• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TMZ: Carrie Fisher suffers cardiac arrest on plane (Up: in ICU, condition unknown)

Status
Not open for further replies.
If she went ten minutes without breathing I can't see her living besides being a vegatable unfortunately. That's just too long for the brain to be deprived of oxygen. My dad died earlier this year from this very same thing. :(

Yeah, I'm also concerned about how long people said she didn't breath for. 10 minutes is...not an okay amount of time to not have oxygen. :(

Who cares about spoilers, this is someones life we are talking about !

What does this even mean
How do movie spoilers have anything to do with this person's current condition and how does their current condition have anything to do with the plot of a movie
Why even bring it up

It doesn't make any sense to you because a moderator deleted like 30 posts that were related to the post that you quoted

Oh good.

Angelina

Banned
The reason why people are like fuck 2016 etc is its more about names they were brought up with. Alan Rickman david bowie lemmy david gest prince guy hamilton Muhammad ali pete burns and sadly many others I could list here who have passed thisbyear.

Just the names ive picked out are brutal and for many who post here are names that was there childhood and sadly it's only going to get more brutal in years to come actors and musicians who are the greats pass

Tonky

How do we still not know for sure if she's alright? It's been nearly an hour

EDIT - If you think I'm trying to be a troll, you're misinterpreting my post. I'm asking if there's an update on situation to make sure she is in stable condition

Would it be better if she died in 2017? I don't get you people.

Would it be better for people to express their anger however they want and not derail the thread? There's a totally different thread in OT for you to express your frustrations about people's disdain for 2016.

Thanks

Man this really sucks, this may sound like a bad pun But all would want for Christmas is for her to survive and get better. She finally gets in shape is in a good place in her life and this happens.

Jenov

Ugh, very sad to hear. Sudden heart attack in women 50+ is usually not a good outcome. I hope for the best.

Defibrillators don't work on a cardiac arrest. They work on different heart problems (where the heart moves in erratic ways that fail to move blood) and act by causing a cardiac arrest which normally makes the heart restart with a normal rythm (basically a "turn off and on again").

A defibrillator shocks a arhythmic heart into beating properly. It doesn't restart a stopped heart

There's no way to know if her heart had actually stopped. Use of an AED is certainly part of the BLS protocol which includes CPR. You can't tell in the field if somebody's heart is stopped. There are pulse-less arrhythmias which an AED can reverse.

Would it be better for people to express their anger however they want and not derail the thread? There's a totally different thread in OT for you to express your frustrations about people's disdain for 2016.

Thanks

Theres literally nothing to discuss. We have no information. But you are right. Lets get back to Max Landis's tweets.

doop_

Banned
What does this even mean
How do movie spoilers have anything to do with this person's current condition and how does their current condition have anything to do with the plot of a movie
Why even bring it up
People are complaining about an incredibly rude joke someone made containing spoilers for a silly movie.

Jarrod38

Since none of us where on the plane and not doctors how about we wait until we get official word from the hospital or her family. The only thing we know so far she had a heart attack and CPR was used.

Please stop asking about AED's and defibrillators etc. A large number of cardiac arrests never receive electrical therapy because the underlying cardiac rhythm does not require it. High powered CPR is your best chance of survival among a boat load of other factors ( extent of cardiac injury, extent of hypoxia to the brain, pre existing health problems and co mobidity factors etc etc ). From there it's a factor of the competence of the EMS system followed by the distance to the closest hospital with appropriate resources.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
What does this even mean
Why even bring it up
It doesn't make any sense to you because a moderator deleted like 30 posts that were related to the post that you quoted

Jedi2016

Yes, there was probably an AED on board, and yes, they probably used it, which means they hooked it up... it's an Automatic defibrillator, remember.. it will discharge if it needs to, and if it detects a type of arrest that it cannot assist with (or worse, would kill the patient), then it will not discharge.

It's not some magical "fix all heart problems" machine like you see in the movies.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
There's no way to know if her heart had actually stopped. Use of an AED is certainly part of the BLS protocol which includes CPR. You can't tell in the field if somebody's heart is stopped. There are pulse-less arrhythmias which an AED can reverse.

AEDs analyze the heart rhythm and can differentiate between the four types of cardiac arrest. Any ECG could also be available in the field and would show the specific rhythm. So I'm not sure what you're talking about really.

Hagi

It's been an hour and nobody has updated us on her condition. I assume other people were on the flight, we just need someone to tell us that she's alright and in stable condition.

I think they would be more interested in informing her family than the fucking media.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Theres literally nothing to discuss. We have no information. But you are right. Lets get back to Max Landis's tweets.
In that case, it might be a good idea to just stop posting for the time being.

the_id

Defibrillators don't work on a cardiac arrest. They work on different heart problems (where the heart moves in erratic ways that fail to move blood) and act by causing a cardiac arrest which normally makes the heart restart with a normal rythm (basically a "turn off and on again").

Cardiac arrests can be in 2 types of rhythm - SHOCKABLE and NON-SHOCKABLE rhythm. That's why we ALWAYS put pads and defibrillators on. If the rhythm is a NON-SHOCKABLE rhythm, we carry on with CPR. If it is a SHOCKABLE rhythm, you give the shocks. Up to 3x

All AEDs well help analyse the rhythm and tell you to shock or carry on with the CPR only.

AEDs analyze the heart rhythm and can differentiate between the four types of cardiac arrest. Any ECG could also be available in the field and would show the specific rhythm. So I'm not sure what you're talking about really.

Right, an AED can analyze the rhythm and determine if a shock is appropriate or not.

Those posts I was quoting implied an AED would have been pointless since her heart was already stopped. Unless I misinterpreted them.

I should have said you can't determine whether or not a heart is stopped without an ECG / AED in the field, my bad. Long day at work.

Plum

It's a legitimate question, what's with the rude response?

That is the function of CPR, yes. But ten minutes of complete apnea and arrest prior to CPR is not a good start. CPR in general, despite what the media depicts, has abysmally low survival rates.

Obviously I'm not involved in her care, but from what we've heard so far it sounds like she will probably not make it.

Like I said, I have no medical knowledge so CPR is just a movie thing to me. Frankly even abysmally low is enough to give me some hope she'll pull through, but lets just wait and see.

Hupsel

Sending my prayers <3
Love Carrie, she is always fun and a great person in the interviews I saw.
Growing up I loved watching her, Harrison Ford and Mark Hamill in Star Wars like a lot of people here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom