• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TLOU: Remastered MP Microtransaction |OT| "We're shitty people"

meppi

So wait. There are 4 preset loadouts and you can't customize those at all unless you pay?

No, you have a number of fully customisable free loadouts that you can change to your liking. Only certain "power weapons" (not really) are locked out from these open load outs unless you unlock them by buying them as an option.

gogogow

It's pretty much an opinion honestly. They are giving you a choice that if you like the loadouts but want a customizable one, pay for it. It really is not the end of the world. They could have just left it the way it was and not even have the option. Also, the dlc guns in COD are a waste in my opinion because if you look around every corner you can pick up one from a downed enemy.

It's not and no one said it was, but it's a pretty terrible practice imo. I rather they left it the way it was, then you are paying for new content. Now you are paying for something that is already on the disc and paying just to get the right to use it in your own customized class. This is the second release of this game in a very short timeframe, surely they can put everything in there, without asking for even more money?

IISANDERII

That is correct. The stuff in the ps store doesn't give you an edge so I don't see it as a bad thing.
So why is it a sold item in the PSN store at all?

In something like Call of Duty you match your weapons, equipment and perks to compliment each other and gain an advantage that you cannot with the default loadouts. but that's not what's happening here?

quickwhips

maps better be free or they will release a season pass later lol and everyone who bought the guns and perks now will have them included then. Either way they are going to piss more people off i bet.

Silky

Banned
Maverick-Onslaught.jpg

0.jpg

so cosmetic

Notice how Ghosts is lauded as one of the worst CoD games in comparison to B. Ops 2 which only has 1 DLC weapon and is universally accepted as one of the best CoDs since MW1.

That doesn't change my argument; stat changing perks or weapons that are blocked by a pay barrier makes the balancing of a MP game incredibly shitty.

That doesn't change my argument; stat changing perks or weapons that are blocked by a pay barrier makes the balancing of a MP game incredibly shitty.

That's a strange argument, I was using the weapons/perks locked behind this pay barrier just last night by selecting a premade loadout. I was doing quite well with these 'pay-barrier' weapons without paying a cent.

Maverick-Onslaught.jpg

0.jpg

so cosmetic

Cod has DLC weapons that aren't an issue. It's mainly that this has been the case with the game since the DLC on PS3 a long long time ago, and was announced to be the case for the PS4 version months ago. During that time we heard no major complaining (because from a balance perspective AFAIK it's not been found to be an issue), now all of a sudden it's like Naughty Dog are the worst company ever.

Here are a few differences:

1) COD has so many weapons that the DLC weapons don't become a significant advantage over the other. With the LoU DLC, there is at least one weapon that is a silenced power weapon, which there is no equivalent to in the base game. There is another power weapon that acts as a grenade launcher. There is no equivalent to a grenade launcher in the base game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFLrEgD0QyU (this power weapon isn't used as commonly nor is it as consistently effective as you see in this video from my experience, but nonetheless, it's a grenade launcher).

Were the COD weapons grenade launchers? Exclusive killstreaks? Or were they simply derivatives of the many, many existing guns that game already has?

2) I think most people can agree that what COD does isn't a good thing either, and comparing LoU to COD to say it's okay doesn't make LoU look any better.

inky

The rule is "New news, new thread".

We had a thread with the exact same contents. It's probably still on the front page.

So? I know the rule. The other rule is also: don't bitch about threads. Moderators will take care of the offenders (you might give them a hand by reporting the thread instead of posting in it) and heck, if you stop replying to a thread you deem useless maybe it will naturally go to the bottom of the page instead of constantly keeping it upfront with complaints about how it shouldn't be there.

Notice how Ghosts is lauded as one of the worst CoD games in comparison to B. Ops 2 which only has 1 DLC weapon and is universally accepted as one of the best CoDs since MW1.

Not disagreeing with you but your initial argument or sarcasm was that it was purely cosmetic which it is not. We should get used to DLC because people buy it and that is what the problem is.

Here are a few differences:

1) COD has so many weapons that the DLC weapons don't become a significant advantage over the other. With the LoU DLC, there is at least one weapon that is a silenced power weapon, which there is no equivalent to in the base game. There is another power weapon that acts as a grenade launcher. There is no equivalent to a grenade launcher in the base game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFLrEgD0QyU (this power weapon isn't used as commonly nor is it as consistently effective as you see in this video from my experience, but nonetheless, it's a grenade launcher).

Were the COD weapons grenade launchers? Exclusive killstreaks? Or were they simply derivatives of the many, many existing guns that game already has?

2) I think most people can agree that what COD does isn't a good thing either, and comparing LoU to COD to say it's okay doesn't make LoU look any better.

I get that but the post was just giving COD as an example of paid for DLC. No one is comparing TLOU and CODs multiplayer to each other.

Nvzman

Why does this thread even need to exist?
Not only was there another topic for this, but also this seems to exist only to trash Naughty Dog.
Considering games like Battlefield 4, Call of Duty, Tom Clancy, and even Dark Souls 2 does shit like this already I don't see any reason for us to suddenly raise our pitchforks and go "Hey Naughty Dog! You suck!"
Now, yes, this is a shifty business practice, but it's not a huge advantage you can get with the DLC weapons or perks. I've put countless hours into the multi player on ps3 without the DLC and never had any issues against people with the dlc. When I bought it, I still barely used any of the weapons outside of experimentation. And really, outside the Enforcer the dlc weapons are really hit or miss.
As I said before, Naughty Dog dun fucked up for this but they shouldn't have their reputation soured by people who probably haven't played the game (and if you haven't played this game or the MP, you should).

LogicStep

They do not suck.

The silenced rifle is a pretty great power weapon. It's like the assault rifle (which is free for everyone) except that it's silent, so you wont show up on radar.

The Enforcer is also pretty powerful from what I gather (I have not used it in a long time so I can't recall. Just going by people's impressions on this one).

There are preset loadouts which give you access to use all the new DLC, but you cannot make your own. On the plus side, ND removed the Level 3 versions of some of these new boosters and combined them into the level 2 versions, which are accessible in the preset loadouts. Basically, the preset loadouts give you access to the paywall content at its best form.

Still, it's a dumb thing to do, because it is not cosmetic, meaning you screw the player balance from day one, regardless of how insignificant you may think it is. For example, the assault rifle is a pretty good power weapon to use, but the silenced auto rifle for the most part does the same job with the added benefit of remaining off the radar. This is a good advantage to have, but you seemingly must pay for it.

It is not pay to win. It is not significant enough or disadvantageous enough to be pay to win. However, surely, some rounds will be won by the fact that some have the freedom to customize their own loadout to have the playstyle they want, while others don't.

It should have been free, and that's the bottom line. If they wanted to nickel and dime us, they could have charged for more class loadout slots and a variety of taunts and cosmetics. But once it affects gameplay even in the slightest, it affects everyone.

I don't see what everyone is arguing about when this is pretty clear cut. Perks and weapons should be unlockable from playing the game without paying a dime. We should be able to customize the classes however we want without having to pay for anything. DLC should be cosmetic stuff. Why are there people defending what Naughty Dog did when the point that most of us are trying to make is so simple to understand?

Silky

Banned
Not disagreeing with you but your initial argument or sarcasm was that it was purely cosmetic which it is not. We should get used to DLC because people buy it and that is what the problem is.

People can do what the fuck they please, I'm not supporting it. I can go other places for multiplayer.

That's a strange argument, I was using the weapons/perks locked behind this pay barrier just last night by selecting a premade loadout. I was doing quite well with these 'pay-barrier' weapons without paying a cent.

Anecdotal evidence doesn't make your statement a fact. You can't customize the way you see fit, unless you pay a fee. That's awful for a multiplayer game.

I don't see what everyone is arguing about when this is pretty clear cut. Perks and weapons should be unlockable from playing the game without paying a dime. We should be able to customize the classes however we want without having to pay for anything. DLC should be cosmetic stuff. Why are there people defending what Naughty Dog did when the point that most of us are trying to make is so simple to understand?

/THANK YOU/

--

And another thing--people who claim the DLC weapons overpowered, well in a game like TLoU MP where making sound can screw you over if you're carless, something like a silenced rifle is a godsend. I stand by The Enforcer being one of the best all around pistols in the game. The only 'shitty' DLC weapon I see in that bunch is the Launcher.

Pretty much.

XenoRaven

Because this is a Naughty Dog thread on GAF.

When Capcom locked content that was on the disc behind a DLC paywall people flipped their fucking lids.

Decent summary of the last thread. However minor people may think it is, this hurts players. There's no upside so why defend it?

XenoRaven

Did Capcom get two threads dedicated to DLC with thread title saying "We are shitty people"?
I don't recall. Probably not. But their games also typically don't get a single player thread, a multiplayer thread, a review thread, and a screenshot thread. So I'd say it evens out.

Well well well. This sucks.

Sony not looking all good now, is it? PS Plus has been terrible on PS4, stupid excuse for EA Access, not proper handling of DriveClub delay and now this, by their most celebrated 1st party developer.

Get your shit together guys.

image.php

Have you tried removing that green bias filter?

Because this is a Naughty Dog thread on GAF.

When Capcom locked content that was on the disc behind a DLC paywall people flipped their fucking lids.
You misspelled Sony. That's why everyone is trying to defend their Naughty Gods.

Both this thread and the other thread is just going around in circles. But nothing is going to happen unless somebody starts that media outlet controversy train, so right now bitching about this isn't going to do a thing. This all sounds like people that are annoyed by something pretending to be pissed off about a first world problem.

Sify64

Thread-shitting galore! I don't see the harm in this thread since it isn't created for the purpose of a debate. Anyway, i guess from now on I won't see a thread hating on micro-transactions in a specific game, because poeple have shown that they aren't really bothered by it.

Alright. Going to try off the weapons. Right off the bat I can see that the guns are purchasable during the game so you can't use it right away.

Spectre costs 350 parts and comes with 14 bullets. It takes the cartridge to kill an enemy, and after that you don't get any ammo resupply unless you buy it, which costs 420 parts for additional 14 bullets. It also costs 3 load out points.

Edit: Every additional 14 bullets costs 490 and 560 parts as you progress.

Thread-shitting galore! I don't see the harm in this thread since it isn't created for the purpose of a debate. Anyway, i guess from now on I won't see a thread hating on micro-transactions in a specific game, because poeple have shown that they aren't really bothered by it.
Everyone's complaining about another thread about the same topic being made literally a day after the previous one. And like I said above, everyone is going in circles. ND hasn't even responded. If anyone legitimately gives a shit, then start that twitter backlash.

Alienous

Alright. Going to try off the weapons. Right off the bat I can see that the guns are purchasable during the game so you can't use it right away.

Spectre costs 350 parts and comes with 14 bullets. It takes the cartridge to kill an enemy, and after that you don't get any ammo resupply unless you buy it, which costs 420 parts for additional 14 bullets. It also costs 3 load out points.

If only the OP contained that information ... ?

XenoRaven

I too am outraged about things on the internet.

Which hashtag should I use to express my anger?
I don't see why it's such a big deal that people are upset. If you're not, great for you, enjoy the game. Some of us aren't big fans of this form of monetization, and I don't think that's such an outrageous thing.

jblank83

It would be a shame not to sell TLoU HD remaster with numerous microtransactions so that new owners who didn't have a PS3 can experience the full wonder of the experience.

Alienous

Oh for sure. I'm trying it out for the first time. This is an OT isn't it?

I think the other participants have made me antagonistic. Sorry.

What's your impression of them? Do you reckon they're worth it (or at least the Specter, seeing as you have tried it)?

So from my impressions, if you have disposable parts and you want to use it then Spectre is quite OP. Good hit rate and low recoil.

It's the only silenced fully-automatic weapon in the game, right? I could see it being OP.

Then again, most of the part bought weapons are.

Sify64

Everyone's complaining about another thread about the same topic being made literally a day after the previous one. And like I said above, everyone is going in circles. ND hasn't even responded. If anyone legitimately gives a shit, then start that twitter backlash.
Why would ND respond? Most of their fans who bought the game knew about the content and did nothing that I'm aware of. There's no point trying to change anything this late. The sequel will surely have this type of content.

Top Bottom