• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TMZ: Carrie Fisher suffers cardiac arrest on plane (Up: in ICU, condition unknown)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Media

Perhaps everyone could stop quoting the spoiler...I missed the initial post and got spoiled by the ensuing landslide of outrage quoting.

On topic, I really hope she pulls through.

Plum

If she went ten minutes without breathing I can't see her living besides being a vegatable unfortunately. That's just too long for the brain to be deprived of oxygen. My dad died earlier this year from this very same thing. :(

Not to diminish your tragic circumstance at all but, to anyone with medical knowledge here, does CPR provide oxygen to the brain or does it do something else entirely?

Caja 117

As we get older, the people we grew up get even older. It's the unfortunate thing about reality. 2017 will be no different. The first celebrity passing will bring the "2017 already blows posts". And so on, and so on.

Get better Carrie Fisher.

Maybe, but I really doubt 2017 will be like this year from my perspective. but this is not the thread to talk about this.

Not to diminish your tragic circumstance at all but, to anyone with medical knowledge here, does CPR provide oxygen to the brain or does it do something else entirely?

That is the only goal of CPR. Pushing on the chest is meant to do the heart's work of pumping blood, which carries oxygen, throughout the body, including to the brain.

kai3345

Banned
I'm not wild on Landis to say the least, but his friends (who were actually there) told him she had died, so he tweeted RIP.

What's the problem?

Even if she is dead, it's not his place to make that announcement before an official statement from a medical professional, ESPECIALLY if he wasn't even there and is only hearing info secondhand.

Plus the way he did it was shitty too, just posting "RIP" and not something like "My two friends were there, they believe her to have passed, but they aren't doctors so wait on official word", or something like that.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Max Landis and the friends he's citing are all awful people according to everyone who encounters their circle. They'll use anything to their advantage.

Davide

2016 has been the worst year I've known for deaths both with celebrities and personal friends. It's not a meme.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>

That is the function of CPR, yes. But ten minutes of complete apnea and arrest prior to CPR is not a good start. CPR in general, despite what the media depicts, has abysmally low survival rates.

Obviously I'm not involved in her care, but from what we've heard so far it sounds like she will probably not make it.

Vestal

Would it be better if she died in 2017? I don't get you people.

How about 2016 has been a maximum crappy year for everyone? Between Childhood memories being washed away, to the Orange Turd becoming President, the tragedies in Aleppo, Germany and the countless losses we have had of people that while we might not have known them personally have been a part of our lives or have inspired a lot of us..

cordy

Banned
Yeah I gotta agree with the people who say that "Fuck 2016" shit is ridiculous. Might as well say "Fuck all the years" because we know how things will end up being. People will be saying "Fuck (insert whatever year it is)" until they die. Either way that's not the point of the thread.

I hope she pulls through though. She's strong. Let's hope for the best.

Makai

Yeah I gotta agree with the people who say that "Fuck 2016" shit is ridiculous. Might as well say "Fuck all the years" because we know how things will end up being. People will be saying "Fuck (insert whatever year it is)" until they die. Either way that's not the point of the thread.

I hope she pulls through though. She's strong. Let's hope for the best.
I dunno if it's because I'm getting old or what but 2016 has had far more celebrity deaths than any year I can remember.

styl3s

Would it be better if she died in 2017? I don't get you people.
Take a step back from your computer and just process all the shit that's been going on in the world this year and tell me you don't want it to fucking end. It's not just about a handful of celebrity deaths.

Fuck 2016, it's been a terrible year and carrie fisher dying (which i hope she doesn't) just adds more icing on the shit filled cake people have been having to eat all fucking year. Maybe you just live in your own bubble where nothing effects you.

As for Carrie i hope she pulls through she seems to of been doing better but i don't know how she was in her personal life but i have met her over a dozen times in my life and she was always a wonderful, lively and cheerful person. She was also incredibly influential on my sisters lives and many others. I pray for her and her family.

KDR_11k

Did they not use a defibrillator?

Defibrillators don't work on a cardiac arrest. They work on different heart problems (where the heart moves in erratic ways that fail to move blood) and act by causing a cardiac arrest which normally makes the heart restart with a normal rythm (basically a "turn off and on again").

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom