• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Titanfall |OT| Titan Online. Signal When Ready.

Status
Not open for further replies.

turcy

I average playing Titanfall about 2 hours a week since it has been released. If that. I am at Level 27.

Either I have just really lost my touch at playing FPS's, which is absolutely a possibility and one in which I do not deny could very well be the case, and/or this is a FPS that really favors those who put in the time to take the time to learn the maps, etc.
I absolutely acknowledge the fact that time is the key factor to being successful in a FPS is the more you play, the better you get.

However I still feel there are some FPS's out there that one can still remain at least somewhat competitive without putting in the time. Battlefield immediately comes to mind. Even though I do not have the time to put in with it, I still can have fun playing it. I do not feel completely useless. Then again I have played BF since its inception, so even though it has changed over the years, I still am very familiar with the core gameplay and approach.

With Titanfall I do not get this feeling at all. Especially as of late I am pretty much ALWAYS the bottom player now.

I did try the matchmaking Beta option to find some matches. It seemed to do nothing at all except throw me in servers where the game lagged all over the place. I was still on teams where everyone was at least Gen 2 or whatever it is.

So I want to enjoy Titanfall, I really do, but due to my time constraints and interest in still playing other games, I really cannot enjoy playing it. It also seems as if, right now at least, the matchmaking aspect of it does not work at all.

I fear the world of online MP's has just passed me by. Or is there somehow a way to create a FPS that one can still remain competitive while playing it without putting in the same amount of hours that everyone else that is playing it does? Will the matchmaking aspect every get fixed? Or will it not even matter.

I just wish there was a clear way to play the game with others like myself, who play it casually here and there when they can. I know I would have fun then, as when the game was first release I held my own, even got 3 MVP's somehow. But as the weeks have gone by since its release, and my time is still extremely limited, I now find myself playing a game I have zero fun with as I cannot compete.

Not sure why I bothered sharing this as I am sure anyone who is active in this thread is in the exact opposite situation of myself and is playing the hell out of it. But perhaps there are a few people in a similar situation, and I guess I am looking to see if they are also experiencing a similar situation, or if the truth of the matter is I just no longer have what it takes to play against others online.

you're not the only one!

i haven't gamed on a PC in nearly 10 years? but i used to be a CS:S GOD, and very competitive at any FPS i ever touched.

i don't know what it is about Titanfall, but i'm really struggling to stay competitive - not sure if it's the lack of time committed [i also can only put in about 2 - 4 hours a week tops] but i just can't seem to keep up with the people in this game.

maybe too many years spent playing FPS' on my 360? i'm not sure, although i'm at least not hitting last place anymore in every game.

Conezays

Don't know if it's just me, but fairly regretful in having picked the game up on PC...seemed fun at first, but gets *real* old quickly IMHO. Glad if others are having a good time though...I know my friend is on XB1.

Coconut

Banned
you're not the only one!

i haven't gamed on a PC in nearly 10 years? but i used to be a CS:S GOD, and very competitive at any FPS i ever touched.

i don't know what it is about Titanfall, but i'm really struggling to stay competitive - not sure if it's the lack of time committed [i also can only put in about 2 - 4 hours a week tops] but i just can't seem to keep up with the people in this game.

maybe too many years spent playing FPS' on my 360? i'm not sure, although i'm at least not hitting last place anymore in every game.

How are you all playing the game? As I've said before to others if you are playing the game like CoD and aren't moving around on the roof tops and instead running around on the ground with the minions your going to get killed real fast. Go watch some gameplay videos and compare your current play style to some of the more successful players.

cluto

Private Match supports 2 to 12 players, with 1 to 6 players on each team.
So even with this new patch and private lobby support, I still can't run around the maps by myself and learn the parkour routes. That's all I want to do. :(

Coconut

Banned
Can someone explain how to eject upwards out of your Titan on xbox? I always climb out and not eject upwards

To engage ejection even if not doomed it's up on the D-pad then you have to tap x as prompted while in the cockpit and that's even if you are doomed. So basically tap on the x button to eject hold x to get out.

turcy

How are you all playing the game? As I've said before to others if you are playing the game like CoD and aren't moving around on the roof tops and instead running around on the ground with the minions your going to get killed real fast. Go watch some gameplay videos and compare your current play style to some of the more successful players.

definitely a good suggestion, however [according to your suggestion] i'm playing it "properly".

i think mine own difficulty lies in getting used to KB + Mouse again, as i've been gaming with thumbsticks for years, and just can't seem to hit anybody :/

edit: never played any COD on PC past the first one + united offensive expansion

Coconut

Banned
definitely a good suggestion, however [according to your suggestion] i'm playing it "properly".

i think mine own difficulty lies in getting used to KB + Mouse again, as i've been gaming with thumbsticks for years, and just can't seem to hit anybody :/

edit: never played any COD on PC past the first one + united offensive expansion

Plug in a 360 controller that's how I play and I'm not trying to toot my own horn but I do very well.

CS also caters to a very horizontal style of play inline with cod. Really you should playing this game as if you are a scout from TF2.

ascii42

Decided to rent the 360 version from redbox yesterday. I've played a couple of campaign missions. We lost both, but I was second on my team in the first mission. I was last in the second. I don't know what it was, just couldn't get anything going.

FyreWulff

Decided to rent the 360 version from redbox yesterday. I've played a couple of campaign missions. We lost both, but I was second on my team in the first mission. I was last in the second. I don't know what it was, just couldn't get anything going.

Due to the way campaign works (IMC first, Militia second), the Militia side players are automatically more experienced than you are.

Once you play more matches the games start getting less lopsided

ascii42

Due to the way campaign works (IMC first, Militia second), the Militia side players are automatically more experienced than you are.

Makes sense. I also think I do better at goal oriented game modes rather than just deathmatch types.

Dankul

I think it may be random which side you play first as I started with the Militia (PC version).

Yeah, I did Militia first, so it should be random.

By the way, I unlocked the Stryker first, is that the same for everyone or is the titan you unlock first dependent on which side you fight on?

Daigoro

picked up the 360 version today and just played for about 5-6 hours straight. ive played the One version for a few hours previously over a friends house.

its a lot of fun. the 360 version is great. feels like the exact same game, just uglier. im having a ball.

picked up the 360 version today and just played for about 5-6 hours straight. ive played the One version for a few hours previously over a friends house.

its a lot of fun. the 360 version is great. feels like the exact same game, just uglier. im having a ball.

Glad to hear. I'll be jumping in tonight! :)

turcy

Plug in a 360 controller that's how I play and I'm not trying to toot my own horn but I do very well.

CS also caters to a very horizontal style of play inline with cod. Really you should playing this game as if you are a scout from TF2.

again, great suggestion - thanks!

just went to the drug store to see if they had the wireless 360 adapter for the pc, no luck - will buy one online and wait to see if that helps!

that being said, finished mostly 2nd / 3rd in the matches i played today - so maybe i'm getting better finally?

*also notice the game is running much better recently, i updated to the beta Nvidia drivers, but now i can run 1440p w/ 4x MSAA with no drops at all [no matter what's on screen] - good news i suppose? [running on a 4770k with 780ti classified]

edit: just bought the dongle on Ebay, hopefully it won't take too long to show up. :)

BondFancy

Anyone else having an issue with in-game chat in Titanfall for Xbox One? When I'm in a party it shows I'm talking then when in game it acts like I'm muted and everyones voice comes through the tv o_O?

antitrop

The SLI improvements are real. I was able to raise the resolution from 900p to 1080p and raise some settings, and the game now maintains 60fps like 95% of the time, but sometimes it will still drop down to as far as 30fps when nothing is happening.

There is just something about this engine that is fucked up. Putting all the settings on Low changes pretty much nothing, still 60fps 95% of the time, with massive sustained drops to 30 for no reason.

I've never really come across anything else like this in a game before. There are times where I'll be in massive multiple Titan fights maintaining locked 60, and then later on I'll look at a random part of the map with nothing happening and the game's framerate will cut itself in half.

Tokubetsu

This fucking pc patch taking longer than a Payday 2 patch to install.
The SLI improvements are real. I was able to raise the resolution from 900p to 1080p and raise some settings, and the game now maintains 60fps like 95% of the time, but sometimes it will still drop down to as far as 30fps when nothing is happening.

There is just something about this engine that is fucked up. Putting all the settings on Low changes pretty much nothing, still 60fps 95% of the time, with massive sustained drops to 30 for no reason.

I've never really come across anything else like this in a game before. There are times where I'll be in massive multiple Titan fights maintaining locked 60, and then later on I'll look at a random part of the map with nothing happening and the game's framerate will cut itself in half.

I really think it's something with their texture work. How it's being loaded to vram etc. I get this problem sometimes where the first 30 seconds or so of a match will have horrible jumpy framerate but it'll be smooth after. It doesn't happen often, but enough to notice when it does.

jet1911

They broke the Source Engine by stretching it too much.

psn

One of the worst ports I've played the last months... It started with over 30GB of sound files (!) and ended with massive framedrops out of nowhere, on a PC that is able to render BF4 in 1080p maxed out with stable 60fps+.

ascii42

Finished the Militia campaign, I'll probably start tackling IMC tomorrow. Finally won some missions, and even was first on my team on the last couple of hardpoints. I don't think I'm great at the game, but I think a lot of other people just don't do much toward the objectives. I actually was last on my team on one Attrition mission. That was embarrassing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom