• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

to many games this fall!

cvxfreak

Templar Wizard said:
i think most people have to buy everything at once because they want to post about it first here.
but that may or may not be true. :)

Certain games I just have to have at the beginning. Like RE4 and the Pokemon stuff. DS also comes close. Everything else is fair game basically.

NotMSRP

Priority would go to any scarce titles like Atlus stuff. Games with a million print run will be picked up during a Wario posting.

MGS3, GTA: SA, & GT4 are guaranteed to be GH titles. So I'll pick them up on the cheap and before non-GH versions become hard to find.

You guys better pick up Gradius V. That won't be around forever. It was hard enough to track down 3&4.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
jarrod said:
I didn't see GTA on his list. :p

Thankfully, or else he'd be two for two.

I'd much rather throw my money at Katamari Damashii or a new Klonoa over something like Pokemon or GTA...

cvxfreak

There ARE reasons why GTA and Pokemon have continued to find success. They're not exactly games people cringe at. I myself HATED HATED HATED HATED HATED GTAIII but won't deny the game's great to certain people.

dark10x

CVXFREAK said:
There ARE reasons why GTA and Pokemon have continued to find success. They're not exactly games people cringe at. I myself HATED HATED HATED HATED HATED GTAIII but won't deny the game's great to certain people.

That's how I feel about Pokemon. It's a sad attempt at copying the RPG formula, but lacks everything that makes any quality RPG any good. They replace "quality" with stupid "trading" bullshit that tries to sucker everyone into buying very similar games over and over again. Drives me crazy. I've TRIED to play it, but found it to be painfully below average as far RPGs are concerned. Then you just have all those spin-offs coming from all directions. Even if I sometimes come off as being harsh on the latest Mario or Zelda adventure, I still buy and love them (and believe they are good games) while I actually do not believe Pokemon is a very good game at all. Of course, I can understand why people enjoy it...but the problem is that I can't fathom how anyone over the age of 13 could enjoy it. :\

I actually like GTA, though not for reasons that most people do. However, there are MANY MANY other games I will pick up before GTA-SA.

The sad thing is, many series which also continue to find success are even worse...

Popularity should never be used to judge quality.

cvxfreak

dark10x said:
That's how I feel about Pokemon. It's a sad attempt at copying the RPG formula, but lacks everything that makes any quality RPG any good. They replace "quality" with stupid "trading" bullshit that tries to sucker everyone into buying very similar games over and over again. Drives me crazy. I've TRIED to play it, but found it to be painfully below average as far RPGs are concerned. Then you just have all those spin-offs coming from all directions. Even if I sometimes come off as being harsh on the latest Mario or Zelda adventure, I still buy and love them (and believe they are good games) while I actually do not believe Pokemon is a very good game at all. Of course, I can understand why people enjoy it...but the problem is that I can't fathom how anyone over the age of 13 could enjoy it. :\

I actually like GTA, though not for reasons that most people do. However, there are MANY MANY other games I will pick up before GTA-SA.

The sad thing is, many series which also continue to find success are even worse...

It all goes back to my flexibility. I enjoy a violent, bloody game like Resident Evil, as well as disturbing, cult-based Silent Hill games but I also like Pokemon which is on the other end of the spectrum. I personally prefer Pokemon's simplicty over other RPGs - I mainly enjoy ones where you select an option and attack, which is why I also loved FF4 so much.

I HATED HATED HATED blah blah blah GTAIII because I never found much of it compelling and the shoddy city attitudes (prostitutes, swearing) got on my nerves after awhile. I didn't find it fun either.

dark10x

It all goes back to my flexibility. I enjoy a violent, bloody game like Resident Evil, as well as disturbing, cult-based Silent Hill games but I also like Pokemon which is on the other end of the spectrum. I personally prefer Pokemon's simplicty over other RPGs - I mainly enjoy ones where you select an option and attack, which is why I also loved FF4 so much.

Sure, and like I said, I'm just as flexible (if not more so). I buy games I think I'll enjoy no matter what the content. I love RPGs, but I think Pokemon simply isn't good. However, I don't dislike it because of the somewhat "kiddie" look. That has nothing to do with it. Heck, I often end up playing games geared towards younger folks in order to practice my Japanese reading skills. I don't play Pokemon because I believe the game design to be poor. That's it.

I also can enjoy darker games...but a lot of my favorites are anything but "dark". I can enjoy games in any genre on any platform with any theme as long as the game is good. The ONLY genre that I can honestly admit doesn't appeal to me AT ALL would be sports.

jarrod

Banned
The appeal of Pokemon is in it's social aspect though (battling, trading, etc) and that's also where the stunning game design/strategy comes in. If you're playing Pokemon like a traditional RPG (by yourself), of course you'll just end up dissapointed. Thankfully there's some 92 million Pokemon fans out there to play with. :)

cvxfreak

That's cool. I understand why you hate Pokemon, and the reasoning is, well, reasonable. :p

To be honest, some of my Pokemon fandom also comes from the Japanese cartoon. Many truly dedicated anime fans wouldn't like the show at all, but I'm a fan of the music in particular which is something the Japanese Pokemon show's always been good at.

The only genre I seem to be totally jinxed in is racing (except for MKDD), and FPS (I hated Metroid Prime!!!). I dunno how to describe myself other than either really kiddy or really not-so-kiddy. :D

dark10x

jarrod said:
The appeal of Pokemon is in it's social aspect though (battling, trading, etc) and that's also where the stunning game design/strategy comes in. If you're playing Pokemon like a traditional RPG (by yourself), of course you'll just end up dissapointed. Thankfully there's some 92 million Pokemon fans out there to play with. :)

I know, that's why I believe it is appealing to kids. When I was young, my friend and I actually created a very robust card game (in the style of Magic or something) based on our own toon creations. It was a massive hit and we actually sold decks (which were difficult to make). Trading cards (which really WERE rare), challenging people, and generally having a good time. That was appealing back then, but it just doesn't work nowadays.

Visiting a friend in order to trade and battle different Pokemon doesn't appeal, but I suppose the inner child is still alive and well in many people.

I hated Metroid Prime

/me falls on floor in shock

How could you possibly hate that masterpiece?!? Ah well...as long as your argument doesn't involve controls, it doesn't matter. :p

cvxfreak

jarrod said:

Bingo! That's honestly how I feel about Pokemon. Kids back in the day, and even today, loved the cards because they could play against their friends. I knew of many kids who would meet up with their friends at school for a quick battle or a quick trade.

I'm personally restricted to the show and games in this day, but I still find them undeniably fun even in my older age.

cvxfreak

dark10x said:

How could you possibly hate that masterpiece?!? Ah well...as long as your argument doesn't involve controls, it doesn't matter. :p

It's weird. I got a headache everytime I played the game. Whenever Samus was hit, I was annoyed by how her visor flashed. The bright lights against the dark environments also made me turn my head a bit. The actual gameplay was interestingly good though, but my eyes just couldn't handle it for some reason.

jarrod

Banned
dark10x said:
I know, that's why I believe it is appealing to kids. When I was young, my friend and I actually created a very robust card game (in the style of Magic or something) based on our own toon creations. It was a massive hit and we actually sold decks (which were difficult to make). Trading cards (which really WERE rare), challenging people, and generally having a good time. That was appealing back then, but it just doesn't work nowadays.

Visiting a friend in order to trade and battle different Pokemon doesn't appeal, but I suppose the inner child is still alive and well in many people.
I dunno, I'd say competition really transcends age. It's the main reason games like Street Fighter or Pokemon are elevated to mainstream phenomenons... the fact that you can't reconcile the social component of Pokemon into your own adult lifestyle doesn't make that aspect of appeal inherently youth focused in general. Get over yourself.

I agree with Jarrod. It sounds like you're looking at Pokemon the completely wrong way, dark10x - if you're looking for a substantial RPG and think the trading/collection involved is "bullshit," obviously you won't like the game. It's a monster raising/trading/battle game in a very loose RPG shell. Nobody plays it for its deep story line. We all know it's not gonna get much more complex than "go to this town, fight the trainer, go to that town, fight the trainer."

No, but it shouldn't be held against a game either. It's a bit much to say Pokemon fans are just being "suckered in" by an "overhyped, popular fad." Most of the people who I play Pokemon with are adults in their mid-late 20s who have been playing games all across the spectrum - one of the ones I play it with the most is primarily a fan of those ridiculously long, difficult, no-hand-holding PC RPGs like Might & Magic - for their entire lives. We're not all just idiots and kids.

But besides all that, I simply refuse to take any guff from a guy who just recently argued passionately about the merits of Haven and Voodoo Vince! ;) :p

jarrod

Banned
dark10x said:

Backtracking, backtracking, backtracking. I think Zelda's 3D translation just spoiled me too, Metroid wasn't up to par... though really, Metroid's never been up par with Zelda. :p

dark10x

But besides all that, I simply refuse to take any guff from a guy who just recently argued passionately about the merits of Haven and Voodoo Vince!

Thanks for taking it out of context...

My argument was that they were better than junk like Jak and Daxter. Have you even played those 3 games to compare? It isn't as if I'd pay full price for them or anything (try, $4.99). Consider how much money you've probably spent on Pokemon... ;)

Backtracking, backtracking, backtracking. I think Zelda's 3D translation just spoiled me too, Metroid wasn't up to par... though really, Metroid's never been up par with Zelda. :p[p/quote]

Well, opinions continue to differ. Prime blows the doors off of every Zelda game ever made IMO (though, Zelda 3 might be the only exception). :p

jarrod

Banned
dark10x said:
Well, opinions continue to differ. Prime blows the doors off of every Zelda game ever made IMO (though, Zelda 3 might be the only exception). :p
Opinions do differ I guess... Zelda 3? Now there's an "overhyped popular fad". ;)

cvxfreak

I may as well contribute the fact that I never loved any Zelda game I played, and that includes every main one and recently, FSA. They're alright as far as adventure games are concerned but I don't care to get passed the first dungeon in any of them. :(:(

Perhaps I'm not as flexible as I claim to be.

dark10x

jarrod said:
Opinions do differ I guess... Zelda 3? Now there's an "overhyped popular fad". ;)

Hey, I was a kid, what do you expect? The only other Zelda games that can compare (IMO) are Majora's Mark and Link's Awakening on the original GB...but I still place Prime above those.

Ranger X

The market is so fucking crowded this coming holiday.... 2003 was not even near being dramatic and we saw articles in many medias regarding "what the fuck happen - too many games didn't sell".

People just can't buy all those games. It's like all the games for one year are now coming out during October-November-December. Publishers are dumb.
2004 will be the year of cries. Cries of concerned people who made or wanted to sell those 200 games that will crash this holiday in favor of dozen major titles that will wipe out all the sales.

After that, too dumb to realise that it's not because their games were not good but because they should create other sales point during the year, they will cancel the sequels of many titles and some good games that will flop and would have include good idea will be put on the list "never do that again in another title".

This will create a rising trend of games that will look and play like the dozen of titles that will sell this coming holiday. After that, analyst will notice the repetitiveness and lack and sales going down and predict a market crash in a couple of years.

Us gamers will be bored just like the analyst say because we want new games and not same shit over and over. Publishers and develloper will not want to take more risk at original game because the global sales of videogame will be going down so this will create a never ending bad cycle.

WE ARE TEH DOOMED.

Top Bottom