• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Titanfall |OT| Titan Online. Signal When Ready.

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's pretty lame. I can't understand how people have fun playing against newcomers like that. Why not join a middle school wrestling team while you're at it?

Except there's rules in place preventing me from joining a middle school wrestling team :( Perhaps if the game had decent matchmaking, this wouldn't be a problem?

As someone mentioned, it makes the generation challenges bearable. IMO, the mandatory challenges take the fun out of playing the game. They also ruin the gameplay because you have players essentially being forced to use weapons they would normally never touch, resulting in sub-par performance and in some cases, being the main reason for a loss. I gave up on Last Titan Standing for this very reason - if you don't have a full team of 6 then every room you join you'll have teammates using the plasma railgun for generation 3 and doing awful with it.

Personally, I think the game is far too balanced, but I completely understand why. I just miss the old IW that wasn't afraid to be completely unorthodox, that didn't entirely care about balancing. Remember MW2 where balancing went right out the window?

Harrier > Chopper Gunner > Nuke
Lightweight + Marathon + Commando
One Man Army + Danger Close
Javelin Glitch + Care Package Glitches

Sigh. It was the best of times, it was the worst of time.

Argonomic

Thanks for the reply, my bad. Thought it was always IMC because I had no choice.
Doesn't change the bad balancing but apparently you are working on it.

We are working on the matchmaking, but that is not a campaign specific issue. Campaign requires players available for each side on each map. There is nothing special we can do to increase the number of players that are currently on that map.

We could incentivize more players to play campaign, or make campaign only available at certain times, to increase the density of people playing it.

My suggestion is that you complete campaign during peak hours and then move on to regular multiplayer.

Phisto

Neo Member
Except there's rules in place preventing me from joining a middle school wrestling team :( Perhaps if the game had decent matchmaking, this wouldn't be a problem?

As someone mentioned, it makes the generation challenges bearable. IMO, the mandatory challenges take the fun out of playing the game. They also ruin the gameplay because you have players essentially being forced to use weapons they would normally never touch, resulting in sub-par performance and in some cases, being the main reason for a loss. I gave up on Last Titan Standing for this very reason - if you don't have a full team of 6 then every room you join you'll have teammates using the plasma railgun for generation 3 and doing awful with it.

Personally, I think the game is far too balanced, but I completely understand why. I just miss the old IW that wasn't afraid to be completely unorthodox, that didn't entirely care about balancing. Remember MW2 where balancing went right out the window?

Harrier > Chopper Gunner > Nuke
Lightweight + Marathon + Commando
One Man Army + Danger Close
Javelin Glitch + Care Package Glitches

Sigh. It was the best of times, it was the worst of time.

I dunno, how long did it take for your above examples to emerge in MW2? Titanfall already has, in similar order to your list:

Atlas Damage Core + Triple Threat + Cluster Missile
Adren Transfusion + Advanced Parkour Kit + SMG or Shotgun (I mean JFC if you liked Lightweight/Marathon/Commando this will blow your mind)
Unlimited Satchels/Grenades + Explosive Pack
Silenced Carbine and .45 Auto Pistol in general
Titan Burn cards to start a match

That's just off the top of my head, and I'm sure there's plent of other examples that really work for people. Perhaps the combinations aren't as frequent (burn cards) or don't work for every playstyle, but when you find something that works for you hoooooo boy watch the fuck out.

I think I had like 20 rodeo kills before I unlocked the Spitfire, and then I got the rest in only 6 or 7 games. It makes a massive difference. I'm pretty sure it's a challenge on the same generation, too, so it worked out perfectly.

I dunno, how long did it take for your above examples to emerge in MW2? Titanfall already has, in similar order to your list:

Atlas Damage Core + Triple Threat + Cluster Missile
Adren Transfusion + Advanced Parkour Kit + SMG or Shotgun (I mean JFC if you liked Lightweight/Marathon/Commando this will blow your mind)
Unlimited Satchels/Grenades + Explosive Pack
Silenced Carbine and .45 Auto Pistol in general
Titan Burn cards to start a match

That's just off the top of my head, and I'm sure there's plent of other examples that really work for people. Perhaps the combinations aren't as frequent (burn cards) or don't work for every playstyle, but when you find something that works for you hoooooo boy watch the fuck out.

I don't think it's entirely a fair comparison. The entire point of burn cads is most folks find them acceptable regardless of how cheap they are, because once you die or use them they're gone for good, as opposed to perks a la MW2 where you had it 24/7. And there's really a counter to it all in Titanfall, whereas in MW2 there that was far more difficult to counter. The only way to truly counter danger close was to use it yourself and if you didn't have a noobtube or rocket, you were fodder the entire match.

Phisto

Neo Member
I don't think it's entirely a fair comparison. The entire point of burn cads is most folks find them acceptable regardless of how cheap they are, because once you die or use them they're gone for good, as opposed to perks a la MW2 where you had it 24/7. And there's really a counter to it all in Titanfall, whereas in MW2 there that was far more difficult to counter. The only way to truly counter danger close was to use it yourself and if you didn't have a noobtube or rocket, you were fodder the entire match.

Maybe not a fair comparison, but perhaps shows an evolution in the devs thinking? Big part of Titanfall has been making sure the maximum number of people can have fun, from newbies to pros.

You can still Hulk-out and utterly dominate, but you can't pull that card every respawn. I find that more satisfying, because then it makes those times more special, but to each his own of course.

Logoth

Banned
StealthKit.png

So yeah the stealthkit is pretty good guys.

But it's a late level unlock :|

border

First Titanfall DLC revealed at PAX.

It's called Titanfall Expedition. Artwork shows a Titan in a Mayan-ish ruin.

One map has heavy forests, you can wallrun on tree trunks.

That DLC reveal is pretty cool actually. I'm glad they're going to do a new environmental theme instead of more city and industrial maps. (which I like but I don't need more of.)

Hopefully the other two DLC packs are fairly unique in that regard as well.

Only 3 maps, though? Hopefully there's other content in there to make it a bit more worthwhile. I was expecting at least 4 or 5.

Map looks bad ass, though.

Atone13

I think I had like 20 rodeo kills before I unlocked the Spitfire, and then I got the rest in only 6 or 7 games. It makes a massive difference. I'm pretty sure it's a challenge on the same generation, too, so it worked out perfectly.

I'm currently working on that brain surgeon challenge but was wondering if anyone could answer a question. Does just dooming the titan while rodeoing count? or do you have to stay aboard and damage it through its doomed state till it actually explodes?

B3N1

That DLC reveal is pretty cool actually. I'm glad they're going to do a new environmental theme instead of more city and industrial maps. (which I like but I don't need more of.)

Hopefully the other two DLC packs are fairly unique in that regard as well.

Yeah, cool.

But I NEED snow. We have some jungle on Lagoon/Overlook and a bit on Smuggler's Cove but there is not an inch of snow on any of the maps.

Just played 3 maps in campaign mode on the 360 and I am really disappointed.
Played 5 hours of the PC beta and after the initial wow factor, I knew that the underlying gameplay isn't a longterm thing for me, it feels too shallow. I still had a lot of fun though so I decided to pick up the 360 version, see what the fuss on the campaign is about and enjoy it for a short time.

Unfortunately, the feeling from the beta didn't come back just now. Maybe it is because I tried PvZ: Garden Warfare right before which impressed me right away.

I knew from the critics that the campaign is barebone but I didn't expect it to be that thin. Not even some cutscenes at the start and you barely know what is going on. The game has such a great atmosphere and the intro was well done, I just want to know more of this universe and the campaign mode is just a big missed opportunity.
It's also funny how the campaign mode is the reason for the unbalanced teams because you have to do the IMC storyline first. My first match was literally 5 level 1 guys against level 20-40 Militias.

I play with the Bumper Jumper Pilot control scheme right now which makes everything accessible in every situation. I just forgot how uncomfortable the bumpers of the 360 controllers are when you use the left analog stick :/

Agreed. I haven't played the game but watched several videos of the campaign and tutorial. What I think is sorely lacking in this game is the variety of weapons for both the Titans and the pilots. No grenades, no melee weapons, and no variety of good weapons for the Titans. They could have at least gave a Titan a pistol revolver for those that like precision.. Or even a sniper rifle. No energy swords, blades, etc.. nothing. No C4, flaming weapons, etc.. just too shallow for me.

-M

I'm currently working on that brain surgeon challenge but was wondering if anyone could answer a question. Does just dooming the titan while rodeoing count? or do you have to stay aboard and damage it through its doomed state till it actually explodes?

You need to doom it and then stay on until either a. the pilot ejects which causes you to eject with him, or b. you completely kill the titan. If you jump off after you doom the titan or the pilot gets out and kills you before you can finish it off, it doesn't count. At least that's how it was for me.

Atone13

You need to doom it and then stay on until either a. the pilot ejects which causes you to eject with him, or b. you completely kill the titan. If you jump off after you doom the titan or the pilot gets out and kills you before you can finish it off, it doesn't count. At least that's how it was for me.

Got it, ty much. Was wondering why i was dooming titans but not getting credit for the challenge lol

Agreed. I haven't played the game but watched several videos of the campaign and tutorial. What I think is sorely lacking in this game is the variety of weapons for both the Titans and the pilots. No grenades, no melee weapons, and no variety of good weapons for the Titans. They could have at least gave a Titan a pistol revolver for those that like precision.. Or even a sniper rifle. No energy swords, blades, etc.. nothing. No C4, flaming weapons, etc.. just too shallow for me.

-M
Titanfall has probably the most deep multiplayer gameplay for a first person shooter in years. You're right though... There's no flaming swords...

-M

You don't even know.

There actually is a sniper rifle equivalent.

Rizsparky

-M

I'd love melee weapons that could replace primary weapons, energy blades/hammers and other melee weapons would be pretty awesome.

-M

I think Titans have the best balance and diversity of weapons. It's the pilots which have a limited selection of viable weapons

Zeliard

• Capturing a hardpoint from 150 to 250
• Assisting in capturing a hardpoint from 75 to 100
• Neutralizing a hardpoint from 50 to 150
• Assisting in neutralizing a hardpoint from 25 to 75
• Killing a player inside an enemy hardpoint from outside (nearby) from 75 to 50
• Killing a player inside an enemy hardpoint from outside (far) from 75 to 50
• Killing a player inside an enemy hardpoint from inside the hardpoint from 75 to 50
• Killing an NPC inside an enemy hardpoint from inside the hardpoint from 25 to 10
• Killing a player outside of a friendly hardpoint whilst inside of a hardpoint from 75 to 50
• Killing a player inside of a friendly hardpoint whilst inside of a hardpoint from 75 to 50
• Killing an NPC outside of a friendly hardpoint whilst inside of a hardpoint from 25 to 10
• Killing an NPC inside of a friendly hardpoint whilst inside of a hardpoint from 25 to 10
• Defending a hardpoint now goes from 75 to 25

Here's a brilliant idea - let's greatly incentivize offense over defense in a capture and hold match type, thus ensuring that everyone but the most team-conscious pub players (lol) will jump to the next point as soon as one is captured. Capture and hold becomes capture and run. An idiotic merry-go-round ensues.

antitrop

An idiotic merry-go-round ensues.
Yup, I voiced this exact concern when they first nerfed the Defense points weeks ago. With no real personal incentive to actually defend a Hardpoint, it just becomes a lame game of musical chairs.

Do I think they ruined the best mode in the game? Yes, I do.

The original way it was, you always had to be careful when entering an enemy Hardpoint, because there was probably someone in there camping (with satchels). Now 9 times out of 10 you can just run directly into an enemy Hardpoint without issue.

def sim

Someone asked the respawn team (Microsoft panel at PAX) if they were going to add weapons. Answer was, "most likely won't happen."

antitrop

Someone asked the respawn team if they were going to add weapons. Answer was, "most likely won't happen."

I don't blame them, Titanfall actually has unique and interesting weapons, instead of tons of minor and slight variations of standard weapon types.

It's easy for CoD or Battlefield to just add another SMG with some different stats and maybe like a Silencer or something.

It's clear that Respawn is trying to make the weapons feel more unique, so I can understand why extra weapons might be too much work to take on for "free content". Especially considering the effect a new weapon would have on game balance, seems like a lot of work.

HelloMeow

It's clear that Respawn is trying to make the weapons feel more unique, so I can understand why extra weapons might be too much work to take on for "free content". Especially considering the effect a new weapon would have on game balance, seems like a lot of work.

I'll make one for them. Modelling, animating and programming.

daedalius

Is the netcode just as janky on Xbone?

On PC, just ran into another guy in a hallway with shotgun, we both shoot each other, I die, but in the replay my guy didn't even shoot at all. My ping was even better than his! I feel like this kind of shit happens all the time, reminds me of BF4's terrible netcode. Its a real turnoff to the game for me.

Is the netcode just as janky on Xbone?

On PC, just ran into another guy in a hallway with shotgun, we both shoot each other, I die, but in the replay my guy didn't even shoot at all. My ping was even better than his! I feel like this kind of shit happens all the time, reminds me of BF4's terrible netcode. Its a real turnoff to the game for me.

I've had a ton of moments where I am around the corner on my screen from an enemy that is shooting me, and in the replay, I was never around the corner.

one of the things that annoyed me about CoD.

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
Charge Rifle is fucking ace if you can maintain distance. I've got 17 critical hits today and who knows how many Titan kills with it. I may complete this challenge before I hit level 50, surprisingly.

Nydius

PM me an example of a Titanfall-like game on Origin that doesn't do this, it would help get it fixed.

Thanks.

Most of my library except for the Mass Effect Trilogy and BF2142 are through Steam so I don't have a vast Origin library to compare. However, the Mass Effect Trilogy (and DLC) updated multiple times without unpacking/installing the entire game all over again.

All I know is that after the patch downloaded, it sat at 18% installed via the Origin installer when the Titanfall audio unpacker (not the Origin overlay) popped up like it did during the initial install. It then went through the entire 34.9gb of audio unpacking again. The Origin patch process indicator didn't move again until the audio unpacker finished.

Yup, I voiced this exact concern when they first nerfed the Defense points weeks ago. With no real personal incentive to actually defend a Hardpoint, it just becomes a lame game of musical chairs.

Do I think they ruined the best mode in the game? Yes, I do.

The original way it was, you always had to be careful when entering an enemy Hardpoint, because there was probably someone in there camping (with satchels). Now 9 times out of 10 you can just run directly into an enemy Hardpoint without issue.

COMPLETELY agree and I said something similar several dozen pages or so back when the nerf first came to light. People bitched about "camping" in a mode that is designed for defense and everyone jumped down my shit saying that the game was supposed to be fast paced. This made me wonder: If that's really the case and Respawn doesn't want anyone "camping" at any point, why did they bother why including a gametype where defense is necessary or including the ability to allow your auto-Titan to completely camp a spot? If they didn't want people - gasp - defending, why not rip off other fast paced gametypes from old arena shooters instead of including these two? Imagine a Titanfall version of UT's Double Domination...

Someone back then suggested pumping up the defense points back to where they were but adding diminishing returns on the points gained from pilot kills while defending that point. In other words, if you're defending and I keep stupidly running in, I gradually become worth less points so you can't just farm pilot kill points... but you get points for properly defending, as per the game's design. I would have no issue with that, but the blanket nerf on defense is just ridiculous.

I can't stand Hardpoint Dom now because it's a big circle jerk. Take a point, run away, lose a point, run back, take a point, run away, lose a point. It's now the dumbest mode in the game.

It's clear that Respawn is trying to make the weapons feel more unique, so I can understand why extra weapons might be too much work to take on for "free content".

It took me awhile to appreciate how differently I need to play with each weapon to be successful.

So while on paper there aren't a lot of different weapons.. I do get drastically different playstyles as a result of the movement + each weapon. Been using the LMG and I can't run around like crazy with it, I have to stay back and watch sight lines to get the kills.

On another note.. just discovered running around with the LMG and an auto titan on follow mode..it's glorious. Confuses the hell out of the enemy pilots.. and if you have Slammer they have to react immediately or else their titan is gone.

HelloMeow

All I know is that after the patch downloaded, it sat at 18% installed via the Origin installer when the Titanfall audio unpacker (not the Origin overlay) popped up like it did during the initial install. It then went through the entire 34.9gb of audio unpacking again. The Origin patch process indicator didn't move again until the audio unpacker finished.
Same here. It took about 15 minutes.

The Cowboy

I can't stand Hardpoint Dom now because it's a big circle jerk. Take a point, run away, lose a point, run back, take a point, run away, lose a point. It's now the dumbest mode in the game.
This is the same for me, when the game came out and during the beta Hardpoint was my go to mode and i loved it, now i hardly ever touch it since the 1st defence nerf, and now the fact they've widened the attack/defence gap even more its made me pretty much give up on the mode.

They took my favourite mode and made the mode i hate the most, the way they have the points now (heck since the last defence nerf even) isn't setup for the game type (its an attack and DEFEND mode) and its making people play it differently than it should be (no one defends), and as such its turned into attrition with cap points which IMO is worse than standard attrition - its the same with CTF, why defend when its the least rewarding thing to do.

I'm actually kinda regretting buying the season pass now if this is how they're going with the modes, i bought the game for CTF and Hardpooint and they're slowly but surely making them my most disliked modes.

Most of my library except for the Mass Effect Trilogy and BF2142 are through Steam so I don't have a vast Origin library to compare. However, the Mass Effect Trilogy (and DLC) updated multiple times without unpacking/installing the entire game all over again.

COMPLETELY agree and I said something similar several dozen pages or so back when the nerf first came to light. People bitched about "camping" in a mode that is designed for defense and everyone jumped down my shit saying that the game was supposed to be fast paced. This made me wonder: If that's really the case and Respawn doesn't want anyone "camping" at any point, why did they bother why including a gametype where defense is necessary or including the ability to allow your auto-Titan to completely camp a spot? If they didn't want people - gasp - defending, why not rip off other fast paced gametypes from old arena shooters instead of including these two? Imagine a Titanfall version of UT's Double Domination...

Someone back then suggested pumping up the defense points back to where they were but adding diminishing returns on the points gained from pilot kills while defending that point. In other words, if you're defending and I keep stupidly running in, I gradually become worth less points so you can't just farm pilot kill points... but you get points for properly defending, as per the game's design. I would have no issue with that, but the blanket nerf on defense is just ridiculous.

If they didn't want any camping maybe they should have rethought the entire cloak think, especially the burn card one. This game filled up with campers quick and ruined the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom