• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TMZ: Carrie Fisher suffers cardiac arrest on plane (Up: in ICU, condition unknown)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Can you please give a citation for this? In my CPR classes your survival rate is actually high with an AED and your survival rate lowers every minute you don't have one.

They may be using return of circulation odds rather than survival to discharge. It's not hard to get pulses back in an arrest especially with quick AED, but the odds of actual survival are very very low unless there is a specific reversible cause.

Costa Kid

And 2017 is around the corner. Once the first negative story hits, "Fuck 2017" posts will start.
I'm fine with people saying it's the shittiest year or whatever, but I think it's silly when they say "bring on 2017" or something along those lines. 2017 is probably going to be worse, politically.

iammeiam

So... My dad was found unconscious and not breathing in an airport bathroom on the other side of the country towards the end of October. It took them hours to notify my mother. She couldn't get a flight out there until the next morning, and once she got out there we proceeded to learn they couldn't tell us anything concrete. Just days of not knowing the big picture, aside from everything looked bad. It took close to two weeks for them to determine there was sufficient brain activity to indicate he was still in there somewhere, and two weeks after the heart attack they finally rolled him in for a triple bypass that went terribly. It was multiple days after he went into surgery--during which they hooked him up to an LVAD and an ECMO and there was a contentious hospital transfer-- before they finally told us for the first time he was going to live.

He had a heart attack on October 25th, and November 10th was the first day anybody felt comfortable saying he'd actually be able to eventually come home.

Medical science is fucking amazing, but there is a lot of uncertainty and not knowing. Informing the public shouldn't be anyone's concern right now, and silence from doctors doesn't mean much to me right now because depending on what happened they might not know how this is going to go.

Downhome

There is no doubt that an AED was used unless they were purely careless. That is one of the main things in basic first aid these days.

Awful news, I pray she pulls through.

stryke

Can you please give a citation for this? In my CPR classes your survival rate is actually high with an AED and your survival rate lowers every minute you don't have one.

It's some numbers spouted off in my ALS courses. If I recall correctly these numbers are for people who have an arrest outside of a hospital.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Best of luck to her, hope she pulls through :(

So... My dad was found unconscious and not breathing in an airport bathroom on the other side of the country towards the end of October. It took them hours to notify my mother. She couldn't get a flight out there until the next morning, and once she got out there we proceeded to learn they couldn't tell us anything concrete. Just days of not knowing the big picture, aside from everything looked bad. It took close to two weeks for them to determine there was sufficient brain activity to indicate he was still in there somewhere, and two weeks after the heart attack they finally rolled him in for a triple bypass that went terribly. It was multiple days after he went into surgery--during which they hooked him up to an LVAD and an ECMO and there was a contentious hospital transfer-- before they finally told us for the first time he was going to live.

He had a heart attack on October 25th, and November 10th was the first day anybody felt comfortable saying he'd actually be able to eventually come home.

Medical science is fucking amazing, but there is a lot of uncertainty and not knowing. Informing the public shouldn't be anyone's concern right now, and silence from doctors doesn't mean much to me right now because depending on what happened they might not know how this is going to go.

Damn. Sorry you had to experience that, glad for your family and your dad though :)

Strimei

God I hope she pulls through.

I also didn't realize she is only 60. That's my mother's age. Still plenty of years left, please...

nachum00

The reality is, every year more people you know will get older and more people you know will die. Every year is going to get worse than the last year on average.
Exactly, and with a Trump presidency the next few years stand to be worse than anything in 2016. So please stop with this internet meme garbage.

Patrick Klepek

furiously molesting tim burton

Wow. My father passed of a heart attack a few years ago. They couldn't really do anything, though you can't help but live your life wondering what if.

Tonky

Yeah how about no. Her family trumps a bunch of randoms, it is not important for you to have up to date notifications of her condition. I swear with things like this people want a fucking live blog.

It's next door to the class for common sense.
You need to calm down. It was an honest mistake, stop being so vitriolic.

Hagi

That's really nice to hear, best wishes to your dad.

You need to calm down. It was an honest mistake, stop being so vitriolic.

I'm pretty calm.

She's probably getting the best medical care too now.

Were there any complications it is he more or less back to normal now?

Joeytj

Banned
Fuck man, I was honestly hoping we would get a "2016 ends on a hopeful note" type of thing, but the hits keep on coming.

Pull through Carrie, we need a strong woman like you IRL and I would hate to see Leia's story be over like this also.

Betty

Banned
Exactly, and with a Trump presidency the next few years stand to be worse than anything in 2016. So please stop with this internet meme garbage.

It's just been a very rough year, people need to lash out at something, may as well be the year itself.

Hoping for the best. Carrie Fisher is one of the coolest people out there. I have enjoyed her candor and humor over the years and of course she is what I think of when I think of princess.

Javaman

It's some numbers spouted off in my ALS courses. If I recall correctly these numbers are for people who have an arrest outside of a hospital.

Survival also greatly depends on if the CA is due to underlying health issues, or an outside force (drowning, drug overdose) on a normally healthy person. The latter is much more survivable.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom