• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Titanfall |OT| Titan Online. Signal When Ready.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick

So fucking hype for this game. Haven't been this excited for a release in years, and it's just sitting there staring at me on my hard drive. BE TUESDAY ALREADY.

Kyzon

Who's going digital on this vs retail? I may just go digital because I love switching games by voice. I actually haven't even used my bone's disk drive.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I guess it might be worth explaining why this is - but I find it funny that people see the game doing things "differently" than they expect (i.e. "I'm not at a load screen why is it loading data?!?") and question it. Whats actually going on is we're caching all sorts of stuff. There's a TON of content in each level, as well as content that every level loads. From the main menu on we start caching all that common content, and then once in a lobby we start precaching the level you'll be loading. This keeps load times as quick as possible. We're not just gobbling up memory and VRAM for fun and/or lazydevs - there really is GBs upon GBs of stuff to get resident into memory, and pulling it all from disk into RAM takes time so we amortize it through various means.

Oh, and for questions on GPU drivers; we've been working with all the manufacturers - not sure when but I'm pretty sure most will have Titanfall prepped drivers soon-ish.

I'm glad I spent the extra $50 for a 4GB card. I bought BF4 at a launch and regretted it. Never again for BF. I bought TF fall before launch. Don't let me down, brother.

Did you refresh the page?

"The community has closed this channel due to terms of service violations "

Do you get warnings until a permban, or is it an automatic account ban?

Not sure but it is a shame these streams are being taken down. It's not Gone Home.

I guess it might be worth explaining why this is - but I find it funny that people see the game doing things "differently" than they expect (i.e. "I'm not at a load screen why is it loading data?!?") and question it. Whats actually going on is we're caching all sorts of stuff. There's a TON of content in each level, as well as content that every level loads. From the main menu on we start caching all that common content, and then once in a lobby we start precaching the level you'll be loading. This keeps load times as quick as possible. We're not just gobbling up memory and VRAM for fun and/or lazydevs - there really is GBs upon GBs of stuff to get resident into memory, and pulling it all from disk into RAM takes time so we amortize it through various means.

Oh, and for questions on GPU drivers; we've been working with all the manufacturers - not sure when but I'm pretty sure most will have Titanfall prepped drivers soon-ish.

Are we getting benefits from higher system RAM as well? I noticed in the Beta I experienced relatively few performance problems on max settings without vysnc. I have 16GB and it was definitely being used more than normal.

The Cowboy

Thanks for the info, though I can kinda understand why people have asked why the vram was being used up. I can't recall many (if any) other PC games using almost 100% of a graphics cards vram while just sitting in the menu, as such some people may think its a memory leak or just bad optimisation as nothing was said as to why this is/was. Most people expect partial use of the vram in menus and then for it to fill up during level loading (as that's pretty much how its always been), doing it your way makes sense (now that we know) - but its not exactly common to see vram used up almost 100% at a menu screen and as such some people (like me) where kinda wondering what was going on.

Its like with Windows and how in later releases they put in superfetching/prefetching the move to Vista and so on) etc which loaded all your ram up with data that may get used (caching it), it made it so that your ram isn't just doing nothing and is actually being useful when not actually being use by you (pre-loading data so it loads faster) - however, a lot of people at the time thought the newer OS used loads more ram than previous versions (much more than it actually used) because when they looked at the ram usage it was through the roof (and MS hadn't done a good job at the time of explaining how they'd changed how the ram was being used to preload things)

Again though, thanks for the clarification.

Jito

Banned

Would you be able to answer why we have to download/install 30 GB of uncompressed audio? Is all of that English or am I downloading other languages for no reason. Been downloading for ages now.

Are we getting benefits from higher system RAM as well? I noticed in the Beta I expierenced relatively few performance problems on max settings without vysnc. I have 16GB and it was definitely being used more than normal.

I have 16gb of regular ram as well and don't recall too many performance hits on high settings during the beta as well. I'm considering a change in frame of view for the final version. Interested to know how big of a hit that well be. My GTX 660ti is 2gb of RAM so I might be hitting the max capabilities of my machine.

Can anyone with the XB1 disc recall what percentage needed to be installed to begin playing? I'm curious about the wait when downloading it.

Who's going digital on this vs retail? I may just go digital because I love switching games by voice. I actually haven't even used my bone's disk drive.

This will be the first time I buy a day one $60 game digitally. I figure I'll be playing the game for a long time, and even if I considered selling it at some point it wouldn't be worth much in trade in value. Long term the game will only be playable as long as the servers are active, so it's unlikely you'll be able to boot the game up 20 years from now. So yeah, digital made sense for me. The convenience of never having to mess with the disc is just a nice bonus.

I have 16gb of regular ram as well and don't recall too many performance hits on high settings during the beta as well. I'm considering a change in frame of view for the final version. Interested to know how big of a hit that well be. My GTX 660ti is 2gb of RAM so I might be hitting the max capabilities of my machine.

If you can OC your VRAM to 7GHz you should be pretty much fine. CPU may be holding you back depending on what you have.

My 660 could handle the Insane textures, but it usually ran at around 40/45 fps. Switched to high to get my 60 back, with adaptive Vsync forced on. I might go full Vsync again and sacrifice some other visuals, depending on how well driver updates make the game perform.

Atilac

I just preorded and preloaded titanfall on origin two days ago, now greenman has it for ten bucks offf, fuuuuuuuck!!!!!

Jrs3000

Good explanation. Are you able to say anything about XB1 resolution if a patch will be released to increase it in the retail version or if it will stay final at what is?

Drake

I just preorded and preloaded titanfall on origin two days ago, now greenman has it for ten bucks offf, fuuuuuuuck!!!!!

I used a $7 dollar coupon from GMG. I saw that $10 off offer and I laughed. It's only 3 bucks, but it figures a better deal would roll around before release date.

Does GAF have a thread that deals with just overclocking?

I haven't played around with OCing my video card (Gigabyte Geforce GTX 660ti 2gb ram) or my CPU (i5-2500k 3.30ghz) and I think now is a good time to start.

wowzors

Does GAF have a thread that deals with just overclocking?

I haven't played around with OCing my video card (Gigabyte Geforce GTX 660ti 2gb ram) or my CPU (i5-2500k 3.30ghz) and I think now is a good time to start.

Google for your mobo and 2500k. With a lot of mobos its as simple as adjusting MHz frequency to 100.5 and multiplier to 45.

Graphics cards are a little harder in my opinion. Heard MSI isn't too great with ocing but that gigabyte is usually preoced? I could be wrong on that.

Really loving the satchel charges. They're great for Hardpoint, and for when you're rodeoing an enemy titan and the pilot jumps out. Plant it, jump off, and set it off - you'll get the pilot about half the time, leaving the titan primed to finish off.

Google for your mobo and 2500k. With a lot of mobos its as simple as adjusting MHz frequency to 100.5 and multiplier to 45.

Graphics cards are a little harder in my opinion. Heard MSI isn't too great with ocing but that gigabyte is usually preoced? I could be wrong on that.

I'll take a look around the googles. There are a lot of resources, just trying to pin down what is right for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom