• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TMZ: Carrie Fisher suffers cardiac arrest on plane (Up: in ICU, condition unknown)

Status
Not open for further replies.
A layperson should ALWAYS use an AED if available. The AED analyzes the rhythm, and will tell the use whether a shock is advised. It will also tell the layman when to continue CPR or stop so the shock can be delivered. There is literally no harm in using a modern AED on someone that is available in most buildings.

Neat.

E92 M3

And it could be a long time before anyone knows anything. When my dad had his heart attack, he was in a coma for almost a week before he passed.

Yeah, when it comes to heart attacks time to treatment is the biggest foe. Every minute and second counts. Depending on what type of heart attack she had, even more so.

A layperson should ALWAYS use an AED if available. The AED analyzes the rhythm, and will tell the use whether a shock is advised. It will also tell the layman when to continue CPR or stop so the shock can be delivered. There is literally no harm in using a modern AED on someone that is available in most buildings.

Correct. If anything, the average AED you'd find in an emergency kit is geared towards a layperson using it. Visual guide of where to place the pads, voice instructions about when to start, stop CPR, deliver the shock, etc.

what the hell.. just an hour or two ago i randomly thought about her and wondered how she might be doing.

christ.. don't die on xmas come on :((

An otherwise young and fit person only has a survival rate of about 5%.

An older person with comorbidities drops down to less than 1%. And if they do survive they often end up in a nursing home.

Can you please give a citation for this? In my CPR classes your survival rate is actually high with an AED and your survival rate lowers every minute you don't have one.

zeemumu

Yeah, my point is that "not good" doesn't mean anything. She's in a critical condition, of course that's not good.

It's not something to read into.

For medical stuff, "not good" usually means that the odds of recovery are low. It's not a description of the problem itself.

pestul

I never knew that.

So, if her brain didn't get oxygen for 10 minutes, if she pulls through, is there a chance she won't have permanent damage?
If they were performing CPR that whole time she was getting oxygenated blood. Lets hope anyway.

Cabal

I hope she pulls through. My thoughts are definitely with her and her family. I can't even imagine having something like this happen mid flight. Truly horrifying.

Hagi

So that the thousands of people that have their best prayers and wishes for her can know that she will be alright?

Yeah how about no. Her family trumps a bunch of randoms, it is not important for you to have up to date notifications of her condition. I swear with things like this people want a fucking live blog.

Well apparently I've never taken a class on Medical ethics. I sincerely apologize to her and her family

It's next door to the class for common sense.

cordy

Banned
I dunno if it's because I'm getting old or what but 2016 has had far more celebrity deaths than any year I can remember.

Definitely more memorable ones from our childhood. Besides MJ's passing, this year I can damn near tell you where I was, what I was doing and what I was thinking when I got the message another celebrity has passed. It's sad.

We just want to know if someone we like is going to continue on living? What's so hard to understand about this?

Why don't people who want to antagonize others go elsewhere and do it?

HIPPA. I know you mean well but even something as simple as someone's overall prognosis or whether or not they're still alive is protected medical information and not something the public is generally entitled to without the family / patient's consent.

We just want to know if someone we like is going to continue on living? What's so hard to understand about this?

Why don't people who want to antagonize others go elsewhere and do it?

Wanting to know is different than complaining about not being informed when you have no right to. Obviously we'd all like more information, but you can also be reasonable and realistic.

Koomaster

Ugh, hope she's okay and has a restful recovery. That's crazy, I would hope to never have a medical emergency while on a plane. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom