• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Titanfall |OT| Titan Online. Signal When Ready.

Status
Not open for further replies.

antitrop

Same reason people reduce points on a game like battlefield for having a bad campaign.

It's like who cares.
But the difference is that Battlefield's campaign isn't even really playing Battlefield. It doesn't have all the vehicles and large, open warfare of the main MP game. It doesn't have any tactical coordination between Squads or anything. You're just playing a shitty CoD-clone.

Titanfall's campaign is still playing Titanfall. There's just some background noise over it. If it sucks, big deal.

I don't even know why critics bother with the plot.

It sucks, everyone knows it, everyone accepts it. Talk about the game. The CMP and its plot is a footnote, at most. Yet reviews feel like they need to spend excessive amounts of time talking about how much they didn't like it.

I've played 80 hours of the game and 3 of them were doing them Campaign. And even when you're doing the campaign, you're still playing Titanfall. So at worst, it's just something that you can safely ignore.

By 2:30 into Yahtzee's 5 minute video, all he had talked about was Dark Souls II and the plot of Titanfall. Jesus fucking Christ.

Critics bother with the plot because not everybody in the world follows previews and knows that the game is a multiplayer-centric experience. None of the television commercials explicitly said so.

I don't like Yahtzee. I used to, but he's been recycling the same schtick into oblivion. Nothing he says is clever anymore.

That said, if you put something in your game, it's open to criticism. Moreover, there was plenty of coverage of the 'innovative, groundbreaking, yada yada' online campaign in Titan Fall, and it turned out to be nothing more than a radio play over multiplayer matches. That's worthy of criticism.

Same goes for the BF campaigns. They put them in there, they put money and time towards creating them - money and time that could have gone to the multiplayer component, so saying 'who cares about them' isn't fair. They've been held up as important parts of the game by the developer/publisher, regardless of whether hardcore fans of the franchise agree.

Camp Lo

Banned
But the difference is that Battlefield's campaign isn't even really playing Battlefield. It doesn't have all the vehicles and large-open warfare of the main MP game. You're just playing a shitty CoD-clone.

Titanfall's campaign is still playing Titanfall. There's just some background noise over it. If it sucks, big deal.

I only feel bad for the people who spent fill retail on this game. If there wasn't a Mexico deal, I wouldn't have bought it. So yeah, I can see plenty reasons for someone to complain.

Coconut

Banned
I only feel bad for the people who spent fill retail on this game. If there wasn't a Mexico deal, I wouldn't have bought it. So yeah, I can see plenty reasons for someone to complain.

Really I paid full retail and bought the season pass. No regrets.

Lima

No, just pilots.

Titan kill-times are much closer to Halo, so it's quite possible and actually frequent for better players to turn the tide of a Titan battle by using cover and their environment, and using their weapons/abilities more effectively to turn the tide of a battle and win out over an enemy that got the drop on them.

Yes and that is what I love most about the game.

As a pilot it is like CoD on crack with the insane parkour.

Once you go into your Titan it becomes a totally different game. Much more like Halo as you said. It's this balance that is nearly perfect (I say nearly because the TTK could be a bit longer as a pilot)

antitrop

I only feel bad for the people who spent fill retail on this game.
Hundreds of hours of gameplay isn't worth full price? Everyone values a game differently, but I'm the kind of person that can spend full price on a SP-only game and finish it once in a dozen hours and be satisfied with that.

So I feel I've gotten my money's worth out of Titanfall exponentially. I'm not even burned out on it, yet. I'm still finding it to be an absolute ton of fun, even if grinding out Challenges for Regen definitely dulls the overall experience.

Yes and that is what I love most about the game.

As a pilot it is like CoD on crack with the insane parkour.

Once you go into your Titan it becomes a totally different game. Much more like Halo as you said. It's this balance that is nearly perfect (I say nearly because the TTK could be a bit longer as a pilot)

It really is balanced very well.

As a Titan, I actually feel much more vulnerable to pilots than I do other Titans. Other Titans, I can keep in view, use cover to escape and recharge shields before re-engaging, etc. Pilots are so quick, and can actually hide IN the very cover I'm using against another Titan, then can attack from above, they can attack from nooks and crannies below, there's nothing more irritating than damage indicators from an enemy you can't see because he's running around in the structures around you. All you can do is run.

Pilot-on-Pilot is fun, but my favorite battles in TF are Titan-on-Titan and Pilot-on-Titan.

zou

Is there a good way to reliably exit windows? Entering from the outside for the most part works; if my aim is on I'm in. Trying to exit though is a constant struggle for me. If I jump I usually stick to the side or the top, if I don't I usually get stopped by the lower frame. Often I have to move right next to the window and then perfectly time my jump while pushing into the frame/window - or I'll just over jump.

Am I just being stupid or is there some sort of no-stick toggle (similar to how NS had it)?

Coconut

Banned
Is there a good way to reliably exit windows? Entering from the outside for the most part works; if my aim is on I'm in. Trying to exit though is a constant struggle for me. If I jump I usually stick to the side or the top, if I don't I usually get stopped by the lower frame. Often I have to move right next to the window and then perfectly time my jump while pushing into the frame/window - or I'll just over jump.

Am I just being stupid or is there some sort of no-stick toggle (similar to how NS had it)?

I usually time it so that I'm in the middle of the frame at the end of my jump and then double jump on to a wall in front of me so I don't land on the ground.

Camp Lo

Banned
Hundreds of hours of gameplay isn't worth full price? Everyone values a game differently, but I'm the kind of person that can spend full price on a SP-only game and finish it once in a dozen hours and be satisfied with that.

So I feel I've gotten my money's worth out of Titanfall exponentially. I'm not even burned out on it, yet. I'm still finding it to be an absolute ton of fun, even if grinding out Challenges for Regen definitely dulls the overall experience.

Loadout (Free on Steam) could and has provide me with the same amount of gameplay plus I happen to like single player. But yeah, to each their own in that regard.

VASPER

Banned
Last titan standing is great, when i need a titan weapon challenge i just go in and play until i have it done, so much fun.

Disagree 100%. Got a deal on the game at $45 but went ahead and bought the season pass after 2 days because I've enjoyed it so much. Best multiplayer experience for me since COD: MW.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion to instantly devalue a game because it has no SP is a little silly imo.

Hip Hop

They need to get rid of the data center splits and it should find games based on ping, regardless of area.

The first 3 data centers are basically the same ping for me.

So are they splitting up the community 3 ways like that?

It's making finding games extremely difficult. The community is dying.

Camp Lo

Banned
They need to get rid of the data center splits and it should find games based on ping, regardless of area.

It definitely is dying. LTS games are becoming more and more scarce

Tawpgun

It really is balanced very well.

As a Titan, I actually feel much more vulnerable to pilots than I do other Titans. Other Titans, I can keep in view, use cover to escape and recharge shields before re-engaging, etc. Pilots are so quick, and can actually hide IN the very cover I'm using against another Titan, then can attack from above, they can attack from nooks and crannies below, there's nothing more irritating than damage indicators from an enemy you can't see because he's running around in the structures around you. All you can do is run.

Pilot-on-Pilot is fun, but my favorite battles in TF are Titan-on-Titan and Pilot-on-Titan.

I agree. Though buffing Pilot health slightly or nerfing pilot primary weapons slightly would help the Pilot on Pilot fights be more interesting. Would make aiming take more precedence over spraying. I guess I'm bored of fights being decided by who see's who first.

I've also been thinking if it would benefit combat to have pilots show up on radar more often. In Halo you have more even one on one fights because you know where each other is. But this probably wouldn't work to well in Titanfall.

Though I think this game could do with some form of a spotting mechanic. Hard enough to call enemy locations out

Camp Lo

Banned
Do you like anything?
stopit.png

zou

Yeah, because it's that way for everyone..

Bydobob

I agree. Though buffing Pilot health slightly or nerfing pilot primary weapons slightly would help the Pilot on Pilot fights be more interesting. Would make aiming take more precedence over spraying. I guess I'm bored of fights being decided by who see's who first.

It's not always that way though. I've lost count of the amount of times I've escaped by bouncing off walls and making my pursuer dizzy. The game equips you with the abilities to evade gunfire so increasing health/nerfing weapons is not necessary.

It definitely is dying. LTS games are becoming more and more scarce

I don't think it's dying. There have always been modes that are less popular than others in these shooters, from Halo to COD.

As with those games, the simplest, most accessible modes (Attrition, Hardpoint, Campaign) are overflowing, while the more specialized modes like CTF, LTS, Pilot Hunt are less populated.

As far as severs and ping go, the West US server is the only good ping I get. Which makes sense, since I'm in Vancouver.

Tawpgun

It's not always that way though. I've lost count of the amount of times I've escaped by bouncing off walls and making my pursuer dizzy. The game equips you with the abilities to evade gunfire so increasing health/nerfing weapons is not necessary.

I've had those moments too but they are sparse. Slower time to kill with some of the automatics would give the precision rifles more time to shine.

HelloMeow

Its almost never that way if you do it right. I keep saying it, but if you move around properly (keep up your speed, use the walls, use verticality), it doesn't matter if someone sees you first.

You'll be too hard of a target most of the time, while you are making a move to get a good shot at them, get to an advantageous position, or while you go for cover (or while you don't even notice them). It's almost entirely up to you. If you let yourself be an easy target, then yes, it will become important who sees who first.

antitrop

On Colony, I Ejected out of my Doomed Titan and landed inside the tall Crow's Nest to Jump-Kick the Sniper in there.

I almost passed out because all the blood in my body rushed to my penis, instantly.

This is not the case at all.

Yes it is. If someone sees you a second before you see them, you're dead. It's not always the case, but it happens more often than not. If you're in a good area to use walls and make a getaway, you can, but if someone manages to get off concentrated fire on you before you can react, you're dead.

Being able to evade someone, or turn the tables on them, is a pretty badass feeling though.

On Colony, I Ejected out of my Doomed Titan and landed inside the tall Crow's Nest to Jump-Kick the Sniper in there.

I almost passed out because all the blood in my body rushed to my penis, instantly.

That's why I love auto-eject. "SO LONG, SUCKERS."

Lima

Warning shitty ipad pic incoming.

I screamed at my TV so much. Except for that guy in second place my team was fucking worthless. Like we almost lost this. 1v3 clutch too. Damage core came on at the right team and my quad rocket just at them alive.

img_0008diu72.jpg

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Its almost never that way if you do it right. I keep saying it, but if you move around properly (keep up your speed, use the walls, use verticality), it doesn't matter if someone sees you first.

You'll be too hard of a target most of the time, while you are making a move to get a good shot at them, get to an advantageous position, or while you go for cover (or while you don't even notice them). It's almost entirely up to you. If you let yourself be an easy target, then yes, it will become important who sees who first.

Yeah, this has been the case from what I've seen. If you're already on the walls then people give their position away when they fire at you, and you already have a strong vantage point while you're moving to maneuver and confuse them. Or just 180, toss a satchel, and keep moving like I do.

Lima

Any tips for getting the "pull harder" achievement? I can never seem to get the aim right.

Use Instant Shot of course.

Now doom the titan and aim up in the air. Get a feel for the height of the ejection first. That way you have a rough idea where your crosshair should be. Now for the easiest kill make sure you hit them at the apex when they are the slowest. Also aim at the pilot's feet to take the travel time of the railgun projectile into account.

Good luck.

Yeah, this has been the case from what I've seen. If you're already on the walls then people give their position away when they fire at you, and you already have a strong vantage point while you're moving to maneuver and confuse them. Or just 180, toss a satchel, and keep moving like I do.

Man you guys must play against people that just straight up suck then and can't aim if their life depends on it. I keep my sights on a guy even if he tries some wallrun bullshit.

daedalius

I'm already regetting regenning to Gen2. Fuck this unlocking bullshit. I don't get the excuse that it keeps the game fresh by letting you explore different ways to play.

Umm no. It keeps me restricted. I come up with my own different ways to play once I have everything unlocked.

I'm probably gonna stay Gen2 level 50 forever unless they patch in something that makes regenning worthwhile.

Also tried out bumper jumper pilot last night... Dunno if I can get used to it...

Bumper jumper is the only way to play!

Special C

I've gotten very adept at hitting that Stim as soon as I start getting shot at, I don't try to get cocky and turn around and fight them I just high tale it out of there and Live to fight another day. I survive more often than not when someone see's me first.

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!

I just tried this but used my gun from outside the window. So satisfying.

There was a guy on my team today who, in last titan standing, was just shooting grunts as a pilot after his titan died. For about two minutes, he just sat there shooting minions.

Like come on. Distract the enemy titan or something. 1 v 1 plus a pilot. The pilot just shoots grunts. No kills, no assists through 6 rounds.

The Flash

Banned
Took a break from TF after launch week. Played so much at the beginning I was starting to feel a little burnt out. Now it's time to get back in the saddle. How has the game faired over the last few days?

hoyalawya

There was a guy on my team today who, in last titan standing, was just shooting grunts as a pilot after his titan died. For about two minutes, he just sat there shooting minions.

Like come on. Distract the enemy titan or something. 1 v 1 plus a pilot. The pilot just shoots grunts. No kills, no assists through 6 rounds.

I have seen worse in Last Titan Standing. I was in at least a couple of games in which the guy got off his Titan in the very beginning to go after minions. I will shoot cluster missile at the next guy I see doing that.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
I have seen worse in Last Titan Standing. I was in at least a couple of games in which the guy got off his Titan in the very beginning to go after minions. I will shoot cluster missile at the next guy I see doing that.

People who leave their titans at the start of last Titan standing in my experience are absolutely useless.

also, has the gooser update been pushed out yet? Have been waiting to get back in.

Coconut

Banned
The rail gun challenges for fourth gen I fucking hate it! You here that I hate them! That gun sucks even with the quick fire mod.

Argonomic

Gooser change requires a client side change, so it is part of the next client side patch, which we are now testing at the office. Once it passes office test it goes to ms and ea cert for the respective platforms, then out the door.

tauke

The rail gun challenges for fourth gen I fucking hate it! You here that I hate them! That gun sucks even with the quick fire mod.

I find the challenge much easier with the Instant Shot mod equipped. The trick to fulfill the challenge is to take the last shot on enemy Titan that is about to get doomed.

Managed to annoyed some players when they called out on me for kill steal since they also doing the challenge lol.

tauke

Gooser change requires a client side change, so it is part of the next client side patch, which we are now testing at the office. Once it passes office test it goes to ms and ea cert for the respective platforms, then out the door.

Any update on the game performance? Lately I find the game FPS to be more erratic compared to launch day (and I don't think it's my computer since other games still run smooth like Crysis 3).

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Just another "I'm getting extremely long loading times in the menus" daily post.

I hope Respawn are looking into this, because I haven't heard back from the Respawn employees who post here in several days. I know that the majority of people aren't experiencing it, but it's clear that it is an issue that is more than just isolated cases.

If it really is a a problem with Microsoft Azure servers or whatever, then I don't know if I can support any game that uses them ever again. At the very least it makes Last Titan Standing unplayable because you don't even get a chance to play in the first round. :(

Can you kill teammates with your own cluster missile?

Also, is the Arc Cannon fucking worthless against Titans or am I just using it wrong? It seems to be the Smart Pistol of the Titan weapons, a great AI farming weapon but one that is pretty shitty against human opponents. Just seems weak as hell. At least with the rail gun if I charge up a full shot, I am rewarded. I think the Titan killing challenge with this will be even more elusive for me than the gooser, which I am only at 4 right now.

I know when you zap ground enemies, it kills others near it. Does it pass from Titan to Titan that way too? Plus the range, yuck. It really sucks to line up a perfect shot on a Pilot only to realize you're out of range. Someone help me understand how to use this thing please.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom