• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Titanfall |OT| Titan Online. Signal When Ready.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BondFancy

Discussed at work yesterday. I was not involved and don't know the status (and am now at home).

Do you get this all the time? Sometimes?

Any eta for the reduction of the Gooser Challene to 5? Besides that loving the game, you guys (and gals!) did a fantastic job!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I was playing all night at the office, talking about the game while playing. Most of my matches were very close, including a 300-299 come back, but some were off because they started with mismatched team sizes.

We're going to work on that. We're watching the results. Anecdotally it appears to work much better on xbox1, due to the significantly larger player base.
I'm glad you're fixing the matchmaking, but the long loading times are still in effect for me unfortunately. It can take up to 5 minutes to quit a lobby and go back into the menu.

Yeah, just fired it up and the loading times are still obscene.

kortez320

I just hit gen 5 like 30 minutes ago.

Kind of wondering whether I should try to sprint to the finish and get the 50 gooser kills or if the change is coming soon.

Regardless this game is really good. In general now that I'm older it's hard for me to sit down for hours and play a game. I find myself losing 3-4 hours on this in a single play session.

I think the last game to do that for me was CoD4. Even BF3 which I loved I could never get into like that.

Coconut

Banned
I just hit gen 5 like 30 minutes ago.

Kind of wondering whether I should try to sprint to the finish and get the 50 gooser kills or if the change is coming soon.

Regardless this game is really good. In general now that I'm older it's hard for me to sit down for hours and play a game. I find myself losing 3-4 hours on this in a single play session.

I think the last game to do that for me was CoD4. Even BF3 which I loved I could never get into like that.

Do it.

Dammit. Game crashed again! Doesn't happen a lot, but when it does its because of something with my Nvidia driver crashing. Was during evac of a campaign mission too. Guess I'll have to go get my ass kicked all over again.

Hey! It counted it! On to the next mission. Does anyone else find the pilot fighting more appealing? Don't get me wrong---Titans are awesome. But I've found myself calling my Titan down and automatically setting it to guard mode. Haven't even bothered riding for a while.

char0n

Matchmaking still needs some work or this game has a giant jump in the skill curve that I'm just deeply nestled in... About half of the games the team I'm on gets wrecked (about 2/3 of that I'm easily top on my team by a large margin but at least 3 guys on the other team are just on a whole other level, 1/3 I'm sucking with everyone else on my team), another third of the time we win and I'm just wrecking pilots/taking objectives left and right and am in top 3 consistently, then the remaining margin is when there's a close heated match where I feel challenged but not overwhelmed. I feel like I'm mostly stuck between the guys that actually stop to aim/shoot (actually ran into a bunch of those today, and no they weren't grunts) and are still terrible at it and the guys who are parkouring constantly almost never touching the ground and can seem to flip around and single-shotgun-blast me from medium range the moment they hear my 101C fire it's first bullet (this taught me the value of the suppressor though, and really makes me want to earn leadwall). Also frustrating is being on the team with one other titan out on the field not doing much while the other side has a gang of 4 sticking close together and just wrecking any titan they come across in 5 seconds flat and otherwise making it impossible to walk outside in whichever quarter of the map they happen to be occupying.

I'm really hoping there's a "eureka" moment of becoming-one-with-the-matrix in my future for this because while I'm still in love with the game in theory, ending the nights on those types of matches really kills my enthusiasm.

Obscured

I used the Chain Gun. The goal is to aim at the apex of their jump and start firing.

Thanks for the info, that is helpful to know.

That was exactly how I've done it for the few I have. Glad to hear I'm on the right track, but even getting the technique down is just part if it as in general I don't see that many ejecting pilots. One thing I've had happen to me a few times is I am spamming x and instead of ejecting I just end up disembarking, which ends up a sad day for me when my Titan goes nuclear. I assume I'm just hitting the x too fast and it is treating it as a single extended press (which is obviously my own clumsy fault) and I wonder if others have the same issue so that there aren't as many ejections as might be helpful for the challenge.

Thanks for taking the time to respond in this thread. I really am enjoying the game you guys put out and am glad to hear you are still working in making it better. I can't wait to see what you do with it going forward.

Blablurn

Played some more after having a lil break in the last weeks. Still good, still fun to play. Some maps are crap. I just don't know how to deal with them and my points show it. Since I'm considering myself a pretty casual FPS player I'm surprised I almost made it to Level 50 now. Never had so much fun with Call of Duty for example. Man, I'm sure the 2nd Titanfall will be the shit.

Since the new matchmaking system came into effect I couldn't find a game of Attrition all day Friday here in Australia. I didn't have any luck with the rest of the game modes either. It seems nobody plays TF during the day down under.

It's like most FPS for me. They start off well then get patched to shit for me at least. Bar Blops2 that went the other way.

Any other Aussies or NZ'ers suffered from this ?

Anyone also notice that NOBODY uses the mic in TF. very rarely do I enter a pub match and mics are used.

TrueGrime

The feeling of having a buddy go nuclear while another titan is trying to get away from the blast, but you punch his ass right back into it. Priceless. Never gets old.

Echo Six

Neo Member
Since the new matchmaking system came into effect I couldn't find a game of Attrition all day Friday here in Australia. I didn't have any luck with the rest of the game modes either. It seems nobody plays TF during the day down under.

It's like most FPS for me. They start off well then get patched to shit for me at least. Bar Blops2 that went the other way.

Any other Aussies or NZ'ers suffered from this ?

Anyone also notice that NOBODY uses the mic in TF. very rarely do I enter a pub match and mics are used.
On Aus server LTS is literally impossible for me to get a game in, Attrition is ok, Hardpoint I can only get a game at peak times. Game could really use playlist population counters.

Plasma

Banned
One of the main problems I have with the matchmaking is every few rounds it will connect me to a new lobby and I'll end up replaying all the same maps again.

Played with a party for the first time yesterday. Matchmaking doesn't do a good job at balancing the teams; we were often losing.

Also, I don't know why a Titan overrides a pilot when capturing a hardpoint.

I just realised that the matchmaking system only applies to Attrition and Hardpoint. And it does not apply to campaign.
Please ignore my earlier whining about the new system. Seems it was not at fault when it came to me sitting in a lobby for ages.

Because Titan > Pilot.

What is there to understand really.
Because it's a lot harder to fight for a hardpoint when you're a pilot facing down a Titan? I'm on Corporate trying to capture B when a Titan lumbers over and instead of the hardpoint being contested – if I move out of my hiding spot, I die – it's won over by the Titan.

HelloMeow

Because it's a lot harder to fight for a hardpoint when you're a pilot facing down a Titan? I'm on Corporate trying to capture B when a Titan lumbers over and instead of the hardpoint being contested – if I move out of my hiding spot, I die – it's won over by the Titan.

Most maps only have one point that is reachable with a titan. Maybe it's to encourage titan fights, instead of hiding pilots.

Most maps only have one point that is reachable with a titan. Maybe it's to encourage titan fights, instead of hiding pilots.
Why does that matter? I don't have access to a Titan at all times, and my intention was to contest the hardpoint in the hopes someone on my team would be able to take on the Titan. Why does the Titan override the Pilot? In most cases I think the Titan-Pilot balance is really great, but in some instances – capturing hardpoints and flags – I think it's unbalanced.

Izuna

Banned
Why does that matter? I don't have access to a Titan at all times, and my intention was to contest the hardpoint in the hopes someone on my team would be able to take on the Titan. Why does the Titan override the Pilot? In most cases I think the Titan-Pilot balance is really great, but in some instances – capturing hardpoints and flags – I think it's unbalanced.

Honestly, I agree with you. Having it contested is one thing, but to have Titans > Pilots is annoying, especially in certain points where Nuclear clears out the entire damn room. It's one of the things that causes one sided games. But then I would say that some maps just don't work very well on certain modes, especially CTF etc.

--

:( I don't want to play Titanfall because of the poor matchmaking atm, but now I don't want to play anything that isn't Titanfall. Damnit. I wish Titanfall really was COD with Mechs, that way I could enjoy COD.

Honestly, I agree with you. Having it contested is one thing, but to have Titans > Pilots is annoying, especially in certain points where Nuclear clears out the entire damn room. It's one of the things that causes one sided games. But then I would say that some maps just don't work very well on certain modes, especially CTF etc.
For me, what makes it game design I disagree with is the fact that it makes the objective too easy. I want people to move out and take risks; if people are in a position of safety they won't take risks and it makes the game less dynamic.

E92 M3

--

:( I don't want to play Titanfall because of the poor matchmaking atm, but now I don't want to play anything that isn't Titanfall. Damnit. I wish Titanfall really was COD with Mechs, that way I could enjoy COD.

Isn't it sad what has happened with our lovely game? Fortunately im occupied with DaS 2. It just always confused me why they changed it in the first place.

HelloMeow

It matters, because pilots already have 2 points they can exclusively cap. I don't know if the game is better because of it; I never play hardpoint. I'm just giving a possible reason for it.

Played with a party for the first time yesterday. Matchmaking doesn't do a good job at balancing the teams; we were often losing.

Can auto-titans capture and hold the point? If they can then obviously titan + pilot > pilot.

tauke

Can auto-titans capture and hold the point? If they can then obviously titan + pilot > pilot.

Not possible. The pilot need to be in the Titan for it to be captured.

Usually when my Titan is gone, I'll just go and capture other Hardpoint or try to destroy the enemy Titan as a pilot.

It matters, because pilots already have 2 points they can exclusively cap. I don't know if the game is better because of it; I never play hardpoint. I'm just giving a possible reason for it.
But they'd be able to capture those points anyway whether they started out as pilots or titans.

Izuna

Banned
Hmmmm. Very interesting. I decided to download the MW3 demo to my 360 and give it a go. At first I thought the aim assist was INSANE, I turned up my sensitivity to nearly the highest and turned off the aim assist, and I could still snap my target to pretty much every AI I came across.

I think why I am good at Titanfall even though I was bad at FPS before was because while Titanfall was fun, it taught me to aim well.

Same problem here. I haven't played anything that isn't Titanfall for three-and-a-half weeks. There isn't anything in my stupidly over big library of games that is catching my eye.

Last night's matchmaking seemed a lot better (PC). Team numbers were equal and not so many players quit plus matches were pretty close for the most part. And then the servers went down.

tauke

Finally done all the challenge to regen to Gen 5!

Now to wait for Gooser challenge to be updated before I regen since the game is much enjoyable when there is no challenge to worry about.

Frankly the matchmaking just now was pretty awesome (playing Attrition). Quite challenging for both team until I done with my challenges and proceed to wreck the other team three rounds non stop.

Izuna

Banned
Finally done all the challenge to regen to Gen 5!

Now to wait for Gooser challenge to be updated before I regen since the game is much enjoyable when there is no challenge to worry about.

Frankly the matchmaking just now was pretty awesome (playing Attrition). Quite challenging for both team until I done with my challenges and proceed to wreck the other team three rounds non stop.

The matchmaking is the same. I have had great matches in the old one. This new matchmaking was supposed to make it happen more often but I feel the community *with quitting and the stupid Gen 8/9 challenge hunters* it makes it take too long and it doesn't balance out.

Either way I am going to give this game one final blast before heading to Tokyo. I will miss it.

tauke

The matchmaking is the same. I have had great matches in the old one. This new matchmaking was supposed to make it happen more often but I feel the community *with quitting and the stupid Gen 8/9 challenge hunters* it makes it take too long and it doesn't balance out.

Either way I am going to give this game one final blast before heading to Tokyo. I will miss it.

Yep I knew there is no update to it but at least with my previous session, it managed to pair up pretty decent matchmaking. I guess being weekend did help with the player count...

Damn I'm pretty itchy to regen to Gen 5 now.

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
I know I won't regen because I don't feel like doing the challenges.

The first few aren't bad but I am probably going to quit when sniper challenges come up. I don't do much sniping in shooters anyway, and sniping in Titanfall just looks boring.

The first few aren't bad but I am probably going to quit when sniper challenges come up. I don't do much sniping in shooters anyway, and sniping in Titanfall just looks boring.

The dmr is actually not a bad gun with aog and stabilizer or extended mags you can almost treat it like an assault rifle and it's a two shot kill and one to the head.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Still getting those long load times. I think this game is done for me. :(
Sadly, it's probably too late to ask EA for a refund at this point.

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
The dmr is actually not a bad gun with aog and stabilizer or extended mags you can almost treat it like an assault rifle and it's a two shot kill and one to the head.

I'm definitely going to give it a whirl, I just don't think I'll have the interest to complete it.

But then again I get that itch real bad when I hit level 50.

Jito

Banned
Discussed at work yesterday. I was not involved and don't know the status (and am now at home).

Do you get this all the time? Sometimes?

Hey, thanks for the reply. It doesn't happen every time I play, just seems to happen randomly when I tab out of the game when it's loading a match and when I come back it's like that. From there I can use the menu and exit the game fine, but my burn cards will also be frozen when I view them. Very strange glitch and requires full game restart to fix.

I've also had a lot of random "Titanfall.exe has stopped working" during loading screens and a complete re install hasn't solved the issue. My event logger is saying and issue with the .exe file and some .dll files are causing it but I've already re installed and repaired multiple times. I'm not running any software at the same time other than Origin and Steam.

TrueGrime

This. Pilots should have to get the fuck out to capture a point. Just like you shouldn't be able to grab the flag, jump in your goddamn titan, and run all the way tot he capture point. Make the titans more of a support function for those game types and not the primary.

TrueGrime

sorry to go slightly off topic here, but I used to play cod a bit and I remember that used a similar system, so whats the benefit of regening or prestiging etc

It's very similar sans the challenges you have to complete before you regen. Just a pride thing I think. Then again, respawn might decide to give some perks to peeps who have reached Gen10. Otherwise people do it just to do it.

sorry to go slightly off topic here, but I used to play cod a bit and I remember that used a similar system, so whats the benefit of regening or prestiging etc

The exact same thing as in CoD: a shiny cool emblem.

Titanfall does mix it up a bit though, after the first regen, the rest all have challenges you gotta complete before you can regen again. Usually simply a Titan weapon, a Pilot weapon, an anti-Titan weapon, and one other thing. It can help open up your play style and force you to use guns you wouldn't normally use. Also, unlike CoD, you get bonus XP for regens. I think when you hit regen 10, you're at 3.5x the normal XP. I can't even imagine how fast you return to 50 with that shit.

And damn I hope they hurry with this Gooser patch. I played for like 2 hours this morning and I am now at 12 or 13. I guess if I get lucky and find a bad team with people who don't cloak it might be easier to boost it. I was playing earlier in LTS and this other team had 3 guys using their mics and after game 1 they invited one guy from my team who was talking. Next game they invited the other guy from my team talking a lot, so they eventually had all 6 with mics and using teamwork and they rolled us 4-0 and 4-1 two matches and were joking about how bad we were and everything. I wanted to talk shit back but my 1 year old was asleep. Instead I waited and eventually got a great team behind me and we dominated them on Demeter or whatever 4-1 and they all fucking left to find an easier lobby after one loss. Pussies.

Nori Chan

Did they say that they will recognize the people that did the Gooser challenge originally? Cause I want to speed up my regen to do that lol I wonder how they will do that

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!

Keeps people interested and playing the game, at least that's the intent of it. Though there are plenty of people content with sitting at level 50 with everything unlocked. The challenges are what make Titanfall's version different, compared to COD4 (The last one I played with any lasting interest).

I would like to have the option of keeping one Primary pilot weapon unlocked when i Re-generate, like you could in Black Ops. I hate having to get back up to 30+ to get the C.A.R. back.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Damn, dunno if I'll be able to hit 50 before leaving on a 10 day trip. Had some great variety pack matches last night.. I am no natural at LTS though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom