• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TLOU: Remastered MP Microtransaction |OT| "We're shitty people"

jaxpunk

I don't see why it's such a big deal that people are upset. If you're not, great for you, enjoy the game. Some of us aren't big fans of this form of monetization, and I don't think that's such an outrageous thing.

There's literally two threads about how this is a travesty. It was the same way on PS3, I get some people didn't have it on that system. But it's neither a shocking development or news. If you had done the research on the game you'd have know what was up.

But instead we have the, insert rambling thing about how its worse than hitleraids. Who gives a shit, vote with your wallet. That's how devs and publishers learn.

Are you expecting their to be SUCH an outrage on the internet they are gonna make all the dlc free? Is that the goal or is it just to have something to piss and moan about?

le.phat

Well well well. This sucks.

Sony not looking all good now, is it? PS Plus has been terrible on PS4, stupid excuse for EA Access, not proper handling of DriveClub delay and now this, by their most celebrated 1st party developer.

Get your shit together guys.

rolls-eyes.jpg

Well well well. This sucks.

Sony not looking all good now, is it? PS Plus has been terrible on PS4, stupid excuse for EA Access, not proper handling of DriveClub delay and now this, by their most celebrated 1st party developer.

Get your shit together guys.

The age of Sony is done.

I think the other participants have made me antagonistic. Sorry.

What's your impression of them? Do you reckon they're worth it (or at least the Specter, seeing as you have tried it)?

Yeah, Specter is quite good trigger-happy weapon. It's comparable with the other auto rifle but better recoil.

Very expensive to use though. I am not getting any armor because specter itself is quite costly.

Dunlop

Why does this thread even need to exist?
Not only was there another topic for this, but also this seems to exist only to trash Naughty Dog.
Considering games like Battlefield 4, Call of Duty, Tom Clancy, and even Dark Souls 2 does shit like this already I don't see any reason for us to suddenly raise our pitchforks and go "Hey Naughty Dog! You suck!"
Now, yes, this is a shifty business practice, but it's not a huge advantage you can get with the DLC weapons or perks. I've put countless hours into the multi player on ps3 without the DLC and never had any issues against people with the dlc. When I bought it, I still barely used any of the weapons outside of experimentation. And really, outside the Enforcer the dlc weapons are really hit or miss.
As I said before, Naughty Dog dun fucked up for this but they shouldn't have their reputation soured by people who probably haven't played the game (and if you haven't played this game or the MP, you should).

That is why there is a thread and it is deserved and happens to pretty much any game that tries shifty shit

Alienous

There's literally two threads about how this is a travesty. It was the same way on PS3, I get some people didn't have it on that system. But it's neither a shocking development or news. If you had done the research on the game you'd have know what was up.

But instead we have the, insert rambling thing about how its worse than hitleraids. Who gives a shit, vote with your wallet. That's how devs and publishers learn.

Are you expecting their to be SUCH an outrage on the internet they are gonna make all the dlc free? Is that the goal or is it just to have something to piss and moan about?

'hitleraids'?

You are the only person rambling here.

And, as an aside, I don't see how the "vote with your wallet" argument works. If you offer microtransactions, they can only be profitable, unless people decide to skip the core game because of the microtransactions. I bought The Last of Us unware of the microtransactions that eventually seeping into gameplay. And I bought Remastered unaware, like a lot of people, that microtransactions were a part of the game.

If the thread helps people understand that the game has microtransactions, but more importantly what those microtransaction are, I feel like it is serving a purpose.

I think the other participants have made me antagonistic. Sorry.

What's your impression of them? Do you reckon they're worth it (or at least the Specter, seeing as you have tried it)?

It's the only silenced fully-automatic weapon in the game, right? I could see it being OP.

Then again, most of the part bought weapons are.

Haha no worries. I believe it is the only weapon that's silenced right off the bat. I'm not too sure. It has the highest rate of fire but the lowest damage.

Why would ND respond? Most of their fans who bought the game knew about the content and did nothing that I'm aware of. There's no point trying to change anything this late. The sequel will surely have this type of content.

Judging from the trophies most people who bought this game don't play the multiplayer at all.

Looks like you have no idea what you're talking about. The Ripper (submachine gun) is the only DLC weapon worth owning. The Maverick isn't nearly as good as the best default assault rifles.

So 1 DLC weapon that is good.

really...so you don't have to pay for these?

I'm confused. I've downloaded all the content in the OP for free. Thought it was included for everyone, but maybe it's just part of the amazon.de steelbook edition?

Sify64

Judging from the trophies most people who bought this game don't play the multiplayer at all.
That could be one of the reasons, then. Funnily enough, I'm the opposite and didn't really play the single player campaign.
Edit: I didn't find it interesting, so i hope no-one starts whining about me missing out.

Alright. Going to try off the weapons. Right off the bat I can see that the guns are purchasable during the game so you can't use it right away.

Spectre costs 350 parts and comes with 14 bullets. It takes the cartridge to kill an enemy, and after that you don't get any ammo resupply unless you buy it, which costs 420 parts for additional 14 bullets. It also costs 3 load out points.

Edit: Every additional 14 bullets costs 490 and 560 parts as you progress.

Just to note: None of this matters or devalues the point. It's a power weapon, and all power weapons have the same concept: you pay high for a powerful weapon, that has limited ammo. It is most comparable to the Assault Rifle that is available to everyone, except it's silenced, offering a huge edge to the player using the Spectre. Not showing up on radar is a huge thing in a game like this.

Yeah, Specter is quite good trigger-happy weapon. It's comparable with the other auto rifle but better recoil.

Very expensive to use though. I am not getting any armor because specter itself is quite costly.

Yes, but for clarification, this is not new: often in the game, your first big purchase is either a power weapon or armour. If you are successful with either, you earn even more parts allowing you to eventually run with armour and a power weapon every now and then.

Further, if I'm not mistaken, the Specter costs the same in-game points as the Assault Rifle. Even further, those who pay can customize their own loadout to earn points faster, or maximize their efficiency with the Specter loadout. Those who do not pay must rely on the one preset loadout.

Haha no worries. I believe it is the only weapon that's silenced right off the bat. I'm not too sure. It has the highest rate of fire but the lowest damage.

It is. It is the only silenced power weapon (which is a huge thing). The bow is also silenced, but it is not a power weapon. The damage is slightly less than that of the Assault Rifle, but with a higher fire rate and it is silenced.

That could be one of the reasons, then. Funnily enough, I'm the opposite and didn't really play the single player campaign.
Edit: I didn't find it interesting, so i hope no-one starts whining about me missing out.

Sucks. I've always said PlayStation has always been more a single player console, ND puts out a game with phenomenal multiplayer...and no bloody plays it.

Just to note: None of this matters or devalues the point. It's a power weapon, and all power weapons have the same concept: you pay high for a powerful weapon, that has limited ammo. It is most comparable to the Assault Rifle that is available to everyone, except it's silenced, offering a huge edge to the player using the Spectre. Not showing up on radar is a huge thing in a game like this.

Yes, but for clarification, this is not new: often in the game, your first big purchase is either a power weapon or armour. If you are successful with either, you earn even more parts allowing you to eventually run with armour and a power weapon every now and then.

Further, if I'm not mistaken, the Specter costs the same in-game points as the Assault Rifle. Even further, those who pay can customize their own loadout to earn points faster, or maximize their efficiency with the Specter loadout. Those who do not pay must rely on the one preset loadout.

It is. It is the only silenced power weapon (which is a huge thing). The bow is also silenced, but it is not a power weapon. The damage is slightly less than that of the Assault Rifle, but with a higher fire rate and it is silenced.

Good points all around. Let's grab a beer someday lol.

XenoRaven

I don't think there should be two threads on it. I also think there shouldn't be six threads about the game in the first two pages, but that really has nothing to do with the topic at hand.

It's news to me. It's news to a lot of people if you've read some of the posts. People are surprised. I get all my news from here. Usually when there's some form of monetization that people would find disagreeable, there's a thread on it weeks or months in advance of the game's release. That was not the case here. I'm not saying people shouldn't do their research, but this information didn't seem like it was exactly readily available. That, combined with a push to pre-order to get extra content means a lot of people feel they got duped.

I don't have any expectations of where this will lead. Just that I will be much more cautious when I buy Sony first party games, and specifically Naughty Dog games in the future. It seems like you don't want anyone to complain at all which is ridiculous. This is a discussion board, meant for discussion. If you don't like the discussion taking place you are free to abstain.

Geez, if a developer ever made a game about complaining they'd make a fortune since thats what everyone seems to love doing here recently. Every other thread in the past week about anything it seems is just a big circular argument of complaints and outrage.

Yasawas

If you had done the research on the game you'd have know what was up.

Jesus, this argument. I love how I'm expected to research how much money every full-priced product actually costs now after over 20 years of just paying the price on the box. Day 1 DLC is enough of a pisstake as it is, if it affects the balance of the multiplayer at all then clearly it's a shitty, cynical move.

Jesus, this argument. I love how I'm expected to research how much money every full-priced product actually costs now after over 20 years of just paying the price on the box. Day 1 DLC is enough of a pisstake as it is, if it affects the balance of the multiplayer at all then clearly it's a shitty, cynical move.

Being mad at this now all of a sudden instead of 1 year ago is the same as buying a car that says "includes sunroof, heated seats, and gps. rearview camera not included" and being mad that the car you just bought for some reason doesn't include a rearview camera.

Also it doesn't affect the balance of multiplayer. If you didn't know it was there you wouldn't notice anything.

Sify64

Sucks. I've always said PlayStation has always been more a single player console, ND puts out a game with phenomenal multiplayer...and no bloody plays it.
yeah, the multiplayer is so satisfying to play. Saw a live stream of it and had to buy a PS3 to play it as soon as I could.

I hope you mean that, because I'm just outside T.O myself lol.

Oh GAWD! My bluff has been called!

No seriously though, any time bro! Beer is love, beer is life.

Back on topic, Enforcer is a great pistol. I'm having fun with these weapons mainly because I've not used them. I do get my ass handed to me by default weapons so the balance is still there in a way but it is quite shitty that it's locked behind a paywall.

Never have I seen such a passive aggressive OT.

:lol

Also, I fail to see why this information couldn't just be posted in the MP OT, you know, the one dedicated to MP?

theJohann

Why? Because Naughty Dog has a little bit of "Fuck you" for everyone.

But why stop at gouging cosmetic content? Naughty Dog has also provided a variety of weapons purchasable in the SEN store.

I think these portions, along with the thread title, are what is contributing to the reaction you are receiving, OP. The thread comes off as one dedicated to complaining about the ethics behind the microtransactions system rather than detailing the system itself.

Alienous

I think these portions, along with the thread title, are what is contributing to the reaction you are receiving, OP. The thread comes off as one dedicated to complaining about the ethics behind the microtransactions system rather than detailing the system itself.

I think I struck a fair balance.

But it is mainly about describing what the microtransactions are.

There's a thread that contains a lot of debate and little information.

This thread is about knowing what the microtransactions consist of, it isn't about arguing against the idea wholesale.
Interesting, because your tone is completely at odds with this.

Alienous

Interesting, because your tone is completely at odds with this.

Is it? Completely at odds?

The OP isn't simply about advertising the DLC. It's about explaining what it is, and what it costs. There's absolutely a bit of my view in there, and I anticipate that some people might disagree with me. But that's not uncommon in making a thread. The important thing is that the information is there. But it seems a lot of people don't care to read it, and just want to attack the idea of the thread.

No you didn't. To me it seems like you made this thread to just extend and prolong this dumb circular outrage for whatever reason.

Could you explain what this circular outrage is?

graywolf323

Is it? Completely at odds?

The OP isn't simply about advertising the DLC. It's about explaining what it is, and what it costs. There's absolutely a bit of my view in there, and I anticipate that some people might disagree with me. But that's not uncommon in making a thread. The important thing is that the information is there. But it seems a lot of people don't care to read it, and just want to attack the idea of the thread.

you didn't help yourself with how you titled the thread...

impact

Banned
Legitimate complaints = dumb circlejerk outrage now

Just because you don't agree doesn't mean it's stupid.
Don't bother. Some people will defend Naughty Dog even if ND shat in their mouth.

Pretty disgusting DLC tactics by Sony, but we knew they weren't above this.

You do, but you would be wasting money and time. The best weapons in the game are all default weapons. Think there is a total of three DLC weapons altogether.
There are four DLC weapons, three of which are purchaseable (I.e. A waste of loadout points), and one sidearm that is arguably on par with the revolver - but costs one more loadout point that you can utilize a better way.

The people who are complaining about this just strike me as people who don't actually play the MP. In the other thread there were dozens of people saying "oh well I won't touch the MP then!", based on the hyperbolic words of others.
People need to try out the MP and then realize that the DLC stuff is inferior to the base stuff before grabbing a pitchfork.

Not sure why OP is getting so much guff for the thread. If you already knew this info, then just ignore the thread. I didn't know all the details so it was appreciated by me. Thanks OP!

Darknight

In my opinion as a ND fan, I dont approve of this thread. I dont think this thread is needed just like alot others are pointing out.

And I dont really care at all for the DLC of this game or any others. I dont really support DLC for any game so Im not the typical gamer that will "vote" depending on the content. I find that ND has little by little doing these small pay for DLC. I remember Uncharted 2 with skins and Uncharted 3 with other things. Didnt buy anything then either. (got some from PS+ actually)

But my point is that ND seems to be slowly adapting this type of DLC in all their games one way or another. Im sure Uncharted 4 and The Last of Us 2 will have similar things for its MP.

As for content from this game. It seems they really wanted to get people to buy their Season Pass. Again I skipped it. But for those who bough it, they get the plus of getting their content transferred to PS4. Thats pretty neat. And as for the next guns and stuff I feel this game "balances" itself out as some have pointed out. The fact you can buy Armor during the gameplay means the baddies even with the new guns have to really use their skills instead of just 1 shot killing you. As for the sound suppressed guns, I dont really care if they dont show in the map because if they are running, they are making noise and will get spotted anyhow. Also if you have that "Mark" perk, you can spot those people too.

Lastly I have never seen another OT for DLC for a game, even when its "unbalanced". Normally its included in the main game or in the MP thread.

Alienous

In my opinion as a ND fan, I dont approve of this thread. I dont think this thread is needed just like alot others are pointing out.

And I dont really care at all for the DLC of this game or any others. I dont really support DLC for any game so Im not the typical gamer that will "vote" depending on the content. I find that ND has little by little doing these small pay for DLC. I remember Uncharted 2 with skins and Uncharted 3 with other things. Didnt buy anything then either. (got some from PS+ actually)

But my point is that ND seems to be slowly adapting this type of DLC in all their games one way or another. Im sure Uncharted 4 and The Last of Us 2 will have similar things for its MP.

As for content from this game. It seems they really wanted to get people to buy their Season Pass. Again I skipped it. But for those who bough it, they get the plus of getting their content transferred to PS4. Thats pretty neat. And as for the next guns and stuff I feel this game "balances" itself out as some have pointed out. The fact you can buy Armor during the gameplay means the baddies even with the new guns have to really use their skills instead of just 1 shot killing you. As for the sound suppressed guns, I dont really care if they dont show in the map because if they are running, they are making noise and will get spotted anyhow. Also if you have that "Mark" perk, you can spot those people too.

Lastly I have never seen another OT for DLC for a game, even when its "unbalanced". Normally its included in the main game or in the MP thread.

I get you.

I guess I could be classified as an Naughty Dog fan also. This thread isn't about that. It's about having the information for the microtransactions in TLOU: Remastered concentrated and there to be seen.

Naughty Dog's multiplayer monetization efforts sometimes seem purposefully deceptive. Whatever the reason that sense of pride in the multiplayer component doesn't seem to last long. When I played TLOU on PS3 the weapon DLC didn't exist. So naturally, going into Remastered, I expected that if there was anything like that I'd have access to it.

I'll take any opportunity to highlight something that isn't clear to potential purchasers. "This kind of content exists, and this is what it is". I don't think it's a positive, but that's for an individual player to decide.

Top Bottom