• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Titanfall |OT| Titan Online. Signal When Ready.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coconut

Banned
I'll get back to you after I'm done having this heart attack

I'm being hyperbolic but to compare the mechanics of counter strike to TF is silly. TF is all about movement and inspiring people to move about the maps. Allowing people to move while still being aware on their surroundings and refine the percussion of their shooting is important and learning when to go down sights and when not to is an important mechanic to learn. Makes the game more robust.

Jito

Banned
The game had matchmaking at launch. It didn't work as well as we would have liked. Now we're fixing it.

Matchmaking is a particularly tricky issue to iterate on with an unreleased game, because you don't have a large sample size to base decisions on.

Thanks for the response. Really though the game didn't have matchmaking at launch seeing as I was getting put into games with people well below my rank constantly and suffering because of it.

I don't think Bungie had anything to iterate on seeing as it was there first online title, still managed to nail it right out the door and have been copied ever since. You should copy it as well, match high rank players with other high rank players.

Argonomic

holy crap thats bad. what platform? i play on PC and have never seen this but depending on what server im on i noticed that the game performance differently. like on the right server i get 60fps on every map and on a bad one i get some crazy stuttering. so much for azure being the holy savior of online multiplayer

When you say a "bad one", do you mean you see stuttering during low-intensity gameplay?

I've tried setting everything to low or off and I even tried running the game in 720p. I'm still not getting decent performance after 1 match. I've tried a ton of things... some reason the beta ran better than the retail product for me... despite having the same hardware. Just did a virus check and nothing came up. I disabled anti-virus and checked my background processes.

WJD

Major problems trying to connect to matchmaking on XBO at the moment. Got into one game in about 10 tries and it was leggy as fuck.

Linius

Well hello Titanfall Gaf, I joined on PC. I must say that intro with all the controls was a lot to take in so it will take some getting used. Just played my first game but it seems the servers are pretty terrible at the moment since it took me some time to get trough the matchmaking at first. But I had fun, made a few kills and managed to kill a titan too. It wasn't really clear to me which of the dudes were NPCs but I noticed that four of my nine kills were NPCs in the stats afterwards :p

Looking forward to playing this some more in the coming weeks ^^

Pegasus Actual

Gold Member
Surprised there are so many complaints about the charge rifle challenge. First of all it's only 30. And you have constant opportunities to make the shots. You can get them across the map on targets of opportunity. And even if you're not caught up in a convenient titan fight where you can take some shots it's stupidly easy to take out a titan's shields with arc grenades. And the greatest bonus of all, when you're charging up your shot, sometimes you catch glimpse of a sniper and you get to make him explode. Also it's just a stupidly effective anti-titan weapon. Pair it with an active radar pulse and line up titans through walls. With a little practice you can drive the other team nuts while barely exposing yourself. The amped version of the charge rifle is amazing as well.

And to say it's worse than Gooser? That's just plain crazy. Gooser you are almost completely at the mercy of opposing players. Maybe it was easier for people who knocked it out in the first week where everyone was a noob and just ejected straight up without cloaking or something. While doing gooser I had legit runs of over 2 hours where I didn't get a single one even though I was completely focused on getting them. Doesn't matter what you do, oh you just 1v2ed a couple of titans with the crappy chaingun? Well too bad, first guy refused to eject, went down with his ship, and second guy just exited normally because he thought he could rodeo you or something. Or maybe he saw the Gen 5 tag and decided to troll you a bit.

b0bbyJ03

When you say a "bad one", do you mean you see stuttering during low-intensity gameplay?

yes, just random stuttering. doesn't matter if its low intensity or there are many things going on. i just get stuttering the entire time on on the server. I usually quite and join a new game to fix the problem.

E92 M3

Surprised there are so many complaints about the charge rifle challenge. First of all it's only 30. And you have constant opportunities to make the shots. You can get them across the map on targets of opportunity. And even if you're not caught up in a convenient titan fight where you can take some shots it's stupidly easy to take out a titan's shields with arc grenades. And the greatest bonus of all, when you're charging up your shot, sometimes you catch glimpse of a sniper and you get to make him explode. Also it's just a stupidly effective anti-titan weapon. Pair it with an active radar pulse and line up titans through walls. With a little practice you can drive the other team nuts while barely exposing yourself. The amped version of the charge rifle is amazing as well.

And to say it's worse than Gooser? That's just plain crazy. Gooser you are almost completely at the mercy of opposing players. Maybe it was easier for people who knocked it out in the first week where everyone was a noob and just ejected straight up without cloaking or something. While doing gooser I had legit runs of over 2 hours where I didn't get a single one even though I was completely focused on getting them. Doesn't matter what you do, oh you just 1v2ed a couple of titans with the crappy chaingun? Well too bad, first guy refused to eject, went down with his ship, and second guy just exited normally because he thought he could rodeo you or something. Or maybe he saw the Gen 5 tag and decided to troll you a bit.

Exactly charge rifle works on doomed titans so it's not bad at all. And the reason Gooser is broken is due to the luck required to have ejecting pilots killing them is not that hard I can do it on ever ejection mostly. The fact they weren't ejecting is the issue. Nonetheless, I'm happy it's resolved and we can move it.

Just speaking from my experience: was getting 1-3 gooser kills a game with the occasional 0. Meanwhile, I'd doom three or four titans and not get a crit shot in consecutive games.

I'm not necessarily saying one is harder than the other, just that one was more frustrating to me. The Charge rifle only fires when charged, so your opportunity for 2 seconds or so is dependent upon a very short amount of time, where an enemy could arc you, a titan could shift suddenly, etc etc. Gooser, while getting the pilot to eject could be annoying, once they have ejected you've got a good couple of seconds to hit 'em in the air. Child's play and your own damn fault.

Maybe I just didn't play against nearly any auto-titans either while doing the charge rifle challenge. I got very few, and when I did face them they got eliminated quickly by my teammates so a doomed titan was not 'crit city'.

There's nothing more frustrating then the rodeo challenge where you get a titan from 100% to 1% health before getting punched or electric smoked or whatever.

ChawlieTheFair

pip pip cheerio you slags!
What is like a standard KDR for the game? Trying to judge whether i'm actually good or not.

I feel like I've finally got a good grasp of the mechanics and strategies, find i'm playing consistently well.

2San

What is like a standard KDR for the game? Trying to judge whether i'm actually good or not.

I feel like I've finally got a good grasp of the mechanics and strategies, find i'm playing consistently well.
Imma gonna take a wild guess here and going to say a KDR of 1. ;)

Wait, so the charge rifle shoots through walls? Mind = blown if true.

Also the Gen 4 challenges have opened me up to the quad rocket. Its great. It can take down a Titan so fast if you hit it consistently. Does anyone use the rapid fire? I have to admit it feels incredible to pelt an opponent with a shit load of rockets as fast as I can tap fire, but I wonder what the damage is like? Sometimes it seems weak.

Mesoian

Wait, so the charge rifle shoots through walls? Mind = blown if true.

Also the Gen 4 challenges have opened me up to the quad rocket. Its great. It can take down a Titan so fast if you hit it consistently. Does anyone use the rapid fire? I have to admit it feels incredible to pelt an opponent with a shit load of rockets as fast as I can tap fire, but I wonder what the damage is like? Sometimes it seems weak.

...Wait, really? The rail gun?

Bessy67

Man, I really want to love hardpoint but my random teammates are just so absolutely retarded that it sucks all the fun out of it. They all end up getting their titans and stay in them the entire match while the other team just completely ignores them and controls the hardpoints. I'm stuck running around capping one after another since everyone else on my team usually refuses to do so thereby leaving the point I just captured undefended while I try to get another. I've been consistently getting a 2500 assault score in losing efforts.

/rant

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
The railgun is a titan weapon, the charge rifle is an anti-titan weapon.

If it's consistently greater than 1 then you're consistently playing well in attrition :p

I love the scope on this Burn Card rifle:

iblxdgOOxdMvB8.gif

Bydobob

Well, after 2 days of so-called burn-out I'm back playing again. Match-making seems a little better but still not there yet. Had to quit after a 300-93 thrashing in Attrition because I felt sorry for the other team. Poor suckers, none of them had the sense to leave themselves.

As I'm looking to gen up to level 3 I've been using a lot of the shotgun and it's crazy how it changes your tactics. Gone from stimming myself to the eyeballs and wall-hopping with the carbine to cloaking from room to room. Both equally effective, viable strategies but the latter feels quite sneaky.

Anyway, I encountered a couple of invincibility bugs with the shotty. One Spectre wouldn't die, and another pilot was able to eat 3 facefulls of lead without taking damage (confirmed by the opponent icon showing 100% health). Never had this with any other weapon.

While on the subject of bugs has anyone else encountered instant Titan death? Had it a few days ago with the Stryder where I had full shield and health then died (including pilot) from what looked like a melee from behind. I put it down to crazy lag but the same thing happened to my Ogre today with a good, wired connection. Again, punch from behind. Also had a glitch where I've gone to rip out a pilot only for the animation to show me getting ripped out! Each of these occurrences were when the battlefield was really busy, so I guess the game got lost in all the calculations.

Oh, and people saying to ditch their Spectre camo cards I disagree strongly. Had some of my best successes pretending to be a spectre, you'd be surprised how many people run straight past you.

So are you guys getting burnt out yet?

Do you feel this game has staying power?

Once I got to 50 I dropped the game and haven't touched it since. It was fun for a short burst but I got bored of it fairly quickly. It doesn't feel different enough and Shooter Fatigue is already crazy strong.

Pegasus Actual

Gold Member
Just speaking from my experience: was getting 1-3 gooser kills a game with the occasional 0. Meanwhile, I'd doom three or four titans and not get a crit shot in consecutive games.

I'm not necessarily saying one is harder than the other, just that one was more frustrating to me. The Charge rifle only fires when charged, so your opportunity for 2 seconds or so is dependent upon a very short amount of time, where an enemy could arc you, a titan could shift suddenly, etc etc. Gooser, while getting the pilot to eject could be annoying, once they have ejected you've got a good couple of seconds to hit 'em in the air. Child's play and your own damn fault.

Maybe I just didn't play against nearly any auto-titans either while doing the charge rifle challenge. I got very few, and when I did face them they got eliminated quickly by my teammates so a doomed titan was not 'crit city'.

There's nothing more frustrating then the rodeo challenge where you get a titan from 100% to 1% health before getting punched or electric smoked or whatever.
I don't think the rodeo challenge will be too bad, but I'm waiting on getting my Spitfire Slammer before taking it on.

I completely disagree with you still on the gooser and charge rifle thing. Keep in mind the most common scenario for an ejecting pilot is for him to immediately cloak where you might catch a glimpse of him if he hits the jump button, at the cost of his trajectory changing making it a much more difficult shot. I've had games with 8+ titan kills, plus keeping an eye on other titan fights to hit ejecting pilots without having a single legit goosing opportunity. All you need to hit a charge rifle shot on your own is for the enemy to have a titan. That's it. The titan that everyone will get on a timer, or the titan that everyone has at the start of an LTS match.

As far as I can tell your frustrations with the charge rifle can be more or less fixed by not pointing the charging charge rifle at enemy titans while they happen to be looking directly at you. Child's play. Your own damned fault.

2San

Once I got to 50 I dropped the game and haven't touched it since. It was fun for a short burst but I got bored of it fairly quickly. It doesn't feel different enough and Shooter Fatigue is already crazy strong.
Yeah, at least for solo sessions I'm done with the game. I have put in 43 hours in the game, so it was a great purchase for me.

Trying to get into Dota 2 now, Titanfall really made me crave team based MP games (since TF is lacking in that aspect).

As far as I can tell your frustrations with the charge rifle can be more or less fixed by not pointing the charging charge rifle at enemy titans while they happen to be looking directly at you. Child's play. Your own damned fault.

Actually 99% of that was when they had no clue I existed...

it's probably just random bad luck where my shots, which doomed titans, missed the crit hit by a pixel or two. And the part that you hit auto-titans all the time. If I had hit a bunch of autotitans, it would have been childs play.

Gooser was done in a day for me without a whole lot of effort. Surprisingly easy. Even cloaked pilots you can see the exhaust from their jetpack 1/2 the time. On console I could see this being more of a problem

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
Exactly charge rifle works on doomed titans so it's not bad at all. And the reason Gooser is broken is due to the luck required to have ejecting pilots killing them is not that hard I can do it on ever ejection mostly. The fact they weren't ejecting is the issue. Nonetheless, I'm happy it's resolved and we can move it.

Are you sure you're not seeing them eject due to cloak? I really question that the majority of your opponents are just sitting in their doomed titans and dying. At least one guy in every match I'm in uses thenuclear ejection as well.

Pegasus Actual

Gold Member
Gooser was done in a day for me without a whole lot of effort. Surprisingly easy. Even cloaked pilots you can see the exhaust from their jetpack 1/2 the time. On console I could see this being more of a problem
I think the generation took me about 22 hours of in-game play time (as measured by the time challenges). For almost all of it I was actively hunting geese. Yeah you can see the jetpack for a couple of seconds when they jump. And maybe even hit them, but if you get nailed by a an archer rocket or another titan while taking or lining up the shot, that goose is getting away. Not to mention all the ejections that happen indoors, or just where some level geometry happens to get in the way of your shot.

Some of the geese attempts are just so frustrating. Spot a dome-shielded titan on Overlook. See the pilot running to it, ok, could gun him down... but no. This is an opportunity. I need to let him get into his titan first. Ok, so he gets in, fight one on one, well, i'm winning, he's about to hit doomed, but no wait, he is running inside the hanger... Ok... chase him into the hanger. He's not leaving. Don't want to unleash the kill shot. Ok, well I'll keep his shields low. Ok, my shields are getting low, he's hitting me with 40mm cannon.. I know I'll run away... and let him pound away at my backside finishing off my armor while I lead him outside. Ok, I'm almost dead, but he's back outside and I'm about to doom him again. Oh crap, I'm down to ten rounds on my chaingun, that won't do, better reload before I finish him. Ok I'm reloaded. Time to finish him off. Ok, boom he is doomed, time to eject bro. Hey wait... friendly Stryder? Where did you come from? Hey what the hell are you doing?!? No that's a goose, not an orange! No. Don't! Why!?!?!?!?!

And back to the drawing board.

Did you do gooser like in the first week of the game? I have a hard time believing anyone can easily knock it out in one evening of playing in the current game environment. You'd need non-stop lobbies of noobs and morons.

Are you sure you're not seeing them eject due to cloak? I really question that the majority of your opponents are just sitting in their doomed titans and dying. At least one guy in every match I'm in uses thenuclear ejection as well.
I imagine anyone that's gotten gooser knows the eject animation pretty well. Nuclear ejection is kind of a pain as well, between all that light polluting the screen and some of the skyboxes having all sorts of crazy colors and shit flying around it's pretty easy to miss a pilot sometimes, especially a cloaked one.

E92 M3

Majority of the time I kill the nuke ones, but more often than not people just get out normally these days.

Salsa

gotta say tho: im surprised at how barebones it is

the gameplay is there and it's enough to make it worth your while, but with super fast level progression and absolutely NO customization (plus rather bland, and very few weapons/attachments) it does feel rather.. disappointing in that aspect

I think Titanfall 2 is gonna be the real shit

Slixshot

Banned
gotta say tho: im surprised at how barebones it is

the gameplay is there and it's enough to make it worth your while, but with super fast level progression and absolutely NO customization (plus rather bland, and very few weapons/attachments) it does feel rather.. disappointing in that aspect

I think Titanfall 2 is gonna be the real shit

Can't wait to play it on PS4!

Woo-Fu

Banned
Definitely a work in progress.

dLHmO5f.jpg

The team on the left had 2 people in a party, the rest were solo queuing. We played ~10 matches without it splitting us up.

Obscured

Definitely a work in progress.

dLHmO5f.jpg

The team on the left had 2 people in a party, the rest were solo queuing. We played ~10 matches without it splitting us up.

Were your matches lopsided? I played about 4 matches in the beta playlist solo and while I was on the winning team each time the matches were relatively close. I think around 35-25 points difference as opposed to some of the other matches I played.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Were your matches lopsided? I played about 4 matches in the beta playlist solo and while I was on the winning team each time the matches were relatively close. I think around 35-25 points difference as opposed to some of the other matches I played.

Even with me getting only 1-2 pilot kills because I was attempting to use the DMR for challenges and failing we still won handily most rounds. Near the end of that run it did give us some real competition with an entirely different team.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom