• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Titanfall |OT| Titan Online. Signal When Ready.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has matchmaking been improved this last day?

I played Friday and it seemed better; didn't play Saturday but played around 1 1/2 tonight. Matches were close other than one and the fun was definitely back because of this (plus no one seemed to be quitting which helped).

I have had a few glasses of whisky but the match stats do not lie; it was pretty evenly matched throughout; 40 points at very most differentiating scores.

ZROCOOL

aka II VerTigo II
6dcyepQ.jpg

Anyone run into this? Sorry for the crappy quality.

I've had the game crash twice already today. It's been a problem for the past few days.

TheOddOne

My internship starts in a couple of days, which means I'll only be able to play this game during the weekends, and honestly, I don't mind. I haven't played all that much, but I'm already starting to feel a bit burnt out. It's a great game when it wants to be, but between the broken melee, overpowered shotgun, and crappy matchmaking, I'm not always having fun anymore.
Congrats on the internship, bro-monkey.

HelloMeow

I'm wondering the same. The long waiting times and increasingly uneven games are killing my interest in the game. I haven't played it in three days and I'm afraid that if I boot it up, it will be the exact same mess.

Lots of waiting, uneven teams (both by player count and skill) and more waiting.

Jrs3000

I'm wondering the same. The long waiting times and increasingly uneven games are killing my interest in the game. I haven't played it in three days and I'm afraid that if I boot it up, it will be the exact same mess.

Lots of waiting, uneven teams (both by player count and skill) and more waiting.

Yes they moved the beta matchmaking into attrition and hardpoint I believe. LTS & CTF still on old method of matchmaking.

Rizsparky

I played Friday and it seemed better; didn't play Saturday but played around 1 1/2 tonight. Matches were close other than one and the fun was definitely back because of this (plus no one seemed to be quitting which helped).

I have had a few glasses of whisky but the match stats do not lie; it was pretty evenly matched throughout; 40 points at very most differentiating scores.

I woudnt say so, alot of matches today where I have been teamed up unfairly.

T.O.P

Banned
Ok for the "new shiny console" factor i played for a week on PS4

Got back tonight

I got destroyed, the difference between the two controller made me feel like i had to lear how to play back at the start lol

and yeah the matchmaking is fucked

Appreciate the tips guys. As a couple of you have touched upon my usual aggressive play is probably part of the problem. The times I've held back though got me assists rather than kills which is of no use to the challenge. Lots of ideas there though, I'm sure I'll get there in the end.

That's my biggest pet peeve when trying to level. Vultures taking your Titan kills. You get them down to nothing and before you can get the last shot in someone jacked your kill. You get a Titan-Assist... hurray...blah. And good luck goosing anyone with the auto eject cloak.

I wonder if they will change the gooser challenge on Tuesday, or give 360 players a chance to get to 50/50? I've been at Gen 5 level 50 for awhile now with only 6/50 gooser kills and it is really hampering my enjoyment of the game not being able to regen.

Izuna

Banned
Being the reason why I have not played the game in 3 days.

This morning before work was strange. First game joined in half way, so I quit, then it put me in the same game. I decided to stay and won every game after that (about 6)... But the problem was that we never had the same opponents apart from when they won.

Very annoying community, and if a team quits in the last part it is almost impossible to play a good team more than once unless you lose.

But tbh, Titanfall is so good, when DLC hits I am jumping on it.

Ecto311

I wonder if they will change the gooser challenge on Tuesday, or give 360 players a chance to get to 50/50? I've been at Gen 5 level 50 for awhile now with only 6/50 gooser kills and it is really hampering my enjoyment of the game not being able to regen.

How is it hampering the enjoyment of the game? I am gen 2 or on my first regen and I am not real excited about regenning again. I never aim for any of the goals or challenges in the game and I enjoy every match regardless of my level. Why is there any enjoyment in getting the gens? Am I missing something?

How is it hampering the enjoyment of the game? I am gen 2 or on my first regen and I am not real excited about regenning again. I never aim for any of the goals or challenges in the game and I enjoy every match regardless of my level. Why is there any enjoyment in getting the gens? Am I missing something?

Well I've been playing for about 80 hours, and the progression is what makes it fun for me. I don't enjoy being level 50 and getting 40,000XP in a match that just goes to waste. Maybe once I get to gen 10 then I will just play for the hell of it, but I enjoy having goals to reach in the form of challenges, levels, etc..

My internship starts in a couple of days, which means I'll only be able to play this game during the weekends, and honestly, I don't mind. I haven't played all that much, but I'm already starting to feel a bit burnt out. It's a great game when it wants to be, but between the broken melee, overpowered shotgun, and crappy matchmaking, I'm not always having fun anymore.

I like melee the way it is. If melee was two or three kills it'd be useless – you'd likely be able to gun down your opponent before then.

HelloMeow

I had some close games, but also stuff like this:
Matchmaking was faster than Thursday, but it still won't fill up games and the balance is the same. The game above was 4v3 for the most part. The only thing improved matchmaking seems to offer is more chaotic team balance, more empty spots and longer waiting times, which can lead to very frustrating sessions.

Elixist

i would love just halo 2/ LoL matchmaking. match parties against each other when possible , give me a rank 1-50 like halo 2. fresh game everytime full or 5 v 5 etc starts.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
About to play this game for the first time (XO).
I always suck at aiming with analog sticks, hopefully I'll be able to get a bit of fun out of it anyway.
Btw, any good tips for a first time player? Just looking to have fun, won't care about K/D ratio.

Fracas

#fuckonami
I always suck at aiming with analog sticks, hopefully I'll be able to get a bit of fun out of it anyway.
Btw, any good tips for a first time player? Just looking to have fun, won't care about K/D ratio.

Stick to the walls/rooftops. Half the fun is chaining together sick dash combos

Izuna

Banned
I had some close games, but also stuff like this:

Matchmaking was faster than Thursday, but it still won't fill up games and the balance is the same. The game above was 4v3 for the most part. The only thing improved matchmaking seems to offer is more chaotic team balance, more empty spots and longer waiting times, which can lead to very frustrating sessions.

That's the best performance I have seen. I have had more points, but 0 deaths makes all the difference.

I like melee the way it is. If melee was two or three kills it'd be useless – you'd likely be able to gun down your opponent before then.

I don't mind the one-hit kill aspect, the problem is in the way it connects. You can be standing straight in front of an enemy, kick him, and nothing will happen, and suddenly he'll kick you in your shin and you'll die. Sometimes it has lunge, sometimes it doesn't, and it's very frustrating when you get killed by someone who just sticks their leg out and hopes for the best.

Alx

I know I was terrible at the game at first (now I'm just bad :p), but I had a lot of fun and learned a lot switching between base weapons. Using the smartgun helps practicing wall running without bothering too much with gunplay, using the carbine helps practicing your aiming, and the shotgun for close quarter combat. Use grunts as target practice, and enjoy the Titan rides. Pilots will probably kill you a lot before you get better, but Titanfall is still very entertaining even when you get slaughtered.

Alx

I thought disk installs were an OS-based feature on 360 that would work with any game ? (even those that weren't designed for it, like Halo3)

tauke

The Arc Cannon challenge is time consuming for me as the range is quite short to connect to another Titan.

At least I manage to get one Gooser so far accidentally with the Arc Cannon. I guess as long the ejected pilot is nearby an enemy that got hit by the Arc Cannon, it still counts as long the pilot haven't land yet.

Other than that, Respawn might want to look into the Campaign matchmaking too. My team is like all regen players versus non regen players who below lvl 45. Owned them throughout the campaign lol. They refuse to leave the match even though losing non stop...

I don't mind the one-hit kill aspect, the problem is in the way it connects. You can be standing straight in front of an enemy, kick him, and nothing will happen, and suddenly he'll kick you in your shin and you'll die. Sometimes it has lunge, sometimes it doesn't, and it's very frustrating when you get killed by someone who just sticks their leg out and hopes for the best.

That's fair, though I haven't had too many problems with netcode issues.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
I know I was terrible at the game at first (now I'm just bad :p), but I had a lot of fun and learned a lot switching between base weapons. Using the smartgun helps practicing wall running without bothering too much with gunplay, using the carbine helps practicing your aiming, and the shotgun for close quarter combat. Use grunts as target practice, and enjoy the Titan rides. Pilots will probably kill you a lot before you get better, but Titanfall is still very entertaining even when you get slaughtered.

Stick to the walls/rooftops. Half the fun is chaining together sick dash combos

Sounds like good advice, thanks guys :)

tauke

That's fair, though I haven't had too many problems with netcode issues.

Oh boy how I hate the damn melee netcode. Many times I got executed (the neck breaking stuff) when the other player is clearly in front of me and as usual the killcam shows the fellow manage to circle around me to perform the execution.

It's been awhile since I play Valve's own Source engine (CS GO and TF2) and rarely use melee in both games (except for Heavy KGB which still need to power up to get one hit kill).

bluehat9

Played this for really the first time yesterday. Only went through the campaign, but man does it seem like militia is at a disadvantage. I think I only won 2 of those matches in campaign, but when I switched over to IMC side I won the first 5 straight. I guess it was because it looked like the same militia team (with a couple level 1s) hung in there the whole time, but I thought the flip was crazy.

Really like the game though. Finally got an idea of how to use my titan and keep it alive more than 30 seconds in-game and climbing out and shooting pilots that climb on mine makes me laugh every time.

If I rodeo a titan and get it to turn to the the red and yellow bar, am I supposed to jump off right then? I don't know when they actually explode?

Stainless

Took several days off from the games this past week but sort of started back last night. (after a few games of BF4) I'm still Gen 4 and only need about 10 more DMR pilot kills then I will be using the autopistol until I finish that. I haven't hit L33 so my charge rifle challenge hasn't started yet. Really not looking forward to it as I've heard a lot of people complain about it. DMR has been much easier and more enjoyable than I thought it would be.

Argonomic

Oh boy how I hate the damn melee netcode. Many times I got executed (the neck breaking stuff) when the other player is clearly in front of me and as usual the killcam shows the fellow manage to circle around me to perform the execution.

It's been awhile since I play Valve's own Source engine (CS GO and TF2) and rarely use melee in both games (except for Heavy KGB which still need to power up to get one hit kill).

It is not the net code. It is the fundamentally inconsistent nature of latency. It's a complicated thing to explain without a white board but here's the quick version:

Due to lag, everybody sees everybody where they were, not where they are. You are effectively in the future, and everybody is trying to hit the you in the past.

When somebody melees you, they are hitting you where you were at the time their foot extended, but keep in mind this is where you were awhile ago, because they are trying to hit a version of you in that is in the past.

When you die in a melee battle, it is because they hit first. Due to lag, you may have hit too, but they hit first, so they get the kill.

This is why you can run around a corner and still die. Overall though it works well for bullets and projectiles and player movement.

Our current melee feels laggy because it has some intentional delay before it connects. This was to counteract the high speed of pilots. We didn't put the usual instant-kill melee in because it is too strong with high speed. It's not ideal though, because of the nature of latency.

sunofsam

If I rodeo a titan and get it to turn to the the red and yellow bar, am I supposed to jump off right then? I don't know when they actually explode?

You can, you've "doomed" it and get points for it's death. You can stay on and keep shooting it to make it die faster, and possibly kill the pilot - you will get propelled into the air when it explodes. However, you will die if you stay on it and it is having a nuclear explosion (white light, vibrating).

Change default control scheme to Bumper Jumper Pilot and get used to it, you'll thank me later.

Coconut

Banned
Played this for really the first time yesterday. Only went through the campaign, but man does it seem like militia is at a disadvantage. I think I only won 2 of those matches in campaign, but when I switched over to IMC side I won the first 5 straight. I guess it was because it looked like the same militia team (with a couple level 1s) hung in there the whole time, but I thought the flip was crazy.

Really like the game though. Finally got an idea of how to use my titan and keep it alive more than 30 seconds in-game and climbing out and shooting pilots that climb on mine makes me laugh every time.

I usually jump off after it's gets to it's doomed state unless no one is a around and in that case I just shoot it till it blows up.

tauke

It is not the net code. It is the fundamentally inconsistent nature of latency. It's a complicated thing to explain without a white board but here's the quick version:

Due to lag, everybody sees everybody where they were, not where they are. You are effectively in the future, and everybody is trying to hit the you in the past.

When somebody melees you, they are hitting you where you were at the time their foot extended, but keep in mind this is where you were awhile ago, because they are trying to hit a version of you in that is in the past.

When you die in a melee battle, it is because they hit first. Due to lag, you may have hit too, but they hit first, so they get the kill.

This is why you can run around a corner and still die. Overall though it works well for bullets and projectiles and player movement.

Our current melee feels laggy because it has some intentional delay before it connects. This was to counteract the high speed of pilots. We didn't put the usual instant-kill melee in because it is too strong with high speed. It's not ideal though, because of the nature of latency.

Thanks for the detail explanation. Interesting to see if there is a way to at least improve feel of connecting the melee attack. Although the melee attack unintentionally leads to what I see as a match of ballerina of instant death kicking. :)

You can, you've "doomed" it and get points for it's death. You can stay on and keep shooting it to make it die faster, and possibly kill the pilot - you will get propelled into the air when it explodes. However, you will die if you stay on it and it is having a nuclear explosion (white light, vibrating).

When you still rodeo a Titan that is about to nuclear explode, you actually get ejected to the air with the enemy pilot in it (if said enemy pilot eject manually or have auto-eject equipped). Still I'm unsure if the ejected enemy pilot actually hovers above you or lower but from my experience they are slightly above you so do look up and kill them if possible.

Izuna

Banned

Glad to know my thinking was correct on this issue. It seems annoying when I run and try to get into cover while I see someone distracted only to die where I should be safe, but it's not a problem with Titanfall.

But by saying "our current melee" means that you will change it? I hope you don't remove it's ability to OHKO.

tauke

Man any ETA on the Gooser update? Been trying to farm them for days now and only at 26 or so. Motherfuckers and their cloaks.

I still got 49 more left to go lol. Busy doing damn arc cannon challenge which after I'm done with it means chaingunning any ejected pilot that doesn't cloak.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom