• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TMZ: Carrie Fisher suffers cardiac arrest on plane (Up: in ICU, condition unknown)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I never knew that.

So, if her brain didn't get oxygen for 10 minutes, if she pulls through, is there a chance she won't have permanent damage?

Part of the reason to do CPR is to circulate blood which itself is oxygenated. So this theoretically helps to keep everything including the brain from being as damaged. 10 minutes is bad though.

A defibrillator shocks a arhythmic heart into beating properly. It doesn't restart a stopped heart
Cardiac arrest includes states where the heart is contracting in an uncoordinated fashion.

Some of you seem to think cardiac arrest is only when there's no heart beat or electrical activity.

AEDs will determine if the type of cardiac arrest is treatable with shock or not.

Dirca

Not breathing for 10 minutes is well into brain damage territory, isn't it? If this is the case and she does survive, I'd think her quality of life would be terrible

do you not see the difference between a lethal illness and a year?

The point is that both are meaningless. "Cancer" is not a thing you can fuck. And everybody hates it. It sort of goes without saying. But it's also just the way some people vent or deal with these kinds of circumstances. We are posters on a message board in a thread about a celebrity being potentially gravely ill. It's ultimately totally harmless. Let it go. Let people express their sentiments the way they want. At the end of the day "fuck 2016" is no more or less of a valueble post than "thoughts and prayers with...".

How do we still not know for sure if she's alright? It's been nearly an hour

EDIT - If you think I'm trying to be a troll, you're misinterpreting my post. I'm asking if there's an update on situation to make sure she is in stable condition

I think they want to give time to let the family know... :-(

Right, an AED can analyze the rhythm and determine if a shock is appropriate or not.

Those posts I was quoting implied an AED would have been pointless since her heart was already stopped. Unless I misinterpreted them.

I should have said you can't determine whether or not a heart is stopped without an ECG / AED in the field, my bad. Long day at work.

There's a common misconception that defibrillators restart stopped hearts, which is all I was addressing. I'm sure the inside baseball gets a lot more complicated than that.

Cardiac arrest includes states where the heart is contracting in an uncoordinated fashion.

Some of you seem to think cardiac arrest is only when there's no heart beat or electrical activity.

AEDs will determine if the type of cardiac arrest is treatable with shock or not.

Sure, again, I was more addressing the "you don't use a difibrillator for every cardiac arrest" angle. I'm sure it gets a lot more complicated when you get to the nitty gritty.

Not breathing for 10 minutes is well into brain damage territory, isn't it? If this is the case and she does survive, I'd think her quality of life would be terrible

It's very hard to say. Some people go a lot longer with no noticeable effects, some people go a lot less with much worse.

10 minutes is a long time though

Terrible news. CVD is the number one killer of women in the US and it doesn't get nearly enough money/attention during awareness campaigns. Plus, the need for gender-specific research because women can have different symptoms vs. men.

Davide

The point is that both are meaningless. "Cancer" is not a thing you can fuck. And everybody hates it. It sort of goes without saying. But it's also just the way some people vent or deal with these kinds of circumstances. We are posters on a message board in a thread about a celebrity being potentially gravely ill. It's ultimately totally harmless. Let it go. Let people express their sentiments the way they want. At the end of the day "fuck 2016" is no more or less of a valueble post than "thoughts and prayers with...".

+1

MechaX

That's what I was thinking when I saw the 10 minutes thing. I am hoping she pulls out of it, but goddamn is this looking grim.

There's a common misconception that defibrillators restart stopped hearts, which is all I was addressing. I'm sure the inside baseball gets a lot more complicated than that.

Sure, again, I was more addressing the "you don't use a difibrillator for every cardiac arrest" angle. I'm sure it gets a lot more complicated when you get to the nitty gritty.

I'm pretty sure Hollywood takes all the blame for it.

A layperson should ALWAYS use an AED if available. The AED analyzes the rhythm, and will tell the use whether a shock is advised. It will also tell the layman when to continue CPR or stop so the shock can be delivered. There is literally no harm in using a modern AED on someone that is available in most buildings.

Jedi2016

What's the right push?
Usually a physical one in my experience, aggressive CPR or direct heart massage. In cases of heart surgery, there's ways of kick-starting a heart, but I don't know the specifics (and it probably wouldn't work on a damaged heart that stopped on its own).

stryke

Like I said, I have no medical knowledge so CPR is just a movie thing to me. Frankly even abysmally low is enough to give me some hope she'll pull through, but lets just wait and see.

An otherwise young and fit person only has a survival rate of about 5%.

An older person with comorbidities drops down to less than 1%. And if they do survive they often end up in a nursing home.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom