• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Titanfall |OT| Titan Online. Signal When Ready.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
I often feel like I am the fluffer of Last Titan Standing. I dish out a tonne of damage only for someone to get the kill shot.

I had a match where I killed 4 titans and had 13 assists. Admittedly around 4-5 of these were kills I wouldn't have deserved as such but the rest felt like they had been pinched from me.

Eh it's a team based match that's a lot more about cooperation than most others does it really matter. At least you presumably won the match. Last Titan is just as much about whittling down enemy lives so another member of your team somewhere can get the kills. Some weapons/perks are better at scoring kills than others that doesn't mean choosing to use the weapons harder to kill you aren't equally helping your team.

It's nice but it's never been my priority to score Titan kills, wining matches were always more important to me. Of course if this game had proper rankings it would be more important.

lentini

Wow, really came down to the buzzer. When you saw that achievement pop it was like this wasn't it:
f7mgB.gif

It was more like this:

gJhDb8N.gif

I still get a "Titanfall has encountered an error and needs to be closed"-type message when I shut down the game and return to Windows. It doesn't affect Origin, and the sync still takes place in the background. I wonder why that is, am I running out of memory or something? I have 4gb ram, so I wouldn't have thought so. The game itself is fine, only happens when I turn it off. Hope a patch can get rid of this.

I get this too and have no idea why. In my case I highly doubt it's memory because I have 16 GB

Alx

Ditch the spectre cards, conscription, massive payload, spider sense and packet sniffer.

That's what I would do.

Are spectre cards even that useful ? The effect is funny, but even if you fool another player he'll try to shoot you anyway...
I never could hear the sound effect of "spider sense" either.

I rarely find myself in a situation with too many cards to spend, though, dying a lot helps burning them fast. :p

Pegasus Actual

Gold Member
ibxIpttWmvz83l.gif

I don't know what to do :(

Leave the fast learners, conscription, and spectre camo. Take the cannoli. Also obliterate a few lobbies with satellite uplink and when those are gone obliterate them with maphack.

Are spectre cards even that useful ? The effect is funny, but even if you fool another player he'll try to shoot you anyway...
I never could hear the sound effect of "spider sense" either.
The clunky footsteps with the spectre camo drive me nuts as well. Spider sense is actually pretty easy to hear once you know what you're listening for... BUT, its range seems to be slightly less than smart pistol range. So it is not going to help you at all in the open. I guess it can maybe be a 'prepare to be rodeod' warning when you're in your titan... but yeah, the card is a bit shit.

^ I hate using those uber cards because I always manage to waste it in a most dumbest way possible. Even if you manage to get 5-6 cheat-kills it still feels like you could've done better.

Ditch the spectre cards, conscription, massive payload, spider sense and packet sniffer.

That's what I would do.

But I love spectre card especially on Hardpoint where people just run past you towards a capture point. I once went something like 15-2 with it and only died because someone probably saw me wallrunning.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Leave the fast learners, conscription, and spectre camo. Take the cannoli. Also obliterate a few lobbies with satellite uplink and when those are gone obliterate them with maphack.

The clunky footsteps with the spectre camo drive me nuts as well. Spider sense is actually pretty easy to hear once you know what you're listening for... BUT, its range seems to be slightly less than smart pistol range. So it is not going to help you at all in the open. I guess it can maybe be a 'prepare to be rodeod' warning when you're in your titan... but yeah, the card is a bit shit.

Yeah just an annoying warning really. Whenever it tells me a pilot is near I'm like yeah I know I'm hunting that guy.

HelloMeow

Both cards could be great though. The spectre card would be awesome if it would hide your name and say "Spectre" instead.

Spider sense would be good if the frequency of the warnings would be once a second and if the volume would be tied to the range of the enemy. Like in Crysis 2 & 3, which has a similar feature.

Eh it's a team based match that's a lot more about cooperation than most others does it really matter. At least you presumably won the match. Last Titan is just as much about whittling down enemy lives so another member of your team somewhere can get the kills. Some weapons/perks are better at scoring kills than others that doesn't mean choosing to use the weapons harder to kill you aren't equally helping your team.

It's nice but it's never been my priority to score Titan kills, wining matches were always more important to me. Of course if this game had proper rankings it would be more important.

It was a kind-of-jokey comment on my part. I don't mind as long as we all chip in.

Coconut

Banned
I still get a "Titanfall has encountered an error and needs to be closed"-type message when I shut down the game and return to Windows. It doesn't affect Origin, and the sync still takes place in the background. I wonder why that is, am I running out of memory or something? I have 4gb ram, so I wouldn't have thought so. The game itself is fine, only happens when I turn it off. Hope a patch can get rid of this.

I'll get this message like every ten games or so.

Karl2177

Use the Spider Senses on Colony and go up the tower in the middle with the DMR or Kraber. Drop a mine at the bottom. 7+ k/d everytime.

TRios Zen

Got into a wall jumping fight with a smart pistol user last night and the player was good enough to keep moving from wall to wall while I chased. I land a few shots in the jumping around and when they turned back toward me I thought I had them for sure.

Died by the smart pistol and had to watch replay. NO way he kills me first with any other weapon - he managed to keep me in that wide reticule, but was almost never dead center on me. Now I was using the hemlock, so maybe with an automatic I would have gotten him first anyway, regardless it was the first time I felt cheap-shotted by the smart pistol.

That's what I would do.

Ditto, I actually find echo vision etc to be more of a hindrance than a help as it is distracting to what is immediately in front of you.

People who try to use the Kraber against a good team should be taken down pretty quickly, if you don't the other team simply aren't doing their job. It would be different if there was no kill cam... but there is.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Got into a wall jumping fight with a smart pistol user last night and the player was good enough to keep moving from wall to wall while I chased. I land a few shots in the jumping around and when they turned back toward me I thought I had them for sure.

Died by the smart pistol and had to watch replay. NO way he kills me first with any other weapon - he managed to keep me in that wide reticule, but was almost never dead center on me. Now I was using the hemlock, so maybe with an automatic I would have gotten him first anyway, regardless it was the first time I felt cheap-shotted by the smart pistol.

TBF that is kind of point of it ideally weapons shouldn't be carbon copies of each other certain weapons should be better than others in certain situation. Open short range high mobility encounters with significant movement by both players is where smart pistol excels, add in more obstacle's and the balance moves the other way (assuming lag doesn't screw you over).

I rather weapons become more unique and distinct rather than usual 3-4 useful weapons.

Karl2177

Jokes on you. I periodically shoot a couple of 40mm rounds towards that tower to see if someone is camping up there.
So far the only thing that has killed me up there has been cluster missiles. There was one time someone fired a rocket volley at me and it didn't kill me. Not sure why, but I'll take it.

Coconut

Banned
I thought those made you harder to kill. Or at least that's what I thought with the little quite they had. Something along the lines of, "You're not discarding your humanity, just your human frailty."

When I used it I didn't notice a difference like that. All I noticed is that it makes a robot noise when you move, (annoying) you just look like a robot on the radar and in active radar and your model looks like a robot to the other players. It has some tactical advantages but I'd rather make room for unlimited grenade cards or a Titan card or something REALLY worth while.

Full mini map is pretty dumb as well.

hoyalawya

I wonder if I'm slowly getting the hang of this. I managed a match yesterday where I went 12-2 K:D on pilot hunter. Had another game where I had 5 pilot kills and 11 assists - bloody kill stealers ;-)

To put it in context, my lifetime K:D vs. pilots is 0.5.

We Spurs fan are alike. Mine is 0.6.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Haven't had the chance to play a single match this week, and I am feeling it. This feels so much like my early days with Halo 2, I'm flabbergasted. Miiiight be binging this weekend, getting to 50 at the very least.

If anyone wants a copilot that hasn't added me, TheHawkian on Origin and happy to use the GAF Mumble over in-game chat.

TRios Zen

TBF that is kind of point of it ideally weapons shouldn't be carbon copies of each other certain weapons should be better than others in certain situation. Open short range high mobility encounters with significant movement by both players is where smart pistol excels, add in more obstacle's and the balance moves the other way (assuming lag doesn't screw you over).

I rather weapons become more unique and distinct rather than usual 3-4 useful weapons.

I agree that each weapon should have it's own flavor, makes using them unique. In fact I really enjoy the three shot burst of the Hemlock and while I know the carbine is superior in just about every situation, the Hemlock is still my go to gun. The advantage that the Smart Pistol gave the other player in that situation did feel cheap to me though.

That being said, I don't HATE the smart pistol or all that use it. I generally find that I die to smart pistol users who attack me from behind and the end result would have been the same with any other gun.

tauke

Been abusing mine arc for the past few matches and it is good to deter enemy from taking over a hardpoint.

Is there any way other than a grenade to destroy satchel and arc mine?

Principate

Saint Titanfall
I agree that each weapon should have it's own flavor, makes using them unique. In fact I really enjoy the three shot burst of the Hemlock and while I know the carbine is superior in just about every situation, the Hemlock is still my go to gun. The advantage that the Smart Pistol gave the other player in that situation did feel cheap to me though.

That being said, I don't HATE the smart pistol or all that use it. I generally find that I die to smart pistol users who attack me from behind and the end result would have been the same with any other gun.

I can understand that, honestly just wish ADS was significantly decreased on all weapons it would even out that advantage, and make a lot more weapons more interesting to play.

Game is still shackled by CoD gameplay that in many ways doesn't fit with it's increased movement which ideally should be fixed in this game but at least the next.

Coconut

Banned
Been abusing mine arc for the past few matches and it is good to deter enemy from taking over a hardpoint.

I I was doing this last night but kept replenishing them by getting in my Titan laying some mines and repeating on all the hard points random kill notifications all up on my screen it was so rad.

Vitor711

I feel like you should get points for assists. I know you get XP, but no actual match points which is annoying. I don't want to have an amazing 1v1 with a Titan only to have my team mate clinch that final hit while I'm reloading.

Just increase the limit for a win again and start giving out points for assists, that way I don't feel like I'm being cheated out of my hard work.

I would really, really like to see how Titanfall fares without ADS (bar sniper I suppose). I feel as though it's an instinct - rightclick, leftclick, or left trigger, right trigger - that isn't really in keeping with the game's run-and-gun theme. I've practically forgotten what it's like not to peer down a gun barrel in someone's direction. Titanfall could have been the game to break away from that, I'm still hoping it might.

Archpath1

I would really, really like to see how Titanfall fares without ADS (bar sniper I suppose). I feel as though it's an instinct - rightclick, leftclick, or left trigger, right trigger - that isn't really in keeping with the game's run-and-gun theme. I've practically forgotten what it's like not to peer down a gun barrel in someone's direction. Titanfall could have been the game to break away from that, I'm still hoping it might.
They add in a hip fire only mode, seriously i still die even adsing with the drop on then only to be hipfired down, why even have ads, trying to break the habit

Hey Respawn: what does the game do about people leaving the game right before they're about to lose and what happens when them doing that kicks me out of the game when in about to get a whole bunch of XP?

Blu10

Just use the CAR with counterweight

Coconut

Banned

Fast learner is clutch for leveling. I wish I was getting more XP related cards.

NukeLaser

The Smart Pistol locks on to enemy ordinance. Made me love the little thing even more when I found that out.

So are you guys getting burnt out yet?

Do you feel this game has staying power?

I still feel it has staying power , but that could be because life gotten in the way of me actually playing it. ive played it about 4 times since i got it (the first time being a week after i purchased it)

Combined with PvZ:GW? Hell yeah. I think if people are getting bored of Titanfall, then they need to check out PvZ as a palette cleanser so they can appreciate Titanfall that much more.

Titanfall alone might not have as much staying power though considering the options are still very limited. We need more modes and settings to mess with; Custom Games, possibly a Theater mode, just more in general.

boinx

After 10 hours I ain't feeling that itch. I'll be going back at some point but Dark Souls 2 has completely absorbed me.

But at this point I can't say for sure if this game has that addictive nature for me. Tbh I even enjoyed Shadow Fall's MP better, at least basing on the hours I spent on that game.

tauke

The Smart Pistol locks on to enemy ordinance. Made me love the little thing even more when I found that out.

Oh yeah totally forgot about the smart pistol auto lock. But I rarely use smart pistol in Hardpoint matches though.

I still enjoy the game although if Respawn think the matchmaking system is already decent, at least please do autobalance. Nobody like to start a match of 3 vs 6 at the beginning of a match and only slowly insert other players like 2 or 3 mins into the match.

The generations will definitely make you get your money worth. For me they're much much much much better than a garbage campaign. They introduce the weapons and force you into playing the game a different way.

While 50 gooser kills may be overkill (especially on console), the 5 is too little of a requirement to help you learn the valuable skill of gooser killing. In Pilot Hunter and LTS, those types of kills are invaluable.

If they can get matchmaking better (the current mm beta is a good sign), then it has the capability to stay. This game differs itself enough from Counterstrike while still offering skill gaps that determine good play. Knowing the map layout, traversal, domination strategy, metagame, different weapons for 6v6 team battles. There's a lot here that's still to uncover as the initial game settles down and veterans are left.

NH Apache

Banned
When I used it I didn't notice a difference like that. All I noticed is that it makes a robot noise when you move, (annoying) you just look like a robot on the radar and in active radar and your model looks like a robot to the other players. It has some tactical advantages but I'd rather make room for unlimited grenade cards or a Titan card or something REALLY worth while.

Full mini map is pretty dumb as well.

So, everytime i use one of the unlimited grenade cards, I try to spam like crazy but only throw like 2 or 3 before I'm out. Is there a cooldown or something?

Also, did my first gen couple nights ago. I feel like I learned a lot and my points/xp has been much higher since my gen, more than just the 10 percent. i was averaging 30-40 last gen and now I'm 60-80 in attrition. It's great.

Also, shottie4lif.

Edit: VV Thanks.

I went for over 100 Attrition points last night!

Nobody from Respawn will answer my tweets and none of the guys on here have answered yet either, but will we ever get a friends and lobby leader board? Or will we get Clan tags?

I believe that's a reason that the games are lopsided at times. You have 6 people parties that are clans grouped together. They need to make another lobby for Clans. I'm not sure why a game like this isn't integrated with Clan stuff. It amazes me. Same with the stats stuff.

Ont

It has staying power as long as they don't start pumping out new sequels every year.

I think it would be wiser to build on success of this game, with plenty of DLC content and continuous improvements over course of next few years. Borderlands 2 approach is better for the community than the way how Activision is splitting the community every year with a new CoD title.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom