• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Titanfall |OT| Titan Online. Signal When Ready.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Special C

Wow. The removal of CTF and Pilot Hunter playlists is not a good sign for that community. That's a clear indication the player base is really small. They need to do a great Origin sale or something to improve the numbers.

I'm pretty sure a respawn dev posted in here about the fact that the PC player base is "significantly" smaller than the Xbox one.

From the sounds of it War Games is like the evolution of Titanfall map design and this is the direction I hope they head in for the sequel.

IMO, part of what makes it great is that you're never out of the action as it's so small something is going on nearby and relatively easy to get to. It's also one where the who map is utilized instead of just the center or one particular half.

Izuna

Banned
Okay FUCK.

Remove Pilot Hunter is fine, perhaps some elists will finally learn how to play Attrition instead of hating on it and we will have better competition, but removing CTF right after it was fixed? I was looking forward to playing it today!

At least you guys gave me Expedition Attrition. But still =(

The Cowboy

I'm sorry Respawn, but no matter how small a playerbase is in a mode of play (pilot hunter/CTF), that is no reason at all to remove the modes of play from the standard playlists.

Adding more modes is great (and sorely needed), but removing them? - that's just not right at all, i'm actually quite shocked more of a stink isn't being kicked up over this and Ii really hope some of the major gaming sites pick up on this as its something that should not happen.

I hated your points changes in HP and CTF, but this really ticks me off no end (and it really doesn't inspire confidence in you as a dev team) - i come back into the game for the DLC pack, and the mode i play i prefer is removed? - just WOW.

Daigoro

Okay FUCK.

Remove Pilot Hunter is fine, perhaps some elists will finally learn how to play Attrition instead of hating on it and we will have better competition, but removing CTF right after it was fixed? I was looking forward to playing it today!

At least you guys gave me Expedition Attrition. But still =(

just on PC, xbox still has them.

Izuna

Banned
EDIT: Beaten

Oh...

CTF and Pilot Hunter are both still here on Xbone. Yay!

WEEJs43.jpg

It scares me that despite all this App does, it still needs to be connected to the Xbox One. Shouldn't all this information be accessable in the cloud and not just in our saves? Is this why we don't have leaderboards? Is it also why the PC crashing causes save files to revert?

Tawpgun

Hopefully the reasoning is they're gonna retool it and rebalance it so Titans can't run the goddamn flag. So dumb.

Pilot hunter was kinda eh I guess.

Also these maps are fucking amazing. Wallrun heaven for all of them. Glorious.

The Cowboy

Hopefully the reasoning is they're gonna retool it and rebalance it so Titans can't run the goddamn flag. So dumb.
This was just done a day or so back - yes you read that correctly, they adjusted the mode to improve it and then removed the mode itself strait after (it just boggles the mind).

infe|2no

Neo Member
OMG, i only tried Wargames twice for the moment (i don't have enough time to try it more and i am waiting for tomorrow to get a full vision on this map-pack) but i swear, i love this map!!
it is designed for those who really love to wallrun and speed fighting. i am just wondering now if the map is not too big because most part of time, i was looking for ennemies.
may be this is because i don't really know the map so well... just want to play and play again now :)

Izuna

Banned
Now that I have finally been able to play the new maps on Attrition back to back, I can finally review them. Attrition is the only mode I really know about, so that's all my review is based on.

Swampland

Probably my favourite atmosphere out of all the maps. There is a great balance between typical corridor shooting and space for Pilots to traverse around without being seen. The tree act as a great hiding place as well as a way for Pilots to get to just about anywhere in the map safely without being spotted. The best part about the trees is that while they are safe to hide in (by hanging on them) it is almost impossible to shoot at someone below as there aren't any branches to stand on. The most a Pilot can do here is throw a grenade down.

Most of the battles for Pilots can be fought inside without any Titans intereferring. However, most of the Grunts and Spectres tend to stay near windows and openings, so this usually means that Attrition points tend to spike for Titans and PIlots can't compete without taking a huge risk. On the bright side, Rodeoing Titans is easier in this map as it is easy to escape via the vast number of openings to the inside and also trees to in any direction to escape.

Runoff

I think Runoff might be the best map for tournament play. Runoff is essentially Nexus without the big issue that Nexus had: Minion Farming. Runoff is the only map that when trying to run for Minions in the first minute to get a Titan quickly will you almost always encounter another Pilot on your way. Not only that, Minions aren't bunched together like they are in every other map in the game. In this map you will tend to see top scorers with 20 or less Minion kills and never 60 like Nexus or Colony.

The main thing about Runoff which makes it a great map for pretty much any mode (except CTF) are the two levels. Titans that fall down are have to traverse to a ramp which most of time keeps the Titan fighting at the bottom away from the Pilots. You can punch a Titan down, dash back, and no longer have to deal with it, allowing for some amazing strategy for team Titan fights. It also makes Titans predictable, as they have to travel to specific points to get back up.

With Minion farming almost impossible, this map for me always had some of the closest Attrition battles I have ever had. To put this in perspective, I had just won one match of Swampland with nearly 120 Attrition Points difference and then played a match in Runoff (same teams) with only a 20 point difference. Throughout the rotation this was consistent.

Wargames

Wargames, like Runoff, makes Minion Farming in the first minute almost impossible as they split up, but later on in the match Pilots get screwed over here. What tends to happen in the map is the eventually, one team will have more Titans. When that happens they tend to go either to the middle or to a team's "base". Once this happens, Pilots have no advantage. They don't have anywhere to run after a Rodeo, and if they don't try to fight back, it just so happens that Titans can crouch down and fire Cluster Missiles at many Minions. Think of Wargames like Training Grounds, except much smaller.

However, where Wargames shines is when both teams have Titans, which is usually the case. The pit in the middle does tend to force Titans to the "bases" which also means all Titans tend to fight in the same area. This calls for a lot more teamwork than usual (though not as much as Runoff) -- put simply, Wargames compliments LTS more than any other mode.

--

Now for my Patch review...

For the most part, all the changes make this game much better. Most are no-brainers in terms of how they fix the game, but some make huge gameplay changes.

Eject damage nerf: Prior to the patch this used to piss me off as I would always end up getting doomed for winning a fight. I am very glad this change is in place, as now dooming a Titan with a punch is no longer suicide.

There is however something that still needs patching, and this is both the Atlas Big Punch being way too fast and changing trajectory almost immediately (which makes it almost impossible to get caught in the Nucealr Explosion) and also the bloody drop pods getting Pilots stuck.

antitrop

http://www.titanfall.com/news/addressing-updates-to-pc-playlists

Yesterday we removed CTF and Pilot Hunter as separate playlists in the PC version of Titanfall. This has generated a lot of discussion with the PC community and we’d like to like to address your issues as openly as possible. We have an amazing and large PC audience with the vast majority of users predominantly playing Attrition and Hardpoints game modes. CTF and Pilot Hunter have not been widely used modes on the PC version. Players trying to access these modes had overlong wait times to find other users and it was making for a poor experience. We we want to make sure that not only is there compelling content in the playlists we offer, but that the experience of joining a match works well. We’re tracking what playlists players are choosing, and we’re going to continue to look at unpopular playlists and add new ones on both platforms.

We're currently working on those new modes and updates and can't wait to share the details with you. We will still rotate Pilot Hunter and CTF in for future playlists as well as adding new riffs on gametypes that Respawn is currently working on. Our goal is to have a wide variety of playlists that are popular and changing. That said, we will not remove modes from Private Matches, so there will always be the option to select them for competitive and personal play. Thanks for your understanding as we try to make Titanfall a better experience for everyone.

HelloMeow

They changed/fixed the rag doll when you throw a pilot after terminating his titan with an Atlas. Now the pilot will bounce and fall realistically.

The Cowboy

Such a crappy response.

As i said early, just because a mode is not played by the majority doesn't mean you should take it away from the minority - i paid for the game just like the other people who like attrition and now for me to play the mode i actually enjoy i have to set up a private match? - sorry Respawn, this is not how you treat your paying customers.

You need to put these modes back in the playlists and apologize for treating us like we (people who like these modes) don't matter.

Edit.
Hmm, apparently this post is not allowed on the titanfall blog - the post wasn't approved by titanfall.com (I'd love to know why)..

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
My chat window still isn't clearing, lol. This didn't happen at launch but it persists now. I really love this game but that is really sloppy, Respawn.

Zeliard

Wandered back in to see if they ever tweaked Hardpoint and CTF defensive points, as I stopped playing the game not long after that ill-advised change, and come to find out that they actually removed the CTF playlist. Impressive.

They turn Hardpoint into Attrition and then they remove the other team-based objective mode as a primary playlist. That's... one way to go about things, I suppose.

The Cowboy

Wandered back in to see if they ever tweaked Hardpoint and CTF defensive points, as I stopped playing the game not long after that ill-advised change, and come to find out that they actually removed the CTF playlist. Impressive.

They turn Hardpoint into Attrition and then they remove the other team-based objective mode as a primary playlist. That's... one way to go about things, I suppose.
I can see HP being removed next, i mean if they're actually willing to remove content like this - i wouldn't put it past them.

And yeah, i initially came back to see the new DLC and check if the points had been adjusted back after i stopped playing for the same reason and was completely shocked that they did this instead - it just boggles the mind.
---
I think this is the 1st time in a long time that I'm genuinely pissed off at a game and its dev team, this is a game i was so hyped up for (after playing it in the beta) to the point that i actually broke my "never pre-order rule" and not only pre-ordered the main game but the season pass to - something that i now totally regret after this (Respawn will never get a another purchase from me after this, i mean how can i know if what i buy will still be in the game a month or 2 after release?).

And then they changed the attack/defence points in the 2 modes i bought the game for and ruined them, and instead if fixing that - they removed CTF mode from the playlists and are telling us to sort things out ourselves (in that we need to setup private matches to play it again)?- just amazing PR that is..

I just can't wrap my head around it, then you read the posts from them and they make it sound like they're doing us a favour by doing it?.

FyreWulff

Pilot hunter was kinda eh I guess.

Also these maps are fucking amazing. Wallrun heaven for all of them. Glorious.

They pulled a 343 and updated the gametype and then summarily removed it days later

Got to play some of the new maps. First impressions are very good. War Games is amazing, and something I wish the art direction was from the beginning. Swamplands is also a lot of fun, had a couple of great CTF matches on there.

Still waiting on that performance patch on X1 though, a few hard dips in framerate.

Not overly fond of this Charged Rifle critical shot challenge. Not many Atlas being used, mostly Stryder, and those that are there have Electric Smoke...Rather be goosin'

RoKKeR

Got to play some of the new maps. First impressions are very good. War Games is amazing, and something I wish the art direction was from the beginning. Swamplands is also a lot of fun, had a couple of great CTF matches on there.

Still waiting on that performance patch on X1 though, a few hard dips in framerate.
Is this a real thing that's actually coming?

Also, can you still purchase the Season Pass?

BIGWORM

Interesting glitch:

I'm supposed to be clung to the wall. I did a quick 180 to look at the point and cover my ass after the wall run while clinging at the same time. I think the body's position when you're backturned against the wall and the clinging animation got mixed up while I was doing the 180 and activating the cling, and this is the result.

That's an amped Spitfire. Don't know if that made the difference. While "clung," I was still able to switch from hip fire to iron sights. Weird.

Is this a real thing that's actually coming?

Also, can you still purchase the Season Pass?

They said it was coming before launch, improvements to resolution and frame rate. I believe in response to it not being in this patch they commented that they are still working on it IIRC.

Yes, you can still purchase the season pass.

Ghazi

Any news on when the 360's getting the expansion? Played it at a friend's house today, on the One, and surprisingly didn't like Wargames when I thought it looked the coolest. Other two were pretty sick, though.

j-wood

Can anyone comment on the server population for the PC version? I'm thinking of getting it with the origin sale, but don't want to if it's hard finding a match.

Any news on when the 360's getting the expansion? Played it at a friend's house today, on the One, and surprisingly didn't like Wargames when I thought it looked the coolest. Other two were pretty sick, though.

June. I hated War Games for LTS, but I didn't mind it as much on Pilot Hunter despite hating that mode.

HelloMeow

Can anyone comment on the server population for the PC version? I'm thinking of getting it with the origin sale, but don't want to if it's hard finding a match.

It can get really hard to find a game.

Even if everything goes smoothly, it still takes too long in my opinion. "connecting" windows, loading screens, lobby waiting times and searching for new teams after a beating all add up to unnecessarily long waiting times.

The Cowboy

Its probably not great, if you read above they've just removed 2 game modes (CTF and Pilot Hunter) from the playlists (yes, really!) - due to this i wouldn't recommend the game (heck i wouldn't recommend the game to anyone after that).

It can get really hard to find a game.

Even if everything goes smoothly, it still takes too long in my opinion. "connecting" windows, loading screens, lobby waiting times and searching for new teams after a beating all add up to unnecessarily long waiting times.
I had the worst experience finding matches today. Most always more than two minutes of staring at "Finding Opposing Team" or "Finding Teammates" (with the occasional "Requesting new server"); the worst case took me about 4 minutes to find another team after the previous team I was facing was booted (due to us having twice their points). This was in the Attrition playlists, too, which makes no sense whatsoever to me. At least the lobby waiting time was lowered to 30 seconds!

Izuna

Banned
Didn't know you could "complete" the Training. I wish I had done that the first time. The final wave teaches you a lot of LTS skills.

Adding to my impressions of Swampland, Nuclear works very well. There are traps everywhere where the other Titan can't do anything.
Also I am currently testing out the effectiveness of equiping the Spitfire when the enemy team has Titans and just picking up other people's main and swapping out my secondary.

I didn't know you could carry two main weapons until yesterday.

At least the lobby waiting time was lowered to 30 seconds!

They have mode specific loadouts now, so Variety Pack and like don't need 90 seconds. =)

--

I really like Runoff, jumping on top of a Titan as the Pilot ejects to get a squashing Gooser. =P

EDIT: Yeah, picking up a CAR with the Spitfire in my pocket is fucking insane.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Its probably not great, if you read above they've just removed 2 game modes (CTF and Pilot Hunter) from the playlists (yes, really!) - due to this i wouldn't recommend the game (heck i wouldn't recommend the game to anyone after that).

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaat? Thats ridiculous. Its true Titanfall is not setting any records but there is a perfectly fine group of people playing on PC. I play it everyday and the wait times can be a little long but with the new patch and new maps interest is up and waits are short. Recommending someone skip out just because the playlists have been consolidated is pretty ignorant. The game is not even close to being in danger of having a dead community.

The changes they have made are very good too. Titanfall just got better and you're turning people away.

The Cowboy

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaat? Thats ridiculous. Its true Titanfall is not setting any records but there is a perfectly fine group of people playing on PC. I play it everyday and the wait times can be a little long but with the new patch and new maps interest is up and waits are short. Recommending someone skip out just because the playlists have been consolidated is pretty ignorant. The game is not even close to being in danger of having a dead community.

The changes they have made are very good too. Titanfall just got better and you're turning people away.
They just removed 2 game modes from the playlists, I'd hardly call that making the game better - i also would never ever recommend a game to anyone when the devs do things like this. There is nothing wrong with waiting a bit to get into a game, but that is no reason at all to simply remove the modes from the playlists (which is what Respawn did).

Calling this ignorant is just crazy, you are actually defending a company for REMOVING content from the game that people paid for (i bought this game for HP and CTF) - why would i ever recommend a game to someone when the devs remove content from the game like this?.

I'm glad your happy to support something like this, i never will and i hope they don't up and remove a mode you bought the game for. Plus i honestly never thought I'd see the day I'd be called ignorant because i won't support a company (or recommend it to others) for removing content from a game that i paid for - just wow.

Pegasus Actual

Gold Member
LOL at the hysterics about them removing a couple of modes on PC. Pilot Hunter is garbage, so not too shook up about that one. CTF is a good mode though. I don't know how much I like the no carrying in Titan rule though. Might be better without Titans altogether at that point if you ask me. The way it is now gives coordinated teams way too much of an advantage arranging ride-a-longs.

The Cowboy

Sorry but what's funny about this?, people bought a product and now part of that product has been removed from them - its perfectly fine people are pissed off over this and kicking up a fuss.

i bought this game for certain modes and now those modes have been removed from the playlists, now if i want to play them i have to: play variety mode and go through modes i don't want to play and hope they come up, or: organise outside of the game a match in the mode i want to play.

Sorry, but that is just not right at all.

I'd bet some of the people who are ok with this would be singing a different tune if the modes they did this to happen to be the modes they played most, this is not something paying customers should be putting up with or letting go - this sort of thing should not happen.

Sorry but what's funny about this?, people bought a product and now part of that product has been removed from them - its perfectly fine people are pissed off over this and kicking up a fuss.

i bought this game for certain modes and now those modes have been removed from the playlists, now if i want to play them i have to: play variety mode and go through modes i don't want to play and hope they come up, or: organise outside of the game a match in the mode i want to play.

Sorry, but that is just not right at all.

I'd bet some of the people who are ok with this would be singing a different tune if the modes they did this to happen to be the modes they played most, this is not something paying customers should be putting up with or letting go - this sort of thing should not happen.

I find it a bit strange that Respawn have not given CTF additional time to see if the new changes brings players back to the mode. People might have stopped playing the mode due to being able to carry flags in a titan; it created some very uneven contests.

Pegasus Actual

Gold Member
So hey guys, I thought I would do a quick tutorial on how not to engage Spectres while using a shotgun:

http://a.pomf.se/voogxu.webm

Now obviously this did not happen to me in a game where I was actually trying. Because that would be ridiculous. It was done as a public service to you, the users of NeoGAF. Totally not a real death. Nope. Not me. :(

Zeliard

I just find the decision to remove CTF as a playlist to be incredibly bizarre. Respawn's reasoning is that they want to improve player experience by not having wait times be so long.

Okay, so the solution to that is to remove the game mode entirely as a distinct playlist and specific choice? If people are queuing up for CTF, it's because they want to play CTF! By removing that as a primary game mode you are essentially forcing people to play modes they may not want to, and I struggle to see how that is in any way an improvement to the player's "experience."

Now anyone on PC who enjoys CTF has to play in a variety playlist and hope it comes up during their allotted playtime. That's the superior solution?

Worse yet is Respawn just recently fixed one of the primary complaints players had about CTF, and they didn't even bother waiting to see if that changed anything as far as the mode's popularity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom