• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Titanfall |OT| Titan Online. Signal When Ready.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coconut

Banned
So, everytime i use one of the unlimited grenade cards, I try to spam like crazy but only throw like 2 or 3 before I'm out. Is there a cooldown or something?

Also, did my first gen couple nights ago. I feel like I learned a lot and my points/xp has been much higher since my gen, more than just the 10 percent. i was averaging 30-40 last gen and now I'm 60-80 in attrition. It's great.

Also, shottie4lif.

Edit: VV Thanks.

Yes. There is a cool down period.

I really think last titan standing is a good alternative to search and destroy(Minus the bomb plant angle). I hope there is some kind of Assassination game type though, that'll be super fun I think...

Fucking Charge Rifle Critical Hits.

hoh boy, that one sucked. More frustrating than both the Rodeo and Gooser challenges imo.

You SWEAR you got like ten critical hits. That match you doomed six titans and was beast-moding, top of the team and helping out your mates. And then...your challenge increments by one. ;lksajdf;laskjf ;laskn;as lkjfnwerunvjcnvzjkxhviuernurnugheurhhvdjnvam

antitrop

hoh boy, that one sucked. More frustrating than both the Rodeo and Gooser challenges imo.

You SWEAR you got like ten critical hits. That match you doomed six titans and was beast-moding, top of the team and helping out your mates. And then...your challenge increments by one. ;lksajdf;laskjf ;laskn;as lkjfnwerunvjcnvzjkxhviuernurnugheurhhvdjnvam

I've finished all of the other Generation 4 Challenges and I have 0 Critical Hits with the Charge Rifle...

Yes, it's a huge pain in the ass.

HelloMeow

So the game let me call in my titan on one of the highest parts of boneyard. There was an invisible wall that wouldn't let me go down.

I'm not sure if it was an advantage or a disadvantage.

iPWQbDREYRmIj.gif

i2xrlfVyqntJi.gif

i09IuZ3rFlIJJ.gif

Jito

Banned
Great an all that they're doing this beta matchmaking but when can we expect it to replace the normal shitty "matchmaking". I can't stand Attriction so don't want to be stuck playing that just so I get some balanced games for once.

Fantastic that they're doing this but why wasn't in the game at launch? I hate game development these days that revolves around "put it out and then fix it later". Never had problems getting balanced games on Halo 2 back in the day and that basically invented the console matchmaking system, how hard can it be?

Spartix

I have been having an absolute blast with this game I seriously cannot get enough of it. Haven't had this much fun since MW2. Only real gripes with it are the fact that CTF is pretty unbalanced considering titans can carry flags. Also has there been any word on a potential mode that has no burn cards? Don't get me wrong I love the burn card system but I'm curious to see a more competitive mode that does away with them completely.

Jump in the live matchmaking beta! Post your match scores and experience.

For me so far tonight:
Game 3: (I joined a game in progress)
255 / 300

New opponents.
Game 1:
300 / ~268

Game 2:
300 / 186 (They lost a player early and didn't get a new one until after the match ended).

Game 3:
300 / 284

Searching for new opponents..
Game 1:
298 / 300

Game 2:
300 / 207 (They lost players during the match and then the scores separated)
My games today in the beta playlist:
1. 300 - 271
2. 300 - 224
3. 300 - 233
4. 300 - 244
5. 300 - 273
6. 300 - 259.

I feel like I'm playing worse players. Only lost one game out of that six (it was the last one).

Izuna

Banned
1. 300 - 271
2. 300 - 224
3. 300 - 233
4. 300 - 244
5. 300 - 273
6. 300 - 259.

I feel like I'm playing worse players. Only lost one game out of that six (it was the last one).

Do you play on Xbox? I haven't tried Beta Matchmaking yet as I'm trying to do these STUPID CTF wins.

HoodWinked

Fucking Charge Rifle Critical Hits.

that one was alright, i think theres some issue with the hitbox or something because there are times where my aim is dead with shields down but i didnt get a critical hit.

in hidesight though that was a joke compared to 50 gooser kills which they're going to nerf down to only 5.

Izuna

Banned
that one was alright, i think theres some issue with the hitbox or something because there are times where my aim is dead with shields down but i didnt get a critical hit.

in hidesight though that was a joke compared to 50 gooser kills which they're going to nerf down to only 5.

I got it in about an hour because you can just do it on Doomed Titans over and over again. Not sure why people complain about this one...

gooser was difficult, but not absolutely frustrating like the situation you noted above. I definitely took longer for gooser, but I felt more accomplished when finishing it. The 5 nerf is too low (maybe 20 would be better?) though. That Charge Rifle crit hit just made me mad.

HoodWinked

I got it in about an hour because you can just do it on Doomed Titans over and over again. Not sure why people complain about this one...

if you go into last titan standing and you see a bunch of gen5 then yes its difficult... and really question 'in an hour'. do you just speak in complete hyperbole?

Ont

I have been having an absolute blast with this game I seriously cannot get enough of it. Haven't had this much fun since MW2. Only real gripes with it are the fact that CTF is pretty unbalanced considering titans can carry flags. Also has there been any word on a potential mode that has no burn cards? Don't get me wrong I love the burn card system but I'm curious to see a more competitive mode that does away with them completely.

I'm fine with titans being able to carry flags, however titans being able to return and pick up flags is annoying. I feel CTF would be much better in Titanfall if pilots would have to exit their titans first in order to return and pick up flags.

Chasing a flag carrier can be really intense in this game, but too many times it ends in really lame way when a titan simply walks over the flag-carrier and instantly returns the flag.

With the better match making, you will still get some games where you win and win by a lot. I'm sure most of the matchmaking is just done by player rank, and there are people highly ranked who just refuse to play to the objectives of a mode and do not care if their team loses, only if they have a high kill:death ratio.

So, you'll still get those 300 to 180, 300 to 150, 400 to 90 (Hardpoint), etc., but the point is that it's less likely that you'll get 10 games in a row of 400 to 90. I had a lot of great games in Hardpoint before balancing, but part of that was that my friends and I are lower ranked (no prestige), but play to the objectives very well... so We'll usually beat teams with a lot of high level players who aren't as coordinated.

HoodWinked

I'm fine with titan being able to carry flags, however titans being able to return and pick up flags is annoying. I feel CTF would be much better in Titanfall if pilots would have to exit their titans in order to return and pick up flags.

Chasing a flag carrier can be really intense in this game, but too many times it ends in really lame way when a titan simply walks over the flag-carrier and instantly returns the flag.

respawn doesnt do things without reason they wouldnt overlook something like this. my thinking is CTF games can turn into these really turtley games, by letting titans carry the flag it speeds up the match and makes it more advantageous to be offensive. im sure they play tested pilot only flags.

TrueGrime

1. 300 - 271
2. 300 - 224
3. 300 - 233
4. 300 - 244
5. 300 - 273
6. 300 - 259.

Playing with a party or just jumping into random games?

The Jer

I've already said it.... but, I enjoy the new matchmaking lobby more than any other lobby. The game is just much more fun to play. I've had the most fun in there.

They add in a hip fire only mode, seriously i still die even adsing with the drop on then only to be hipfired down, why even have ads, trying to break the habit

No, I mean have a game mode or even make a change to the core game. Eliminate ADS altogether either in certain matches or in the game. (I think the CAR/counterweight thing is going to be very difficult to get used to for me.) Obviously such a change is crazy and way too big for them to undertake, but I would like to see it and I think they had the opportunity to make that departure with this game.

Just use the CAR with counterweight

Unlocked it recently, looking forward to comparing it to the default SMG.

Ahhh that reminds me, the same night I had the crazy number of flag defences was also I think only my second time playing CTF, and after getting wrecked in a couple of games, I made a clutch capture all on my own to win in the last fifteen seconds, jumping past titans and everything. It was glorious. I'm never that guy who saves the team, but I was that once. And it felt so good.

Coconut

Banned
With the better match making, you will still get some games where you win and win by a lot. I'm sure most of the matchmaking is just done by player rank, and there are people highly ranked who just refuse to play to the objectives of a mode and do not care if their team loses, only if they have a high kill:death ratio.

So, you'll still get those 300 to 180, 300 to 150, 400 to 90 (Hardpoint), etc., but the point is that it's less likely that you'll get 10 games in a row of 400 to 90. I had a lot of great games in Hardpoint before balancing, but part of that was that my friends and I are lower ranked (no prestige), but play to the objectives very well... so We'll usually beat teams with a lot of high level players who aren't as coordinated.

Match making can't take into account the randomness of just simply having a bad round, but it can boost the odds that your team won't lose or be part of a streak of loses.

Izuna

Banned
if you go into last titan standing and you see a bunch of gen5 then yes its difficult... and really question 'in an hour'. do you just speak in complete hyperbole?

Definitely closer than an hour than an hour and a half. Some guy who was Gen 5 jumped out of his Titan and I killed him, took it out and kept shooting after it was doomed. Got about 5/6 hits and that's just one round.

When it comes to the challenges I played in such a way that I got most of them done quickly. Rodeo kills took longer imo.

antitrop

Game would have been better without any ADS at all.

At least the Shotgun and CAR are remarkably effective without using ADS, but that kind of gameplay mechanic just does not belong in a shooter as fast-paced as this one.

Argonomic

Great an all that they're doing this beta matchmaking but when can we expect it to replace the normal shitty "matchmaking". I can't stand Attriction so don't want to be stuck playing that just so I get some balanced games for once.

Fantastic that they're doing this but why wasn't in the game at launch? I hate game development these days that revolves around "put it out and then fix it later". Never had problems getting balanced games on Halo 2 back in the day and that basically invented the console matchmaking system, how hard can it be?

The game had matchmaking at launch. It didn't work as well as we would have liked. Now we're fixing it.

Matchmaking is a particularly tricky issue to iterate on with an unreleased game, because you don't have a large sample size to base decisions on.

Coconut

Banned

At least the Shotgun and CAR are remarkably effective without using ADS, but that kind of gameplay mechanic just does not belong in a shooter as fast-paced as this one.

But how are you supposed to kill some dip shit standing on a roof like a dummy without ads?

b0bbyJ03

I think so too. Can't wait to get the counterweight and try to train myself away from ADSing all the time.

The carbine feels useless without ADS. Maybe they should just make it a mechanic specific to some guns. The smart pistol is certainly not benefiting from ADS, I can't hit anything with that sight.

char0n

Don't tell me people are already getting bored, I'm just getting started! Going to be playing this a LOT more after a (in retrospect, super obvious) fix for the issue I had with game loads (took over a minute to go from the lobby to load into an actual match, and 50% of the time it kicked me out due to timeout anyway)... I reluctantly set the texture quality down to very-high from insane, and now the game loads very snapily (less than 30 seconds) AND seems to have completely eliminated the other load-related issue I got (random stutters/complete stops as various assets loaded like getting into a titan for the first time or going to far off edges of a map), plus seems to be netting me a locked 60fps framerate with vsync. Way more playable now. On the minus side, there are some jarringly very ugly "very high" textures right in the dropship when you start a campaign mission (like worse than I'd expect from medium settings), but once in a match I don't really notice that much and the performance boost more than makes up for it.

I'm really digging the gunplay and parkour now, though I started looking at unlocks I want and they seem so far a way for someone like me who on average can only get in a match or two every 2-3 days excluding weekends if I don't already have other plans/obligations (being old sucks for gaming). It'll get a lot more time once I finish my other gaming distractions (platinum Inf:SS, beat the MG:GZ side missions) but yeah I've had this game for almost a week and am only level 6 due to only playing 4 total actual matches. Unless there's a reward beyond "pretty badge" for prestiging/generation/whatever it sounds like, probably won't be doing that.

b0bbyJ03

So are you guys getting burnt out yet?

Do you feel this game has staying power?

Hard to say. I dont get the itch like I used to get from Halo, battlefield or even the first modern warfare game but by no means am I getting tired of it. I find that when im in the middle of a game and I pull of some crazy parkour maneuver its still feels awesome.

Hip Hop

So are you guys getting burnt out yet?

Do you feel this game has staying power?

Well, I haven't played in about a week.

Tried to play yesterday night or so, and there seemed to be no people playing Pilot Hunter, my favorite mode.

I'd suspect that this may be do to low player count. Tried Attritiion and found a match right away. I was out of that though.

Wouldn't surprise me if this game had less than 10,000 players at peak times, which is really low for a game like this. Just like COD PC numbers.

I'm sure it's way more popular on the Xbox One.

crazyprac

Wasn't burnt out but... Diablo is in my veins! Tbh I stopped playing infamous right before second power too but I have more itch to finish that than go back to TF. Maybe because when I sit down on PC its Diablo time!!

The Cowboy

I'm purposefully putting off the Diablo III Expansion so I can stay "into" Titanfall, but it is definitely calling my name...
Unfortunately I caved in already, I've been getting my WD to max level all day (I stopped playing him around a month after release) - man its so much fun now.

I'm coming back Titanfall baby, I'll be sure you play you at least an hour a day :D.

antitrop

Tbh I haven't played since original launch then was like yeah let me try loot 2.0 for shits and giggles.

Then my real life ended...

I've already tried it out with the new patch and had an absolute blast. I wasn't even planning on buying the expansion, but that did it for me. Between Dark Souls II on PC and Reaper of Souls, I will be doing a lot of dungeon diving next month.

crazyprac

Unfortunately I caved in already, I've been getting my WD to max level all day (I stopped playing him around a month after release) - man its so much fun now.

I'm coming back Titanfall baby, I'll be sure you play you at least an hour a day :D.

Dude the adventure and bounty runs -- that's what I call addiction. Can't stop rifting!

Edit: sorry got off topic. Back to RoS!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom