• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Titanfall |OT| Titan Online. Signal When Ready.

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's nothing like sneaking up on an enemy Titan, blasting him with a full charge Arc Cannon and Rocket Salvo combo. Great weapon, possibly the best considering the 40mm cannon ammo nerf.

Are people really having issues with the 40mm since the ammo reduction? I haven't noticed a thing.

I knew my obsessive reloading would have some real meaning one day...

HelloMeow

It is really random. Sometimes the server goes crazy and other times it just work.

Luckily the past hours as been kind to me as the hit detection just work. No stress from dying since I know it is my fault and also feeling satisfied killing pilots and minions as every hit counts instead of "hey I just pump one full clip of Spitfire LMG and the fellow still can jumpkick me lol".

Still I wish there is more players. Been seeing the same familiar name.

Yes. Luckily it doesn't happen often. Sometimes there just are a lot of iffy things going on.
The game after that was one of the best games of Titanfall I have had.
je6Hu4ksG8q9Q.png
I probably shouldn't be complaining, but I love this game and these kind inconsistencies are frustrating.

Pegasus Actual

Gold Member
Are people really having issues with the 40mm since the ammo reduction? I haven't noticed a thing.

I knew my obsessive reloading would have some real meaning one day...

The old version with extended mags pretty much wouldn't ever fail me. I could do 1v2 Titan fights no problem so long as I was landing a decent proportion of my shots. With the way Vortex Shield use will cancel a reload, the 40mm becomes much less useful to me with the new ammo count. I'm a fairly compulsive reloader myself in general, but now I have to reload against my will before there is even a break in the action, and that's harmful. It hurts when trying to take down evac dropships as well.

Anyone else just see no point regenning? I'm sat at 50, and if I regen I ... Lose everything in return for a little icon? I'm bad enough at this game without having all my stuff taken away!

I'm with you 100%. All these stupid prestige and regen post ranks are pointless if they dont grant new weapons or abilities that help in game IMO. I could give two shits about a icon next to my name. Id MUCH rather have everything unlocked and at my disposal for whenever i want it.

Yes. Luckily it doesn't happen often. Sometimes there just are a lot of iffy things going on.
The game after that was one of the best games of Titanfall I have had.

I probably shouldn't be complaining, but I love this game and these kind inconsistencies are frustrating.

Damn, how many times did you get called a cheater again after that game?

Rizsparky

I'm with you 100%. All these stupid prestige and regen post ranks are pointless if they dont grant new weapons or abilities that help in game IMO. I could give two shits about a icon next to my name. Id MUCH rather have everything unlocked and at my disposal for whenever i want it.

A fresh challenge, I enjoy starting from scratch.

I do kind of get this... but my thought is always why not just use whatever guns/equipment/perks etc that you want... you can "make believe" you're starting from scratch. Make yourself focus on a gun you hate for a week... limit yourself to only secondary weapons etc. I do wacky shit or limit myself all the time... i dont need the game to force me... but i do kind of understand the appeal. I also hate challenges, XP and all that carrot dangling too... wish all FPS went back to the og approach of everything unlocked and open from the beginning with only a true skill rank next to your name.

It's easy to see why someone wouldn't want to regen.

For me it just adds something extra on top of the game and the carbine is unlocked from the get go.. which being my favorite weapon helps quite a bit.

You also get a ton more xp once you get higher gen.. and it ends up being a game of getting the challenges rather than levels.

In terms of the Arc Cannon.. use it in LTS .. it's a monster in that game mode since people like to bunch up so much.

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
The default Arc Cannon is great against minions, the Arc Cannon with the Capacitor attachment is a Titan killing machine.

I haven't unlocked that yet. I am getting a ton of assists, few kills. It was just a frustrating night all around.

Gen 3 might be my last stop. The fucking plasma railgun is making me put my head through my wall.

Stick to ranged attacks. Getting up in another Titan's face with it is a sure way to get doomed. Fully charged shots on critical spots usually means instant doomage. When you unlock instant shot then you will fare better in close encounters, but I preferred using it from a distance most of the time. If I played a map like Corporate then I used instant shot. Use it with an Atlas or Stryder so you can get out of a close battle fast (I used Atlas 100%).

I ended up taking longer to get pilot kills with satchel charges than I did getting titan kills with the railgun.

Atkison04

I agree. It gives me goals for the game besides just trying to win. I just regened to 5 last night, and I love the new challenges that each new regen brings. Not looking forward to gooser though, as I have yet to goose anyone. It will be fun to try and I'll keep trying unitl I get all 5. Yeah, sometimes my focus is on completing the challenges instead of winning, but it's my lone hour of freetime I get a day to game and I should be allowed to use it in the way that is most fun for me personally. Whatever keeps people having fun!

I do kind of get this... but my thought is always why not just use whatever guns/equipment/perks etc that you want... you can "make believe" you're starting from scratch. Make yourself focus on a gun you hate for a week... limit yourself to only secondary weapons etc. I do wacky shit or limit myself all the time... i dont need the game to force me... but i do kind of understand the appeal. I also hate challenges, XP and all that carrot dangling too... wish all FPS went back to the og approach of everything unlocked and open from the beginning with only a true skill rank next to your name.

My major issue is how these challenges alter how players are playing and thus they might not be contributing (that well) to the match. Just look at the gooser challenge until recently.

The other night two of us carried the entire team; **** knows what the other players were up to. Probably trying to get complete the challenge for shooting a gnat off someone's ass x100 times or whatever you have to do.

Atkison04

My major issue is how these challenges alter how players are playing and thus they might not be contributing (that well) to the match. Just look at the gooser challenge until recently.

The other night two of us carried the entire team; **** knows what the other players were up to. Probably trying to get complete the challenge for shooting a gnat off someone's ass x100 times or whatever you have to do.

This definitely happens too. I was the worst player on my team when I first started the sniper rifle challenge in gen 4. I ended up being able to hold my own very much so once I got a better scope (acog I think?). I was top of my team with atrition points a good bit of the time.

I like the challenges because it makes me use things I wouldn't ever use. I would never pick a sniper rifle in titanfall, but I did for the challenges and learned how to play that style. I'm usually a C.A.R. with counterweight all the way, but why use the same gun over and over and over again just to win a round? Challenging yourself to use something different keeps my interest going.

0racle

There is an issue with the challenge system and it is as follows;

They incorporated the Grunts and the Specters.

If every challenge simply focused on titan and pilot kills people would keep their head in the game and play better.

I find myself guilty of completely ignoring the goings on in game to farm grunts in order to get an easy 10K EXP when im close to maxing out a challenge.

Rewards for regeneration should have been something. Nothing game changing but something simple be it skins for your pilot, guns or titans etc.

There is much that can be improved on in the second game and for that I am excited.

TrueGrime

Stick to ranged attacks. Getting up in another Titan's face with it is a sure way to get doomed. Fully charged shots on critical spots usually means instant doomage. When you unlock instant shot then you will fare better in close encounters, but I preferred using it from a distance most of the time. If I played a map like Corporate then I used instant shot. Use it with an Atlas or Stryder so you can get out of a close battle fast (I used Atlas 100%).

I ended up taking longer to get pilot kills with satchel charges than I did getting titan kills with the railgun.

Thanks for the tip. I'll definitely try this today.

88random

This definitely happens too. I was the worst player on my team when I first started the sniper rifle challenge in gen 4. I ended up being able to hold my own very much so once I got a better scope (acog I think?). I was top of my team with atrition points a good bit of the time.

I like the challenges because it makes me use things I wouldn't ever use. I would never pick a sniper rifle in titanfall, but I did for the challenges and learned how to play that style. I'm usually a C.A.R. with counterweight all the way, but why use the same gun over and over and over again just to win a round? Challenging yourself to use something different keeps my interest going.

This. I would never pick up Longbow in this game were it not for challenges and now I love it. Challenges make you explore new ways to play the game and it's really fun to me.

Daemul

You can definitely notice when higher level players are focusing more on challenges than the match. I'm still 1st Gen, level 45, and was in a game with 5 other players ranging from Gen 2 to Gen 3 facing a team of mostly Gen 1 players. It should have been no contest, but we ended up losing every game we played on the Variety Pack, with my teammates barely contributing to the score in each game. I know they were doing challenges but it was really detrimental to the team. It was fun to see one of them try to use the shotgun and fail epicly though.

One thing I do find really funny is how the Campaign lobbies are full of high level players just farming noobs.

tauke

So I reach level 50 for my Gen 6 run and as usual I unlock more Titan burn cards.

Then the start of the next match, I proceed to use one of the Titan burn card and call in at the start of the match. Who knows 4 more team mates also call in their Titan and we proceed to destroy the other team quickly.

Wish I can record the match as the other team only score around 40 attrition points. Must be demoralizing for them lol.

Anyone else just see no point regenning? I'm sat at 50, and if I regen I ... Lose everything in return for a little icon? I'm bad enough at this game without having all my stuff taken away!

I noticed that I wasn't getting many burn cards once I hit 50. Not sure if it was coincidence or by design. I was down to 2 burn cards in my deck, when I decided I needed to regen. Now I'm back to a full deck.

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
You can definitely notice when higher level players are focusing more on challenges than the match. I'm still 1st Gen, level 45, and was in a game with 5 other players ranging from Gen 2 to Gen 3 facing a team of mostly Gen 1 players. It should have been no contest, but we ended up losing every game we played on the Variety Pack, with my teammates barely contributing to the score in each game. I know they were doing challenges but it was really detrimental to the team. It was fun to see one of them try to use the shotgun and fail epicly though.

I love getting into a match against players going for gooser kills. I never even get back in a Titan once I see them pointing up at me after eject. Select the arc grenade burn card + charge rifle + cloak and proceed to kick their balls in.

I noticed that I wasn't getting many burn cards once I hit 50. Not sure if it was coincidence or by design. I was down to 2 burn cards in my deck, when I decided I needed to regen. Now I'm back to a full deck.

That is strange. My deck has been kept full; admittedly I do forget to use them but I soon get cards back. I think the one downside of not regenning is losing out to the rare burn cards. You can earn them but not at the same frequency (I think).

it doesn't get any better in Gen 4...lol

Generation 3

EXP Modifier: x 1.2
Requirements to Next Level:
If It Moves... (R-97) Tiers: 10, 25, 50, 100, 200
Top Gun (R-97 Compact SMG) Tiers: 5, 15, 30, 50, 75
If It Moves... (Plasma Railgun) Tiers: 5, 15, 25, 50, 100
Titan Killer (Plasma Railgun) Tiers: 10, 20, 30, 40, 50
No Hitter (Satchel Charge) Tiers: 1, 5, 15, 30, 50

Generation 4

EXP Modifier: x 1.3
Requirements to Next Level:
If It Moves... (Longbow-DMR) Tiers: 10, 25, 50, 100, 150
Top Gun (Longbow-DMR) Tiers: 5, 15, 25, 35, 50
If It Moves... (Quad Rocket) Tiers: 10, 25, 50, 100, 200
Titan Killer (Quad Rocket) Tiers: 10, 20, 30, 40, 50
Critically Conditioned (Charge Rifle) Tiers: 5, 10, 15, 20, 30
Top Gun (RE-45 Autopistol) Tiers: 5, 15, 25, 35, 50

I would rather snipe with a pilot than a titan. The railgun's accuracy was a pain in the ass. The satchel kills are a grind also. Would gladly take Gen 4 challenges over Gen 3.

TrueGrime

Titan Killer (Plasma Railgun) Tiers: 10, 20, 30, 40, 50

Lawd have mercy. 50 kills with this motherfucker.

If you could stay out of reach with a stryder/atlas with this gun then it's not so bad. The problem is if you get a couple of persistent pilots. Trying to hit a moving pilot with this gun is all lol.

Atkison04

Question: Last night, for the first time, I was invited to participate in a party (xbone). I accepted the invite, and the party screen popped up on the right hand side of the screen. I could not for the life of me get the party screen to go away. It minimized my gameplay screen down to a 2/3 of the usual size of the screen. How do you get the dang party screen to go away? I pressed, mashed and held every button that I could think of. I needs my full viewing pleasure to have a chance!

Am_I_Evil

Question: Last night, for the first time, I was invited to participate in a party (xbone). I accepted the invite, and the party screen popped up on the right hand side of the screen. I could not for the life of me get the party screen to go away. It minimized my gameplay screen down to a 2/3 of the usual size of the screen. How do you get the dang party screen to go away? I pressed, mashed and held every button that I could think of. I needs my full viewing pleasure to have a chance!

"xbox, unsnap"

zou

hm, so I've been having annoying issues with unsnap recently. Usually in the lobby party/friends will randomly snap itself. And half the time the console stops responding to controller input, only the guide button keeps working. So I can quit to the dash and pull up the quit/sleep menu, but that's it. Can't confirm anything, can't move the cursor.

Been happening couple of times a day. Anyone else have this issue?

Rayme

If the party screen has focus, you can also hit 'B' on the controller to close it.

You can switch focus back and forth by either:
1: Manually going to the home screen, and selecting a window, or...
2: Double-tapping the home button.

In Titanfall, you can also pull that party screen up by hitting Left-Trigger when you're in a (Titanfall) menu. It'll open it and give it focus, and you can just hit 'B' again to close it right from there.

Lawd have mercy. 50 kills with this motherfucker.

If you could stay out of reach with a stryder/atlas with this gun then it's not so bad. The problem is if you get a couple of persistent pilots. Trying to hit a moving pilot with this gun is all lol.

Yes, I think I have 14 so far. I now have instant shot but it doesn't do that much damage. The problem I have even when using Stryder is when you come in contact with another persistent Stryder or even Atlas with a 40mm or Quadrocket that you can't get away from. The railgun sucks at close range so i find myself strafing when I can and punching. If you get two persistent asses on your tail, you are pretty much through.

Oh god this x100. Challenges really do impact gameplay and keep lots of players from playing the objective. Challenges should all be objective focused. No "jump kick 3,000,000 players while doing a 360 fakie off a wall" shit. They're ok when they're "capture/defend 300 flags.. kill 100 hardpoint attackers" etc. but even still... cant they just focus on gameplay mechanics, more weapons, more maps, more gametypes. Time better spent if you asked me.

Atkison04

If the party screen has focus, you can also hit 'B' on the controller to close it.

You can switch focus back and forth by either:
1: Manually going to the home screen, and selecting a window, or...
2: Double-tapping the home button.

In Titanfall, you can also pull that party screen up by hitting Left-Trigger when you're in a (Titanfall) menu. It'll open it and give it focus, and you can just hit 'B' again to close it right from there.

Thanks a ton! I guess I was having trouble getting the focus to be on the party screen. I couldn't figure out how to get to it. Thanks again for responding. Everything has been noted lol.

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
Yes, I think I have 14 so far. I now have instant shot but it doesn't do that much damage. The problem I have even when using Stryder is when you come in contact with another persistent Stryder or even Atlas with a 40mm or Quadrocket that you can't get away from. The railgun sucks at close range so i find myself strafing when I can and punching. If you get two persistent asses on your tail, you are pretty much through.

I went exclusively with Atlas because it's core ability is damage. 2 dashes was enough for me to work with and engaging the damage core ability with the rail gun was very effective. I didn't even change the tier kit to enable quicker core ability recharge ... I bet that would have helped.

TrueGrime

I went exclusively with Atlas because it's core ability is damage. 2 dashes was enough for me to work with and engaging the damage core ability with the rail gun was very effective. I didn't even change the tier kit to enable quicker core ability recharge ... I bet that would have helped.

I think it would be a little better if you didn't have to scope in with the RG to charge it which sort of makes you a sitting duck at close range. I think I'll be stealing plenty of titan kills this afternoon in LTS.

Tawpgun

Turning stim on and wall running from wall to wall while evading enemy titanfire and simultaneously peppering him with sidewinder missles until you doom him has got to be the best gameplay feeling in Titanfall ever.

I wish I recorded more of those instances. You feel like a complete boss when you use your maneuverability to beat a titan.

I'm also having tons of fun using the strider with triple threat, electric smoke, and cluster missle. Dash in, smoke, cluster, chuck some nades in, dash out. Rinse repeat.

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
I think it would be a little better if you didn't have to scope in with the RG to charge it which sort of makes you a sitting duck at close range. I think I'll be stealing plenty of titan kills this afternoon in LTS.

I don't know why they made it that way. With the arc cannon simply holding the RT begins charging, and you can to it ADS or not. It fires when you let go. I don't know why it's not the same for the railgun.

I'm also having tons of fun using the strider with triple threat, electric smoke, and cluster missle. Dash in, smoke, cluster, chuck some nades in, dash out. Rinse repeat.

This setup right here is beast mode for attacking Hardpoints.

Daemul

Jesus, I am so inconsistent in this game. One match I will kill numerous pilots, titans and bots and not die once, the next match I'll barely kill any enemies and I'll die loads of times. I think it has to do with which map I'm on, there are some locations where I just suck playing at, Relic and Airbase immediately come to mind, I play like garbage there. Anyone else have the same problem?

Atkison04

Jesus, I am so inconsistent in this game. One match I will kill numerous pilots, titans and bots and not die once, the next match I'll barely kill any enemies and I'll die loads of times. I think it has to do with which map I'm on, there are some locations where I just suck playing at, Relic and Airbase immediately come to mind, I play like garbage there. Anyone else have the same problem?

Absolutely. Some maps I feel like I can just go nuts and murder everything. Some maps I feel like I almost get intimidated and passive and just get slaughtered. Also, I have more time to game on the weekends (3-4 hours sometimes) versus the weekdays (30minutes to 1 hour), so I feel like I get in the zone on the weekends and pretty much suck/>average during the week. Any other weekend warriors out there?

hoyalawya

I am stuck on the gooser challenge. I have played 70 games in Gen 5 already and has only gotten 3 gooser kills. It is pretty disheartening.

Atkison04

I am stuck on the gooser challenge. I have played 70 games in Gen 5 already and has only gotten 3 gooser kills. It is pretty disheartening.

Only 2 away, right? Be positive, you're 60% of the way there! I just started gen 5 so I don't have any yet. Anxious to see how it all plays out though.

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
My only 2 gooser kills have come from shooting the pilot while I am up in the air with it. They are much easier to see up there since everyone cloaks after ejection. I'm not currently going for gooser kills but when I do I may just eject along with enemy pilots and see if I can pick them off with the Carbine in the air.

Atkison04

My only 2 gooser kills have come from shooting the pilot while I am up in the air with it. They are much easier to see up there since everyone cloaks after ejection. I'm not currently going for gooser kills but when I do I may just eject along with enemy pilots and see if I can pick them off with the Carbine in the air.

Was not aware that those counted as gooser kills. I've managed a few of those myself (with a sniper rifle no less, probably my best moment so far). I will definitely use that tactic if so. I rarely have it happen where the enemy and myself eject too close to each other though.

Squoig

Banned

I had more luck using the Instant Shot mod. It does less damage per shot, but you can get more shots off and you still get the extra shot that the Extended Mag gives you.

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
Was not aware that those counted as gooser kills. I've managed a few of those myself (with a sniper rifle no less, probably my best moment so far). I will definitely use that tactic if so. I rarely have it happen where the enemy and myself eject too close to each other though.

They should count, mine did, all the challenge says is to kill an ejecting pilot. IIRC if you are rodeoing a titan and the pilot ejects, you are thrust in the air along with it and have a pretty good shot at a kill.

Man, I think I have to stop playing Last Titan Standing until some changes are made...last night I spent about an hour playing (on PC) and did not have a single good match. This was because the way matchmaking works right now does not balance the teams, and in each of my games I was left with 1-2 teammates vs. a full team. I tried to stay in order to get a full team going after one or maybe two matches MAX but it persisted beyond that into every match I played. Finally before I needed to sleep I had a full team, in the fourth round, already down 3-0 so it was pretty useless.

In LTS this is particularly devastating, even being down one player gives the other team a significant advantage, but being down 2, 3, or 4 players is a waste of everyone's time. In Attrition or Hardpoint this issue is not as significant. But until this is addressed, I don't think I can spend time trying to play LTS even though it's one of my favorite modes in the game.

hoyalawya

They should count, mine did, all the challenge says is to kill an ejecting pilot. IIRC if you are rodeoing a titan and the pilot ejects, you are thrust in the air along with it and have a pretty good shot at a kill.

I think that I might just equip a shotgun for that. Do I have to wait until the titan detonates before getting thrust up in the air? I usually jump off right after the titan is doom.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom