• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Titanfall |OT| Titan Online. Signal When Ready.

Status
Not open for further replies.

zou

There's way too much waiting in the game. Between the epilogue, load/connect times to lobby, 90s lobby timer (or more if people leave) and the match load time you're probably wasting a good 4-5m. If there's enough players online it's way faster to just leave the match and join a new party.

I would love for them to add a mode that skips all that garbage and goes straight to the next map after a match ends.

tm24

Improved?

9tM2HOM.jpg

Of all the annoying issues with matchmaking on XB1, thankfully this doesnt seem to be one I've seen. Is the player pool for PC significantly smaller?

feels like it. Sometimes I can't even find a hardpoint match. I doubt it's this bad on the euro/US servers, though. I miss all the Australians futzing about in our region.

molnizzle

After taking a break for about a week to play Infamous, the XB1 screen tearing is really bugging me. It's truly nasty shit. I haven't really followed Respawn since the game came out... have they said anything about possibly fixing that?

After taking a break for about a week to play Infamous, the XB1 screen tearing is really bugging me. It's truly nasty shit. I haven't really followed Respawn since the game came out... have they said anything about possibly fixing that?
I saw Titanfall for the first time today as my brother played, and when we saw the screen tearing our minds were blown.

Yeah Im not one to complain about IQ issues (gameplay/UI is far more important to me on balance)...but as much fun as I've had with this game it sure does look like shit. Regularly hitting single digit frame-rates during big firefights just adds insult to injury.

There's way too much waiting in the game. Between the epilogue, load/connect times to lobby, 90s lobby timer (or more if people leave) and the match load time you're probably wasting a good 4-5m. If there's enough players online it's way faster to just leave the match and join a new party.

I would love for them to add a mode that skips all that garbage and goes straight to the next map after a match ends.

This is hands down the most disruptive game out with the constant connecting and reconnecting. Black Ops II used to drive me up the wall with the lobby countdown restart and lobby matchmaking reshuffle if a single person exited the lobby, but 15-60 second connection loading and 90 second (which frequently restart) lobby time are brutal.

njean777

What are these gen things you guys keep talking about? I thought that was just a prestige thing like in COD where you just have a special emblem.

kurbaan

Banned
So got the titanfall bundle last week but didn't play this too much till this weekend since was busy with Infamous.

And my first impressions were kind of muted but after spending a lot of time with it this weekend and after I've getting much better. This game is awesome. Its definitely the next level after COD don't think I can play that game after this.

What really sucks is you don't really get the good weapons till so much later you are pretty much handicapped at the start which is pretty annoying. Especially in the titan.

Does anyone else not go in their titan that much instead of just running around with it? I found that I was doing that a lot before. But now with the triple threat Im using it al to more. I also wish they'd give you a bigger deck of burn cards. Im always "saving" them for I don't know what but my deck is always full now and i just force my self to waste them

wrongway

Same here! The loading times were pretty snappy close to launch, but lately it takes noticeably longer to get from menu to menu or lobby to lobby. I've seen a bunch of people notice this change, too. (PC)

Yeah, load times are weirdly long even after moving the game to my SSD. It seems like the game has to wait for a server connection before it starts loading, and it just takes forever. Like, when the game first launches from the lobby and you're presented with just the map picture, it doesn't seem to be doing anything. The framerate sits at its cap, and there doesn't seem to be any drive activity. Then eventually the map text pops up, and the framerate drops to single-digits as the drive activity light comes on. All said and done, it's taking 45-60 seconds to actually get into the game once the lobby's countdown hits zero.

njean777

So got the titanfall bundle last week but didn't play this too much till this weekend since was busy with Infamous.

And my first impressions were kind of muted but after spending a lot of time with it this weekend and after I've getting much better. This game is awesome. Its definitely the next level after COD don't think I can play that game after this.

What really sucks is you don't really get the good weapons till so much later you are pretty much handicapped at the start which is pretty annoying. Especially in the titan.

Does anyone else not go in their titan that much instead of just running around with it? I found that I was doing that a lot before. But now with the triple threat Im using it al to more. I also wish they'd give you a bigger deck of burn cards. Im always "saving" them for I don't know what but my deck is always full now and i just force my self to waste them

I said this at first, but going bcd to COD after playing this is still pretty fun. COD is still its own thing. I really like in COD that it is still only pure PVP no creeps. I still enjoy both, and sometimes Titanfall can feel a little adhd and just to fast for me.

What are these gen things you guys keep talking about? I thought that was just a prestige thing like in COD where you just have a special emblem.

Not sure if you're joking, ha. It's pretty much identical to prestiging but this time there's requirements for every prestige level - some easy, some brutal.

Wrapped up my Gen 6, which was pretty simple. Gen 7 looks like an absolute cakewalk.

Im about to hit Gen 4. The rail gun challenges are a pain in the ass, but not too bad. On the other hand, Ive gotten so I love using satchels. Its fucking hilarious to toss one from up high, watch it land in the middle of 2 or 3 enemies, see them scramble and then KABOOM RAGDOLLS. :)~ From what I understand the gooser challenges are the ones that people seem to hate for Gen 5...?

kurbaan

Banned
I said this at first, but going bcd to COD after playing this is still pretty fun. COD is still its own thing. I really like in COD that it is still only pure PVP no creeps. I still enjoy both, and sometimes Titanfall can feel a little adhd and just to fast for me.

This game is super fast. I really feel that ADS really feels out of place in this game.

The Jer

I'm on the fence about ADS.... seems outta place in a twitchy fast-paced game. But, I kinda like it at the same time...

I feel like "the best weapons" are earned early on. The only thing I don't like are the starting titans. Once I've earned custom titans, I'm good too go.

Pegasus Actual

Gold Member
I think my pilot loadout is good and ready by level 11 or so? I prefer Charge Rifle to the Archer, but pretty minor in the grand scheme of things.
Im about to hit Gen 4. The rail gun challenges are a pain in the ass, but not too bad. On the other hand, Ive gotten so I love using satchels. Its fucking hilarious to toss one from up high, watch it land in the middle of 2 or 3 enemies, see them scramble and then KABOOM RAGDOLLS. :)~ From what I understand the gooser challenges are the ones that people seem to hate for Gen 5...?
Yes, and it's a nightmare, but being patched soon to be a breeze.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
what platform?
PC.

Same here! The loading times were pretty snappy close to launch, but lately it takes noticeably longer to get from menu to menu or lobby to lobby. I've seen a bunch of people notice this change, too. (PC)
Yeah. I've been in touch with Calen here, so hopefully they can track it down, but it looks like an issue that is spreading. Hopefully it's something they can fix easily!

pelican

Not sure if you're joking, ha. It's pretty much identical to prestiging but this time there's requirements for every prestige level - some easy, some brutal.

whoa...slow down there.

How did I miss there were required challenges to complete per Gen?

I've missed this completely, although I am only Gen 2.

Woo-Fu

Banned
I don't think Electric smoke is fine. A countermeasure for pilots rodeoing is simply being aware of your surroundings.

Also, I like having frag grenades instead of explosives. They shouldn't be allowed to do that in the first place.

Any type of grenade will set them off, as will just shooting them. Stop crying about every counter to your favorite playstyle.

Being 'aware of your surroundings' doesn't work so great in a game with a stealth ability targeted at Titans. What do you do in Hardpoint? "Oh noes, i might get rodeo'd if I go in and take/hold that point, I'll camp out here in the open and get destroyed by charge rifles and archers instead."

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
whoa...slow down there.

How did I miss there were required challenges to complete per Gen?

I've missed this completely, although I am only Gen 2.

It's pretty easy to miss. If you check challenges there's a new one added at the bottom that shows what's needed.

kurbaan

Banned
wat

The starter assault rifle is like my favorite my weapon. o_O

i meant mainly for theTitans and their unlocks you don't get the good stuff till so much later. for ex the Electric smoke makes dealing with rodeo people so easy and it kind of sucks when everyone has it but you. and the triple threat. maybe its just personal preference.

Yeah Im not one to complain about IQ issues (gameplay/UI is far more important to me on balance)...but as much fun as I've had with this game it sure does look like shit. Regularly hitting single digit frame-rates during big firefights just adds insult to injury.

Frankly, I'm only ever bothered by the tearing when I start playing the game, my brain quickly adjusts and then I don't notice it anymore. The frame rate is certainly not sticking to 60 fps, but I have no big issues with it either. In some 18 hours of play time I noticed just one serious slowdown. Guess I should be thankful I'm so easy to please.

I still enjoy both, and sometimes Titanfall can feel a little adhd and just to fast for me.

I had an amazingly fast hardpoint match with two good teams last night, everyone sprinting all the time, hardpoints constantly changing hands, kills every few seconds, just utter mayhem. I love the fact that Titanfall is so fast, but that was a bit too much even for me, I felt completely drained afterward.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Yeah I have long load times too. Abnormally long. I mean, even just loading up the lobby. Very strange.

Me to on PC, glad to here it's being looked into.

Yeah, I think they believe it's a hardware issue (he suggested lowering the resolution, reinstalling the game and turning off hyperthreading), but I think I've eliminated those as the cause. Maybe you guys can try that too so they have a larger sample size?

I recorded this a few days ago and you can see the long load times (and my really shit play) in it:
http://www.twitch.tv/firehawk12/b/514761375

danielcw

The problem is that, unlike CoD, they don't shuffle the teams between rounds. That means when you join a game close to the end like that, you're usually on the losing side.

I believe I saw some shuffling in the Beta, but I don't know, if it was automaitc.

Does the Retail game not shuffle or rearrange teams at all?

Izuna

Banned
I really love being Gen 10. Hopefully when I get my KD back up from grinding those Challenges I get matched with better players.

I forgot to post the time it took. 3 days 20 hours in game time is what it took for me. Though Gen 9 was over in a snap because I did 50/55 MVP games I played in that Gen.

HelloMeow

I really love being Gen 10. Hopefully when I get my KD back up from grinding those Challenges I get matched with better players.

I forgot to post the time it took. 3 days 20 hours in game time is what it took for me. Though Gen 9 was over in a snap because I did 50/55 MVP games I played in that Gen.

K/D does not seem to have anything to do with matchmaking.

It should have something to do with it, but it shouldn't be the main differentiating factor, at least not in all modes. There are modes where other stats appear to be (and should be) far more important. For instance, my K/D has been pretty poor, but I'm usually near the top or at the very top in Hardpoint Domination. Matchmaking should take all those things into consideration.

That said, it could definitely use some further tweaking.

Izuna

Banned

It should have something to do with it. Either that or there are a lot of new players after last weekend. My last ten games KD is around 12.0 but my overall is 2.0 now...

I think I can get All The Hardware this afternoon, thought up a plan to play Attrition until I have all of the Pilot Kills for each weapon then go to LTS and farm minions, should take about 1 LTS game per weapon after which.

For Titan weapons I'll unlock them as they come haha. Quad Rocket is garbage.

It should have something to do with it. Either that or there are a lot of new players after last weekend. My last ten games KD is around 12.0 but my overall is 2.0 now...

I think I can get All The Hardware this afternoon, thought up a plan to play Attrition until I have all of the Pilot Kills for each weapon then go to LTS and farm minions, should take about 1 LTS game per weapon after which.

For Titan weapons I'll unlock them as they come haha. Quad Rocket is garbage.

Winrate is probably (and should be) more important than KDR in matchmaking.

HelloMeow

Titanfall has a hidden "skill" stat, hasn't it? That probably factors stuff like win/loss and maybe even k/d. But as far as I know, only the improved matchmaking list uses it.

Titanfall has a hidden "skill" stat, hasn't it? That probably factors stuff like win/loss and maybe even k/d. But as far as I know, only the improved matchmaking list uses it.

They said the original matchmaking uses whatever ranking they have in it. The improved matchmaking list just uses it better. It will also split teams up after a match and do other things that disrupt existing lobbies to make a better match for next round.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom