• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Titanfall |OT| Titan Online. Signal When Ready.

Status
Not open for further replies.

zou

My jumping broke the game :<

(attrition, airbase, us east)
YNx9OB4.jpg

Tawpgun

Coolest thing from the panel IMO is the hashtag matching system they want to implement. Sounds like a genius idea for multiplayer games.

For those that don't know, if this were a thing it means we can search for games using #neogaf and we'd get matched with others using the same hashtag. It would be an amazing feature I hope others would copy.

New DLC details!!!

http://www.titanfall.com/news/titanfall-expedition-dlc?linkId=7958833

April 12, 2014
FacebookTwitterGoogle+TITANFALL: EXPEDITION DLC
Today during our panel at PAX East, we revealed details on Expedition, the first DLC map pack for Titanfall. Coming this May, Expedition will introduce three new maps to the Frontier including Runoff, Swamplands and Wargames.

In the wake of the Battle of Demeter, IMC Expeditionary Forces travel deep into Frontier space to recover from their recent defeat. On an uncharted world, the IMC begin construction of a new fleet operations base, using newly acquired water collection and filtration plants to support the new base. When drainage operations reveal ancient ruins and artifacts of an unknown origin in a nearby swamp, Spyglass activates an archaeological team to investigate the site. To maintain battle readiness at the new base, IMC Pilots use simulation pods to train for anticipated Militia raids, based on lessons learned in Angel City and IMC Airbase Sierra.

Titanfall Expedition is the first of three new content packs with each pack available for $9.99. For fans looking to get all three content packs while saving a few bucks, the Titanfall Season Pass is the way to go. Available for a one-time price of $24.99*, the Titanfall Season Pass is available for Xbox One, Xbox 360 and PC and delivers all three content packs as soon as they become available.

*REQUIRES TITANFALL FOR XBOX ONE, PC OR XBOX 360 (SOLD SEPARATELY). CONTENT MUST BE REDEEMED BY MARCH 11, 2016. SEE http://www.titanfall.com/dlc FOR EXPANSION PACK RELEASE SCHEDULE.

tauke

Same here. It took about 15 minutes.

This reminded me that after the last patch, the audio unpacker does its job again although I got other work that time so I just let it be.

Wish Respawn can take a look into solving the audio unpacking stuff for major update in the future.

Swissie

Banned
The matchmaking is, by a country mile, the biggest (probably only) barrier to my enjoyment of the game. I just don't understand why it's so hard for so many developers to group people of similar skill against each other.

tauke

The matchmaking is, by a country mile, the biggest (probably only) barrier to my enjoyment of the game. I just don't understand why it's so hard for so many developers to group people of similar skill against each other.

They should add a mercenary playlist as most matchmaking end up with my team mainly solo vs a party of 3 or 4 players. Not fun. :(

antitrop

But how does one accurately quantify individual skill in Titanfall?

K/D Ratio definitely isn't the way.

RdN

So, I got to lvl 50 on Gen 4 and finally decided to go for the Unlock Everything achievement.. Already did all the Pilot weapons (it was easier than I thought!) and just finished the fucking Plasma Railgun.. Only the Arc Cannon and Triple Threat stand in my way!

E92 M3

There is a LIMITING FACTOR and that is the population. Our sample size isn't millions of people playing at once -- maybe 200k if we're lucky. I do not want to wait more than 3 minutes for a game to form. All they need to do is implement a Mercenary mode as I've said a million times before. It will solves most issues.

They should add a mercenary playlist as most matchmaking end up with my team mainly solo vs a party of 3 or 4 players. Not fun. :(

Yes, as I've said a million times.

HelloMeow

Is that really what we want? I'd rather have good team balancing than some slow skill based system. Because it can get really tedious when you have to play against equally skilled players all the time.

I think the real issue is that teams are persistent. I have said it before. Good players will stick together, while people leave bad teams more regularly. The way the teams work might make sense for campaign, but for regular multiplayer it appears to be an unfitting and trouble causing system.

If you've got one team of decent players, what are the chances of finding a challenging opposing team? Isn't it much easier to just find a number of random players and move all players around to make two balanced teams? Of course there will be parties that you can't split up, but there are obvious ways of dealing with that. Isn't this how a lot of games successfully do matchmaking?

Salsa

it's more about moving around to dodge stuff and connecting full charged shots. Maybe finish a titan that's already taken some damage. It aint easy but it works.

jediyoshi

The way it's set up now, the issue still feels like it comes from their insistence on not switching up your own team after a match is over. The new MM is like a weird side step in the obvious solution of constantly rebalancing teams on a per player basis.

OverHeat

« generous god »
The way it's set up now, the issue still feels like it comes from their insistence on not switching up your own team after a match is over. The new MM is like a weird side step in the obvious solution of constantly rebalancing teams on a per player basis.

Hell no If Im playing with a party I want them in my team.

char0n

Man, matchmaking seems to have gotten worse... got in a few matches tonight, half of the times it was teams full of gen5+s vs a team of mostly no-gens (myself included) and a couple of gen2s. It's almost like the matchmaking algorithm says "group similarly skilled/leveled players together" but instead of as opponents it's just on the same team. I'm all for a challenge every once in a while, but not so much slaughter.

Are the G2A4 or Hemlock BFR any good? I've kinda already got my preferred 4 loadouts (don't have #5 yet) going that I switch between pretty regularly depending on the situation, and I'm wondering if it's worth switching out either the smart pistol (or as I call it, the Grunt Destroyer, great for racking up them attrition points without even thinking) or the DMR Sniper (which can be really good but highly situational/probably least used). They both seem like compromise weapons (g2a4 between a sniper and an AR, BFR between an AR and an SMG) and this doesn't feel like the kind of game where "compromise" is helpful.

antitrop

Because it can get really tedious when you have to play against equally skilled players all the time.
Tell me about it. StarCraft 2's ranked matchmaking was brutal, it tried to get you a 50/50 win/loss at all times.

StarCraft 2's ladder is probably the most stressful gaming experience I've ever had, just because you're always up against fierce competition. You have to be at 100% effort at all times during every game, it was so draining.

antitrop

Plasma Rail gun is a POS, had to say it.

It's really not. I was remarkably effective with it with Instant Shot while I was doing the challenge. I was just circle-strafing around other Titans with the Stryder and doing work.

Without Instant Shot, it's definitely a POS, that's for sure.

Are the G2A4 or Hemlock BFR any good?

Amped Hemlock is pretty sweet, reminds me of the M16A4 from Call of Duty 4.

Forget the regular version, though.

Salsa

It's really not. I was remarkably effective with it with Instant Shot while I was doing the challenge. I was just circle-strafing around other Titans with the Stryder and doing work.

Without Instant Shot, it's definitely a POS, that's for sure.

instant shot reduces the damage to where it's straight up lower than many of the other guns. It kinda makes it more useless

I assume instant-shot is a mod or something, so I haven't even used that yet, but even then I actually quite like the plasma rail-gun. I've been pretty successful with it too.

When you're using it you just can't rush into the middle of a fight like you do with quad rockets. If you keep moving (so probably use the Stryder) and keep your distance your can really tear shit up with that thing.

antitrop

instant shot reduces the damage to where it's straight up lower than many of the other guns. It kinda makes it more useless
Pretty sure Instant Shot does 50% of fully charged damage? That's not so bad. I found myself far too vulnerable trying to get an accurate shot with a charge much higher than 50%, anyway.

Either way, I did the Regen Challenge very easily with IS, but it's not like I'll ever use that weapon again. There are several much more powerful Titan weapons, like the Quad Rocket w/ Rapid Fire or XO-16 w/ Accelerator.

It's also remarkably difficult to kill Pilots with the Plasma Railgun, making it just that much less effective, overall. When I was doing the Railgun challenges, I usually just dashed over to a Pilot and punched them, instead of trying to snipe them with it.

Obscured

Coolest thing from the panel IMO is the hashtag matching system they want to implement. Sounds like a genius idea for multiplayer games.

For those that don't know, if this were a thing it means we can search for games using #neogaf and we'd get matched with others using the same hashtag. It would be an amazing feature I hope others would copy.

Thanks for explaining. I saw reference to it, but didn't know what it meant. That sounds like a great feature.

That DLC sounds interesting, I wonder where they are going with ancient ruins of unknown origin.

Does everyone hate the rail gun? Of course I'm using it to try and hit those 4th gen requirements, and it's a pain in the ass trying to get Titan kills with it. Even trying to kill grunts seems annoying. You basically have to hit them dead center to get a kill. It feels like you're running around with a sniper rifle.

Tetrasides

Neo Member
Does everyone hate the rail gun? Of course I'm using it to try and hit those 4th gen requirements, and it's a pain in the ass trying to get Titan kills with it. Even trying to kill grunts seems annoying. You basically have to hit them dead center to get a kill. It feels like you're running around with a sniper rifle.

It's easy to get kills once you get Instant Shot.

Bydobob

Does everyone hate the rail gun? Of course I'm using it to try and hit those 4th gen requirements, and it's a pain in the ass trying to get Titan kills with it.

I completed the Railgun challenge without difficulty in the end but as antitrop says it's not a weapon I'd go back to. The weapon just encourages negative play, and I felt like a slimeball hanging back and nicking other people's kills. Best class to use in my opinion is the Atlas which has a good mix of durability and manoeuvrability. Also the particle wall, it gives you that protective barrier while you charge up the next shot.

Now if anyone can give me some tips for the Longbow and that demented little popgun they call the Autopistol I'd be grateful. At this rate I'll be going back to the campaign to get my numbers.

Tell me about it. StarCraft 2's ranked matchmaking was brutal, it tried to get you a 50/50 win/loss at all times.

StarCraft 2's ladder is probably the most stressful gaming experience I've ever had, just because you're always up against fierce competition. You have to be at 100% effort at all times during every game, it was so draining.

So true. After the first couple "Seasons" me and my mates had to stop playing because we didn't have enough time dedicated to getting better or maintaining our skill level (we all work full-time and were getting slaughtered at times by much more keen players).

I am really hoping this doesn't become the norm with Titanfall. I have only just got the game and have been encouraging a couple mates to jump in so we can multi together (in the past it's only really been CS that we all have and know).

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!

You will get the hang of it. It's slow going at first. Instant Shot and the Charge Shot can both be used. If you are up against a terrible team use Instant Shot and go for critical hits. It's also best used with Atlas or Stryder as I found myself strafing like a motherfucker avoiding 40mm and chaingun fire. I didn't have a hard time with it, but when I finished it I immediately went back to the chaingun.

Hyb

Banned
I am curious hehe.

Geoff Keighley &#8207;@geoffkeighley 3m
As mentioned during the PAX panel, yes, Respawn did prototype a single player level for Titanfall. Details and footage in The Final Hours.

Jito

Banned
What's with text chat not clearing after games any more? I've had the same text chat from 3 games ago follow me into new lobbies and matches.

Phisto

Neo Member
If one were to Auto-Titan, any thoughts on best loadout?

I try to focus on items that will help the Auto-Titan do what it does (like tactical reactor for the shield). Still pretty ambivalent about what weapon is best.

HelloMeow

If one were to Auto-Titan, any thoughts on best loadout?

I try to focus on items that will help the Auto-Titan do what it does (like tactical reactor for the shield). Still pretty ambivalent about what weapon is best.

There is a perk that increases auto titan accuracy. Maybe that does something useful. Other than that maybe a weapon with some range and a vortex shield, because auto titans don't use smoke.

antitrop

The Guardian Chip would really have to significantly improve the Auto-Titan for me to ever equip it.

I don't think I've ever actually heard of anyone using it, or sharing their experience with it. I've certainly never used it.

Roflobear

There is a perk that increases auto titan accuracy. Maybe that does something useful. Other than that maybe a weapon with some range and a vortex shield, because auto titans don't use smoke.

I don't know about anyone else, but my auto-titan always seems to do the best when it has the triple threat. I think it's because spraying the environment with grenades is bound to do some damage eventually despite the bad AI

Dosia

Is there a GAF group somewhere? I don't play often, and I also am not that good mainly due to not playing often but it would be nice if every time I play I don't lose 300-150. It would be nice to run with some experienced players so I could learn the game more instead of getting boat raced every time I play. Seriously last night the highest my team had was a gen 1 48 and we were matched up against gen 4's through 8. I take my beatings like a man and don't quit, but when the other team has 6 titans at once and your team is lucky to have 2 it is game over.

My GT is Hatings A Hobby

HelloMeow

I don't know about anyone else, but my auto-titan always seems to do the best when it has the triple threat. I think it's because spraying the environment with grenades is bound to do some damage eventually despite the bad AI

That's probably a better strategy. I never really use my auto titan, because I'm much more effective than I would be running around.

Phisto

Neo Member
I'll give Guardian Chip a serious go this Gen 6 and report back. Probably go with Chaingun. Need Rodeo and Mag Launcher kills anyway to advance.

Always feel nervous about Triple Threat because I'm afraid it'll blow itself up. Haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom