• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Titanfall |OT| Titan Online. Signal When Ready.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vitor711

C.A.R SMG, HCOG, Counterweight
Mag Launcher
Hammond P2011 (Rodeo only)

Stim
Arc Grenade

Explosives Pack (Only kill minions as pilot with grenades)
Minion Detector (Unless Hardpoint)

--

Atlas

40mm Cannon, Extended Magazine

Electric Smoke
Cluster Missile (For Minions and Pilots)

Nuclear Ejection
Core Accelerator

We have the same Titan build - minus nuclear ejection which I've never liked. Dashcore all the way.

Pilot build is quite different. I've NEVER used a sidearm in this game. Had no idea the pistol was good for rodeo-ing titans. Will try that.

Use Arc Mines instead of Arc Grenades for covering my back but maybe I should branch out. Will they insta-kill minions? Interesting. I usually shoot them or melee but the former most likely give me away on the map, I'm guessing the grenades don't?

Also, I thought the SMG was useless at medium range? Or does the counterweight fix that problem? So accustomed to the main rifle that I've never switched it out.

Have they hinted anywhere when the new matchmaking is going to come live?

I've played one match in that playlist where the teams weren't balanced.. much better than before.

Most of the time the matches don't seem to have a spread of more than 50 points.

Kick hit boxes needs sorting too. I was kicked whilst in the air when the player wasn't that near to me (in regards to being able to reach). He must have been wearing some VERY large boots.

Yep. Last night I insta-kick killed a dude who jumped OVER me and was briefly standing about, oh, 6 feet above my head on the ledge of the turret wall in Training Grounds. Somehow by looking up and clic kicking I warp kicked his ass off the wall above me before he could kill me with his gun. Even though I "won" this scenario, its patently absurd. Bruce Lee couldnt pull off that move in his wildest dreams.

I normally try to avoid using the kick function at all bc its so cheap, but ultimately with nearly everyone else using it constantly you are forced to use it too or suffer a lot of rage inducing deaths. So, I've sort of embraced using it occasionally, especially to experiment with new and ridiculous ways to kill pilots from distances/positions from which a kick has no business being useful. Its ridiculous how effective the kick kill truly is. The sad thing from a gameplay standpoint is it changes pilot v pilot tactics in a huge way...what could be a fun 'gun-kata' type of standoff with players kicking to knock off balance then finish off with a gun instead becomes a quick "who can close the gap quicker to instakill" with the kick.

The only defense against the kick seems to be to run with the shotgun, which isnt exactly a good solution for the macro game since it has its own issues of being over-powered.

TrueGrime

I have reached a new level of ridiculousness.

GMJOW85.png

Come on HM! That one rodeo kill is looking lonely. This might be the best K/D spread I've seen in any FPS, period.

Yep. Last night I insta-kick killed a dude who jumped OVER me and was briefly standing about, oh, 6 feet above my head on the ledge of the turret wall in Training Grounds. Somehow by looking up and clic kicking I warp kicked his ass off the wall above me before he could kill me with his gun. Even though I "won" this scenario, its patently absurd. Bruce Lee couldnt pull off that move in his wildest dreams.

I normally try to avoid using the kick function at all bc its so cheap, but ultimately with nearly everyone else using it constantly you are forced to use it too or suffer a lot of rage inducing deaths. So, I've sort of embraced using it occasionally, especially to experiment with new and ridiculous ways to kill pilots from distances/positions from which a kick has no business being useful. Its ridiculous how effective the kick kill truly is. The sad thing from a gameplay standpoint is it changes pilot v pilot tactics in a huge way...what could be a fun 'gun-kata' type of standoff with players kicking to knock off balance then finish off with a gun instead becomes a quick "who can close the gap quicker to instakill" with the kick.

The only defense against the kick seems to be to run with the shotgun, which isnt exactly a good solution for the macro game since it has its own issues of being over-powered.

Yes I have been using the kick more because the game feels like The River Dance on amphetamines; legs and feet flying every where. You have no choice because it seems like even if you are shooting a player in their scrotum or head the kick will always win.

If you are very close this kick should turn into a stab kill. But from any other distance it should be a knock back and quick stun and maybe 50% damage.

Nivane

What's the deal with the Charge Rifle critical hit challenge?

It looks like when I rodeo and hit an enemy titan with it I get the red X indicating a crit.. but the number doesn't go up after the match.

Does it only count if you hit them from far away after their shields are down?

I don't think a rodeo crit with it counts. I played a LOT on the Colony map for that challenge. I'd head up to the tower which has a pretty good view of the entire map and blast away.

Keep going! Wait until an enemy titan is getting teamed up on and sit back off to the side shooting him.

I finished all the Gen 3 challenges a couple days ago. The rail gun is incredibly lame at first but gets better as you get more skilled at properly aiming/moving with it. Then it gets much, much better when you unlock instant shot. With the right loadout and instant shot, the rail gun is actually pretty good in 1 on 1 matchups. Prior to instant shot I found it useless in most situations where I had to take on other titans alone, so I would sit back in groups and flat out run if I saw a tank coming and I was alone. With instant shot - and the proper use of movement/positioning/shields/tactical ability - I can usually take on tanks alone now and win a fair amount of the time. So, in a nutshell, stick with it. It gets better. That said, I still think its the worst primary titan weapon.

I don't think a rodeo crit with it counts. I played a LOT on the Colony map for that challenge. I'd head up to the tower which has a pretty good view of the entire map and blast away.

I've read on some internet forums that rodeo crits count if you aim at the right zones(not that exposed bit of engine but the usual crit zones)

However, I haven't been able to do it on the PC version and heaven knows I tried.

Red zone shots from a distance are the only thing that ticks the counter for me.

Special C

So Is Gen 8 a good time to unlock the "All the Hardware" Achievement since I have to get to 100 wins? Will I unlock everything before I regenerate? Don't want to do it so early I waste time when I could be regenerating.

Izuna

Banned
So Is Gen 8 a good time to unlock the "All the Hardware" Achievement since I have to get to 100 wins? Will I unlock everything before I regenerate? Don't want to do it so early I waste time when I could be regenerating.

I got it at Gen 10 in 40 games... If you think you can get wins with the fucking sniper then by all means.

We have the same Titan build - minus nuclear ejection which I've never liked. Dashcore all the way.

Pilot build is quite different. I've NEVER used a sidearm in this game. Had no idea the pistol was good for rodeo-ing titans. Will try that.

Use Arc Mines instead of Arc Grenades for covering my back but maybe I should branch out. Will they insta-kill minions? Interesting. I usually shoot them or melee but the former most likely give me away on the map, I'm guessing the grenades don't?

Also, I thought the SMG was useless at medium range? Or does the counterweight fix that problem? So accustomed to the main rifle that I've never switched it out.

Nuclear is great for getting minion kills as you eject, I use it with throwing grenades down so I have just about 1:30 minutes left for another Titan.

I spend my CAR ammo when I rodeo, then switch to the Hammond. If you tap fast it does a fair bit of damage and it reloads fast.

Arc Mines and Grenades have the same affect. Two mines = 1 Pilot Kill, and one for Minion kills. I will upload a video in the next hour showing you why they are needed for Attrition.

Don't shoot Minions unless you are 100% sure no one else is around. You can clear a drop pod for 3 points, comprise your position while your team mates get sniped by a guy you could have gotten the jump on. I don't recommend it. Melee is good but try to use only the kick as the neck snap takes too long. Space it right for it to work.

CAR Limited range?! Lmao. Let's compare it to the Carbine.

The Carbine has less spread (more range) but less damage, but it still has spread. The CAR can be fired in burst shots with no recoil at all and you can basically snipe the other side of Smuggler's Cove in three taps. The damage increase from the Carbine with Counterweight makes it almost too powerful. I get ~15 kills each game with almost any weapon but the sniper, but I get less deaths with the CAR, that's what matters.

tauke

Finally done with Gen 3 challenges and decided to regen to Gen 4. Oh dear the damn satchel and plasma railgun challenges is annoying. Can't imagine the damn gooser challenge...

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
What the Eff was that, dude? I just left my Game client in matchmaking for like 30 minutes while I did chores and it didn't slot me into a match. >.<

tauke

What the Eff was that, dude? I just left my Game client in matchmaking for like 30 minutes while I did chores and it didn't slot me into a match. >.<

Happens to me for the beta matchmaking... which I still yet to try out since no one in East Asia and SEA wants a more balanced match. :(

HelloMeow

Dude, go outside and eat some food. This is how people get scurvy in the modern era.
I play this game 2-3 hours/day. Sometimes more. Nothing crazy.

Fucking hell, how do you do it.
As a pilot, I use speed and verticality and as a Titan I play aggressive but calculated.
I have played a lot of Crysis 2 and 3, where speed and verticality were very important as well, so those skills help a lot.

Here are some slow motion clips of me playing. I would have used some nice music, but youtube kept muting every song I tried.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=voPo-VJlqZE

I think playing with a controller may put me at a slight disadvantage there, I see you getting kills that I would fail to get because I just can't aim that quickly.

Oh well, #peasantfolyfe.

red731

I think playing with a controller may put me at a slight disadvantage there, I see you getting kills that I would fail to get because I just can't aim that quickly.

Oh well, #peasantfolyfe.

I am playing with a gamepad on PC and feel no disadvantege at all.

molnizzle

only way to play. Too bad it moves your titan ability to A, makes vortex shield very bad.

Bumper Jumper Pilot!

best thing ever

Can't see how people play with that setup. My fingers need to be on aim and shoot the entire time.

You also need to be able to jump and aim your reticle at the same time, which you can only do with bumper jumper. ;-)

Besides, the Xbone controller makes this a non-issue. The bumpers are so close to the triggers, you can "bump" them while still keeping your index fingers in place.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
only way to play. Too bad it moves your titan ability to A, makes vortex shield very bad.
That's what bumper jumper pilot is for.
Yeah. Bumper Jumper is nonsense- but Bumper Jumper Pilot or Evolved (which I've been using as I can't get the Halo melee instinct out of my brain) are where it's at. A true necessity.

Can't see how people play with that setup. My fingers need to be on aim and shoot the entire time.
Umm. Hmm. That's what bumper jumper enables you to do. You'd be moving your right thumb (aim) to A to jump constantly with the default setup.
I am playing with a gamepad on PC and feel no disadvantege at all.
I'm sure there is a precision disadvantage, but the movement feels incredibly natural to me as someone who loved Mirror's Edge. I also started doing substantially better in terms of precision once I turned the aim sensitivity up to Very High, personally.

red731

I'm sure there is a precision disadvantage, but the movement feels incredibly natural to me as someone who loved Mirror's Edge. I started doing substantially better in terms of precision once I turned the aim sensitivity up to Very High, personally.

Yeah, you got that natural part. I use very high too, so that may be it.
I seriously love how you can move in this game. I am having a blast even if I don't play hundred percent, but just parkour everywhere.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I am having a blast even if I don't play hundred percent, but just parkour everywhere.
At this point I'd *sigh* even pay for the ability to just spawn in the map of my choice, alone, to run around and do crazy tricks. The set of movement skills along with the map design begs for them to just be explored and played with, but the context of a match is so frantic and high-tension that it's never an option. I suppose private lobbies would give me what I'm looking for :p

molnizzle

doesn't bumper jumper pilot put your dash on a face button though? I'd prefer dashing on LB than titan ability, but maybe I'm not remembering correctly

For any ability other than vortex shield, sure. If using vortex you pretty much have to have full movement and aiming control though. Gotta be LB.

For any ability other than vortex shield, sure. If using vortex you pretty much have to have full movement and aiming control though. Gotta be LB.

yeah that's the problem I face, since I have loadouts with either vortex or smoke. I can't imagine using a stryder without dash on LB, but then my atlas/ogre builds with vortex are worthless. I've slowly settled into regular bumper jumper and smoke on all ny titans

Vitor711

I got it at Gen 10 in 40 games... If you think you can get wins with the fucking sniper then by all means.

Nuclear is great for getting minion kills as you eject, I use it with throwing grenades down so I have just about 1:30 minutes left for another Titan.

I spend my CAR ammo when I rodeo, then switch to the Hammond. If you tap fast it does a fair bit of damage and it reloads fast.

Arc Mines and Grenades have the same affect. Two mines = 1 Pilot Kill, and one for Minion kills. I will upload a video in the next hour showing you why they are needed for Attrition.

Don't shoot Minions unless you are 100% sure no one else is around. You can clear a drop pod for 3 points, comprise your position while your team mates get sniped by a guy you could have gotten the jump on. I don't recommend it. Melee is good but try to use only the kick as the neck snap takes too long. Space it right for it to work.

CAR Limited range?! Lmao. Let's compare it to the Carbine.

The Carbine has less spread (more range) but less damage, but it still has spread. The CAR can be fired in burst shots with no recoil at all and you can basically snipe the other side of Smuggler's Cove in three taps. The damage increase from the Carbine with Counterweight makes it almost too powerful. I get ~15 kills each game with almost any weapon but the sniper, but I get less deaths with the CAR, that's what matters.

Yeah, I tend to burst fire always when at range so if the spread isn't huge, I'll switch to that permanently.

Didn't think about Nuclear for Minion kills. I'll try it out.

And yeah, I always try to avoid the neck snap whenever I can as it leaves you too exposed. So never shoot minions and just grenade them? I'll try it.

I did like having a Stim Pack with Cell Recharge equipped but I'm guessing that extra explosive is real nice for racking up minion points.

crazyprac

I tried gamepad on PC and omg I'm horrible. I mean I considered myself average (much humble) but I'm horribad with gamepad. My aiming takes a hit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom