried Campaign mode if that affects it, but I definitely still miss the having the server browser, sorting by ping/population, double clicking, and being into a game all in less than a minute of my UT-series days.

Overall I'm extremely happy with the game itself, and would love it if online-multi-fps games started to take after this in style/feel rather than CoD. Definitely going to keep playing even with the issues I ran into.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom